ImageImageImageImageImage

Washington Wizards Board Combat Sports Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Washington Wizards Board Combat Sports Thread 

Post#61 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jul 8, 2012 4:53 pm

Ed Wood wrote:And in this case I'm actually inclined toward the opposite impression of the fight, between the strange and somewhat anticlimactic finishes and the protracted bouts between older fighters struggling to maintain the fitness to persevere in the later rounds.

Ed, today I'm more composed. I was elated to see Sonnen get smashed. I respect his ability but he took the trash talk too far. He said he'd pat Anderson's wife on the butt and make sure she made him a steak just the way he liked it. (Shades of Clubber Lang, Rocky III) What really bothered me was he talked about Brazil. He said Anderson and his friends were playing in the mud as Chael and his friends celebrated American technology and ingenuity. Said he'd get a care package and send them some soap. Ed, I wanted him to get his ass kicked. I loved the way he got his ass kick. Slipped and fell on his face. He got finished in a fetal ball. I love it when someone who has it coming gets theirs. People were high-fiving in the sports bar I was in on an AF base. Black and white (well, most of the white fans wanted Sonnen--understandable, let's face it. Guy looks like a rock star or a movie star. He took Anderson down in 4 seconds!) Any way, there was absolutely nothing anticlimactic to me.

The undercard fights were marked by contests that were quite close and should therefore have been fairly intriguing but I generally found myself somewhat ambivalent even when I disagreed with the decision rendered (the Tibau v. Nurmagomedov fight) and overall just managed a sort of Bronx cheer appreciation for Melvin Guillard's thoughtful victory because he managed to go fifteen minutes without throwing himself into some submission or other.

Agreed.

Tibau beat the young guy, IMO. Nurmagomedov cried at the end and you could tell he thought he lost. I thought perhaps he earned a split decision, but there is NO WAY that should have been unanimous 30-27 across the board.

Guillard was a surprise to me, too. Usually in a high level fight he pounds a guy for two minutes and does something silly and gets submitted. I have never seen Melvin go that long and be that composed.

The McKenzie v. Mendes and Kim v. Maia fights were both unfortunate, the former because McKenzie really shouldn't be booked in fights against someone of Mendes' caliber and it showed very quickly and the later because I was almost sure that it was going to turn into a terrible kickboxing fight and it's unfortunate that it ended so quickly after Maia showed a willingness to actually fight to his strengths. Hopefully he'll continue to eschew his bland standup at welterweight.

I saw McKenzie put a beat down on one fighter on TUF, but you're right Ed, he was out of his league. I told my son it looked like an adult beating up a kid.

The Maia/Zombie fight disappointed me, too. I think what happened is he suffered a cartilage separation. Perhaps superior strength from coming down in weight but rehydrating gave Maia a huge advantage. Seemed like he put the body lock and squeezed up. That with the way the Korean Zombie landed put a lot of pressure in one spot. I didn't see a strike that could break a rib, but the way he landed all the stress went to his side. Weird injury.

The next two fights might have been much more appealing if I'd had a sentimental attachment to those involved but without that added inducement I felt both were less than exceptional. I'm no more convinced that Cung Le is relevant as an UFC fighter after the performance Patrick Cote turned in in a losing effort and Griffin managed to very emphatically underscore his weaknesses as a fighter, defense in all arenas, while nevertheless beating Tito Ortiz by virtue of not turning to stone after the first round.

Ed, those next two fights to me were very appealing. I never thought much of Cung Le before, but he fought a very strategic, intelligent fight IMO. Cote and he both looked a little soft, but particularly the latter. Still, it was like a chess match IMO.

Forrest definitely has no defense. Tito had no gas. I wonder why he looked so red. A lot of guys look red like that from performance enhancers. Ortiz did appear to be a statue for a while there. I think his emotions might have got too him. Still, Forrest allowed Tito to look pretty good and the fight was at least entertaining. It went the way I thought it would. At least Tito put on a good show in spurts. I thought they could have given him a sentimental draw. So did Forrest. One of the knockdowns was fairly impressive.

The title fight did at least highlight the strengths of each fighter very well: phenomenal takedowns in the case of Sonnen and an amazing ability to inflict a lot of damage in a relatively small numbers of strikes and short time in the case of Silva. Sonnen remains a solid fighter who is a very bad stylistic matchup for Silva because of his wrestling but the combination of Silva's potential to end a fight standing very quickly and Sonnen's historically very bad submission defense on the ground makes it unlikely that Sonnen would win more than a fight or two out of ten if the two were continuously matched up. Hopefully another challenger will manage to distinguish himself in short order because as of this moment it's hard to identify a clear cut next matchup for Silva, most likely it will be one of Hector Lombard, Mark Munoz or Chris Weidman.

Agree totally on the match ups. Great wrestling is Silva's kryptonite. The difference this fight was that Silva really did go to his strength on the ground, Chael's weakness. I felt like I was watching an animal fight where a gator and a python were fighting. I have to say both guys are very exciting fighters. It ended fast.

On Silva's next match up, I wonder if he wouldn't consider stepping out of the Octagon now. He's only 37, which isn't that old these days in MMA, but he's got nothing to do but go down IMO.
RealGM

Post#62 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 5, 2012 1:13 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma--bruce ... death.html

More than a quarter century before the UFC, the late martial artist and film star Bruce Lee described in great detail what ultimately would become the sport of mixed martial arts.

The UFC was founded in 1993, partly in an effort to determine which fighting style is best. But as Lee had pointed out years before, it is a mixture of styles, not simply one, that is the most effective fighting form.

The best fighter is not a boxer, karate or judo man," Lee once said. "The best fighter is someone who can adapt to any style. He kicks too good for a boxer, throws too good for a karate man, and punches too good for a judo man."

Nearly 40 years after his untimely death at 32 in 1973, Lee's fighting philosophies are on display in cages around the world. Fighters who were born many years after his death idolize him nonetheless and credit him with shaping them as athletes.

UFC president Dana White calls Lee the father of modern MMA.

I admired Bruce Lee a lot when I was growing up. It is great to see Dana White has a friendship with Lee's daughter. Bruce Lee was a visionary. I didn't fully appreciate what I saw years back in "Enter the Dragon".

"It's pretty amazing when you look back at 'Enter the Dragon,' " said Lee's daughter, Shannon. "There he is in the opening sequence in the shorts and the fingerless gloves, ending it in an arm bar. It's almost as if he knew what was coming. But that all sprung from his belief about what it meant to be a complete fighter. He really believed fully that in order to be a complete fighter, you had to have many different things in your arsenal and be able to defend against and attack in whatever situation may present itself."

Here's a link they posted to the Bruce Lee foundation: http://www.brucelee.com/

Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
"Willing is not enough; we must do

Bruce Lee
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#63 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:52 pm

Jaysus. Conor McGregor is a helluva showman. Even a crappy fight is worth watching just to say what the hell he's going to say in the post fight interview. Slagging Dana White. Throwing a tantrum to bring that damn second belt out. I mean hell he deserved it, holing belts in two different weight classes. Never happened before. But his apology for his shenanigans was classic. Too many people are going to steal that line.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#64 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Last fighter who talked as well as they fought, and made the game worth watching for me that same way was Bas Rutten. Talk wise Conor is at some Muhammed Ali level of spinning shxt-talk to gold.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#65 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Lifetime achievement late entry but I'm submitting Ed Wood's opening to this thread to the HOF thread. In part so I can link to it and find it when I lose it again.

Ed Wood wrote:What is this?

The Wizards have had a less than smooth start to the 09-10 season. Usually I’d be using the opportunity to take advantage of you catastrophizing ninnies and laying down a mean draft thread for some serious Ed Davis discussion, and I’m gonna’, but college hoops is still a little ways away whereas this past Sunday saw arguably the first quality mixed martial arts fight card in the history of broadcast television. So I am instead making an attempt at introducing the oldest newest sport to hit the big time, mixed martial arts.

This thread is here for the purpose of discussing MMA and other combat sports. There is, and I am aware of it thank you, a very small little forum for the purpose of discussing this topic. I post there, I have nothing bad to say about it, but this is the Wizards forum, and I feel that it is only natural that I want to also discuss it here. And from there we’re back to the thread. I’ll try to put up an occasional feature on a particular aspect of combat sports or a particular competitor to satisfy my own perverse needs but it’d be nice to get some general discussion going as well. If I ever manage to convince anyone to follow the sport here be the gameday thread, and if anyone has any questions regarding combat sports I’ll make **** up and you can read it here.

So, combat sports are, as you may have heard, actually incredibly old. While the current MMA kick in the US is about two decades old now, Greeks were punching each other thousands of years ago. I won’t try to comprehensively cover the history of wrasslin’ and chokin’ stuff but some people seem to think that history lends respectability and legitimacy to the sport, so there you are.

The first UFC (stands for Ultimate Fighting Championship) event took place in 1993 in Denver. Vale Tudo events, bareknuckle open rules fights, had taken place in Brazil forever, but the first UFC was one of the first high profile mixed martial arts events in the United States. These early events lacked some of the basic rules (no groin shots) that were created in response to early criticism of the sport and the Gracie family used these early events effectively as advertisements for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, as Royce Gracie repeatedly defeated opponents with no grappling ability whatsoever.

In the sixteen years since Mixed Martial Arts has evolved considerably and grown precipitously. Competitors now train specifically for MMA competition and are expected to be competent in all of the areas of skill that MMA encompasses, including striking, wrestling, and submission grappling. MMA has also begun to break out into the mainstream. UFC events now regularly compete with high profile boxing cards and professional wrestling promotions for the pay-per-view title and the Strikeforce MMA promotion has an ongoing agreement with CBS to televise its premier events. MMA also flourishes in Japan, where Pride, once a strong competitor of the UFC, has given way to DREAM, another successful promotion. Countless smaller promotions both in and out of the US provide opportunities for less well-established competitors.

This is not necessarily a thread solely for MMA discussion, however, it’s open season on all combat sports. Boxing, kickboxing, submission grappling (not) professional wrestling, this here’s a thread for all of it. Personally I know shamefully little about boxing and don’t keep up with the sport very well, so I can’t pretend I’ll be too helpful if it comes up, but I’m game for anything.

A Glossary of Terms

Promotions

UFC- The ultimate fighting championship. The largest American MMA promotion, run by the Zuffa group out of Las Vegas. The UFC has worked very hard to become THE American MMA promotion, to the point where MMA and UFC are synonymous to some in the same way that a Kleenex is a tissue. The UFC is probably the most talent-rich promotion in the world and puts together the highest profile cards as a result. On the other hand UFC promotional material is bad and until recently everybody had to pick between Limp Bizkit and Rage Against the Machine for entrance music (not really) so it’s not all roses as an organization.

WEC- World extreme cagefighting is basically the UFC’s little brother. The WEC focuses on the smaller weight classes (lightweight on down) that the UFC traditionally hasn’t incorporated, though both promotions currently have a lightweight division, with the UFC stocking most of the upper echelon fighters. The WEC does televise its shows for free on versus, however, and the smaller weight classes often provide exciting fights and better conditioned fighters.

Dream- The largest Japanese MMA promotion currently. Dream does stock a considerable amount of talent, particularly at certain weight classes (light weight) but overall is likely a tier below the UFC overall. It compensates with great fight promotion, great fighter introductions, and by occasionally working fights so that popular fighters come out on top.

Pride- The old Japanese promotion, bought out by Zuffa and the UFC in 2005. Pride featured a lot of really talented fighters and the same focus on entertainment that draws some fans to Dream, and a far more frequent and well-substantiated penchant for questionable judging and biased officiating. Pride never die.

Strikeforce- A smaller American promotion that mostly sticks to smaller scale shows and occasionally cooperates with other organizations like M-1 to put together bigger promotions. Strikeforce has had a lot of trouble keeping its champions in the fold and defending their belts with regularity, but is otherwise well run.

K-1- The Japanese kickboxing promotion. Kickboxing is basically boxing with the addition of kicks and the occasional knee. Knees were actually more freely permitted prior to the tooling of Japanese favorite Masato by muay thai veteran Buakaw Por Pramuk through the use of the thai clinch and repeated knee strikes. K-1 fights are frequently entertaining because of the activity level and quality of striking, though K-1 fighters are usually unsuccessful when crossing over into MMA.

ADCC- The Abu Dhabi Combat Club hosts yearly the biggest and most prestigious no-gi submission grappling tournament in the world. Every year most of the biggest names in grappling compete for what has become synonymous with the title of the top grappler in the world, the open competition championship.

Personalities

Dana White- President and face of the UFC, Dana is both a very good businessman and savvy enough to stick to character as the face of American MMA. Dana is known for cursing as much as he possibly can whenever he’s on television and for wanting to know very badly whether anyone and everyone wants to be a fighter. I assume he also has terrible taste in music based on the stuff that the UFC uses promotionally.

Joe Rogan- The voice, I guess, of American MMA. Joe formerly hosted Fear Factor and so is something of a name even outside of his role as the color analyst for UFC shows. Joe is probably the best of a bad bunch of MMA commentators, he generally knows what’s going on, especially on the ground, but is also apt to allow his personal preferences to color his commentary, loves the twister.

Bill Goldberg- The other voice of American MMA, the play-by-play partner of Rogan. Goldberg basically has no idea what’s going on, but he’s not too bad when he’s just having fun talking with Joe and watching fights. Probably a nice guy, but not a good commentator.

Bas Ruten- Was a pretty good striker way back when before you were allowed to use gloves in MMA. Likes to pretend that he taught himself to be a really good grappler. Always gregarious and larger than life, very good in front of the mic when he has the opportunity, also the source of an infinite number of sometimes helpful and always entertaining instructional videos.

Royce Gracie- The old man of the sport and winner of the first UFC tournament. Royce was the first great champion of the sport, remaining undefeated save for an injury-related forfeit for seven years before loosing to another legend of the sport, Kazushi Sakuraba, in 2000. The success of Royce led to the popularization of Jiu Jitsu as one of the fundamental aspects of a mixed martial arts skillset.

Links
Sherdog- A general MMA-related news site that handles coverage for ESPN. Read an article and I'm sure you'll see why. A quick visit of the forums is a similarly instructive experience.
Cagepotato- If you ever find yourself tired of reading Sherdog articles you're probably tired of life, but check cagepotato just to be sure.
Bloodyelbow- OK, Sherdog is bad. I am sorry. Here is a nice history of MMA as apology.
MMA Core- A site that provides all kinds of MMA resources. Explore.
[url=]The single most important thing about MMA.[/url]
RealGM

Post#66 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:24 pm

reading this as a bump thread at 6 a.m. in Hawaii is more fun than morning wood

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#67 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:26 pm

Wow great post. First wizard Dynasty comes back and now Doc Lincoln hell yeah.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#68 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:27 pm

I am developing my own Alter Ego who doesn't give a damn about grammar or punctuation

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#69 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:27 pm

I have not yet read about UFC 207

Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#70 » by AFM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am developing my own Alter Ego who doesn't give a damn about grammar or punctuation

Chocolate Hands Jordinaire
RealGM

Post#71 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:43 am

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#72 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:44 am

CHJDGAF

Bye bye Beal.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#73 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Ive been watching MMA since I was 11 for 20 years and have never seen a guy like Conor McGregor captivate combat sports the way he has
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#74 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:31 pm

MikeTheKid wrote:Ive been watching MMA since I was 11 for 20 years and have never seen a guy like Conor McGregor captivate combat sports the way he has

Yeah though except for the 2nd Nate fight he hasn't given great fights. Great counterpuncher, great vision and timing, hard punch but I have no idea about his grappling game. Where he is world class though is his ability to draw attention, catch the attention of a camera, magnetize a microphone. There have been better fighters, better shxt-talkers, but he combines both with a wizardry of knowing the moment, working his audience, giving exactly what you want in his public persona. Even this fight, I think he just saw a weakness at lightweight and chose his opponent perfectly. Instead of getting stuck in featherweight he gets to duck and slip whichever weight class has serious threats, while collecting accolades and belts. No knocking the guy, not accusing him of cowardice, saying only he sees the game better than others and has played his stake well enough that he can dictate teh rules and not get boxed in, pick his moment. Which is exactly where and how he succeeds inside the ring as well.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#75 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:33 pm

AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#76 » by AFM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:57 pm

GOAT fighter Kimbo Slice RIP bruh

I'd rather fight 6 Ray Lewises for an hour than spend 30 seconds in a back alley with Kimbo
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#77 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:58 pm

doclinkin wrote:Jaysus. Conor McGregor is a helluva showman. Even a crappy fight is worth watching just to say what the hell he's going to say in the post fight interview. Slagging Dana White. Throwing a tantrum to bring that damn second belt out. I mean hell he deserved it, holing belts in two different weight classes. Never happened before. But his apology for his shenanigans was classic. Too many people are going to steal that line.

I am pretty sure holding two belts at the same time wasn't legal before in the UFC but Dana decided to change things to capitalize on Connor's popularity.

I would have liked to see a rematch with Aldo but it looks like that will never happen.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#78 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:28 pm

tontoz wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Jaysus. Conor McGregor is a helluva showman. Even a crappy fight is worth watching just to say what the hell he's going to say in the post fight interview. Slagging Dana White. Throwing a tantrum to bring that damn second belt out. I mean hell he deserved it, holing belts in two different weight classes. Never happened before. But his apology for his shenanigans was classic. Too many people are going to steal that line.

I am pretty sure holding two belts at the same time wasn't legal before in the UFC but Dana decided to change things to capitalize on Connor's popularity.

I would have liked to see a rematch with Aldo but it looks like that will never happen.

I think he'll fight Aldo first before going anywhere near Ferguson or Khabib or a rematch with Max Holloway. His coach John Kavanagh already said he'd prefer a trilogy fight with Nate first so let the ducking continue. I'll never consider him the elite of the elite until he beats Khabib.

Other than Aldo, Nate and a young inexperienced Holloway 3 years ago hes fought nobody worth going crazy for to warrant the push to the top hes gotten. Thank God the Irish support him the way they do.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#79 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Dude looks like he was coked up.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#80 » by doclinkin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Bump because I miss Ed Wood, and also in appreciation of Gordon Ryan taking double gold at the No Gi Jiu Jistsu championships, in his weight class and in the open class. Even with a neck injury that had him scooting around on his butt all tournament. He had one escape where he spun on his head in a vertical position to slip a lock and nearly reverse it. Fun to see clips from this tourney.

Return to Washington Wizards