Where will Romo Go after this year?

Moderator: bwgood77

bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Where will Romo Go after this year? 

Post#1 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:02 am

Some of the most likely places Everyone is talking about that makes sense to me is Denver, Arizona and the Jets. I can't see Romo going to a rebuilding team so it will mostly likely be a team championship ready or very close to it. After thinking about it a bit longer, I can see Romo going to Kansas City but I am not up on Alex Smith's contract. You guys may have some other ideas.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Re: Where will Romo Go after this year? 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:19 am

Arians isn't going to give up on Palmer. He's too stubborn to do that. Plus, you'd basically be exchanging an older QB for another one. Ain't gonna happen.

I think Denver is only possible if Siemian craps the bed going forward & they either don't end up making the playoffs or lose in the wildcard round.

The Jets make the most sense. My money is on them.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 am

My sleeper team is Chicago. No more Cutler next year. Ernie will be crushed.

Jets
Bears
Broncos
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#4 » by El Turco » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:14 am

He won't go to bears, they are not close to contending. Arizona makes the most sense.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:51 am

Arda K wrote:He won't go to bears, they are not close to contending. Arizona makes the most sense.

Palmer ain't going anywhere! His salary is fully guaranteed for next season.

The Cardinals announced one-year contract extensions for Palmer and Fitzgerald on Friday, tying the quarterback to Arizona through the 2018 season...$15.5 million in salary and bonuses fully guaranteed in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17227737/arizona-cardinals-extend-contracts-carson-palmer-larry-fitzgerald
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#6 » by Mich3006 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:51 am

I think the Bears and Jets are the obivous choice but we´ve to wait for the draft to know a little bit more about his possible destinations.

Regarding the Cardinals: Even with a fully guaranteed contract, they have to move on from Palmer. He´s banged up and their lineup is too good to "throw" away their chances for getting a ring because of loyalty. Romo won´t be the answer but I´m sure they´ll go for a QB in the first 3 rounds of the draft.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#7 » by Mich3006 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Arda K wrote:He won't go to bears, they are not close to contending. Arizona makes the most sense.

Palmer ain't going anywhere! His salary is fully guaranteed for next season.

Read on Twitter

The Cardinals could still get off his contract... Are there any top QB´s on the FA-market next offseason?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Ayatollah wrote:I think the Bears and Jets are the obivous choice but we´ve to wait for the draft to know a little bit more about his possible destinations.

Regarding the Cardinals: Even with a fully guaranteed contract, they have to move on from Palmer. He´s banged up and their lineup is too good to "throw" away their chances for getting a ring because of loyalty. Romo won´t be the answer but I´m sure they´ll go for a QB in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

I wouldn't call Romo the answer for the Cardinals but he absolutely would improve the position. He's easily better than Palmer when healthy and would fit into Arians' vertical attack nicely. I just don't think he can get through 16 games anymore.

Which is why I don't dismiss the one possibility no one mentions. He stays here.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:17 pm

If what you are saying comes to pass, then Romo will have to redo his contract and accept back up pay for everyone to move forward. We need to finish our defense in the upcoming draft and we can't do it the way we want, with a 19 million cap hit. Stephen is really good moving money around in the books, but the other question is this, Does Romo stick around for another year or two in Dallas as a back up with back up pay when he only has a few years left?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:34 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Does Romo stick around for another year or two in Dallas as a back up with back up pay when he only has a few years left?

No!
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#11 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:52 pm

All I am saying is this.

Never, ever underestimate Jerry and what he might do.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,182

Post#12 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:02 pm

Everything from his press conference suggests that he's out of Dallas at the end of this season...

Chicago isn't gonna happen because they're years away from contending. Romo probably wouldn't make it through half a season behind that o-line. Arizona seems like the sexiest option, followed by the Jets. Denver is a longshot, I think either Siemen retains his job next season or Paxton Lynch is the next man up.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#13 » by FNQ » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Wherever there is a GM that is desperate to salvage their reputation and is willing to take a dumb risk, Romo will go.

My money is on San Francisco, the Jets, or Miami. I think there are several dark horse teams too: Houston, Denver, Chicago. Cleveland also in the mix if they want to groom their #1 pick for a little while.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:08 pm

FNQ wrote:Wherever there is a GM that is desperate to salvage their reputation and is willing to take a dumb risk, Romo will go.

My money is on San Francisco, the Jets, or Miami. I think there are several dark horse teams too: Houston, Denver, Chicago. Cleveland also in the mix if they want to groom their #1 pick for a little while.

Miami is out with Tannehill. He's still owed a lot money. I would have said Houston, before they handed out that contract to Osweiler. They're out. Cleveland is going to have the 1st pick in the draft. They likely take a QB.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:All I am saying is this.

Never, ever underestimate Jerry and what he might do.

The chances he stays on as the backup & takes a pay cut at the same time, is as likely as the Browns qualifying for the playoffs. Zilch. :lol:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#16 » by FNQ » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
FNQ wrote:Wherever there is a GM that is desperate to salvage their reputation and is willing to take a dumb risk, Romo will go.

Miami is out with Tannehill. He's still owed a lot money. I would have said Houston, before they handed out that contract to Osweiler. They're out. Cleveland is going to have the 1st pick in the draft. They likely take a QB.

Tannehill not really owed that much... if they cut him before 3/13 they will only have 6.9m (or at worst 9.2, because spotrac looks to have forgotten his 4th year) in dead money, which would save them 14m (or 11m). His 'guaranteed' money is mostly for injury. After 2017 season, if he's not cut already, he's practially a lock to get cut at that point.

The Texans can and should restructure Osweiler's contract to reflect that of a low end starter or backup, because after 2017 he only has 6m guaranteed, so they should be able to work around that. Ultimately I think they load the rest of the gtd money into 2017, suck it up, and then cut him penalty free in 2018

Even if CLE takes a QB #1, they may want to add some competition, and depending on Romo's price tag, he might work for them. As good as Watson looks, if he's not ready, CLE should have someone competent out there throwing to their new WR combo of Pryor/Coleman, and since they have a wealth of picks, they shouldnt be counted out.

None are likely, just possible. I especially think Miami is possible with Gase as coordinator and Tannehill looking like a waste of money, no reason to throw him out there when he's clearly not capable of leading an offense
OnceUponADime
Senior
And1: 399

Post#17 » by OnceUponADime » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Houston.

He gets to stay in Texas and play with a Dez Bryant like receiver in DeAndre Hopkins.

Texans get a QB who is a state favorite and will fill up the stadium. And Osweiler blows.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,113

Post#18 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:11 am

OnceUponADime wrote:Houston.

We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#19 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:42 pm

Keep in mind that it's being reported today that Romo will have a say in where he goes. He knows his contract will have to be restructured for a team to be willing to take him. Because of that his first choice is Denver. He'd be willing to restructure his deal in any way to make it work for Denver.

Denver is built to win now. They're defense is great, but aging. They do have Simien and Lynch but the real question is does John Elway think his team has a better chance to go to the Super Bowl in 2017 with Simien or with a vet in Romo? Romo would also be a great help too when it comes to Lynch's development.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#20 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:54 pm

After doing some home work and thinking about it for a couple days, Houston, Miami, Denver and Kansas City makes the most sense to me. I just can't see Romo going to any kind of a rebuilding program like Chicago and Cleveland just to get beat up and take hits with his fragile body. And Otis is right, never, ever under estimate Jerry Jones. You never know what that dip **** will do.

Return to The General NFL Board