The Offical Spurs Fan Intro Thread!

Moderator: G R E Y

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

The Offical Spurs Fan Intro Thread! 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:57 pm

The start of the regular season is getting closer and closer (Oct. 25th!) so me and Sammy thought it be a good idea to start a fan intro/get to know each other/roll call type thread before the season starts to kinda of rally the troops and attempt to make things a little more personable around here.

So if your interested feel free to post a blurb about yourself and why your a Spurs fan! Your intro can be as long or as short as you like! And everyone is welcome old fans, new fans, lurkers and so on!

I'll get it started:

I'm in my late 20's not quite 30 but soon enough lol I'm from Edmonton Alberta and I'm proud to say that I'm one of Alberta's few Spurs fans. I became a Spurs fan sometime shortly after the first championship mainly because of Tim Duncan and I've been a Spurs fan ever since. I was probably one of the rare kids that idolized him growing (everyone was all about AI, VC and Kobe) but the way he played the game just clicked with me and I learned so much about the proper way to play the game from him.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Re: The Offical Spurs Fan Intro Thread! 

Post#2 » by -Sammy- » Sat Oct 1, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks to Nolan for getting this started. We'd really like to see this forum get more active this season, and we're hoping this intro thread will be seen as an opportunity for you lurkers and otherwise-disinclined-to-post folks to jump in and let everyone know you're here.

As for me, I'm 39, and currently live in the hill country outside San Antonio. I was born in Houston but grew up in SA and lived here until I graduated high school, after which I spent some years traveling, living abroad, finding adventure, etc. I eventually found my way back to Texas, went to college and grad school in Dallas, and moved back to SA about six years ago. Humorously, the Spurs won a title the summer I moved to Dallas, and the summer I moved back to SA, the Mavs won.

In terms of my fandom, I discovered basketball when I was 14, and my first real experience as an NBA viewer came during the '93 playoffs-- the Spurs-Suns series, specifically, and ever since then, I've been hooked. I like to call myself a basketball fan first, NBA fan second, and Spurs fan third; I'm die-hard passionate about my team (I'm always proud to tell people that I either watched or listened to every single game of the '97 injury/lottery season; such is the level of my commitment), but even if we didn't have one, I'd be a basketball fan.

One more quick memory: When the team won its first title in '99, I was living in Seattle, and I watched the clinching game in the bar of some Mexican restaurant where my friends and I were having dinner. NBA interest was at an all-time low anyhow, given the lockout season, and since the game had nothing to do with the Sonics, I was lucky the bar had it on at all. I lost it when we won, and everyone in the restaurant was put off by my over-the-top reaction to the victory. Ha ha... those were good times.

Anyhow, let's hear from you guys; you're among friends, so step forward and introduce yourselves!
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#3 » by Phreak50 » Sat Oct 1, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi all :)

38 yrs old and from Australia. Have been following the NBA since I was 14 or 15 and a Spurs fan since almost that entire time.

David Robinson was not only my favourite player, but I loved his attitude and strong character off the court. I guess that sort of breeds into the entire franchise now.

Sadly I still haven't been to an actual game but plan to do so either later this season or sometime next depending on my work schedule. I'll come visit anyone in SA and buy you guys a meal and drink when I do :)

Other than Spurs though, I enjoy watching most teams and thankfully with League Pass that is easy to do.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,179

Post#4 » by imagump1313 » Sun Oct 2, 2016 8:25 pm

Looks like I'm the crafty veteran here. NBA fan since I can remember and Spurs fan since the George Gervin days(because I live in Detroit). I remember crying as a kid when I found out the Spurs lost in the 1979 Eastern Conference Finals to the Bullets (yes, we were in the EAST back then) after being up 3 games to 1. Back on those days there was no internet obviously and only the Finals were televised. The newspapers printed before the scores were final so the only way to get the night before score was to call the newspaper sports hotline. When I found out I balled like a baby.

Yes living in Detroit means I 'm somewhat of a Piston fan also, but my favorite moment was when the Spurs beat Detroit in the Finals in 2005.(I hated that Detroit team). Thank you Robert Horry!

I've loved the Spurs because of how they play the game as it was meant to be played and because the franchise as a whole seems to keep around all around good guys, not just basketball players. (Besides Dennis Rodman) Guys you can root for.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#5 » by Nolan » Mon Oct 3, 2016 2:24 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Hi all :)

38 yrs old and from Australia. Have been following the NBA since I was 14 or 15 and a Spurs fan since almost that entire time.

David Robinson was not only my favourite player, but I loved his attitude and strong character off the court. I guess that sort of breeds into the entire franchise now.

Sadly I still haven't been to an actual game but plan to do so either later this season or sometime next depending on my work schedule. I'll come visit anyone in SA and buy you guys a meal and drink when I do :)

Other than Spurs though, I enjoy watching most teams and thankfully with League Pass that is easy to do.

I don't know what I'd do without League Pass. Life would be difficult without it!
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by -Sammy- » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Come on, fam; I know there are more than four of us here. Let's hear from you crazy people!

Tell ya what: I guarantee* that the next 10 Spurs fans to introduce themselves will each receive a hundred dollars!**

*This is not a guarantee

**Checks will be post-dated to 1January, 2038
Milenkovic
Junior
And1: 586

Post#7 » by Milenkovic » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:15 pm

To formally introduce myself,

26, living in Sydney down under. Been a Spurs fan since proabably Timmy was drafted into the league. A relative of mine actually attended Wake Forrest and all i could remember when i was a kid was him talking about this 'Tim' guy, and well i guess the rest speaks for itself :D

Work as a lawyer for a bank, so basically in my spare time all i do is watch the NBA and EPL, however most of the time im working and watching the NBA during the day.

Like Pop of a Serbian background, but born and raised in Australia
zordrak
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#8 » by zordrak » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:43 am

Greeting my fellow Spurs fans!!!
Spurs fan since like 1998... My uncle told me: if you wanna learn the game first start of SAS... He was die hard Bulls fan. So it went and still with my Spurs...
I'm from Mongolia... The land of blue sky and great mountains. Now working as a Business development manager in energy sector. The time difference makes us guys here to leave jobs earlier. We have a very good fan base down here... Most of them are with Spurs since 2005... We do new year party's, season openers and of cause every PO games watch together.
Been on this forum for a while as a reader... Gonna change that this year...
Glad to read all the inside news on team and situation round the league. Most of the mainstream media just produce what mass needs so it's like talking with fellow friends on something that we understand.
Can't wait for this season...
GO GO SAN ANTONIO SPURS!!!
law_1990
Rookie
And1: 709

Post#9 » by law_1990 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:13 am

26, Fan since about 2004/5, Spurs were the first team i ever saw play, liked the black jerseys and never looked back. Duncan was always my favourite player, even after watching kobe, shaq, pierce etc... Wasn't able to keep up on a daily basis for quite a while due to lack of internet/games being taken off regular TV and being put on cable :(
Managed to get back on it about 2010 and was able to see Timmy get his 5th :D **** love this team, as much as i love my beloved Palace.
RollingWave wrote:it'll be 5 random guys Pop picked up at a ball yard and they'll win the title
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by -Sammy- » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Milenkovic, zordrak, and law_1990, it's good to meet you guys.

Milenkovic, I was in the U.S. Navy some years back, and the battle group I was stationed with made several port calls in Australia; I loved it there. The ships would give tours to local folks when we were in-port, and I met a guy on one of the tours who wanted to know where in the states I'm from. When I told him I grew up in San Antonio, he got excited because he was a Spurs fan. Needless to say, we had a lot to talk about after that.
UDRIH14
General Manager
And1: 662

Post#11 » by UDRIH14 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:28 pm

from australia melb
started following nba during the year the bulls played the blazers in the finals they showed that on tv down here...
then housing commission ripped up the local playground park and put a basketball court on it

friend had a robinson jersey, didnt know who it was till i went into a card shop, saw the same jersey on a skybox deck of cards which was drob, look at a few of drobs cards and saw how ripped he was, was when i started to follow the spurs...
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by -Sammy- » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:35 am

Thanks for the intro, UDRIH14. We got into the NBA at around the same time. Bull vs. Blazers... ha ha. Does anyone remember back when EA Sports only made NBA playoff games every year (Bulls vs. Lakers, Bulls vs. Blazers, Bulls vs. Suns)? Ha ha... Bulls vs. Blazers was my first-ever basketball video game. Good times.
alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Post#13 » by alexb618 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Hi all :)

we are basically the same person, you are a bit older than me (but not much)
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
Porz
Junior
And1: 276

Post#14 » by Porz » Sun Nov 6, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi! I'm a guy from Estonia/EU and old enough to see MJ vs Malone at TV. Jesus the games starting here are at 2-3am. In last decade i did not watch it all, US appearances in olympics left me somewhat of a meh and felt that it was not worth my time. Now in 2012 Olympics i saw that talented and charismatic guys are rising again, who might be interesting to watch and found a great source for watching HD games at replay. Ofc i always be on the side of Europe guys and Spurs are quite fascinating culture overall.

In 2012 i also immediately became Curry fan too, as his shots were amazing even back then. Did not like the Heat, as all this bling bling white colour elite thing is not in my nature. So was losing some tears and joys with 2013/2014 finals.

Today i'm also a Spurs fan as they acquaired my neighbour countrys Latvian Bertans and Kincks Porzingis will always be my top guys, where ever they go. I'm a fan of the basketball, generally so i watch everything if i think it will be quality and interesting game. Don't care for teams that play mostly iso-s.
Luka Doncic life matters too. No to racism!
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#15 » by popfan » Mon Nov 7, 2016 6:15 am

Hello from California. I'm in my late forties and have followed the Spurs since I was eight. I attended college in Austin and live & work in San Francisco.

Family recruited me into the Spurs fandom. I attended games at Hemisphere arena with relatives at an early age. George Gervin was a favorite of mine. I recall the season (1980-81) that George Johnson led the league in blocked shots. Later, my favs would be Johnny Moore, Sean Elliot and David Robinson. Because I was in attendance, Elliot's game winning shot against the Trailblazers in the 1999 playoffs still stands out.

Everything changed with Greg Popovich. The Spurs began drafting better players. Pop drafted high-character guys like Duncan and Ginobili who fit well with The Admiral. Punks like William Bedford (who played for the Spurs in 1992-3) became a thing of the past. I still recall NBC broadcaster Bob Costas telling a story set in NYC during the 1999 Finals. Apparently, David Robinson received a standing ovation from NYC citizens while dining at a local restaurant. In awe, Costas noted that notoriously unfriendly New Yorkers aren't prone to honoring an opponent's star player. That's when I knew we had something special, we had an identity for which I could be proud.

It's been fantastic since. The 2014 Finals were the pinnacle of this identity. Ginobili's rising, swelling, fast-break dunk over Ray Allen in G5 still sends shivers down my spine. BAM! I can still see a smiling Duncan rubbing Ginobili's balding head in disbelief on the way down the court. What panache! What audacity. Ginobili's dunk emphatically claimed a championship through one of the best demonstrations of team basketball in the Finals. It was inspiring to watch the Spurs achieve greatness. We've come a long way since drafting Dwayne Schintzius in 1990!

I've been playing basketball since I was nine. As I matured, I most enjoyed playing defense and shooting from beyond the arc. I was fortunate to play with high-character guys. Basketball has been my friend throughout my life.

My favorite Spurs player is Manu Ginobili. He's a basketball savant and an exceptional competitor. He carries himself with great dignity. Duncan is a close second for similar reasons. And while I consider MJ to be the greatest player of all time, I consider the greatest winner in the history of the NBA to be Dennis Rodman. Dennis was a special and rare player.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by -Sammy- » Wed Nov 9, 2016 10:03 am

Great to meet y'all virtually, popfan and Porz. I love hearing stories from fans afar and from those who followed the Spurs in their pre-Admiral days.

Porz, I'm glad you're with the good guys, but I share your enthusiasm for Porzingis; I think he has paradigm-shifting potential as a player.

popfan, did you go to UT? I spent some time in 'Frisco' years ago and greatly enjoyed it there.
inDe_eD
Bench Warmer
And1: 869

Post#17 » by inDe_eD » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:20 am

Hi, I'm one of the aforementioned lurkers on this board (for about 8 or so years now on Realgm). I'm 29, and grew up in southern California (although I've since moved to Nashville, TN).

I became a Spurs fan at about 13 when my dad got two tickets to a Spurs-Clippers game. I don't remember the exact year, but I do remember that Lamar Odom was injured and wearing an all-white suit on the bench. Timmy scored like 40 that night and DRob had a pretty good game too. We were sitting by the visitors tunnel, and as the Spurs were leaving, Robinson stopped and talked to people along the way. He ended up shaking my hand, looking me right in the eyes, and asking me if I had fun at the game. I can't adequately describe how cool that was or how big of an impression it left on me, but I'll just say I've been a pretty hardcore fan ever since. I try to go to both Spurs road games every year in Memphis and Atlanta, which is always awesome. I got to hang out with Danny Green, Patty Mills, and Matt Bonner after game 4, the year we swept the Grizzlies in the WCF.

Luckily my wife became a basketball fan after we started dating. Our 18 month-old son loves when basketball comes on, and especially the Spurs. He already knows who Kawhi is and starts geekin whenever the camera zooms in on him.
“Let's say TPE is a big hole, Ryan Anderson is a "power plug Dick" ($21 million a year). All you have to do is use the Dick to plug in. Great trade and great deal! This is called "perfect fit" in the nba.”
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#18 » by goodboy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:30 am

Lovely reading all these, might chime in soon.
Bright
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by -Sammy- » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:22 am

It's great to hear from you, inDe_eD; thanks for laying that out. As a professional Laker-hater, I always especially enjoy meeting someone from SoCal who isn't a Laker fan; the fact that you chose the Spurs wins you double-points in my book.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by -Sammy- » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:24 am

goodboy wrote:Lovely reading all these, might chime in soon.

This guy right here!

Whaddup, pal?! Great to see you; please do chime in soon. I thought you left RealGM for good-- I went to look you up one day and couldn't find you in my friends list; I didn't realize you changed your name. I'm really glad you're still kicking around these parts!

Return to San Antonio Spurs