ImageImage

MVP race

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,274

MVP race 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:16 am

So who are the front runners in the MVP race?

Elliott? He's having a big year, don't normally rbs have to do something crazy like get almost 2000 yards to grab MVP votes. Also does a good Oline hurt his cause? Could any good top 5 RB do what he's doing behind that line?

Brady? His stats are low because he missed 4 games. If he finishes with tds in the low to mid 20s it's impressive but difficult to stack up to Ryan or Rodgers who could have tds in the mid to upper 30s. Also his team went 3 - 1 WITHOUT him shouldnt that hurt his MVP rating?

Matt Ryan? He's put up some big number, maybe he needs a big finish and a playoff birth.

Rodgers? I think he could be added to the conversation. He leads the league in tds with 32,plus he has 3 rushing tds. He's had no running game and no defense but still performing. He has the #1 and #4 wrs with TDs with jordy and davante. He will need a big finish and a division championship to be in the running.

Dak? His numbers are similar to Brady, impressive what he's doing but they don't hold up to Brees, Ryan, Rodgers stats. Not even sure he's the most valuable player on his own team, let alone the league.

Stats do play a big role and Dak and Brady are missing gaudy stats.

Too bad jj watt isn't having a career year, this would be a season a defensive player going insane could have had a shot.

Also no wr is having an insane year.

It's interesting I don't see a clear favorite. Elliot has some receiving yards too so maybe that combination gives it to him, if he can keep producing.

EDIT: Derek Carr? I've seen his name thrown around. He had a stinker vs the chiefs, but he's lead quite the turnaround in Oakland...
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Re: MVP race 

Post#2 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:14 am

Brady is kind of a wild card. I don't know if anyone has ever won an MVP after serving a significant suspension. We'll see how he does without Gronk against BAL and DEN.

Stafford has a shot, but now his hand is falling apart.

It's too close to call right now and the last 3 games will decide it. If we make the playoffs, Rodgers will have a strong case because of the patchwork running backs he's had almost all year.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,373

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:01 pm

The press has a perpetual Brady boner. He'll definitely be the favorite.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#4 » by HKPackFan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:29 am

MickeyDavis wrote:The press has a perpetual Brady boner. He'll definitely be the favorite.

If the team was crushing without Brady doesn't that go against him? Like at all?
#FreeChuckDiesel
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#5 » by KidA24 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:09 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:The press has a perpetual Brady boner. He'll definitely be the favorite.

If the team was crushing without Brady doesn't that go against him? Like at all?

No. It hasn't his whole career.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#6 » by emunney » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 pm

I would expect it'd be Elliott if the vote was today. The QBs are just not separating from each other. It would be Brady if he'd played a full season, but missing 4 games *is* going to cost him votes.

If the Packers win out in impressive fashion, I think Rodgers has as good a shot as anyone. Recency can be big in these votes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:29 pm

The Dallas offensive line.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,949

Post#8 » by BUCKnation » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The Dallas offensive line.

Yup
James1980
Veteran
And1: 381

Post#9 » by James1980 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:48 pm

I think it should be Dak, best record in the league, 20 tds, 4 ints.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#10 » by HKPackFan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:46 am

What's annoying is in the MVP stats comparison, they never list Rodger's rushing TDs. That's a huge part of his game as a QB, and it's very arbitrary to not use it in comparison, just because he's not a cam newton or other QB famous for rushing. Rodgers has 4TDs on the ground which puts him at 40 TOTAL, that really enhances his profile, but it's ignored whenever people compare his stats. It irks me a little.

Sounds like Brady is the favorite, he's got the better story. The revenge against the shield, 39 years old, no Gronk, and never loses. Looks like Brady is taking it. The article points out Dak and Elliot votes might cancel each other out, Ryan is just ignored.

Rodgers would have to have a signature MVP game with a couple of beautiful highlight plays and some gawdy stats like 4 TDs 300 yards zero picks and an impressive victory to make his final case. It's funny the MVP race comes down to the last game of the season. He's still a darkhorse but a huge game might put him in, especially since the game has some meaning. Division title game, 6 game winning streak, big performance on SNF. It could be enough.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/12/27/is-tom-brady-really-the-nfl-mvp-in-2016/
#FreeChuckDiesel
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#11 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:12 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:The Dallas offensive line.

Yup

That would be cool.
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#12 » by HKPackFan » Sun Jan 8, 2017 4:42 am

Furthering my point about rushing, Rodgers is the 2nd leading rusher in the team with 369yards and 4 tds, and I think 23 or something rushing first downs.

It's a crime to not factor that into the MVP profile. I've read half a dozen MVP articles last week and they brushed it off, 'we need to compare their passing numbers'

Huh?

If cam newton throws 40td, runs for 4, and is the 2nd leading rusher on the team he wins it and it's unanimous.

I've seen articles comparing Ryan vs Rodgers by removing the rushing factor and say..look Ryan put up the same numbers as Rodgers! Wtf. How about saying, Rodgers put up the same numbers as Ryan AND was the 2nd leading rusher on the team!
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers