Dennis Smith Jr

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Dennis Smith Jr 

Post#1 » by bigboi » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Tired of seeing these other players having threads, Fultz, Fox rofl, etc. This is a watch thread for the best PG prospect since CP3 and the future #1 pick (top 3 at least).

By the end of the season, this thread will be legendary. 8-)
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Re: Dennis Smith Jr 

Post#2 » by CptCrunch » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:01 pm

bigboi wrote:Tired of seeing these other players having threads, Fultz, Fox rofl, etc. This is a watch thread for the best PG prospect since CP3 and the future #1 pick (top 3 at least).

Will update with videos later

+1

This guy is the best NBA style PG prospect in years.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#3 » by eagereyez » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Short arms bad defender poor 3 pt. shooter. He received a ton of hype from his high school mix-tape, but has so far failed to live up to it.
Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#4 » by Vesper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Watch him play only once this season and he was pretty average.

However, I can definitely see his potential, but his product right now is anything but special.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#5 » by peachbucket » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:38 pm

eagereyez wrote:Short arms bad defender poor 3 pt. shooter. He received a ton of hype from his high school mix-tape, but has so far failed to live up to it.

Bingo! There is a reason nobody created a thread for him till now...he's not all that.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:00 pm

Highest potential from the PGs in my opinion. He's always been a streaky shooter, he has good form though so I think in a few years he can be around a 36-37% shooter from deep. He's the best PnR PG in this draft by far and that is the most used play in the NBA. He's going to be a much better NBA player than college. He's a better defender and play maker than Fultz. Fultz is the better scorer though.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#7 » by reanimator » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 pm

Not seeing an exceptional ceiling as a defender or passer when compared to Ball or Fultz and he was inefficient as a scorer on the circuits and now at ncst but he is in the top percentile of explosive guards and has good size so plenty to work with. Maybe 3rd or 4th pg for me at the moment.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by eagereyez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 am

Duke4life831 wrote:He's a better defender and play maker than Fultz.

No he's not. Fultz averages more assists per/40 and is a decent defender, whereas Smith is a negative defender. Fultz averages more steals, blocks, and has a higher DBPM than Smith. Smith is a t-rex with a 6'3" wingspan, Fultz has a 6'10" wingspan.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#9 » by CptCrunch » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 am

eagereyez wrote:

No he's not. Fultz averages more assists per/40 and is a decent defender, whereas Smith is a negative defender. Fultz averages more steals, blocks, and has a higher DBPM than Smith. Smith is a t-rex with a 6'3" wingspan, Fultz has a 6'10" wingspan.

I don't care about DSJ's lack of measurements. His game is pro style. His mentality is first option. This kid can finish like a demon.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#10 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 am

eagereyez wrote:

Dennis Smith hasnt played in over a year. You have to take into consideration rust. CP3 has "t-rex" arms and hes a good defender. Also you have to take all the stats these guys have put up with a grain of salt. Its not like Fultz has been going against NBA competition. I think DSJ's game is more built for the NBA and again hasnt played in over a year.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:49 am

Just watched some videos...got damn he's explosive. I see him as great fit in Philly with Simmons, Embiid and the rest of the crew.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by eagereyez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:50 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:

Dennis Smith hasnt played in over a year. You have to take into consideration rust. CP3 has "t-rex" arms and hes a good defender. Also you have to take all the stats these guys have put up with a grain of salt. Its not like Fultz has been going against NBA competition. I think DSJ's game is more built for the NBA and again hasnt played in over a year.

So rust makes Smith a better passer and defender than Fultz? Not sure what exactly you're trying to argue here. All evidence points to Fultz being better in those areas as of right now. Smith could ball out the rest of the year and surpass Fultz in those areas, but I doubt it. CP3 was an excellent defender in college, Smith is a negative defender in college. And finding the one exception to the rule means absolutely nothing. Players generally retain the same strengths and weaknesses from college to the pros. Marcus Smart isn't going to become a 40% 3 pt. shooter because Jason Kidd was able to do it.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:58 am

eagereyez wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:No he's not. Fultz averages more assists per/40 and is a decent defender, whereas Smith is a negative defender. Fultz averages more steals, blocks, and has a higher DBPM than Smith. Smith is a t-rex with a 6'3" wingspan, Fultz has a 6'10" wingspan.

So rust makes Smith a better passer and defender than Fultz? Not sure what exactly you're trying to argue here. All evidence points to Fultz being better in those areas as of right now. Smith could ball out the rest of the year and surpass Fultz in those areas, but I doubt it. CP3 was an excellent defender in college, Smith is a negative defender in college. And finding the one exception to the rule means absolutely nothing. Players generally retain the same strengths and weaknesses from college to the pros. Marcus Smart isn't going to become a 40% 3 pt. shooter because Jason Kidd was able to do it.

No what im saying is DSJ was a better defender and a better facilitator than Fultz all throughout high school. Im giving DSJ sometime to regain the form he had prior to his injury. I think both are great prospects, I think Fultz is the better scorer and has the body where he could guard and play both guard positions. That versatility is going to be huge in the NBA. Just the way the NBA is played with how much PnR is run, I think DSJ is going to show to be the better NBA PG.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by eagereyez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:13 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

No what im saying is DSJ was a better defender and a better facilitator than Fultz all throughout high school. Im giving DSJ sometime to regain the form he had prior to his injury. I think both are great prospects, I think Fultz is the better scorer and has the body where he could guard and play both guard positions. That versatility is going to be huge in the NBA. Just the way the NBA is played with how much PnR is run, I think DSJ is going to show to be the better NBA PG.

A lot of things change between high school and college. KAT wasn't the consensus #1 pick going into the 2014 college season. Smith tore his ACL before his senior year of high school, he has had plenty of time to shake the rust off. It's more likely that he is what he is at this point, 1/3 of the way through the college season. He's a t-rex and a bad defender. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:40 am

eagereyez wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:So rust makes Smith a better passer and defender than Fultz? Not sure what exactly you're trying to argue here. All evidence points to Fultz being better in those areas as of right now. Smith could ball out the rest of the year and surpass Fultz in those areas, but I doubt it. CP3 was an excellent defender in college, Smith is a negative defender in college. And finding the one exception to the rule means absolutely nothing. Players generally retain the same strengths and weaknesses from college to the pros. Marcus Smart isn't going to become a 40% 3 pt. shooter because Jason Kidd was able to do it.

A lot of things change between high school and college. KAT wasn't the consensus #1 pick going into the 2014 college season. Smith tore his ACL before his senior year of high school, he has had plenty of time to shake the rust off. It's more likely that he is what he is at this point, 1/3 of the way through the college season. He's a t-rex and a bad defender. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Im just saying I think its way to early to say how great of a shooter or Fultz is especially considering that he has only played against one legit team. Its one thing to be able to defend against a team like Texas Christian or Yale. You gotta take advanced stats in out of conference play with a giant grain of salt. For instance Luke Kennard who is a really bad defender, he has an 89 defensive rating and a 3.6 DBPM. Duke has played 4 ranked teams this season as well. But no one who actually watches the game is going to say Luke Kennard is a better defender than say Frank Jackson who has worse defensive advanced stats.

DSJ was one of the better defenders in the class in high level games, Fultz was always considered an average to solid defender. So 9 games in, mostly against teams like Texas Christian, Yale, Cal Fulerton and Northern Arizona. His one game against a legit opponent in Gonzaga he did not look good on the defensive end. Every time he was put on Goss he got torched. The whole Gonzaga perimeter players lit up that Washington team. So Im going to wait to see Fultz play good defense against legit opponents until I put him over DSJ as a defender.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by eagereyez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:23 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Im just saying I think its way to early to say how great of a shooter or Fultz is especially considering that he has only played against one legit team. Its one thing to be able to defend against a team like Texas Christian or Yale. You gotta take advanced stats in out of conference play with a giant grain of salt. For instance Luke Kennard who is a really bad defender, he has an 89 defensive rating and a 3.6 DBPM. Duke has played 4 ranked teams this season as well. But no one who actually watches the game is going to say Luke Kennard is a better defender than say Frank Jackson who has worse defensive advanced stats.

DSJ was one of the better defenders in the class in high level games, Fultz was always considered an average to solid defender. So 9 games in, mostly against teams like Texas Christian, Yale, Cal Fulerton and Northern Arizona. His one game against a legit opponent in Gonzaga he did not look good on the defensive end. Every time he was put on Goss he got torched. The whole Gonzaga perimeter players lit up that Washington team. So Im going to wait to see Fultz play good defense against legit opponents until I put him over DSJ as a defender.

DBPM by itself isn't something I would rely on. Kennard is a sophomore SG and Jackson is a freshman PG. Knowing just that I'd expect Kennard to have a higher DBPM. It doesn't tell us if Jackson is a better defender for his position and age. I included blocks and steal rate for a reason. Fultz beats Smith in most meaningful defensive categories, although it's not totally conclusive.

You seem to be assessing these players based on media narratives that were written before they played a single college game. This is why guys like Jahlil Okafor are taken top 3. What we know is that through 1/3 of the college season, Fultz has been a better passer and defender than Smith. And it's not like Smith hasn't had his fair share of games against mediocre opponents. We'll see how inter-conference play affects their numbers.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:23 am

I think he'll definitely be one of those 'better in the NBA guys'. He's got a lot to offer. That said, I don't think you can even entertain the idea that he's on Ball/Fultz level. The clear 3rd PG though, imo.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#18 » by reanimator » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:32 am

I've never seen DSJr billed as an excellent defender...more so a good on-ball defender "when engaged" but prone to lapses. Fultz, Ball and Ntilikina clearly have more tools and versatility on that side of the court.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#19 » by jonjames » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:46 pm

clyde21 wrote:Just watched some videos...got damn he's explosive. I see him as great fit in Philly with Simmons, Embiid and the rest of the crew.

If he goes to philly they will be winning a title in the not so distant future.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#20 » by bigboi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:20 pm

eagereyez wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
eagereyez wrote:So rust makes Smith a better passer and defender than Fultz? Not sure what exactly you're trying to argue here. All evidence points to Fultz being better in those areas as of right now. Smith could ball out the rest of the year and surpass Fultz in those areas, but I doubt it. CP3 was an excellent defender in college, Smith is a negative defender in college. And finding the one exception to the rule means absolutely nothing. Players generally retain the same strengths and weaknesses from college to the pros. Marcus Smart isn't going to become a 40% 3 pt. shooter because Jason Kidd was able to do it.

What are you talking about? It always takes a season or two to shake off rust from an ACL injury. You're just plain hating right now
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.

Return to NBA Draft