Prescott/Romo discussion.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: Prescott/Romo discussion. 

Post#21 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:More good reading... and this is from the guy who could sell ice water to eskimos.

Jerry Jones predicts Tony Romo will play part in Cowboys' Super Bowl run and return for 2017 season

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jerry-jones-tony-romo-play-part-cowboys-super-bowl-run-article-1.2903930

Jerry Jones, owner of the red-hot Cowboys, unexpectedly hit it big with rookie Dak Prescott in the fourth round but still has an expected soft spot for deposed long-time starter Tony Romo.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily News in his midtown Manhattan hotel room Thursday afternoon, Jones made two predictions:

-- There's going to be a situation where Romo steps in and helps Dallas in its quest to get to Super Bowl LI in Houston.
-- Even if Romo is the backup going into the offseason, Jones believes he will be able to talk him out of demanding a trade or his release so he can join a team where he could start.

If Romo gets into a meaningful regular season or playoff game in the next two months, it's either because Prescott is injured or he is playing so poorly that Romo comes in to try and keep the season alive.

"I think Romo is going to get his opportunity," Jones said. "I don't want it to happen. But I think he may get his opportunity to get us a Super Bowl. While that's a mixed bag when I think about it — that means you don't have Dak out there — but it means, what a story, one for the ages, if he'd step in there and this year help us win a Super Bowl on the field with his skill. That can happen here. We're not talking about a bus driver out there. We're talking about a guy who can go out there and move our team."

The Cowboys are 11-1 without Romo. Last year, they were 1-11 without him. Prescott has won 11 consecutive games, more than Hall of Famers Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, more than Romo, more than any quarterback in Cowboys history.

Dallas can clinch the NFC East on Sunday night at MetLife Stadium with a victory over the Giants, and naturally Jones is in football heaven: Prescott is playing great and Romo, once he was back in uniform on Nov. 20 after suffering a compression fracture in his back this summer, has accepted his backup role and this week has been playing Eli Manning on the scout team.

Jones is not sticking pins in a Prescott voodoo doll. He's all-in on the rookie. But there is precedent for exactly what Jones was talking about Thursday.

Tom Brady took over after Drew Bledsoe suffered a sheared blood vessel in his chest late in the second game of the 2001 season against the Jets. He didn't play again until Brady injured his ankle in the first half of the AFC Championship Game. Bledsoe was a big reason New England won that game. Brady returned for the Super Bowl and led a game-winning drive to beat the Rams.

In the Dolphins’ perfect season in 1972, Bob Griese broke his leg and dislocated his ankle in the fifth game and Earl Morrall took over. Don Shula switched back to Griese during the AFC Championship Game and he finished off the unbeaten season by defeating Washington in the Super Bowl.

Romo is 36 years old and due to make $14 million in 2017 with a salary cap number of $24.7 million. If the Cowboys cut him, they will have $19.6 million in dead money on their cap. Prescott signed a four-year, $2.7 million deal. He is making $450,000 this season and $540,000 in 2017. The collective bargaining agreement prevents the Cowboys from giving Prescott a new contract next year, which presents the chance for Jones to fit both quarterbacks into the salary cap.

"Because of where we are, we can afford it," Jones said.

No team can afford two big-money quarterbacks. But with Prescott not yet able to cash in, Jones said he thinks it could make more sense to allocate the resources to Romo, even if he's the backup, than to a pass rusher in free agency.

"Unorthodox?" Jones said. "Absolutely."

Jones said, "my intention" is for Romo to be back in Dallas next year.

Will Romo accept going into camp as the backup?

"I think Tony is going to compete. He will never accept it," Jones said. "But do I think it is possible that he could be in Dallas and it's good for him and good for us and be the smart thing to do? How many times have we ever seen one drawn up where you see that kind of depth at the quarterback position? How many times do you have to be reminded if we had the concussion protocol the way we had it today, Troy Aikman wouldn't have played in the second Super Bowl."

Aikman suffered a concussion in the 1993 NFC title game against the 49ers and with no week off before the Super Bowl, he played in the game but it's a blur to him. Now the concussion protocol can keep players sidelined for several weeks. If it happens to Prescott next season, Jones wants Romo to be his QB.

He believes he can talk Romo into staying rather than pursuing an opportunity to finish his career elsewhere as a starter.

"I do," he said. "I think if I ask Tony to go with us on that and let's try to win a championship, I think, yes, he will."

Romo, unlike Bledsoe 15 years ago, is not complaining. "Tony is investing in his teammates," Jones said. "Everybody understands while he's excited to be part of the team and he's excited for the team, that he's dying inside not to be out there competing. I underline the words dying inside. There are plenty of examples where high profile quarterbacks didn't go down gracefully and step off the field gracefully. Lots of example of it. It's just hard for that kind for competitor to do that."

But when Romo made his concession speech last month, "he absolutely stepped up and was genuine and honest," Jones said. "He let the air out of the controversy in front of the country when he stood up there and said, "I'm the backup quarterback."

If Jones is right in his predictions, Romo will get an opportunity to help the ‘Boys get to the Super Bowl for the first time in two decades and then be back in Dallas next season.

I heard that interview on the Ticket podcast. Actually heard the Troy one too. Troy needs to write a book. He has a ton of interesting things to say about those Cowboys teams and Jerry.

I always enjoy those Thursday morning Troy Aikman segments. People who "hate" him should listen to those. They would change their minds about Troy in a hurry. He's thoughtful, opinionated and doesn't pull any punches at all. He's also got a hell of a sense of humor. That's important for anyone having to put up with Gordo's insanity.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,282

Post#22 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:59 pm

Jerry trying to set the stage for the last 2 homes games. Number 1, until the division and home field is all clinched, I don't want anything of Romo being played or even mentioning of him playing at all, outside of injury. Number 2, Prescott is still a rookie. He NEEDS ALL THE REPS he can get. Still so much to learn. And if we are fortunate to get a first round bye, I' don't think we should be sitting out any games at all. 2 or more weeks I can't see being for a rookie. Perhaps when we get back home for our last 2 homes games and can get a nice lead, I can see perhaps Romo coming in to get some work in a mop up role only. Jerry just wants some drama for ratings, etc., and most importantly, $$$$$$. Keep doing what we are doing, its about team not Romo. He is definitely out of here next year. Sorry Otis, I don't think he is coming back.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#23 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:01 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Jerry trying to set the stage for the last 2 homes games. Number 1, until the division and home field is all clinched, I don't want anything of Romo being played or even mentioning of him playing at all, outside of injury. Number 2, Prescott is still a rookie. He NEEDS ALL THE REPS he can get. Still so much to learn. And if we are fortunate to get a first round bye, I' don't think we should be sitting out any games at all. 2 or more weeks I can't see being for a rookie. Perhaps when we get back home for our last 2 homes games and can get a nice lead, I can see perhaps Romo coming in to get some work in a mop up role only. Jerry just wants some drama for ratings, etc., and most importantly, $$$$$$. Keep doing what we are doing, its about team not Romo. He is definitely out of here next year. Sorry Otis, I don't think he is coming back.

I agree that I would want all the starters to play any/all games after they clinch a first round bye and home field. At least the 1st half of all remaining games. The last thing you want to do is rest him for 3 weeks and let him get out of rhythm. If he were a 30 year of vet you might consider it but he's 23 and needs all these snaps.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#24 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:47 pm

This Romo/Prescott talk for the 2nd straight is really starting to royally piss me off. I an having second thoughts now that we once again won't get by the divisional round. And If we lose at home to Tampa Bay, I think we will lose the division as well.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:00 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:This Romo/Prescott talk for the 2nd straight is really starting to royally piss me off. I an having second thoughts now that we once again won't get by the divisional round. And If we lose at home to Tampa Bay, I think we will lose the division as well.

Ain't losing to the Bucs.

Or the Lions.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#26 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:37 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:This Romo/Prescott talk for the 2nd straight is really starting to royally piss me off. I an having second thoughts now that we once again won't get by the divisional round. And If we lose at home to Tampa Bay, I think we will lose the division as well.

Or the Lions.

Your not the least bit worried now that Jerry has come out of his cage and is running his mouth? I'm worried we lose 2 of the next 3. Hopefully, Prescott can come back and prove everyone wrong again despite Jerry's needless and cancerous bull, when we haven't won a damn thing yet.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:17 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Or the Lions.

Your not the least bit worried now that Jerry has come out of his cage and is running his mouth? I'm worried we lost 2 of the next 3. Hopefully Prescott can come back and prove everyone wrong again despite Jerry's needless and cancerous bull, when we haven't won a damn thing yet.

No.

I'm not.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,018

Post#28 » by Mr B » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:07 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Or the Lions.

Your not the least bit worried now that Jerry has come out of his cage and is running his mouth? I'm worried we lost 2 of the next 3. Hopefully Prescott can come back and prove everyone wrong again despite Jerry's needless and cancerous bull, when we haven't won a damn thing yet.

I would be more worried if it were Stephen and Jason talking about Romo, not Jerry. Dak would have to completely come off the rails or get injured for Tony to get on the field.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#29 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:45 pm

I hope you guys are right because I don't have a good feeling about this at all.

Return to Dallas Cowboys