Malik Monk

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Malik Monk 

Post#1 » by Unbreakable99 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 am

I'm starting the Monk thread just on the fact he scored 47 points on UNC. That alone should be reason to get your own thread.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Re: Malik Monk 

Post#2 » by dorkestra » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29 am

I was hoping we could nab him with the Lakers pick around 8 or 9. Looking less likely.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:40 am

He is still much more like JR Smith than Russell Westbrook, he is rythm shooter but his athleticism is so lost in the suffle, cant really drive, floater game looks promising and his defense on his man is alright, but other than that is LaVine-esque, still, an off guard that can shoot like him and has some untapped potential athletically is interesting, but unless he turns into Avery Bradley as a defender, I am not sure I am buying stock on him, he looks more like a situational guy than a true stud or a first offensive option.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#4 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:48 am

dorkestra wrote:I was hoping we could nab him with the Lakers pick around 8 or 9. Looking less likely.

drafting him that high will turn out a mistake honestly.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#5 » by dorkestra » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:02 am

I just feel like he would be the perfect complement to Simmons and Embiid.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#6 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:03 am

If he can play PG and shoot like this, no reason he can't be a Lillard or Westbrook type.

Ideally he might be a 2nd ball handler with a Simmons or Giannis that allows him to play off ball but against PG size opponents.

At SG he's giving up size every night, and I'm not sure anyone has ever become great that way.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#7 » by peachbucket » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:20 am

Gilbert Arenas 2.0?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#8 » by Marcus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:23 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:If he can play PG and shoot like this, no reason he can't be a Lillard or Westbrook type.

Ideally he might be a 2nd ball handler with a Simmons or Giannis that allows him to play off ball but against PG size opponents.

At SG he's giving up size every night, and I'm not sure anyone has ever become great that way.

Personally wouldn't trust him as my PG don't think he has it between the ears for the position. Think he's a SG through and through and definitely a kid that can shoot you in or out of a game.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:22 am

When this dude gets hot he's unconscious. He was so fun to watch today. I just don't see him being a #1 go to guy like I can see 4-5 other guys in this draft with they potential. His limited size for the 2 and average ball handling are concerns. But he's a freak athlete and can really get hot from 3. Really really fun player to watch when he's on.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#10 » by Chi town » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Fischella wrote:He is still much more like JR Smith than Russell Westbrook, he is rythm shooter but his athleticism is so lost in the suffle, cant really drive, floater game looks promising and his defense on his man is alright, but other than that is LaVine-esque, still, an off guard that can shoot like him and has some untapped potential athletically is interesting, but unless he turns into Avery Bradley as a defender, I am not sure I am buying stock on him, he looks more like a situational guy than a true stud or a first offensive option.

JR Smith is my comp too. I don't hunk he will be better than JR and more than just a 3pt shooter though.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#11 » by jonjames » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:27 am

I really like Monk but Im not sure how well he pans out at next level. I don't see the requisite pg skils for him to be a full time pg, then again Westbrook had alot of question marks going into draft regarding his ability to play the point. I see him as a combo guard. Playing mostly at the 2 and switching off handling the 1 at times. At 6'3 he's an undersized sg cut in the same mold as lou williams monta ellis ben gordon who are all respectable players. I like his potential tho..CJ McCollum has carved a pretty good career so far and he's nowhere near the athlete Monk is.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#12 » by freewhitemoon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:00 am

seems like a nice player to put next to ball handling wings and forwards e.g. Harden, Giannis, Simmons, Lebron types
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#13 » by Cammo101 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:28 am

dorkestra wrote:I just feel like he would be the perfect compliment to Simmons and Embiid.

He would be. He's a big time scorer who wouldn't need to dominate the ball. If Philly were able to land a PG in the top 3 and then Monk with the LAL pick, they should be ecstatic.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#14 » by brackdan70 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:16 am

Chi town wrote:
Fischella wrote:He is still much more like JR Smith than Russell Westbrook, he is rythm shooter but his athleticism is so lost in the suffle, cant really drive, floater game looks promising and his defense on his man is alright, but other than that is LaVine-esque, still, an off guard that can shoot like him and has some untapped potential athletically is interesting, but unless he turns into Avery Bradley as a defender, I am not sure I am buying stock on him, he looks more like a situational guy than a true stud or a first offensive option.

JR Smith is my comp too. I don't hunk he will be better than JR and more than just a 3pt shooter though.

Smith is so much longer. I don't see Monk as a guy that can guard 2s or 3s in the NBA.

gotta like the night he had tonight though.
Sign here
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#15 » by bigboi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:21 am

I've been saying Monk is the best fit for Philly smh. Everyone else makes zero sense as they wont have a chance to maximize their potential other than maybe Josh Jackson
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#16 » by bigboi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:23 am

There's zero reason why he can't be a Klay Thompson type player on offense at least
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,380

Post#17 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:12 am

So if he isn't long enough to compare to JR and not atletic enough to be a Lillard type of player how about Eric Gordon after his injuries as a comparison? They are around the same height and Eric is taking a ton of threes this season, which is something Monk also does.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#18 » by eagereyez » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:02 am

I see his NBA comparison as Jamal Murray (yes I know that's a cop out).
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#19 » by LonZoBallin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:54 pm

dorkestra wrote:I was hoping we could nab him with the Lakers pick around 8 or 9. Looking less likely.

I'd take him or Jackson with your pick. Grab a point guard with the lakers pick. It's so deep with Point guards you will get a great point guard with a late top 10 pick. You could even play Monk at the Point Guard on Phily because Simmons gonna have the ball most of the time anyway
No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:03 pm

bigboi wrote:

There's zero reason why he can't be a Klay Thompson type player on offense at least

Klay is a much sounder shooter in terms of going to his spots, catching in rythm, he is not gonna go hot/cold as much, plus he can shoot over anybody at 6'8, Monk doesnt have that type of length and he doesnt have the ballhandling or shake that smaller Guards like McCollum do, if he hones his defensive skills he might be able to be an Avery Bradley type or something like that, but most likely than not he ends up as an elite 6th man, which has value and all that, just not top10 of the draft value.

Return to NBA Draft