ImageImageImageImageImage

Kenley Jansen is Back (5 years $80 million)

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Kenley Jansen is Back (5 years $80 million) 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Title.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Kenley Jansen is Back (5 years $80 million) 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:38 am

Nice we're keeping the band together, and I'm glad we kept Jansen, but I'm waiting for the upgrades...

Not that there was much of an upgrade available at closer, but still...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Renewing Vows with Dodgers 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 am

I'm admittedly surprised to see Kenley Jansen coming back given what he signed for, but I can't say that I'm disappointed to have him back. Yeah, we lost out on a draft pick and I'm not exactly fond of the money guaranteed in the deal either. However, the opt-out clause I'm usually against could actually be a saving grace, but that's only if he continues to pitch lights out for the next 3 seasons. The AAV of the contract is $16 million but it is slightly backloaded.

Having said all that, I'm happy to hear that Kenley wanted to come back in order to remain a Dodger. Spending time with teammates during his wedding prior to his signing apparently made him see the light in prioritizing the important things in his life with regards to family and happiness. He reportedly also gave consideration to the organization for developing him as a catcher-turned-reliever.

Unlike Aroldis Chapman, Jansen was game for stepping up in pitching multiple innings in order to get us a playoff win where Clayton Kershaw came in to close on short rest. Chapman just complained that he felt overused by the Cubs despite not providing nearly as gritty a peformance as KJ this postseason.

This is arguably the worst of the free-agent deals we signed this offseason based on the financial commitment but I'm glad that--as Neddy said--to have the band back together in order to compete for a World Series. Plus, with all the money coming off the books in the next couple of seasons, we're not necessarily in bad financial shape, especially if we continue to rely on our young talent to step into playing big roles for our major-league ballclub.

I also have to mention that our front office at least is willing to venture outside of its comfort zone occasionally when the situation warrants it in paying a reliever big money. This shows to me that the brain trust is not stuck in old habits in being flexible when necessary.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Tweets on KJ Signing 

Post#4 » by Ranma » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers