Lonzo Ball

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

asian
Junior
And1: 6

Re: Lonzo Ball 

Post#141 » by asian » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:45 am

Yeah, the kid reminds me a little of Jason Kidd with a better J.
pardon my english, coz my english sux!
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#142 » by LonZoBallin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:25 pm

And still #1 overall pick, Lonzo Ball.

It's all about winning and this guy is the ultimate winner. Undefeated for 2 straight years, Lonzo ball doesn't know how to lose basketball games.

And young Ball my boy Lamelo was pulling up from halfcourt last night like a boss.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,385

Post#143 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:48 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:And still #1 overall pick, Lonzo Ball.

It's all about winning and this guy is the ultimate winner. Undefeated for 2 straight years, Lonzo ball doesn't know how to lose basketball games.

And young Ball my boy Lamelo was pulling up from halfcourt last night like a boss.

Honestly, I think this is his best asset as a player. He makes everyone around him better and makes them believe. He's a winner in every sense of the word. I think that is what puts him right up there with Fultz and Smith. Personally, depending on what my team had I would take Ball over those two simply because of that special winning attitude that delivers.
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,092

Post#144 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:29 pm

I really hope he goes to Phoenix next year. I think that would be a pretty good match.
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#145 » by LonZoBallin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Chi town wrote:

Honestly, I think this is his best asset as a player. He makes everyone around him better and makes them believe. He's a winner in every sense of the word. I think that is what puts him right up there with Fultz and Smith. Personally, depending on what my team had I would take Ball over those two simply because of that special winning attitude that delivers.

People will point to him being at UCLA for him winning while the others are at NC State and Washington, but UCLA hasn't been good for years. They were 15-17 last year!!! He didn't go to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, he went to a team that was 15-17 the year prior and turned them into an unbeatable team.

He'd turn the Sixers into a winner but they won't take him. They'll say Smith and Fultz fit better with Simmons, and may be right. But I know what will happen, Sixers will take Fultz or Smith, They'll put up big scoring #'s..lead the team in points...but keep losing.

And whatever team Lonzo gets picked by will compete for a playoff spot in his rookie season, book it! I hope Dallas gets him, New Orleans, Miami, Denver, Minny and the Kings.

Lonzo Ball gets picked by any of the teams above, they'll make the playoffs. Miami shouldn't care about Dragic, same with Muniday in Denver and Dunn/rubio in Minny. If Ball is on the board all those teams will regret passing on him if they do.

I'll even say Point guard crazy Phoenix shouldn't pass on him because Bledsoe or Knight isn't the answer. Ball is the answer if you want to win games. We'll see which team wants to be a winner come next draft...
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 15,239

Post#146 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Yeah, Lonzo isn't getting drafted and turning a team into a contender. I mean, that's ridiculous. Anthony Davis won a title at Kentucky, the guy still needs loads of help in the pros and he's fantastic.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,234

Post#147 » by doordoor123 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Yeah, Lonzo isn't getting drafted and turning a team into a contender. I mean, that's ridiculous. Anthony Davis won a title at Kentucky, the guy still needs loads of help in the pros and he's fantastic.

I don't think he's saying single-handedly turn a team into a contender. What I think he's trying to say is that a lot of teams have the pieces for a winning team but are missing either A) a superstar or B) a guy that can create for others. With that idea I don't see why not. Damian Lillard pretty much had that effect when he was drafted.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#148 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:50 pm

I saw a video of that game. Both of Lonzo's little brothers are amazing. Not sure I've ever seen a high school player with as much swag as LaMelo - but he was still hustling - not just playing cool. At around 5'10 - if he just grows a few inches (and he should - he's probably 15 or 16?) and his coaches let him play, he could be the best in the family. Phenom.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#149 » by ItsThatEasy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I saw a video of that game. Both of Lonzo's little brothers are amazing. Not sure I've ever seen a high school player with as much swag as LaMelo - but he was still hustling - not just playing cool. At around 5'10 - if he just grows a few inches (and he should - he's probably 15 or 16?) and his coaches let him play, he could be the best in the family. Phenom.

I really don't want to spend time on a 15 year old but did you see who they were playing? The other team could barely inbound the ball against a full court press. Pulling up from distance against YMCA level athletes means absolutely nothing. Against actual college level talent he looks pedestrian. LaMelo will be lucky to get a spot on a summer league team when it's all said and done.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#150 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:05 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I really don't want to spend time on a 15 year old but did you see who they were playing? The other team could barely inbound the ball against a full court press. Pulling up from distance against YMCA level athletes means absolutely nothing. Against actual college level talent he looks pedestrian. LaMelo will be lucky to get a spot on a summer league team when it's all said and done.

I agree with some of that. It's way early to make any definitive conclusions especially considering we have no idea how tall he'll get, but considering who his brothers are and how young he is, it's not hard to see the possibility of big things happening for him. Anyway, let's move on.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,388

Post#151 » by DirtyDez » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Pretty poor midrange numbers... http://www.hoop-math.com/UCLA2017.php
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
cellar-door
Starter
And1: 1,095

Post#152 » by cellar-door » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:31 am

DirtyDez wrote:Pretty poor midrange numbers... http://www.hoop-math.com/UCLA2017.php

1 for 7 doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Though the 7 attempts could be a thing in itself.
He's not showing any ability to create his own shot off the dribble, or get the separation he needs because of that funky release. He's basically a pass or 3 guy only in the halfcourt at this point. I'd love to find his contested vs. open breakdowns for his 3s, he'll get a lot less wide open 3s in the pros, so if he isn't knocking down contested or semi-contested 3s there is reason to think he'll be a very limited offensive player in the NBA.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#153 » by ItsThatEasy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 pm

cellar-door wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:Pretty poor midrange numbers... http://www.hoop-math.com/UCLA2017.php

1 for 7 doesn't necessarily mean anything.
Though the 7 attempts could be a thing in itself.
He's not showing any ability to create his own shot off the dribble, or get the separation he needs because of that funky release. He's basically a pass or 3 guy only in the halfcourt at this point. I'd love to find his contested vs. open breakdowns for his 3s, he'll get a lot less wide open 3s in the pros, so if he isn't knocking down contested or semi-contested 3s there is reason to think he'll be a very limited offensive player in the NBA.

The numbers and the tape speak for themselves. He has no midrange game at all and he won't be getting that 3 ball off so easy in the league. The idea of him being a #1 pick is comical.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,234

Post#154 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:16 pm

I imagine his release would be hard to get off in the mid range, but he doesn't even really take midrange shots.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 7,052

Post#155 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm

I am definitely seeing weak spots in his game. He is a still a great floor general, but speed, defense, and even handles are question marks.

He definitely made the plays at the end that should have won it for them last night, too bad coach's son (who was hellbent on being the one to get fouled and shoot the free throws) couldn't finish it.
cellar-door
Starter

Post#156 » by cellar-door » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:46 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I am definitely seeing weak spots in his game. He is a still a great floor general, but speed, defense, and even handles are question marks.

He definitely made the plays at the end that should have won it for them last night, too bad coach's son (who was hellbent on being the one to get fouled and shoot the free throws) couldn't finish it.

To be fair to Alford he's the best FT shooter on the team (and Ball is a bad one).
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#157 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:57 pm

cellar-door wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:I am definitely seeing weak spots in his game. He is a still a great floor general, but speed, defense, and even handles are question marks.

To be fair to Alford he's the best FT shooter on the team (and Ball is a bad one).

Oh definitely. And I actually like that he wanted to be the one taking the FT's. But he unfortunately missed a couple in the last couple of minutes (IIRC) that cost them.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#158 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Here is about a good an analysis I've seen yet of Ball (and is only part 1 apparently):
http://www.deepishthoughts.com/kaisers-draft-notes-lonzo-ball/
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,388

Post#159 » by DirtyDez » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Is it possible his shot trajectory/arc simply isn't built for shorter range accuracy?

fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
cellar-door
Starter

Re: RE: Re: Lonzo Ball 

Post#160 » by cellar-door » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:Here is about a good an analysis I've seen yet of Ball (and is only part 1 apparently):
http://www.deepishthoughts.com/kaisers-draft-notes-lonzo-ball/

It's pretty good, I'd like to see if he addresses FTr and FT% in the second part. If Ball can't draw fouls and make his FTs a lot of those season comps he's listing for guys who don't score midrange go out the window.

Return to NBA Draft