Image Image Image Image

Top QB options

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Top QB options 

Post#1 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:39 am

Since QB is so important and there are going to be some QB available this offseason that usually wouldn't be I thought we could discuss a list of our best options and what we'd give up for them.

college
Watson- like all of the QBs coming out I don't think he has NFL accuracy. Also he's far to TO prone. I have strong doubts that changes against NFL defenses. I think he can be successful in the right system (and by successful I mean a decent backup) but that's not what we're looking for.

deshone kizer- I don't know much about him but from what I saw I was very unimpressed. He just didn't look good to me. Also (I may be thinking of another team) but I think he was switched the starting spot with another QB for a couple weeks before he actually won the job.

Mitch Trubisky- I've only seen highlight tapes of him so I can't have a definitive opinion on him but for the first time I was unimpressed by a QB highlight tape.

David Webb- I've literally seen nothing on him until I decided to make this tread. His stats are pretty great. 62% completion percentage over 4,000 passing years, 37 TDs and 12 ints. From the video below, it looks like he has a lot of positives. Good mobility, above average accuracy and nice touch. A negative would be that it looks like he lacks ideal arm strength. Some of the pass he completed would most likely not be completed against NFL teams since the passes don't have enough zip on them. I think he'd be my number one option if i decided to draft a QB in this draft. Would wait until the third.

NFL
Kirk Cousins will be a free agent after this season unless they resign him. If they still have the same reservation about Cousins as they did last year they might let him hit the open market and I don't think Washington will tag him again. I'd be willing to pay him a lot of money because I thinks he's been great the past two season but since we'd be going from one huge contract that bit us in the ass I wouldn pass on taking the chance of Cousins contract biting us in the ass.

Philip Rivers: This is odd because guys like Rivers aren't usually available. The chargers have been wasting his talents for so long it's a real shame. I'm not even sure if he's available or if it's just everyone wants him to be traded so he no longer has to suffer. He's easily going to have the biggest price tag when it comes to trades but if all the other pieces are in place it's most likely worth it.

Tony Romo: Dude is great but can't stay healthy and it's hard to determine his trade value since Jerry Jones is his BFF. I would give up multiple late picks at best. Nothing before the 4th round. I think the Broncos are going to over pay so it might not even matter.

Jimmy Garoppolo: I think that he should a lot in his two starts this season. He was really slinging the ball against those team, something Matt Cassle didn't do while starting for the Pats. I also put a lot of value in the fact that he was draft by the Patriots in the 2nd round even though they had Brady and many other offensive needs. Plus he was getting a lot of positive buzz entering the draft. I think he's pro bowl caliber. I think the rumor (more like speculation) that the starting price is a 1st and 4th is being taking a little to seriously. Bradford was an established starter and the Vikings were panicking. Jimmy has played a game and a half and is entering the last season of his contract. I'd be completely shocked if a first is given up for him.
patryk7754
Head Coach

Re: Top QB options 

Post#2 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:50 am

Overall my top options would be as follows

1. Garoppolo: there's not much to go off on but I think he's shown enough to trade for him. I'd give up a 2nd and 5th for him.

2. Philip Rivers: Go big or go home. He's elite and has shown it for the past 10+ years. Assuming everyone one on offense can be healthy for the majority of the season, I think we have a super bowl caliber offense after adding a better LT. U

Upgrade at LT/Sitton/Whiehair/Long/Hopefully not Massie
Jeffery/White/ Meredith
Miller
Howard/Langford
Rivers

You can't tell me that offensive isn't going to get buckets.

He's going to be costly. Probably at least a 1st and 3rd but if we add enough through Free agency I think it could be worth it. If we do add a bunch of talent, Rivers moves up to my number one option.

3. Romo: He's one of the best when on the field but he's not on the field that often so the price has to be right.

4. Davis Webb: Nothing special but nothing that really turns me off.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#3 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:04 am

1- There just is not enough on Jimmy to roll the dice and pay what the Patriots will surely be asking.

2. Phillip is 35 yrs old and is going to make 20+ million and has a no trade clause . We have too many holes to fill to roll that dice

3. Romo if released I would bite but I wouldnt take on that contract with so many more holes to fill.

4- I just dont see the Bears taking on any rookie QB in this draft . Its just not a good draft for it .

I think we are looking at the Bears going hard after Cousins if the Skins dont tag him again and then bringing back Hoyer/Barkley as the backup .

The Bears are projected to have between 60-80 million in cap space and that should be enough to resign Alshon and get you at least 3 starters .The worst thing they can do is get caught in the qb will solve all our problems thats what got Angelo to put us in the mess we are in now to begin with
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#4 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 5:19 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:1- There just is not enough on Jimmy to roll the dice and pay what the Patriots will surely be asking.

2. Phillip is 35 yrs old and is going to make 20+ million and has a no trade clause . We have too many holes to fill to roll that dice

3. Romo if released I would bite but I wouldnt take on that contract with so many more holes to fill.

4- I just dont see the Bears taking on any rookie QB in this draft . Its just not a good draft for it .

I think we are looking at the Bears going hard after Cousins if the Skins dont tag him again and then bringing back Hoyer/Barkley as the backup .

The Bears are projected to have between 60-80 million in cap space and that should be enough to resign Alshon and get you at least 3 starters .The worst thing they can do is get caught in the qb will solve all our problems thats what got Angelo to put us in the mess we are in now to begin with

You make a lot of good points about the risks that come with these QBs. But like you said, we have enough cap to add a lot of significant talent. Talent that might make us a "win now" team. So why not pull the trigger on Rivers. Yeah he's old but he has a good few year left in him and I doubt he uses his no trade clause assuming we add a bunch of talent.

If we do trade for Rivers, it wouldn't be the same as the trade for Cutler. Cutler had one good season under his belt while Rivers has 10+.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#5 » by CjayC » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:33 am

I'd trade a 2nd rounder for Garoppolo. The entire deal would look something like our 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder(The one that belongs to the Bills), and maybe some kind of future consideration like a 3rd or 4th next year.

We have cap space so the mystery amount of money you have to extend him for isn't a problem. Osweiler, Tyrod Taylor, Kaepernick, are all own 2 year prove it deals more or less, and I'm guessing he's signing for something in the area code of 30 million guaranteed more or less(Osweiler got 37 million guaranteed). The team has control after the 2 years of guaranteed money is paid up. I know he only has 1 1/2 game of experience, but trust me on this one :D

Getting him wouldn't mean don't draft a QB somewhere in the draft, just that I don't necessarily find value of drafting Watson, Kizer, or Trubisky when we have a shot at some real studs for a change like Adams, Allen, Peppers, Humphrey, etc...

I'm thinking it's very possible Jimmy comes here. There's a theory that Belichick worked out the joint practice with us so that we could get a good look at him. They won't be too desperate, but I think they want him to succeed so they won't just move him anywhere unless McDaniels leave the Patriots. If McDaniels leaves and takes Garoppolo with him, it kind of leaves us in a position where we have to swing at Kizer or Trubisky. I'd be perfectly content with taking the best player available, but the average meatball Chicago Bear fan won't stand for us passing on a QB, and in a way they're right. Barkley, Cutler, Hoyer, Fales are hard to watch and don't inspire hope; stop gap and free agency options like Romo & Mike Glennon are just meh .

We have the pieces in place for a turn around on offense with the right QB, so hopefully we find the right QB.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,953

Post#6 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Jan 2, 2017 4:20 pm

If the Bears were serious about Garoppolo then I would probably try and get the Browns to give us 12th,33rd,and 52nd pick for the 3rd.This allows us to trade away 2 picks but still have a chance at the guys we want.

Jimmy is from Arlington Heights and played college ball at Eastern and we did get an extended look at him during the joint practice . The key is still being able to bring in a couple of young pieces via the draft . Jimmy cannot be the focus of our draft.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#7 » by Susan » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:48 pm

I wonder what's going on in Buffalo with Tyrod.

I'd pay big money for him here.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#8 » by Bulls69 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:54 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:1- There just is not enough on Jimmy to roll the dice and pay what the Patriots will surely be asking.

You are on to something I doubt the Skins let Cousins walk I draft the Defensive player available at 3 I will give Vic his wish if in the second round a QB falls like the QB from the Irish then I would pull the trigger on him. I just hope the Bears don't pick a QB with the third pick just to shut up the fan base.
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#9 » by Bulls69 » Mon Jan 2, 2017 8:17 pm

Susan wrote:I wonder what's going on in Buffalo with Tyrod.

I'd pay big money for him here.

Not a fan at all
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
clancyphile
Junior
And1: 10

Post#10 » by clancyphile » Tue Jan 3, 2017 5:01 am

I think the #3 pick is fool's gold.

Best to trade down, and try to get in a position to get more picks in the first three rounds. I want to get two CBs and a way to fix LT, either by moving Kyle Long there or by drafting one.

As for QB? Maybe stick with Cutler, but look for a good backup.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#11 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 2:15 pm

I think if we cut Cutler we might as well go a year with Hoyer, Barkley and Fales. Hoyer will always be a good backup and he said he's willing to groom a young guy. Barkley is a good #3 and maybe Fales can learn enough to move up past Barkley as a cheaper option.

Wait until 2018 to draft a guy. These guys aren't worth an early draft pick.

I would trade a 2 and 4/5 for Garoppolo. But I wouldn't pay him $20M/year

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
patryk7754
Head Coach

Post#12 » by patryk7754 » Tue Jan 3, 2017 8:01 pm

A.J McCarron is expected to be traded. Apparently theres going to to be a healthy market. Bill Polian also said he'd be the best QB in this draft which I would disagree with
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#13 » by Axxo » Tue Jan 3, 2017 9:07 pm

Patrick Mahomes is a name linked to the Bears. Would be a 2nd or 3rd round selection.
GinWeary
Senior
And1: 345

Post#14 » by GinWeary » Wed Jan 4, 2017 7:52 pm

The Bears seem to be in a no-win situation when it comes to the QB position right now. The draft does not have any reliable options. However, I suppose that means nothing in the long run. Not every player's projection will turn out correct, and there may very well be a future HOFer in this year's draft. It is a risky option to plan on drafting a "Franchise QB" this year.

As far as current NFL QBs, outside of Garoppolo and building a future with him, do the Bears want an injury prone Romo or an aging Rivers for 2-3 years? Rivers has been in the league 13 seasons. I do not see the Bears as a "win-now" team that they need a player like him. Honestly, I would rather keep Cutler at this point. Moving on from Cutler to Rivers is as close to a lateral move as you get. Rivers' passer rating in 2015 was 93.8 (61.4 QBR) while Cutler's was 92.3 (65.9 QBR). Sure, Rivers passes for more yds and has a better career overall, but that has been in SD. SD has been a much better organization and team during Rivers' career than the Bears. We are talking about an offense in Chicago with Loggains as its coordinator and extremely injury prone WRs and O-Linemen.

The Bears just won 3 games and had one of the worst seasons in franchise history. The Bears are still looking up at GB, Det, and MIN. They need a long-term option, why settle for a rental like Rivers or Romo when they are not likely to surpass the rest of the division in the next 2-3 seasons anyway?

Either roll the dice on a guy in the draft and try to develop him or stick with Cutler or Hoyer/Barkley, suck for another year, build up the defense in the draft this year and try to answer the QB question in the 2018 Draft.
“Fortunately, there is gin, the sole glimmer in this darkness.Do you feel the golden, copper-coloured light it kindles in you? I like walking through the city of an evening in the warmth of gin.” – Albert Camus
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,201

Post#15 » by fleet » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:57 pm

I like him. From the tapes it looks like he can make any throw from the pocket and he can escape and throw on the run accurately. He has quick feet and can really run with the ball. If he is there with a top 3 grade, I cant see the Bears passing him up if they don't trade for Garapolo.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,201

Post#16 » by fleet » Wed Jan 4, 2017 9:59 pm

Mitch Trubisky- I've only seen highlight tapes of him so I can't have a definitive opinion on him but for the first time I was unimpressed by a QB highlight tape

I like him. From the tapes it looks like he can make any throw from the pocket and he can escape and throw on the run accurately. He has quick feet and can really run with the ball. If he is there with a top 3 grade, I cant see the Bears passing him up if they don't trade for Garapolo.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#17 » by City of Trees » Sat Jan 7, 2017 8:57 am

I'm going to say Hoyer is the most logical and realistic choice at QB next season. Chances to resign are high, he won't cost much nor will he be a future financial risk, and he already knows the playbook/players.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: RE: Re: Top QB options 

Post#18 » by heir_jordan22 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 4:33 pm

City of Trees wrote:I'm going to say Hoyer is the most logical and realistic choice at QB next season. Chances to resign are high, he won't cost much nor will he be a future financial risk, and he already knows the playbook/players.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

I agree. Let's hope we can make a trade for Garoppolo that doesn't destroy our draft. And still keep Hoyer as the backup.

Sent from my SM-G920P using RealGM mobile app
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#19 » by Chi town » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:31 am

I think Pace will make his move at QB this offseason.

1. Sign Tyrod Taylor. He doesn't throw picks and tosses a beautiful deep ball. Alshon will resign to a team friendly deal. Tyrod doesn't throw picks or turn the ball over. He moves the sticks w his feet whe. Plays collapse too. He's the perfect game manager for Fox. TY Hilton money for Alshon. Draft Hooker, Des King in 2nd, and Jake Butt in 3rd. Draft development QB in 4th... Chad Kelley.

2. Trade for Jimmy G. I honestly believe these are the only two routes Pace goes.

Make the playoffs next season pounding the ball w Howard and owning time of possession. That's how you will beat GB and own the division.

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#20 » by CjayC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:56 pm

No to Tyrod. He's better than Cutler, but who isn't? Bills are bottom of the barrel in most passing statistics and I've heard a rumor that the Bills receivers are begging management to draft Watson if he's available and aren't going up to bat for Tyrod even though management wants to move on from him. We shouldn't be looking for any old QB that's better than Cutler because it'll be a decent sized list.

Bears have been tied to Kaaya and supposedly were at The U's facility more than any other team so look for that in the 2nd round if he's available. The Saints were also scouting Garoppolo heavy when Pace was there and he got a chance to see Garoppolo up close during their joint practice with the Pats so look for that as well.

Return to Chicago Bears