ImageImageImageImage

Dallas Cowboy/General Forum and Football thread.

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Re: Dallas Cowboy/General Forum and Football thread. 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Jan 5, 2017 10:35 pm

And... Randy Gregory suspended for a year.

Yin - meet Yang.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#42 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 7, 2017 5:02 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Meanwhile, in really, REALLY good news...

Read on Twitter

Yea I don't know how much truth is actually in that. From my understanding he's still wearing the brace and there is no way in hell he could play LB in the NFL with a brace on his foot. The nerve might have started firing but even if it has he still has a long way to go. From what I've heard, once the nerve starts to regenerate it does so at a pace of about one inch a month. And the nerve is 9 inches long. So even if it did just start to regenerate he still has about 8 months to go at least.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jan 7, 2017 11:30 pm

Mr B wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yea I don't know how much truth is actually in that. From my understanding he's still wearing the brace and there is no way in hell he could play LB in the NFL with a brace on his foot. The nerve might have started firing but even if it has he still has a long way to go. From what I've heard, once the nerve starts to regenerate it does so at a pace of about one inch a month. And the nerve is 9 inches long. So even if it did just start to regenerate he still has about 8 months to go at least.

So - he ran a 4.5 40 with a brace?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#44 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 7, 2017 11:43 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Read on Twitter

So - he ran a 4.5 40 with a brace?

Apparently so. Running straight ahead is much different that stopping, cutting and changing direction.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#45 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 8, 2017 1:47 am

Read on Twitter

Can't wait to see this kid play next year. Him and Lee should be a force. Can BJJ have my defensive :pray: e line now, please, lol.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#46 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:31 pm

If the Cowboys come and play, make no mistakes and take care of the ball, I'm predicting a blow out. I can see the Cowboys scoring at least 38 points today. maybe more if all things go well and we can get the Packers to fold their tents early. I personally don't think they have much left. Packers will play hard early, but if we get the jump on them early, this could get ugly.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:43 am

I survived The Catch.

I'll survive this.

Dak Prescott will win Super Bowl(s). The future is bright.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#48 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:50 pm

No matter how much love I have for my Cowboys, No matter how much I still and will always support them, and even though I had the best time this year talking football with everyone, it still comes down to this for me. I know I sound like a broken record again for the 8th year in a row, but our defense let us down again. Just what I was afraid of going into this season. We are going in the right direction though. WE need a D-line, please, for christ sake.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#49 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:18 pm

I agree 100%. Prepare yourself for a little bit of disappointment though if the TE from Bama O.J. Howard is still in the board at 28.

The guy I'm looking at though is the LB from Vanderbilt Zach Cunningham. Dude is a tackling machine.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#50 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:I survived The Catch.

I'll survive this.

I'm disappointed but not heart broke like you it seems. I really didn't expect us being this good till next year as we have discussed since last year's draft. A wasted opportunity but a hell of a bright future if certain things take place. But Otis, of all the posters here in realgm, you and I go way back to the espn days. How many years now has the defense let us down in big games and moments? Its time for some talent, brains and non red flag players on defense that we now need to finish these last few pieces of the puzzle. Regardless of our offense, look at our defense we had with our previous 8 super bowl teams. It speaks for itself. We just don't get the stops and turn overs in big games and moments like we used to. Each passing year I appreciate Lilly, Pugh, White, Jones, Haley and Lett even more. Oh, and it was always nice when charlie Waters would always come up with a playoff int almost every year.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:52 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:No matter how much love I have for my Cowboys, No matter how much I still and will always support them, and even though I had the best time this year talking football with everyone, it still comes down to this for me. I know I sound like a broken record again for the 8th year in a row, but our defense let us down again. Just what I was afraid of going into this season. We are going in the right direction though. WE need a D-line, please, for christ sake.

You have been heard... I think

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:No matter how much love I have for my Cowboys, No matter how much I still and will always support them, and even though I had the best time this year talking football with everyone, it still comes down to this for me. I know I sound like a broken record again for the 8th year in a row, but our defense let us down again. Just what I was afraid of going into this season. We are going in the right direction though. WE need a D-line, please, for christ sake.

Read on Twitter

That's definitely good to hear. Hopefully they don't feel the need to waist another 2nd round pick on a falling player.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Read on Twitter

That's definitely good to hear. Hopefully they don't feel the need to waist another 2nd round pick on a falling player.

Amen.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:19 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:I survived The Catch.

I'll survive this.

I'm disappointed but not heart broke like you it seems. I really didn't expect us being this good till next year as we have discussed since last year's draft. A wasted opportunity but a hell of a bright future if certain things take place. But Otis, of all the posters here in realgm, you and I go way back to the espn days. How many years now has the defense let us down in big games and moments? Its time for some talent, brains and non red flag players on defense that we now need to finish these last few pieces of the puzzle. Regardless of our offense, look at our defense we had with our previous 8 super bowl teams. It speaks for itself. We just don't get the stops and turn overs in big games and moments like we used to. Each passing year I appreciate Lilly, Pugh, White, Jones, Haley and Lett even more. Oh, and it was always nice when charlie Waters would always come up with a playoff int almost every year.

I'm not heartbroken at all BJJ. I'm incredibly optimistic. Maybe more so than anytime in the last 10 years since Parcells left. The team got young in a hurry, there appears to be a clear direction and philosophy, there appears to be a leadership structure in place (Stephen, McClay and Garrett) that can "manage" Jerry a little bit and there's the prospect of getting out of Salary Cap hell in the next couple of seasons. My comment was specific to all the doom and gloom over the results of the game Sunday. My brother-in-law and father-in-law and others are killing themselves over the game. I'm not.

Everyone should be aware that nothing is guaranteed when it comes to next season (I know I am). People point at the Panthers and Broncos as examples. But - you, I and Mr. B all know - this isn't the Panthers and this isn't the Broncos. Health permitting, our heroes are positioning themselves for several years of sustained success.

Gotta fix the defense. That's going to be tricky. More to come.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#55 » by Mr B » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:45 pm

This is from one of the local Dallas sports radio guys...

Jeff Cavanaugh (@JC1053)
1/16/17, 1:05 PM
Stephen Jones says this offseason the goal is to invest resources whether it be salary cap or draft picks to improve the defense.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#56 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:36 am

Mr B wrote:I agree 100%. Prepare yourself for a little bit of disappointment though if the TE from Bama O.J. Howard is still in the board at 28.

The guy I'm looking at though is the LB from Vanderbilt Zach Cunningham. Dude is a tackling machine.

I'm all for getting rid of Escobar. I've seen enough of him this year to make me fed up with him. I see we signed Rico Gathers a couple days ago.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#57 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:38 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:I agree 100%. Prepare yourself for a little bit of disappointment though if the TE from Bama O.J. Howard is still in the board at 28.

I'm all for getting rid of Escobar. I've seen enough of him this year to make me feed up with him. I see we signed Rico Gathers a couple days ago.

Apparently Rico was looking pretty good on the scout team too. Should be interesting to see how he performs in camp.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:08 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

I'm all for getting rid of Escobar. I've seen enough of him this year to make me feed up with him. I see we signed Rico Gathers a couple days ago.

Man... Escobar just SUCKS! Can't block for s*** and can't get open. Pretty much two necessary traits for a decent TE.

We have Swaim and Hanna. Let's just move on from this useless cap space holder. He won't be in the league in two years.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Man... Escobar just SUCKS! Can't block for s*** and can't get open. Pretty much two necessary traits for a decent TE.

We have Swaim and Hanna. Let's just move on from this useless cap space holder. He won't be in the league in two years.

Part of me wants agree with you that Escobar will be out of the league in 2 years. It then I look at the number of TE's around the league that started in Dallas. Escobar will probably leave Dallas and have a long productive career and look much better than he ever did in Dallas.

Swaim impressed me this year and I'm looking forward to what he can do next year. Hanna is solid too. Nothing special but solid. From my understanding this draft is deep in TE's too. So even if OJ Howard is gone they should be able to find a good TE in the middle rounds.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I'm all for getting rid of Escobar. I've seen enough of him this year to make me feed up with him. I see we signed Rico Gathers a couple days ago.

Part of me wants agree with you that Escobar will be out of the league in 2 years. It then I look at the number of TE's around the league that started in Dallas. Escobar will probably leave Dallas and have a long productive career and look much better than he ever did in Dallas.

Former Cowboys TE's with long productive careers after leaving Dallas;

Marty B
Fasano
?????????

Both those guys can block. Escobar is a turnstile.

2 years. Max.

Return to Dallas Cowboys