Leafs 2016-17 Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,043

Re: Leafs 2016-17 Season Thread 

Post#81 » by Westside Gunn » Sun Jan 1, 2017 7:46 am

16-12 you really can't complain.

Let's see what happens in 2017, if their record plummets for that high draft pick. If they make the playoffs its not bad for the inexperienced bunch the leafs have, even if they get swept.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#82 » by BramptonYute » Sun Jan 1, 2017 11:46 pm

young team, so I get it. But man, we have a tough time defending leads
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#83 » by LLJ » Sun Jan 1, 2017 11:56 pm

Remember when everyone was panacing during Matthews' 13 game goalless drought? :lol:

Remember, never get too high when things look great (4 goal game), and never get too low when things look bad (13 game slump). Despite his awful November slump he's neck and neck in the rookie scoring leaders with Laine again.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#84 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Jan 2, 2017 12:02 am

AWESOME WIN! Woohoo! Hooray!
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,158

Post#85 » by GooniesNeverDie » Mon Jan 2, 2017 7:46 am

LLJ wrote:Remember when everyone was panacing during Matthews' 13 game goalless drought? :lol:

Remember, never get too high when things look great (4 goal game), and never get too low when things look bad (13 game slump). Despite his awful November slump he's neck and neck in the rookie scoring leaders with Laine again.

he was a beast during that 13 game stretch too.. just hit a bunch of posts and got robbed a bunch of times. kid is a superstar.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#86 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jan 2, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't think anyone panicked. He's exceeding my expectations right now, though. Playing exclusively with other rookies, too. I wonder if there's a historical precedent for that.

Connor Brown looks like he's really found another gear, too.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#87 » by whysoserious » Tue Jan 3, 2017 1:59 pm

I was never really worried during his slump considering the amount of chances he was getting and with his talent you just expect they'll eventually go in. He's got 20 goals now and getting the OT winner in the outdoor game was pretty awesome.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#88 » by LLJ » Tue Jan 3, 2017 6:20 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I don't think anyone panicked. He's exceeding my expectations right now, though. Playing exclusively with other rookies, too. I wonder if there's a historical precedent for that.

It was less about being worried that he was a bust and more in the vein of "Welp! We shoulda picked Laine!!"

Read some of the past pages in here. A few posters were talking about it. On some of the other Leafs boards out there, some people were really panicking.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#89 » by whysoserious » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:32 pm

Next evolution of this team is definitely figuring out a way to hold on to these leads. They got lucky the three games prior to yesterday picking up the extra point.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#90 » by LLJ » Fri Jan 6, 2017 3:14 pm

whysoserious wrote:Next evolution of this team is definitely figuring out a way to hold on to these leads. They got lucky the three games prior to yesterday picking up the extra point.

They either get too cautious or too risky. Babcock sometimes doesn't always opt to play his veterans as much in the 3rd, instead letting his young guys learn and burn.

I'd imagine this 3rd period lead thing will be an issue all season. It should get better next year.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#91 » by Ong_dynasty » Sun Jan 8, 2017 12:35 pm

LLJ wrote:
whysoserious wrote:Next evolution of this team is definitely figuring out a way to hold on to these leads. They got lucky the three games prior to yesterday picking up the extra point.

They either get too cautious or too risky. Babcock sometimes doesn't always opt to play his veterans as much in the 3rd, instead letting his young guys learn and burn.

I'd imagine this 3rd period lead thing will be an issue all season. It should get better next year.

But that's a great thing..as much everyone would love another high pick..if the young core are able to go through the learning curve and at the same time get a playoff spot..wow..

I always get frustrated with fans (in any sport) who love the idea of stockpiling picks..but they need to grow internally and win..sooner rather than later...
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#92 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:04 pm

LLJ wrote:

What veterans? Most of the guys on the team are career losers who have never played with many leads to begin with. He has nothing to choose from.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#93 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:09 pm

Ong_dynasty wrote:
LLJ wrote:

But that's a great thing..as much everyone would love another high pick..if the young core are able to go through the learning curve and at the same time get a playoff spot..wow..

I always get frustrated with fans (in any sport) who love the idea of stockpiling picks..but they need to grow internally and win..sooner rather than later...

There's also a misnomer that we "just" started our rebuild. They've been getting high picks for a long time now, well before Shanahan took over. It's time for Kadri and Rielly to show us something. The exciting thing is that they're getting good minutes from more than half a dozen rookies. And that they have already stockpiled depth in the minors. Whatever comes next will just be trade bait and parts to keep the cap under control.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#94 » by LLJ » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:09 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
LLJ wrote:

What veterans? Most of the guys on the team are career losers who have never played with many leads to begin with. He has nothing to choose from.

Very funny. But you know what I mean. Guys with more than 2-3 years under their belt. Sometimes coaches may prefer to experience out there even if they are "worse" talent wise than the younger guys.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#95 » by whysoserious » Mon Jan 9, 2017 12:58 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
There's also a misnomer that we "just" started our rebuild. They've been getting high picks for a long time now, well before Shanahan took over. It's time for Kadri and Rielly to show us something. The exciting thing is that they're getting good minutes from more than half a dozen rookies. And that they have already stockpiled depth in the minors. Whatever comes next will just be trade bait and parts to keep the cap under control.

Kadri really seems to have turned a corner with a defined role and his offensive production has gone up. He may hit 30 goals this year which would be huge. Rielly had a strong start but he's kind of been a bit out of sight of late. I think Gardiner's also turned a corner and I hear his name coming up in a ton of trade rumours but I'd like to see him stick around.

You are right that we've been getting picks for a while and a lot of it is also not giving away picks and acquiring picks beyond the first round. I'm indifferent on making the playoffs this year vs. a high draft pick again. From what I hear this isn't a great draft so if you pick 3rd or 10th it sounds like it's not that much of a difference (but that's just a few things I heard online recently). If that is the case then it's just a matter of playing as hard as you can, if you make the playoffs great and if you don't add another young player to the core.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#96 » by whysoserious » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Matthews to the All-Star team, pretty huge for a rookie to make it. Glad to see it. I thought maybe Freddie Anderson might have an outside shot to be the second goalie in the division to make it.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#97 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:33 am

Great win tonight over the Rangers!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#98 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:49 pm

I still expect a fold around mid-February with so many rookies, but it's been a fun ride and we're as good as any team outside the top 5 in our conference.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#99 » by whysoserious » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I still expect a fold around mid-February with so many rookies, but it's been a fun ride and we're as good as any team outside the top 5 in our conference.

I can see it happening but there are enough vets around the team that may be able to carry the load while the rookies adjust during that period before they get back on track before the playoffs. At the end of the day, it seems like a no-lose situation for the Leafs regardless of what happens the remainder of the season.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#100 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 pm

whysoserious wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:I still expect a fold around mid-February with so many rookies, but it's been a fun ride and we're as good as any team outside the top 5 in our conference.

I can see it happening but there are enough vets around the team that may be able to carry the load while the rookies adjust during that period before they get back on track before the playoffs. At the end of the day, it seems like a no-lose situation for the Leafs regardless of what happens the remainder of the season.

There are no vets on this team. All the vets have been a part of every Leaf late season collapse or the one year we made the playoffs and **** our pants in the 3rd period of game 7, unless Matt Martin and Matt Hunwick are the kinds of guys you're talking about.

Even Komorov has only been in the league 4 years.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs