ImageImage

GT: Giants at Packers - Let's Beat These Bums - 3:40 PM FOX

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: RE: Re: GT: Giants at Packers - Let's Beat These Bums - 3:40 PM FOX 

Post#481 » by Bernman » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:06 am

humanrefutation wrote:I recall Hyde making more than one good punt return, too. Did a solid job in the secondary as well.

I'm not remembering Janis make any great kick returns, could have missed something, though.

Sure, throw Hyde into the mix. But I didn't watch all the defensive plays to have enough perspective on whether he played a good game on that front.

Janis had a 33 yard kickoff return to our 44 when the offense was stuck in neutral. Didn't get a score on that drive, but it set up good field position for the d. Janis made the stop at the Giants' 7 on the subsequent punt. We got the ball back on our own 38 and scored in a couple plays. Had another nice kickoff return too. Almost broke that one.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Re: GT: Giants at Packers - Let's Beat These Bums - 3:40 PM FOX 

Post#482 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:06 am

What was difference between the inept O early on and the masterful O we saw later?

A more relaxed, settled-in and confident Rodg?

A tiring nyg dline that had been playing above their heads earlier anyway?

Different playcalling by MM?
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,223

Post#483 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:07 am

Cobb finally earning his money today. He didn't do much besides a game or two this season but I'm ok with that if he turns it on and makes up for it in the playoffs.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#484 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:08 am

Bernman wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I recall Hyde making more than one good punt return, too. Did a solid job in the secondary as well.

I'm not remembering Janis make any great kick returns, could have missed something, though.

Sure, throw Hyde into the mix. But I didn't watch all the defensive plays to have enough perspective on whether he played a good game on that front.

Janis had a 33 yard kickoff return to our 44 when the offense was stuck in neutral. Didn't get a score on that drive, but it set up good field position for the d. Janis made the stop at the Giants' 7 on the subsequent punt. We got the ball back on our own 38 and scored in a couple plays. Had another nice kickoff return too. Almost broke that one.

I've kinda given up on Janis being anything more than a 1 trick pony wr but I'm actually OK with that because has has been huge on special teams.

Also agree rip had a big day. On that last td drive he also had a beautiful block that opened a hole to spring free the RB for a big gain.
#FreeChuckDiesel
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#485 » by chuckleslove » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:11 am

HKPackFan wrote:
Bernman wrote:

I've kinda given up on Janis being anything more than a 1 trick pony wr but I'm actually OK with that because has has been huge on special teams.

Also agree rip had a big day. On that last td drive he also had a beautiful block that opened a hole to spring free the RB for a big gain.

He could be the Jarrett Bush of 2016. Bush had some huge plays on special teams and then on defense due to injuries in the 2010 Owl run.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Bernman
RealGM

Post#486 » by Bernman » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:11 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:What was difference between the inept O early on and the masterful O we saw later?

It wasn't the playcalling by MM. He was making a lot of mistakes. I hated how multiple times he called for a pass on 1st, then got nothing, but still went run on 2nd. Slim chance we pick up the first so limited it to one down where he had a chance. And there were the short yardage calls. Woof.

I think they came out cold, a bad start hurt their confidence, then they eventually got warmed up (literally) and gained confidence after that drive where they scored in like 2 plays, after receiving good field position from special teams and somewhat their d. That was a jump start. Also, I think guys realized they didn't want to have done all that work on the winning streak for little reward, so they better show some urgency.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#487 » by Bernman » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:14 am

HKPackFan wrote:I've kinda given up on Janis being anything more than a 1 trick pony wr but I'm actually OK with that because has has been huge on special teams.

The one time we tried to feature him as a wr, he did have a big day, in a big game. At least offensively, if Nelson is going to be out for the season, he gives us another deep route option to spread the field. Between that and his special teams' play, he's got a niche on this team.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#488 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:23 am

Bernman wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:What was difference between the inept O early on and the masterful O we saw later?

It wasn't the playcalling by MM. He was making a lot of mistakes. I hated how multiple times he called for a pass on 1st, then got nothing, but still went run on 2nd. Slim chance we pick up the first so limited it to one down where he had a chance. And there were the short yardage calls. Woof.

I think they came out cold, a bad start hurt their confidence, then they eventually got warmed up (literally) and gained confidence after that drive where they scored in like 2 plays, after receiving good field position from special teams and somewhat their d. That was a jump start. Also, I think guys realized they didn't want to have done all that work on the winning streak for little reward, so they better show some urgency.

Shouldn't have said "playcalling". Really, I meant different routes/schemes by the receiving corps. All of a sudden guys were finding big soft spots in that zone (and/or beating their man one-on-one).

I think the difference was: Rodgers settling in and gaining confidence, combined with diminishing pressure from NY's d-line. Even a good secondary can't hold back all our weapons if their front isn't getting pressure.

I was begging for more running plays at a point in the 3rd. That was right before the series where we gave Christine like 4 or 5 straight runs and he killed it. I think that helped soften up their D-line and slow down their secondary/make them think twice. Should have gone to him earlier.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#489 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:31 am

The main difference was Rodgers not looking 20 yards down field every play

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#490 » by HKPackFan » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:34 am

RRyder823 wrote:The main difference was Rodgers not looking 20 yards down field every play

Yup he started making quick short throws, that helped open things up IMO. Add Michael turning into the 2010 version of starks and we couldn't be stopped.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,597

Post#491 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:51 am

Aaron Rodgers finally started throwing at the zones that the Giants were vacating on their blitzes. He took hot routes early and let players make plays with the ball in their hands. The 8-9 yard gains stopped the Giants from blitzing. Once they started rushing only 3-4, they got picked apart.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Post#492 » by Profound23 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:18 am

trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Everybody else gets it except for our head coach.

This is what I said. I had no issue with going for it. Please make that statement, but do it with a 31 dive or qb sneak.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#493 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:20 am

Profound23 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is what I said. I had no issue with going for it. Please make that statement, but do it with a 31 dive or qb sneak.

Sorry. But going for it on your own side of the 50 in a 1 score game was stupid and led to their only score of the 2nd half. Play call aside it should've never happened

Thankfully the Packers answered back.

7 down. 3 to go

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#494 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:13 am

RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sorry. But going for it on your own side of the 50 in a 1 score game was stupid and led to their only score of the 2nd half. Play call aside it should've never happened

Thankfully the Packers answered back.

7 down. 3 to go

MM doesn't think this way, I don't think. I guarantee he was thinking more specifically to the situation. Something like: "we just ripped off a bunch of good runs in a row on this drive, their defense is a probably a little tired, they're on their heels, and we have some momentum running the ball etc etc". For right or wrong, that's what he was probably thinking.

I would've punted myself, but I don't think it was an off-the-wall crazy-stupid decision. I DO think the call sucked though. I'd have run the QB keeper with Rodgers running right off the fake handoff action to the left. But whatever.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 945

Post#495 » by Lippo » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:52 am

That was ]when they should have run the bootleg keeper ala Steve Bono.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#496 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:54 am

Lippo wrote:That was ]when they should have run the bootleg keeper ala Steve Bono.

Or a la Rodgers the 2 times he did it this year. But yeah, that's what I was saying.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#497 » by RRyder823 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:55 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
Lippo wrote:That was ]when they should have run the bootleg keeper ala Steve Bono.

Or a la Rodgers the 2 times he did it this year. But yeah, that's what I was saying.

They ran it later in the game. Definitely looks like defenses are sniffing it out

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,965

Post#498 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:41 pm

Profound23 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hell, I would have passed on either 3rd or 4th down there. It's Rodgers. Put the ball in his hands.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#499 » by crkone » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:46 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hell, I would have passed on either 3rd or 4th down there. It's Rodgers. Put the ball in his hands.

Rodgers always has numerous audibles he can call at any point too. He needed to call one there.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#500 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I will agree the risk outweighs the reward, and I'm not gonna argue that, and if we lost this game we'd all be discussing this decision ad nauseum. Yet I was fairly OK with the decision.

First of all I thought we got a crappy spot on the initial play that got the bulk of the yardage but I didn't see a good replay. I think we were about half yard out not a full yard. I wasn't a fan of the 3rd down play, was it the kuhn fb dive? I can't remember now.

I get going for it on 4th,its inches. At home. U have a good oline. You are supposed to be an elite offense. I have an MVP caliber player. U have the lead. U have confidence in your unit and u wanna prove confidence u have in them. U don't wanna play scared. U want to demoralize the opponent. U want to hold onto the ball for a long drive and let the D rest.

I get all of that. I can be convinced it's a gutsy good call. But then you run some horrific play call like that? WTF?! That kind of beef on beef play has never been our strength. EVER. unless we are going back to the Ahman green era and u just strolled out U71. SERIOUSLY WHAT THE **** WAS THAT PLAYCALL?
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers