ImageImage

Aikman Responds to Petition to Ban him from Packer Games

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Aikman Responds to Petition to Ban him from Packer Games 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:00 am

So I guess all you guys who for years have said Aikman hates the Packers, finally have an outlet for your frustration.

http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/troy-aikman-responds-to-packers-fans-petition-to-ban-him-from-calling-packers-games

BROOKFIELD -- It's no secret that many Packers fans believe Troy Aikman and Joe Buck are biased.

In fact on Sunday, one Packers fan from Brookfield created an online petition asking the NFL to keep the duo away from the microphone this Sunday. As of Thursday morning, more than 23,000 people have signed the online petition.

Troy Aikman responded to the petition against him and Fox broadcast partner Joe Buck in an interview Thursday morning on local radio station 96.7 FM/1030 AM.
"There's a long line they've got to get in to try to keep us from calling games," Aikman said during the interview.

RELATED: January 12 Is Officially "Aaron Rodgers Day" In Milwaukee County

AJ Dorff the creater of the petition told TODAY'S TMJ4 that Aikman and Buck "definitely pick their favorites" which makes the games less enjoyable.

Aikman siad he's a bit confused by these claims.

"It is pretty remarkable, though, especially for Packers fans," Aikman told 96.7 FM/1030 AM. "We've had their games in recent weeks and they've played great, we've talked about how great they've been playing and how great Aaron Rodgers has been. So it's a little bit confusing, but it is what it is.I could not care less about that. I know Joe, he does get a little bit bothered by it. He's a little sensitive when he hears that people don't want us to broadcast their games."

Packers fans and Seahawk fans have tried to do this a few years ago, Aikman said.

He apparently catches the same grief from Cowboys fans.

"I don't know if there's Cowboys fan petitions, but I get it from Cowboys fans too, saying that I'm against their team," Aikman said.

Despite the petition, Aikman and Buck both plan to be at the game Sunday.

"Last I've heard, we will be there on Sunday, and we'll be calling the game and we'll try to do the best job we can," Aikman said.

The Packers play the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium on Sunday.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Aikman and Buck. Not a fan, but whatever, they are OK I guess. We've had some stinkers on Prime Time so it could be we are getting criticized a bunch when we are looking like garbage in a primetime setting. But I'm not gonna blame Aikman for that.

Or maybe it's when there's a nocall on PI that shoulda been PI but Aikman takes the side of the refs? Maybe that's the bias people complain about?

I dunno. I don't mind Aikman/Buck, but I hated Gus in the WI/Penn game. That was driving me nuts. So I get it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,417

Re: Aikman Responds to Petition to Ban him from Packer Games 

Post#2 » by th87 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:05 am

This is seriously the dumbest thing ever. I have never seen any indication of overt bias, and most certainly not enough to sign a freaking petition over. Wow.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Post#3 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:08 am

Don't mind Aikman or Buck on Packer games, but Aikman on Cowboy games is unbearable. He really shouldn't do Cowboys games ever.
Do it for Chuck
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#4 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:18 am

The fact that sports radio in this city spent hours on this topic is embarrassing.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#5 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:21 am

All of the mouth-breathing people I know that peddle this idea that there is overt bias can **** right off.

Can anyone point to a single moment of bias? I have a feeling given the people I personally hear this from it's going to be something like a play where Damarious Randall gets away with tackling a receiver and Aikman says "I think that was a penalty."
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#6 » by Jollay » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 am

I don't understand this and never have. The best I can detect is a comment here or there and clearly he was thinking about the Cowboys during our game. But I thought he generally calls it pretty much as he sees it, and pretty much without much bias.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,130

Post#7 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

I obviously don't live in WI anymore, but when I do talk specifically to WI packer fans they do mention the bias. I know a bunch of non-WI packer fans and they never bring it up.

Maybe it's because the WI fans are just sore because Aikman beat us so many times in the 90s? Whereas a lot of the non-WI fans weren't around in the mid 90s, so they don't feel any rivalry or pent up angst against Aikman.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,914

Post#8 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 pm

Stupid hayseeds. Aikman and Buck are fine. I don't always agree with them but they certainly don't "hate" the Packers.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#9 » by vegaspacker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Buck is one of those nepotism hacks... Troy has earned a few stripes, but is still a tiger/cowboy. Aikman i can tolerate, Joe... Dry shadow voice wit little wit....
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#10 » by crkone » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't think there is bias but I can say I'm sick of hearing them. Can't we just get a string of the #2 team for a bit?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Post#11 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:35 pm

If anything, Aikman goes out of his way to appear unbiased when calling games involving the Cowboys and there is certainly no evidence that he "hates" the Packers. What a weird petition.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#12 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:46 pm

crkone wrote:I don't think there is bias but I can say I'm sick of hearing them. Can't we just get a string of the #2 team for a bit?

I forget who is the 2nd team on Fox, and I'm sure they're fine...but the talent pool is shallow. I'm not sure if that reflects on FOX and a couple other networks' shoddy hiring and the lifetime contracts that these guys seem to have...but it gets really bad when you hear a game called by Dick Stockton or Chris Myers.

Buck's voice may annoy and he may be boring, but he's pretty professional. Once you get past the 2nd or 3rd team, the announcers are so, so bad. The further-down announcers are the type of guys calling "and it is a fumble recovered by the defense! There he goes down the sideline!" when some player just randomly decides to pick up a missed/grounded screen pass that is clearly just incomplete.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,914

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:53 pm

CBS' lineup is the worst. Nantz is ok, but Simms is horrible. And the rest of their lineup is very weak.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#14 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't like either of them as human beings. As broadcasters I can stand Aikman a little more than Buck (but I don't think either one is exceptional). I honestly don't think they are biased. Even if they were I think it would be okay with me. Gives me another reason to dislike them and feel like it's us against them when they are broadcasting a game.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#15 » by chuckleslove » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:32 pm

I think they are both professional but slightly on the bland side of things. I always shake my head when people call them biased though, they are hardly that. I can stand Aikman more than Buck who I just don't enjoy at all.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#16 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:16 pm

If anything I always got the feel they were biased covering the pack because they've done it so much. They compliment our team all the time. I have no problem with either guy but the only guy that has ever bother me has been gus Johnson. I'm a visual guy and hardly listen to the announcers.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#17 » by Flames24Rulz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm actually a big fan of Buck & Aikman. What other crew would you take over them in the NFL? Nantz and brain dead/idiot Simms? Maybe Michaels and Collinsworth, but I feel like Collinsworth (especially the last year or so) has kind of morphed into Jon Gruden. The other teams besides Buck & Aikman on FOX aren't very good -- Burkhardt & Lynch are their B team. They're okay, but I still prefer Buck & Aikman over them. The rest of the crews on FOX are pretty bad. Eagle & Fouts on CBS are good, but likewise, they have the same sort of issue over there.

The rap that Buck gets from all sorts of teams' fans is pretty remarkable. He's not an announcing GOAT, but he's really solid, especially this day in age.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#18 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
crkone wrote:I don't think there is bias but I can say I'm sick of hearing them. Can't we just get a string of the #2 team for a bit?

I forget who is the 2nd team on Fox, and I'm sure they're fine...but the talent pool is shallow. I'm not sure if that reflects on FOX and a couple other networks' shoddy hiring and the lifetime contracts that these guys seem to have...but it gets really bad when you hear a game called by Dick Stockton or Chris Myers.

Buck's voice may annoy and he may be boring, but he's pretty professional. Once you get past the 2nd or 3rd team, the announcers are so, so bad. The further-down announcers are the type of guys calling "and it is a fumble recovered by the defense! There he goes down the sideline!" when some player just randomly decides to pick up a missed/grounded screen pass that is clearly just incomplete.

I think their second team might be Burkhardt/Lynch, which also is kind of insufferable. I'll take Buck/Aikman any day over any of the other combos, with the possible exception of Michaels/Collinsworth (Michaels is getting really annoying as he ages and Collinsworth can sometimes be a bit of a caricature of himself).
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#19 » by RRyder823 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:08 pm

This makes Packers fans look bad. Plain n simple. Not in the least suprising though with how dumb people are

There's not an analyst that slobbers over Rodgers nuts like Aikman but yet when I was at the bar on Sunday watching the game and we had 7 yards of total offense half way through the 2nd quarter Aikman says how he's been impressed with the Giants defense has played so far and right on que there's like 10 Packers fans bitching about how anti Packer he is. Good thing they weren't listening to the words comming out of my mouth regarding GB at that point. Like wtf do you want him to say about a team that's getting outplayed?

If we're up 20 against Dallas he'll praise us. If we're down 20 he won't. Shocking
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#20 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:49 pm

All this whining about coastal bias in Wisconsin should not apply to the Packers. The Packers are probably the media's most favored NFL - if not sports in general - franchise over the past 20 years.

Return to Green Bay Packers