GT: Green Bay at Dallas - GO PACK GO

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

GT: Green Bay at Dallas - GO PACK GO 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:57 pm

What: No. 4 Green Bay Packers (11-6) vs. No. 1 Dallas Cowboys (13-3) in NFC divisional playoff game.
When: 3:40 p.m. Sunday.
Where: AT&T Stadium.
Television: Fox.
Radio: AM-620 in Milwaukee, AM-1360 in Green Bay; Packers Radio Network.
Series: Tied, 17-17.
Line: Cowboys by 4 1/2.
Surface: SoftTop Matrix Turf.
Coaches: Green Bay’s Mike McCarthy (123-68-1) vs. Dallas’ Jason Garrett (59-47).
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

TO BLITZ OR NOT BLITZ: RB Ezekiel Elliott, the NFL’s rushing champion, is also asked to pass protect, which can be an issue for a rookie. “A lot of times when you’re blitzing, you’re trying to win on the back,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said before playing Dallas on Dec. 1. “This back doesn’t get beat very much. Better than rookie backs for sure … He’s really one of the better backs I’ve seen in quite a while. He’s really an all-purpose guy that catches the ball very well. He’s quick into the hole. Looks like he has great vision. He’s an impact player on contact. He’s built. He’s physical. He’s a hurdler if you try to cut him. He’s special.”

RUSHING RODGERS: In the Oct. 16 meeting, Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli pressured on just 14.6% of dropbacks. Instead, the Cowboys usually rushed four and had their ordinary collection of defensive linemen run a number of stunts. “They don’t generate a lot of pressure, but with the way (Aaron) Rodgers plays they may match up pretty good,” said one personnel man. “The rush lanes won’t be as obvious for Rodgers to do his thing. You know, jump in and out of the open rush lanes. By not being a great rush team they may cause him more problems. I know that’s counterintuitive but … When you have guys (rushers) that win quickly he sees that so he steps up and adjusts. They really don’t have guys that win quickly but they also will stay in their rush lanes and make it kind of muddy for him.”

FOUR-CORNERS DEFENSE: When the teams met in Week 6, nickel back Orlando Scandrick (hamstrings) was out and LC Morris Claiborne departed after 25 snaps with a concussion. Now they’re healthy and, along with RC Brandon Carr and rookie Anthony Brown, should enable the Cowboys to contest passes. “There’s been some games where the Cowboys haven’t played as well but I think they have enough cover guys to match up,” one scout said. “Normally, I thought Scandrick was a pretty solid nickel corner. I was a little disappointed watching him. I had some questions in coverage about how he was reading and reacting. Brown has been OK, which for a rookie is good. I still have questions on him locating and playing the ball downfield, but he can run and has done a good job in coverage. And (FS Byron) Jones, I like his versatility against one-back teams. He can go down in the slot, he can be an in-the-box defender and he can be a two-deep player.”

TOP DOG: Dallas didn’t have a player on defense voted to the Pro Bowl. Possibly their best defender is WLB Sean Lee. “Very much underrated,” said one scout. “He’s the pulse of that defense. In years past when they weren’t very good defensively, he was injured. He makes a ton of plays. Gets guys lined up. Very intense, great leader. You can put him in the top five (of NFL every-down inside linebackers).” Said another personnel man: “Instinctive but plays small. More of a lateral player. He’s not going to stuff the run but he’ll make a lot of tackles and be in the right places. He is a smart guy.”

ON THE OUTSIDE: WR Dez Bryant, who challenged the Packers’ secondary in the past, missed the first meeting with a knee injury. “He’s a physical presence,” Zimmer said. “When the ball’s in the air, he believes it’s his every time. That’s always a concern. Catches the ball pretty much anywhere. I think the heart and mind of his is really what sets him apart.” In four appearances against Green Bay, Bryant has 24 catches for 286 yards (11.9) and two touchdowns. “Phenomenal player,” one scout said. “He always brings a different dynamic on the field because of how he plays. Big-time playmaker.”

BOB McGINN
The Cowboys are the healthier team, the fresher team and the home team. They also whipped the Packers by 14 points in mid-October. None of the above matters when a team as confident and hot as Green Bay comes to call. Not only will the Packers beat the spread, I expect them to win.

TOM SILVERSTEIN
The absence of Jordy Nelson might not hurt as much as people think, but it’s the defense that’s going to have to come through more than anything. Even when the Packers won in Atlanta in 2010, it was Tramon Williams’ interception that really changed the game. I’m not sure this defense has that kind of play in it. Cowboys 30, Packers 27

MICHAEL COHEN
I don’t think anyone is going to stop Aaron Rodgers from putting up points. He’s playing too well for that. But I also don’t think the Packers can stop the Cowboys from running it successfully with Ezekiel Elliott. The Cowboys dominate the clock and squeak out a win. Cowboys 31, Packers 28

PETE DOUGHERTY
The Packers are playing as well as anybody, and Aaron Rodgers has been the NFL’s best player over the past two months. They have the stuff to pull off the upset. But the guess here is that Ezekiel Elliott will be the difference, as he was when the teams met in October. Cowboys 31, Packers 27

RYAN WOOD
The Cowboys have more talent on their roster, especially with Jordy Nelson’s absence Sunday. But the Packers are the hotter team, playing as well as anyone in the league with seven straight wins. Neither defense will get stops, and the best bet is a two-time MVP quarterback at the top of his game rather than a rookie making his first playoff start. The Packers will need to score 30 points to win — and they will. Packers 34, Cowboys 31
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: GT: Green Bay at Dallas - GO PACK GO 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Since their football renaissance began 25 years ago, the Packers have played 36 playoff games under three coaches. Mike Holmgren finished 9-5 in six appearances, Mike McCarthy is 9-7 in nine and Mike Sherman went 2-4 in four.

In those 36 games, the Packers have been the favorite 21 times (15-6 record), the underdog 14 times (4-10) and pick ‘em once (1-0).

If the Packers, a five-point underdog, were to beat the Cowboys on Sunday, it would rank as their biggest playoff upset in 21 years.

As an underdog, McCarthy’s victories were at Philadelphia (+1½) in 2010 and at Washington (+1½) last year. Sherman was 0-2 as an underdog.

Holmgren’s first playoff victory came at the Silverdome in 1993 as a one-point underdog against the Lions. Two years later, the Packers were a 10½-point underdog at San Francisco when, in arguably the franchise’s greatest victory since the 1967 Ice Bowl, they ambushed the 49ers, 27-17.

The spread Sunday isn’t nearly what it was on that unforgettable afternoon at Candlestick Park. Still, the Packers and their fans know full well the jubilation that a victory over the Cowboys would generate.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#3 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Quick start means everything in this game. Fill the box, bracket coverage with Dez and lets Dak/Witten/Beasly beat you.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#4 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Also need a big game from Martinez. Thomas won't play much because Witten is slow as ****, bad against the run and his back has limited his snaps. Martinez has struggled the last 3 weeks in run fits and he can't miss gaps/tackles today.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#5 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:17 pm

On a nervous scale of 1-10, I'm about a 74.

I thought we were going to lose to the Giants. I think we are going to lose today. Please prove me wrong again.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#6 » by BUCKnation » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Really hope Beasley doesn't kill us like last game.
bcl20
Starter
And1: 166

Post#7 » by bcl20 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm not really nervous. We have a greater chance of losing than winning. I'm excited, though. I want to see where we are now after this long winning streak. To think we are 2 wins from going to the Super Bowl, that's nuts considering where we were not long ago.
Go Packers, Go Bulls, Go Cubs, Go Hawkeyes, Go Blackhawks
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#8 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 pm

I just. Well. I hate the Cowboys. Like I hate the Vikings. So, like, go Pack go!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,885

Post#9 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:56 pm

This doesn't sound like someone who could or should be playing next week either if we manage to pull off a win today.

Read on Twitter
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#10 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm

I just don't want football to end I guess.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#11 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Its a tough matchup. The cowboys will try some football 101 type offensive strategy where they try to get the run going early forcing the pack to bring the safeties up then beat 1 on 1 coverage over the top. Containing elliot with the front 7 will be key on d.

On o the pack need to play ultra aggressive and assume they need to win a shootout. Pack need to go for on 4th downs and maybe even onside kick or fake a punt. They shouldn't be as concerned with short fields because the cowboys will move the ball anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#12 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:11 pm

It's pretty obvious but the biggest key to the Packers winning the game is getting off to good start and playing from the front.With the Cowboys resting guys week 17 and then the bye week last week there might be some rust and an opportunity for the Packers to get off to a hot start and play with the lead which would be huge.

I'm not really worried about the offense,even with Jordy out I think we'll be fine.I think Montgomery will be a huge factor in this game if we win.

That said,in order for the Packers to win this game our defense needs to come up big and not get the ball ran down their throats.If you tell me that the pressure is on this Packers defense and that guys like Clay Matthews and Nick Perry need to come up big in a big game in order for the Packers to win I will politely ask you for a blindfold and cigarette.

Unless the Cowboys come out flat ala the 2011 Packers or Aaron Rodgers has one of the best games of his life I just don't see the Packers winning this one,because of the defense.

Cowboys 31 Packers 20
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#13 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Yeah, I don't see us winning. Cowboys are healthy, they have the talent, they're at home, they've had everything really go their way this year.

I think we'll be competitive but they'll pull away.

38-28 is the score I'm sensing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm excited. Let's go!

RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,948

Post#15 » by RiotPunch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:26 pm

I want to see Dez cry again. Let's get it, fellas!!

Stomp the gas pedal and keep that mother pinned to the floor until the final whistle. Get in a position where Dak has to be the one to beat us and hope we can get some pressure on him. Hope Capers gets real creative with blitzes today.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#16 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:37 pm

I'm really not sure what to expect from this game. One part of me believes in Godgers, another believes they'll blow us out.

I guess we're about to find out.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#17 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Why would you not take the ball first
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#18 » by BigDee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Here we go.....
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#19 » by ACGB » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 pm

If they are going to lose I'd rather a blowout than another heartbreaker.
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#20 » by BigDee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 pm

Hyde!

Return to Green Bay Packers