ImageImageImageImage

Draft Rumors !!!

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Re: Draft Rumors !!! 

Post#161 » by Mr B » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:You guys see any elite DE's and DT's we can keep an eye on for our upcoming draft?

Haven't really paid too much attention to them yet. Well other than Myles Garrett from Texas A&M. He'll be gone within the first 5 picks though. Once bowl season starts I'll start paying closer attention.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,276

Post#162 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:28 pm

I know this is a bit early, but I'm trying to take my mind off today's game for a bit. I'm nervous for some reason and I shouldn't be. So I started to think of the upcoming draft with what I feel are the current upcoming needs that I see. You guys know that the D-line has been my number 1 priority for 7 years now and I truly believe we are all in agreement that's where we need to attack in the upcoming draft. I believe we are a dominate D-line away from being the big dog in the NFL for the next 5 or 6 years.
But where else do we look? I know Sean Lee is a pro Bowler and he is coming back. The development of Justin Durant has been one of the big surprises for me and we are still awaiting Jaylon Smith. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting another LB if the right guy is their. Otis knows me well enough that I have preached many times about how you can never have enough linebackers, lol. But what really hit me, and I know you guys are gonna laugh at me, but if we do draft on the offensive end, I hope it is a tight end. What if we make it to the super bowl and perhaps win it. Does Witten retire as Romo heads out or something else? Or does he announce he comes back for one more year. Either way, I think we seriously need to start looking at TE's. I'm not all all happy from what I saw from Escobar this season. He sure did his part, when given the opportunity to help take points off the board in a few games this year and never made up for it unlike Doug Free.
Food for thought. I loved what I saw from Brice Butler this year. Does he take Williams spot next year and do we let him go? Or do we dangle Dez Bryant and his contract and let Butler take his spot?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#163 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:18 pm

The only problem I have with taking a DL first is that they will be drafting late in the 1st round and by then all of the elite DL prospects are off the board. That's why I think LB should be their first pick. But with that said I have no problem going DL if there is still a stud on the board.

As for Justin Durant, he's actually an older guy. He's played well but he's maxed out his talent. I am pretty excited about Damien Wilson's development though! He's got good size for the OLB position and when I watch him play it looks like the game has started to slow down for him.

I haven't had a chance to really pay attention to the prospects but I am going to watch the Senior Bowl and East/West Game in the next week or so. That's the game where I really first saw Dak.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#164 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Mr B wrote:The only problem I have with taking a DL first is that they will be drafting late in the 1st round and by then all of the elite DL prospects are off the board. That's why I think LB should be their first pick. But with that said I have no problem going DL if there is still a stud on the board.

As for Justin Durant, he's actually an older guy. He's played well but he's maxed out his talent. I am pretty excited about Damien Wilson's development though! He's got good size for the OLB position and when I watch him play it looks like the game has started to slow down for him.

I haven't had a chance to really pay attention to the prospects but I am going to watch the Senior Bowl and East/West Game in the next week or so. That's the game where I really first saw Dak.

I'm sorry. I meant J.J. Wilcox, not Justin Durant. My bad.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#165 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Wilcox has definitely played much better this year. He may be the eventual starter at SS.

I forgot to chime in about TWill. I honestly think they resign him. He's not going to command a lot of money in FA and he's a huge help in the running game because of his blocking. He will make the occasional reception as well. Besides that by resigning him they don't have to spend a pick on a WR. Brice Butler is what he is, a 4th WR at best. He had his opportunity to take over Williams spot and he couldn't do it. I'd be surprised if Butler makes the team next year.

As for TE, they definitely need to start thinking about the future. I think they can find a good TE in the 2nd or 3rd though.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#166 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Definitely Defense and definitely often. I don't reach but we can use help at all three levels of the defense. Clearly need help up front but let's not forget we will probably have to address CB first and foremost. With our cap situation the potential for any significant FA signings this off season is probably non-existent. At least we go into this draft knowing we can trust the people running it... once they get McClay signed and sealed.

I actually think we may be OK at TE with Swaim and Hanna and one more year of Witten. I think Mr. b is right about TWill but may have a little higher opinion about Butler and think he's here again (for the right price). We can never go wrong drafting or signing another O-Lineman - don't ever want to get old there again.

But they have to give Marinelli more to work with.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#167 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Can I finally have the defense I've been screaming about for the past 7 years? Please.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#168 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:01 pm

This definitely looks like the off season to do it.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#169 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Its also quite evident that Sean lee still needs help at the LB position. It sickened me yesterday nobody could cover a damn TE.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#170 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:24 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Its also quite evident that Sean lee still needs help at the LB position. It sickened me yesterday nobody could cover a damn TE.

YouTube Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#171 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:45 am

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Its also quite evident that Sean lee still needs help at the LB position. It sickened me yesterday nobody could cover a damn TE.

Well, we also have Jaylon Smith finally for next year and hopefully that will be huge for us. But I would never disagree about getting another LB as long as we still address the O-line issues along with it.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#172 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Well, we also have Jaylon Smith finally for next year and hopefully that will be huge for us. But I would never disagree about getting another LB as long as we still address the O-line issues along with it.

I have visions of Lee, Cunningham, and Smith wrecking havoc on the league.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#173 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:04 pm

I can't see us going after a top free agent for our D-line with our current salary cap issues. I'd rather hit in the draft anyways.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#174 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:37 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I can't see us going after a top free agent for our D-line with our current salary cap issues. I'd rather hit in the draft anyways.

Completely agree. Gotta go cheap this time around. The draft is the way to do that.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#175 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:37 am

Daniel Jeremiah from NFL Network and just released his first mock and he has the Cowboys drafting Takk McKinley DE from UCLA. You guys need to check out his video. He's the type of player this team needs. I saw someone compare him to Demarcus Ware, freak athlete.

Dream scenario would be to draft this guy in the 1st and for LB Zach Cunningham to fall to us in the 2nd. The defense would be automatically bigger, faster, and more athletic.

Of course this is before the combine so my dream scenario is subject to change.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#176 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 am

CB Jalen Tabor from Florida is another possibility at #28.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Mr B wrote:Daniel Jeremiah from NFL Network and just released his first mock and he has the Cowboys drafting Takk McKinley DE from UCLA. You guys need to check out his video. He's the type of player this team needs. I saw someone compare him to Demarcus Ware, freak athlete.

Dream scenario would be to draft this guy in the 1st and for LB Zach Cunningham to fall to us in the 2nd. The defense would be automatically bigger, faster, and more athletic.

Of course this is before the combine so my dream scenario is subject to change.

Curious... do you follow Jeff Bowers on Twitter? He has quickly become one of my favorite draft experts in the last two years. Does the heavy lifting for Norm Hitzges with his draft coverage and has really good insights. I haven't checked out his YouTube channel yet but will probably start taking a look next month.

He's as credible as the national draft wonks. He also had Dak ranked higher than a lot of the QB's last draft. Kinda the reason I wanted the Cowboys to take him in the 3rd. He's good.

https://twitter.com/sportsnarrative

(BJJ - don't know if Twitter is your gig but if so, check this guy out).
Mr B
RealGM

Post#178 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm

What is his twitter handle?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#179 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:40 am

Why don't we shop offers to top 10 drafting teams for Dez and keep our number 1. 2 first round draft choices along with Jaylon Smith should make a huge difference.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#180 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:47 pm

They're not going to trade Dez. He's still a huge threat on the field. Also I think he has a better year next year. Him and Dak should be able to get a lot better together after working out all off season together.

Return to Dallas Cowboys