ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Washington Mystics Thread: Championship or Bust.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Official Washington Mystics Thread: Championship or Bust. 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Re: Mystics News: Elena Delle Donne could be traded to Mystics 

Post#2 » by AFM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Is she better than Nicholson?
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#3 » by TGW » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:19 pm

what is the mystics?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#4 » by montestewart » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:30 pm

TGW wrote:what is the mystics?

produced by errant second hands
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#5 » by Induveca » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:39 pm

I have no idea why the NBA keeps that league on life support.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Re: RE: Re: Mystics News: Elena Delle Donne could be traded to Mystics 

Post#6 » by Benjammin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Induveca wrote:I have no idea why the NBA keeps that league on life support.

It's very cheap insurance to mollify certain groups.

Sent from my XT1650 using RealGM mobile app
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#7 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Title here we come. :nod:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
AFM
General Manager

Post#8 » by AFM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Are we talking about that new Harry Potter theme park?
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#9 » by Induveca » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Benjammin wrote:

Trevor Booker makes roughly the same amount of money in one season vs ALL of the 144 WNBA players combined.

But point just made, cheap insurance in the grand scheme of things.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#10 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 am

In all fairness, she's really, really, really good. Would make the Mystx fun to watch.
In Rizzo we trust
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#11 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:05 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:In all fairness, she's really, really, really good. Would make the Mystx fun to watch.

Yeah I would be a big fan of the move and would def tune in here and there. EDD is a generational talent in women's bball
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#12 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:In all fairness, she's really, really, really good. Would make the Mystx fun to watch.

Yeah I would be a big fan of the move and would def tune in here and there. EDD is a generational talent in women's bball

If the Mystics get Delle Dona and keep Emma Meesman, they'll be extremely efficient.
Bye bye Beal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#14 » by keynote » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Benjammin wrote:

I've always viewed the WNBA as a cost center: a marketing budget to promote the sport and improve penetration in under-served demos. When Verizon organizes/hosts a gospel choir competition, they're not expecting to turn a profit off of ticket sales. The entire endeavor is an effort to market Verizon to that target community; so hosting an event at a relative loss is the equivalent of spending money on an ad campaign.

Of course, the question is: is there a pipeline of fans who start out watching the WNBA (the marketing effort), and eventually transition to watching the NBA (the revenue-generating product)? I don't know the answer to that -- especially as the league moves out of NBA markets and into women's basketball markers (Connecticut; Tulsa, OK). But, I assume that this pipeline is what justifies running the league at a overall loss.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:09 pm

One problem with the WNBA is that they jack a bunch of shots. There are very few assisted baskets. There are a ton of turnovers. It seems to me only the most masculine women excel in the WNBA. (Politically incorrect but my honest opinion). Most of the best players are from the LGBTQ community. To me that doesn't make it more marketable. It's very similar to watching men's figure skating. Not everyone will watch it.

It is what it is.

I appreciate women's NCAA basketball. I can hardly watch the women's NBA. It is disjointed and lacks flow. The NCAA women's game isn't yet a cult of personality.

In a similar way the NBA is also less intriguing than men's NCAA ball. However, i can see disciplined execution in NBA ball that I don't see in WNBA ball.
Bye bye Beal.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#16 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:40 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

If the Mystics get Delle Dona and keep Emma Meesman, they'll be extremely efficient.

Oh man, they would be like the GS Warriors
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#17 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:09 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:One problem with the WNBA is that they jack a bunch of shots. There are very few assisted baskets. There are a ton of turnovers. It seems to me only the most masculine women excel in the WNBA. (Politically incorrect but my honest opinion). Most of the best players are from the LGBTQ community. To me that doesn't make it more marketable. It's very similar to watching men's figure skating. Not everyone will watch it.

It is what it is.

I appreciate women's NCAA basketball. I can hardly watch the women's NBA. It is disjointed and lacks flow. The NCAA women's game isn't yet a cult of personality.

In a similar way the NBA is also less intriguing than men's NCAA ball. However, i can see disciplined execution in NBA ball that I don't see in WNBA ball.

This is a pretty ugly bundle of statements. And wrong all over its face. Check your boy Draymond Green who states that he studies women's basketball to improve his game since it is played under the rim and with less athleticism but better execution and spacing and smarts. Here he is in Sports Illustrated, though this wasnt the only time he's said it:

He chills out by watching basketball—specifically women’s basketball. “In the NBA there’s always a guy who is only around because he can jump,” Green says. “He doesn’t have a clue about the fundamentals. I learn more from the WNBA. They know how to dribble, how to pivot, how to use the shot fake.”

And I guess if you're intimidated by a girl who can ball better than you, well okay maybe you could think the stars are ugly. As if that has merit in watching sports. (Shxt, are you looking at the wizards and thinking yeah Brad can shoot pretty nice, but why's his profile look like a wooden indian?).

It's also dead wrong. Check out the battle between Maya Moore and Candace Parker in last years Finals. These women can kill it.

Hyper skilled. Fierce competitors. But if all you care about is the aesthetics, and that's your only argument for why you can't watch, well you're still flat wrong:

Maya Moore:

Candace Parker:

Me I love a strong beautiful brown girl. Gay or straight, I don't care. Hell. I'd turn lesbian if I thought I had a shot.

Kidding me? Now consider Elena Delle Donne:

But more importantly If they can ball, I'll watch. Hell I wonder if John Wall is straight, he always seems like lifestyle profiles of him, feature him surrounded by his homies, best friends who live with him and all, but never a profile about some chick. But who cares? He can ball, the rest is not my business.

I do I care if the team can play. I don't watch the WNBA because our local team kinda sucks. Therefore the game is ugly. But bring us EDD kicking rebounds out to Meeseman. Yes. I'll watch that. I will look forward to taking my daughter to a game or four. We actually went to a game this year (free ticket) and she enjoyed it just fine.

Oh consider my girl's favorite, Mystics back-up point guard Leilani Mitchell.

Tough, scrappy, skilled. Yeah. That is all. Worth watching. If we get a good team, then suddenly everything looks prettier.
AFM
General Manager

Post#18 » by AFM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:14 am

doc, I watched every US womens olympic game. These girls can ball. For sure.

That being said, quite honestly, mens 9th grade basketball is more exciting.

Check this video out:

The kid is 14. FOURTEEN

Look up Derrick Rose's HS games that were broadcast nationwide on ESPN.

WNBA is full of talented ladies, but IMO will never catch on. Just isn't exciting enough.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#19 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:20 am

One of my favorite players to watch in any sport ever was Diana Taurasi at UConn. And if you saw her compete at the Olympics this year you saw why. She's just smarter than any player on the court, saw the game quicker than you, and tougher than anyone. Fierce competitor. She used to play pick up games with players from the UConn mens team of that era.

That's a fighter. You'd watch that level of competitive fire at any level.
AFM
General Manager

Post#20 » by AFM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:23 am

doclinkin wrote:One of my favorite players to watch in any sport ever was Diana Taurasi at UConn. And if you saw her compete at the Olympics this year you saw why. She's just smarter than any player on the court, saw the game quicker than you, and tougher than anyone. Fierce competitor. She used to play pick up games with players from the UConn mens team of that era.

That's a fighter. You'd watch that level of competitive fire at any level.

Yeah, I was watching her this summer. And Sue Bird. Bird got injured if I remember, but both could shoot the 3 for real.

Real Q: Who would you rather have on the Wizards: Taurasi or Nicholson?

Return to Washington Wizards