What/who were your biggest surprises of the season?

Moderator: bwgood77

bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

What/who were your biggest surprises of the season? 

Post#1 » by bleu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:17 am

Looking back at all the players, teams, and storylines of the 2016 NFL season, what do you feel were the most surprising things?

For me, these were a few. I'll add more later:

Matt Ryan - I thought the Falcons had potential to be good, but I certainly didn't expect Ryan to play even close to the level that he has
Brock Osweiler - Thinking back to before the season, I seriously thought he could be a great NFL QB. Oh how wrong I was!
Da Raiders - I've always liked Carr, but I thought they were at least two or three years from being contenders
Andrew Luck - I wasn't picking the Colts to win the Super Bowl by any means *cough cough* Ernie *cough cough* but man. Luck and the Colts were crazy underwhelming.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Re: What/who were your biggest surprises of the season? 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 am

Panthers (sorry bro), obviously a huge letdown. I didn't think it was realistic for them to repeat 15-1. But, no one saw them finishing with a losing record & not at all contending. Jags with just 3 wins. Too much talent to finish that poorly. Cincinnati was another huge disappointment. That team was stacked last year. Obviously Arizona. I think the emergence of Dak & their success has to be near the top of surprises. Good oline, sure. But Dak, might be biggest surprise (yes, I'm actually throwing some love your way Bjj, Otis & other Cowboy fan boy's lol).
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#3 » by Celtsfan1980 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Panthers have been inconsistent for years.
A mediocre point differential(like the Raiders) generally means you're lucky.
Luck's quarterback rating is about as good as ever. His supporting cast is a disappointment year after year.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#4 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:02 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Panthers (sorry bro), obviously a huge letdown. I didn't think it was realistic for them to repeat 15-1. But, no one saw them finishing with a losing record & not at all contending. Jags with just 3 wins. Too much talent to finish that poorly. Cincinnati was another huge disappointment. That team was stacked last year. Obviously Arizona. I think the emergence of Dak & their success has to be near the top of surprises. Good oline, sure. But Dak, might be biggest surprise (yes, I'm actually throwing some love your way Bjj, Otis & other Cowboy fan boy's lol).

I love you jack ! :cuddle
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#5 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Panthers (sorry bro), obviously a huge letdown. I didn't think it was realistic for them to repeat 15-1. But, no one saw them finishing with a losing record & not at all contending. Jags with just 3 wins. Too much talent to finish that poorly. Cincinnati was another huge disappointment. That team was stacked last year. Obviously Arizona. I think the emergence of Dak & their success has to be near the top of surprises. Good oline, sure. But Dak, might be biggest surprise (yes, I'm actually throwing some love your way Bjj, Otis & other Cowboy fan boy's lol).

You have a keen eye for talent. It serves you well.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:17 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:

What have I done!? :oops:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Love is in the air...

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#8 » by CDior510 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Miami Trip, Odell not showing up for the playoffs, rest of the receiving core not picking up the slack. Tampa Bay and Minnesota I expected/wanted both of them to be in the postseason. I think Jameis and Tampa turn that corner next year, but Minny with Bradford's Silhouette and AP wanting out who knows what there scenario is offensively which is there hugest problem I love there main defensive guys. Rhodes, Barr, and Smith are a legion of boom baby version of Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas III. The top of my list is the absolute failure of now almost 6 seasons of not pairing any talent with Andrew Luck and a o-line that might even rival my Giants for worst in the league.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:39 pm

As far as the negative side of the house, I honestly thought the Jaguars would be reckoned with this season. Instead, they were just bad. Coughlin has a bit of a mess to help clean up. I wouldn't bet against him and Marrone clearing out the chaff.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#10 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:18 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:

Your finally giving America's Team love and being totally objective for a change. :wink:
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by bleu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:20 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I love you jack ! :cuddle

Love is in the air...

Guys, I appreciate the good vibes going around. But Valentines Day is still a few weeks out!
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:23 am

bleu wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:What have I done!? :oops:

Love is in the air...

Guys, I appreciate the good vibes going around. But Valentines Day is still a few weeks out!

Do you need an early valentine card to? :lol:
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bleu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:02 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
bleu wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Love is in the air...

Yeah, I was mostly just feeling left out
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:06 am

bleu wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
bleu wrote:

Yeah, I was mostly just feeling left out

Us NFC guys need to stick together.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:03 pm

On a more serious note, I'm surprised and disappointed to see the Chargers and Raiders losing their teams. Even though I hate the Raiders, to me the NFL won't be the same.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by bleu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:11 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:On a more serious note, I'm surprised and disappointed to see the Chargers and Raiders losing their teams. Even though I hate the Raiders, to me the NFL won't be the same.

I agree about the Chargers, I really thought they would end up staying put when all is said and done. The Raiders, on the other hand, weren't much of a surprise to me.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#17 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 am

Chargers having a bad year and moving to LA. They blew to many early leads...

I did not except the Falcons Defensive to improve so quickly.
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#18 » by RavenMad31 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Carolina taking a dump and Atlanta going to the Super Bowl. Miami grabbing a playoff spot.
Individually, the drop off in play from Cam Newton was quite a surprise.
bsjaffe6
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#19 » by bsjaffe6 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm

the Panthers, Cardinals and Saints all being worse than i figured
the mess with the Rams was also unexpected

the Raiders improving that much also surprising the move not so much, i've lived in Oakland since 2007 and they have been wanting a new stadium since then at least the whole politics of the issue is so tough to sort out
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#20 » by RavenMad31 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 1:45 pm

bsjaffe6 wrote:the Panthers, Cardinals and Saints all being worse than i figured
the mess with the Rams was also unexpected

the Raiders improving that much also surprising the move not so much, i've lived in Oakland since 2007 and they have been wanting a new stadium since then at least the whole politics of the issue is so tough to sort out

I knew I was forgetting something. The Cardinals crappy season was a huge surprise to me.

Return to The General NFL Board