New Users Shouldn't Have To Wait 60 DAYS To...

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Vince604
Junior
And1: 359

New Users Shouldn't Have To Wait 60 DAYS To... 

Post#1 » by Vince604 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:41 pm

New users shouldn't have to wait 60 days to create a new thread. Well that's my feedback so I'm sure most would disagree...
My all-time starting five: Hakeem Olajuwan, Michael Jordan, and three 3nD role players.

I follow the NBA, not just one team.

Vancouver Crows NBA expansion team
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Re: New Users Shouldn't Have To Wait 60 DAYS To... 

Post#2 » by Mind_Odyssey » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:05 pm

I wish I could get started too, but it's done to protect the site. So I'm cool with it!
Vince604
Junior

Post#3 » by Vince604 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:I wish I could get started too, but it's done to protect the site. So I'm cool with it!

Protect the site from what?
My all-time starting five: Hakeem Olajuwan, Michael Jordan, and three 3nD role players.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#4 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:48 pm

Vince604 wrote:
Mind_Odyssey wrote:I wish I could get started too, but it's done to protect the site. So I'm cool with it!

Mainly from new accounts spamming the site with fake threads. We've seen a lot of new accounts create threads on the same day they are made that talk about buying illegal / fake items. It's a protective measure against that, basically. It also allows the user to become more familiar with what types of threads are "allowed." Just my 2c.
Vince604
Junior

Post#5 » by Vince604 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 7:50 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:

Mainly from new accounts spamming the site with fake threads. We've seen a lot of new accounts create threads on the same day they are made that talk about buying illegal / fake items. It's a protective measure against that, basically. It also allows the user to become more familiar with what types of threads are "allowed." Just my 2c.

If that's the reason for a 60 DAY (my echo: 60 DAYS!?!?...) new user's inability to create threads, then I think it's a bad one. When you first create an account the system makes sure that you're not a spammer.

Another thing that I want to point out is that having it for 60 DAYS may deter some people to find other forums to express their opinions more easily.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#6 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 1:31 pm

Vince604 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:

If that's the reason for a 60 DAY (my echo: 60 DAYS!?!?...) new user's inability to create threads, then I think it's a bad one. When you first create an account the system makes sure that you're not a spammer.

Another thing that I want to point out is that having it for 60 DAYS may deter some people to find other forums to express their opinions more easily.

Unfortunately, it's already in place. You still have your ability to post in threads that are already active - I'm not sure why that's a problem.

I can't speak to the bolded as I have no idea on whether or not this is true. However, I doubt the 60 day period is deterring people from posting on this site as, like I already said, y'all still have the ability to post in threads that have already been made.
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst

Post#7 » by Mind_Odyssey » Thu Feb 2, 2017 2:02 pm

I imagine another reason for the rule is to reduce clutter on the general board. Hypotethical example: A massive NBA landscape changing trade happens. Well, I imagine a crap ton of new people wanting to ask / discuss the deal would register a new account. That would flood servers that already have issues with traffic.
Vince604
Junior

Post#8 » by Vince604 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 6:56 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Unfortunately, it's already in place. You still have your ability to post in threads that are already active - I'm not sure why that's a problem.

I can't speak to the bolded as I have no idea on whether or not this is true. However, I doubt the 60 day period is deterring people from posting on this site as, like I already said, y'all still have the ability to post in threads that have already been made.

Well that's why I'm posting in a feedback/suggestion section.

Well to be honest, I created an account because I had a lot of interesting topics that I wanted to express, then to find out that I have to wait 60 DAYS, not one or two weeks, but 60 DAYS is really off-putting.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#9 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 7:33 pm

Vince604 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:

Well to be honest, I created an account because I had a lot of interesting topics that I wanted to express, then to find out that I have to wait 60 DAYS, not one or two weeks, but 60 DAYS is really off-putting.

Ok, well thank you for voicing your concern.
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst

Post#10 » by Mind_Odyssey » Fri Feb 3, 2017 4:12 am

Do you guys have a introduction thread?

I look forward to being a rare active Cavs fan on here :lol:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,593

Post#11 » by Dirk » Fri Feb 3, 2017 1:59 pm

While I agree that 60 days seems like a long time before being able to open a topic, the new users can still post freely on the GB, so it's not that big of a limitation. The biggest value of waiting is simply getting a better feel for the General Board. Maybe in the future the waiting time is reduced. Then again, if users have interesting topics to create, you'd expect them to also have interesting posts to make. Being prevented from creating a topic, doesn't prevent you from posting and contributing to the forum.

New users can also explore other boards like the Trades and Transactions and Player Comparisons board where they can open threads.
60/21/10
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#12 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Ok, well thank you for voicing your concern.

Mind_Odyssey wrote:I imagine another reason for the rule is to reduce clutter on the general board. Hypotethical example: A massive NBA landscape changing trade happens. Well, I imagine a crap ton of new people wanting to ask / discuss the deal would register a new account. That would flood servers that already have issues with traffic.

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Do you guys have a introduction thread?

I look forward to being a rare active Cavs fan on here :lol:

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:While I agree that 60 days seems like a long time before being able to open a topic, the new users can still post freely on the GB, so it's not that big of a limitation. The biggest value of waiting is simply getting a better feel for the General Board. Maybe in the future the waiting time is reduced. Then again, if users have interesting topics to create, you'd expect them to also have interesting posts to make. Being prevented from creating a topic, doesn't prevent you from posting and contributing to the forum.

New users can also explore other boards like the Trades and Transactions and Player Comparisons board where they can open threads.

I think another reason may be because the general board is a little tougher forum and has stricter rules than other forums. This has changed to some extent in the past couple of weeks (see Mass Dispatch), but it could be also to protect new posters from themselves as they get a feel for how things are moderated.

Mind Odyssey, we don't have an intro thread on the GB, but that's not a bad idea. Many team forums have them, but it might be good for the GB as well.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#13 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Vince604 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Vince604 wrote:

Nonsense. You don't have to start new threads to express your opinion. There are thousands of threads one can post in. The reason for this rule is twofold. First it helps control spammers (and no the system cannot make sure someone is not a spammer when they open the account, you don't know someone is a spammer until after they start spamming). Secondly is that many ballboys sign up and go crazy starting new threads because they think what they have to say is so important they couldn't possibly put it in an existing thread, they want to, they NEED to, start new threads all over the place. Don't say this doesn't/couldn't happen. It's because it DID happen over and over that this rule was put in place. 99.9% of new members are fine with this and take time to assimilate into this great board. If someone can't exist here for 2 months by merely posting in existing threads then maybe this site isn't for them.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Post#14 » by Howard Mass » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:35 am

It is possible we will look at a reduction to 30 days.

This is only for The General NBA Board though.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions