ImageImage

How Bad a Loss Was It? (GB comparison)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,166

How Bad a Loss Was It? (GB comparison) 

Post#1 » by raysbookclub » Mon Feb 6, 2017 2:35 pm

To help us keep processing our own GB playoff heartbreaks, wondering about this. If you could measure how bad and franchise-impacting these losses were, on a scale of 1-10, how would you rate:

--Atlanta's loss yesterday
--GB's loss to Seattle two years ago in the NFC Championship
--4th and 26
--GB's SB loss to Denver
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,166

Re: How Bad a Loss Was It? (GB comparison) 

Post#2 » by raysbookclub » Mon Feb 6, 2017 2:37 pm

I'd say
--Atlanta's loss yesterday (9, maybe 10)
--GB's loss to Seattle two years ago in the NFC Championship (8)
--4th and 26 (7)
--GB's SB loss to Denver (8)
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,943

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Feb 6, 2017 2:39 pm

ATL Loss: 10
GB vs Seattle: 8
4th and 26: 7
GB vs Den: 8

Nothing Packer fans have been through is close to being up 25 in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl and losing.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#4 » by Mags FTW » Mon Feb 6, 2017 3:01 pm

We were up 9 about 4 minutes into the second half against SEA. ATL was up by 25 at about that same time. There's no comparison.
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#5 » by DigitalFool » Mon Feb 6, 2017 3:34 pm

I think last nights game trumps the GB/SEA game - I felt that when teams were behind, they would use the SEA/GB game as the reference point of a comeback but now ATL/NE should supplant that. Although, it wasn't a boondoggle of an onside kick, we'll always have that one to swallow.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#6 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 3:35 pm

Biggest choke job in NFL history. Nothing compares. Nothing compares. To it.
Do it for Chuck
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,159
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#7 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Feb 6, 2017 4:06 pm

I actually commented during the game that there was a bit of a feeling of Super Bowl 45 (but we held on). We got up 21-3 in the 2nd quarter in a game involving a huge defensive score just like Atlanta did and I got this (Collins' was the 2nd score, not the 3rd), "oh ****, we're in for a wild ride trying to hold on to this" feeling.

The difference was that the Steelers made a push back gradually in the 2nd and 3rd quarter and when we gave it back near the end, we held on. Had we lost it would have been not nearly as bad, but the "big lead and hold on" feeling was there in the 2nd quarter for both.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,546

Post#8 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Feb 6, 2017 4:12 pm

This might be the biggest choke job in a championship game in the history of sports. No comparison whatsoever to the GB/SEA game. And it's why the "run the clock out" conservative game plan still isn't as dumb as fans love to think it is. Kyle Shanahan and Dan Quinn are getting absolutely crucified, and rightfully so, for their 4th quarter play-calling.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#9 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 4:21 pm

How is this a question? Last night is easily the worst and should serve as a case study for the "allways keep your foot on the gas" crowd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,212

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Feb 6, 2017 7:09 pm

Except when up by 8 with 4:40 left and the ball at the NE 23. THAT's when they should have run 3 times, taken time off the clock and kicked the field goal. Or get a first down. Instead they run, pass (sack), pass (penalty), pass (incomplete) and punt.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,509

Post#11 » by th87 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 8:48 pm

RRyder823 wrote:How is this a question? Last night is easily the worst and should serve as a case study for the "allways keep your foot on the gas" crowd

It's really funny when people advocate for free agents, the opposition strawmans it like, "well look at Dan Snyder".

And it's the same in this case. Proponents of aggressiveness aren't arguing that you pass on every down - there is a time and place for it. Atlanta was aggressive at the wrong time.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#12 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Feb 6, 2017 10:49 pm

Hard to imagine anything worse than what we saw yesterday. Closest was Seattle's interception on the goal line against NE.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Re: RE: Re: How Bad a Loss Was It? (GB comparison) 

Post#13 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 11:27 pm

th87 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:How is this a question? Last night is easily the worst and should serve as a case study for the "allways keep your foot on the gas" crowd

It's really funny when people advocate for free agents, the opposition strawmans it like, "well look at Dan Snyder".

And it's the same in this case. Proponents of aggressiveness aren't arguing that you pass on every down - there is a time and place for it. Atlanta was aggressive at the wrong time.

U mean like being aggressive in the exact same situations that people complain about MM being too conservative in?

th87
General Manager

Post#14 » by th87 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 1:04 am

RRyder823 wrote:
th87 wrote:

U mean like being aggressive in the exact same situations that people complain about MM being too conservative in?

Settling for a 56 yard FG is too conservative. Settling for a 40 yarder is not.
th87
General Manager

Post#15 » by th87 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 1:07 am

And how bad a loss was it? Let's put it this way - I feel worse about yesterday than I did about us against Atlanta. I couldn't imagine what actual Falcon fans are going through.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#16 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:07 am

th87 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
th87 wrote:

Settling for a 56 yard FG is too conservative. Settling for a 40 yarder is not.

Kicking a 56 yard FG there was pretty risky. A punt would have been conservative.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,487

Post#17 » by Profound23 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:49 am

Nothing compares for a number of reasons....one of them being the Falcons don't have a Superbowl trophy.

Even when we lose we can say we all at least witnessed our team win at least one title.

How crazy is it that within a year we saw the biggest collapse in NBA and NFL history?
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,217

Post#18 » by HKPackFan » Tue Feb 7, 2017 4:22 am

Profound23 wrote:Nothing compares for a number of reasons....one of them being the Falcons don't have a Superbowl trophy.

Even when we lose we can say we all at least witnessed our team win at least one title.

How crazy is it that within a year we saw the biggest collapse in NBA and NFL history?

Agreed it's much much worse.

#1) It's a title game, not the game to get into the title game.
#2) Up 25pts, it's almost impossible to lose that much ahead. Gosh they started the second quarter saying no team has ever come back from more than 10pts, that's 50 years of SuperBowl history. It's supposed to be 2 titans, the best of each conference, an evenly matched affair of two very good quality opponents battling each other. If you have 2 quality opponents battling, and 1 gets a 25pt lead, it should be pretty much impossible for the other opponent to come back. Add to the fact the #1 offense and the MVP of the season made stupid mistakes and gaffs that lost it for them. The best offense in the NFL sat on it's hands for most of the game, especially in the 2nd half after scoring only 21pts. The strength of their team failed them!
#3) 1998 season was their first Superbowl and they lost, THEY WAITED 18 years for their 2nd shot at a title, up 25pts, and they pissed it away. Now they are looking at an empty trophy case.

It took me until 2010 to get over the 1997 Season Superbowl loss. 13 years!!!! I never really got over that loss, when the game would come on I had to change the channel, or if people talked about it, I would get really uncomfortable and want to change the topic. It just accumulated with the 98 Jerry Rice fumble game, the 4th and 26th, the Michael Vick game in the early 2000s. The 5 INT game against the rams, the Favre INT against the Giants in 07. They all piled on, BUT I ALWAYS had '96 to fall back on. And in 2010 all the demons were lifted. 2010 erased more than a decade of miserable playoff losses, couple of them extreme heart breakers (97,03,07).

I truly can't imagine how gutted and awful it would be as an Atlanta fan. To have it almost wrapped in a bow, and then to lose it all and be staring at an empty trophy case never knowing when you will finally get it. Ugh that is as bad as it gets. There is nothing worse than what Atlanta experienced. Absolutely nothing worse.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers