Post#1481 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Feb 9, 2017 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: 2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC 

Post#1482 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Feb 9, 2017 10:45 pm

Ann Killion:

Just had extra time with Lynch. He says one of the things he asked Jed was about 49er legends not being welcome. Is already reaching out.

Much of the herd will rejoice but I almost couldn't care any less about this outside of the benefits of them making more money. This call over and over again makes me want to pluck all my remaining hair out because most do it for stupid reasons IMO.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1483 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Feb 9, 2017 10:54 pm

Eric Reid on the big 49ers’ introductions: “I’ve had a chance to talk to both Mr. Lynch and Mr. Shanahan and it’s a different feeling”

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/09/eric-reid-on-the-big-49ers-introductions-ive-had-a-chance-to-talk-to-both-mr-lynch-and-mr-shanahan-and-its-a-different-feeling/
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#1484 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Feb 9, 2017 10:58 pm

So they haven't said anything to Reid about the D scheme either.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#1485 » by Jikkle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:20 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Lynch confirms they've hired Martin Mayhew as senior personnel executive. As I've said before....blehhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

However, that is a very broad title, so any common, every day, RUN OF THE MILL FAN (so basically everybody on here) should probably wait to see what his job includes before they go spewing too much junk.

Tom Pelissero:

49ers front office looking awfully top-heavy. Wouldn't be surprised if Mayhew replaces Tom Gamble as assistant GM after the draft.

Unless Gamble chooses to do something else on his own, or just can't plain get along with the new structure, I can't think of one reason why one would give up Gamble for Mayhew IF you're going to tell me Mayhew will be doing anything close to what Gamble has done the past several years, which is the caveat that's allowing me to go back on what I said earlier about refraining from speaking.

Granted I do think this is just one outside person speculating at this point.

Gamble from what I understand is well liked and respected in the 9ers front office so I don't think he goes unless he wants go.

The front office is top heavy because the GM doesn't have any actual front office experience and it'll probably be top heavy for a couple of seasons until Lynch is at a point where he's got the job down.

My guess is Peters will be Lynch's right hand man and him and Gamble will be the driving forces behind the draft and pro personnel with Mayhew being more of the guy that's going to train Lynch and advise him on the actual role of being a GM.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#1486 » by Jikkle » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:24 am

ChrisPozz wrote:Mindi Bach:

Kyle Shanahan told me he had Tom Rathman's cleats in his "high school bedroom". It's important that he keeps him here as a coach. #49ers

Part of me thinks that even if they can entice him back for this year, he could be out shortly thereafter for a better, more traditional gig elsewhere.

Could I be wrong? Easily. It's possible they come up with something creative that really excites him. But a lot of people think highly of him and he'll be in demand for something like what he had the past several years here or more. He probably isn't getting that in SF IMO.

Turner is 67 and will be 68 before the season starts so I can see them giving Rathman a fancy sounding offensive assistant type of title for now and sliding him back into the RB coach role in a couple of years after Turner retires.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#1487 » by RedneckNiner » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:38 am

Kyle will be calling plays at least this year he said... Make Rathman Offensive Coordinator let him learn it up see if he can do the role then next year slide him into the play calling side I think Rathman really could grow into that role.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1488 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:44 am

Jikkle wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Mindi Bach:

Kyle Shanahan told me he had Tom Rathman's cleats in his "high school bedroom". It's important that he keeps him here as a coach. #49ers

Part of me thinks that even if they can entice him back for this year, he could be out shortly thereafter for a better, more traditional gig elsewhere.

Could I be wrong? Easily. It's possible they come up with something creative that really excites him. But a lot of people think highly of him and he'll be in demand for something like what he had the past several years here or more. He probably isn't getting that in SF IMO.

Turner is 67 and will be 68 before the season starts so I can see them giving Rathman a fancy sounding offensive assistant type of title for now and sliding him back into the RB coach role in a couple of years after Turner retires.

And I'm saying I believe Rathman could get a better set up for himself elsewhere before that day comes for Turner.

Unless Rathman has been promised by Shanahan/Turner themselves that he's/I'm definitely out in X time and you're definitely the guy for X position so just wait it out.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1489 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:59 am

If there was ever any doubt, and there shouldn't have been, Louis Riddick said tonight on SportsCenter that he was basically a package deal with Josh McDaniels. If McDaniels wasn't going to be the HC, then Riddick wasn't going to get/take that job.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#1490 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:02 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
Read on Twitter

They might have actually made it a point to be present for the presser and came from elsewhere, but all of those guys were placed on IR and were probably at the facility for rehab.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#1491 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:03 am

ChrisPozz wrote:Ann Killion:

Just had extra time with Lynch. He says one of the things he asked Jed was about 49er legends not being welcome. Is already reaching out.

Much of the herd will rejoice but I almost couldn't care any less about this outside of the benefits of them making more money. This call over and over again makes me want to pluck all my remaining hair out because most do it for stupid reasons IMO.

In the wake of the Charles Oakley/ New York Knicks drama, I don't see how this could be a bad thing.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#1492 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:05 am

ChrisPozz wrote:If there was ever any doubt, and there shouldn't have been, Louis Riddick said tonight on SportsCenter that he was basically a package deal with Josh McDaniels. If McDaniels wasn't going to be the HC, then Riddick wasn't going to get/take that job.

I wasn't as bullish on Riddick, but I still preferred McD over Shanahan.

Oh well, whats done is done. It turned out better than it could have been.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1493 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:07 am

thesack12 wrote:

In the wake of the Charles Oakley/ New York Knicks drama, I don't see how this could be a bad thing.

I'm only saying fans ALWAYS and FOREVER will overrate all former players ability to do the organization good by being around the team whether it's as a fan themselves or as a coach. Wasn't arguing it's definitely a horrible thing.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#1494 » by thesack12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:21 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I'm only saying fans ALWAYS and FOREVER will overrate all former players ability to do the organization good by being around the team whether it's as a fan themselves or as a coach. Wasn't arguing it's definitely a horrible thing.

I don't live anywhere near the west coast, so I am unaware on just who shows up around the facility and with what frequency. But, I can envision some instances where it can be beneficial. But of course its a case by case, individual by individual basis.

That said, this organization is in dire need of some positive PR. Bringing in some beloved former players, even if its merely as a token appearance, can be beneficial.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1495 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:16 pm

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1496 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:41 pm

We're interviewing for DC position yet we haven't "cleared" that opening just yet?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1497 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1498 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:23 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:We're interviewing for DC position yet we haven't "cleared" that opening just yet?

Every hold over coach was free to find a new gig. O'Neal hasn't found one yet. Some of them were asked to stay like Tarver and someone else that I can't remember.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1499 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Interesting thing to me is when Saleh was on staff with Texans our new dline coach Zgonina was listed as a NT. So it's possible we will still employ that front some. Of course the Bradley 4-3 Under is similar as well. Saleh has been Bradley's right hand man.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#1500 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Now that I thought about it, I'm inclined to want nothing do with with ATL defensive coaches ATM.... lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.

Return to San Francisco 49ers