Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Luka Doncic 

Post#1 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:33 am

New thread.

Keep the bickering out the conversation. No name calling. Any and all unnecessary back and forth will be flagged. Take it to the PM's if you want to argue with someone, keep it out of the thread. Convo will be about Doncic. Not about teammates, college vs euro or any other nonsense that got the last thread shutdown.

Been keeping it at bay for a minute but the itch to suspend is getting stronger. So lets stay on our base behavior gents.

Now lets talk Doncic.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Re: Luka Doncic 

Post#2 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:54 am

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,230

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:24 am

He had a pretty bad game in the ACB few days ago, but its nice to see him getting some shots off.

I think some people here who are not high on him would have a slightly better opinion of him, if Doncic was actually playing in these U18 games, and there was footage of him flat out dominating and putting big scoring numbers. But all we have is Real Madrid footage, where he gets like 4 shot attempts, so of course he doesn't look as impressive, especially for people who don't really follow euro ball.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#5 » by XTraderXL » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:52 am

He had a bad first half in the last game, second half was ok. If any other player his age had a half like this, we would be saying he played good. He had a PIR of 9 (-5 in the 1st half) so that was not bad at all. His shots were not falling, he usually hits those open threes. But I agree, first half was terrible for him, probably his worst this year. Anyway, when he has that kind of game he usually bounces back with a good performance so I fully expect him to be one of the best players in this weeks Copa del Rey and if he gets around 25 minutes per game, he could be the MVP of the tournament.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#6 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:He had a pretty bad game in the ACB few days ago, but its nice to see him getting some shots off.

I think some people here who are not high on him would have a slightly better opinion of him, if Doncic was actually playing in these U18 games, and there was footage of him flat out dominating and putting big scoring numbers. But all we have is Real Madrid footage, where he gets like 4 shot attempts, so of course he doesn't look as impressive, especially for people who don't really follow euro ball.

He played this U18 games, won the tournament and was named MVP of the tournament, but this was 2 years ago, when he was only 15-16 years old. ;)

http://www.euroleaguebasketball.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=005929&seasoncode=JT14#!JT14_QRC

The mistake some people are making looking at him is, they're seeing him only as prospect, but he is beyond this already. He's Euroleague star at this moment. Many prospects we are looking at this moment will never play at his level. Saying that, we can't expect he will have great game every week, he's playing for Real Madrid and there are 15 good players who want their shots and playing time. It's natural his playing time and number of shots are lower than will be in any other smaller team. Don't forget he is only that young player who gets some playing time in Euroleague. Only other with good playing time is Zizic and he's 2 years older. And we have to understand he will have around 36 games in Euroleague, around 34 in ACB league + Coppa del Rey, Supercoppa... near 80 games in one season. This looks a bit heavy for 17 years old kid, and coach Laso knows that too. Where is his ceiling? I don't know, but being only 17 means, his body will improve, his skills will improve, he will be more experienced...And don't forget one important thing, the most difficult thing for any sportsman is a step from playing with kids to playing with adults. Many players are great playing U18 competitions and then disappear, not the same ballgame. Luka has already passed this with an A.
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#7 » by BillyKingGM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:09 pm

Okay let's kick this off, I've been really thinking about this lately...

Where would you take Luke Doncic if he were to somehow declare for the 2017 NBA Draft?

I'm really struggling where I would rank him relative to DSJ, my order right now would be:

Fultz
JJ
DSJ/Doncic
Isaac
Ball
Tatum

Where would you guys rank Doncic? I think Doncic's floor is a lot higher than DSJ, but do you draft for floor in the top 3?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#8 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:35 pm

I will pass ranking, because I don't want to cause unnecessary tension in this thread.;) But my 5 cents on drafting Doncic is,
Playing for Real Madrid for another 1.5 years will make him much better and stronger. Whoever will draft him, will get a player with exceptionally high floor, risk free player and possibility of getting a great player. It looks as great Draft pick for me.
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 857

Post#9 » by peja_the_legend » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:04 pm

i'm glad a new topic was opened just in time to discuss his awful performance against Malaga where he was exposed big time.Couldnt create anything off the dribble,his shot was way off and on defence he got torched by ex Warriors towel waver Nedovic.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#10 » by XTraderXL » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:10 pm

peja_the_legend wrote:i'm glad a new topic was opened just in time to discuss his awful performance against Malaga where he was exposed big time.Couldnt create anything off the dribble,his shot was way off and on defence he got torched by ex Warriors towel waver Nedovic.

He played against far better players than Nedovic and dominated them. He had a bad game, thats all. Where were you when he was dominating the Euroleague competition week after week for the last 2 months? He has 1 bad game for every 10 good ones and you are saying he got exposed. I guess Curry exposed yesterday against Denver as well. He had an even worse game than Doncic... Svašta pička rodi, samo para neče)))
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#11 » by reanimator » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Fultz
Ball
JJ
DSJ
Ntilikina
Isaac
Doncic
Bob8
General Manager

Post#12 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:03 pm

reanimator wrote:Fultz
Ball
JJ
DSJ
Ntilikina
Isaac
Doncic

And we're back to Ntilikina who can't even play in French league and who will never be even near the level Doncic already is.;)

Every time the same guys provoking with nothing to offer for the debate. I'm sure moderator will blame as all in the end. But I guess someone has to quit first, normally that is the smartest. So, by. ;)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#13 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Ball
JJ
DSJ
Ntilikina
Isaac
Doncic

And we're back to Ntilikina who can't even play in French league and who will never be even near the level Doncic already is.;)

Every time the same guys provoking with nothing to offer for the debate. I'm sure moderator will blame as all in the end. But I guess someone has to quit first, normally that is the smartest. So, by. ;)

Seriously couldn't make it out of the first page without baiting? It's an opinion, if yours is different then it's different only person provoking with any comment is you in this case.

Strike one
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bob8
General Manager

Post#14 » by Bob8 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Marcus wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Ball
JJ
DSJ
Ntilikina
Isaac
Doncic

Seriously couldn't make it out of the first page without baiting? It's an opinion, if yours is different then it's different only person provoking with any comment is you in this case.

Strike one

I tried with analysis, videos, stats... But I have found out this are not important things for debate on this thread. Don't worry about me. I don't need this. I'm out for good.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#15 » by reanimator » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I hope to see Doncic flashing a pull up, a lil more creativity as a ball handler and some explosion around the rim so I can move him up my board. Think his spatial awareness is Lonzo Ball/Dangelo Russell/Ben Simmons like and flashes of a post game are very encouraging.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,230

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:33 pm

BillyKingGM wrote:Okay let's kick this off, I've been really thinking about this lately...

Where would you take Luke Doncic if he were to somehow declare for the 2017 NBA Draft?

I'm really struggling where I would rank him relative to DSJ, my order right now would be:

Fultz
JJ
DSJ/Doncic
Isaac
Ball
Tatum

Where would you guys rank Doncic? I think Doncic's floor is a lot higher than DSJ, but do you draft for floor in the top 3?

I am not really familiar with NCAA prospects to make a concrete statement, but I probably wouldn't touch him with a top 4 pick. Both his defense and scoring are suspect right now.

And I can totally see why one would prefer Ntilikina over Doncic. Sure, Doncic is far better and more accomplished player in Europe, but its completely irrelevant to NBA people. NBA drafts for potential and for translatable skills at NBA level. I mean Jimmer Freddette was also a much better college player than someone like Paul George. Doesnt mean jack in the NBA.
kayath
Sophomore
And1: 202

Post#17 » by kayath » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:26 pm

I think that doncic is way more an upside talent while he will get just stronger physically and with his bbiq he will dominate. While overall bbiq in Nba is just below average. And bigger floor will just amplify that while he is extremely unselfish and expoits every weakness oponent team has. So in my book he is Top 3 in 2017 draft.
cloudXXI
Junior
And1: 151

Post#18 » by cloudXXI » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm

BillyKingGM wrote:Okay let's kick this off, I've been really thinking about this lately...

Fultz
JJ
DSJ/Doncic
Isaac
Ball
Tatum

I think there are very few people that have watched enough games of each player. Also, they played against different competition. Very hard to tell. Wathing highlights is useless for the discussion.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#19 » by jrob23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Fultz
JJ
DSJ/Doncic
Isaac
Ball
Tatum

Hmmm...I think somewhere in the mid teens. Def after the 4 PGs, Ntilikina, Tatum, Jackson, Leaf, Isaac, Ferguson, Bridges...and then he'd be among the next group of guys like Monk, Giles, Kurucs, Anunoby, Rabb, and Adebayo.

He might be drafted higher next draft if grows another couple of inches. Actually much higher, maybe top 5. Without that he'll struggle to warrant a top 10 selection. Of course that doesn't mean someone won't overdraft him.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#20 » by jrob23 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Ball
JJ
DSJ
Ntilikina
Isaac
Doncic

that's a little harsh. people asked for where they'd rank him. Why can't people have a different opinion than yours? keep it light. We're all speculating here based on scant information. If he was on TV ever other week for us to see against college players maybe we'd have a different opinion. imo when it comes to prospects I rate them on measureables, athleticism, skill, position, BBIQ. Where guys play and against which opponents is def a factor but if you have all the above you can play anywhere. Doncic is a damn good prospect, but to me, he's not in Ntilikina's league. You are entitled to believe the opposite without having people question your sanity, intelligence, or insult you.

Return to NBA Draft