Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#41 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 am

This is an older video from last summer. But I know many on here caught on to Zion late last year when he really started to go viral on youtube. Here is a quick highlight from him last summer when he was in AAU and the NBPA Top 100 camp. Im just posting this cause I know a lot of people haven't really seen him go against guys his level and size. In this video you get a better feel for his game against better competition. You get to see his great touch around the rim(feathery touch). He was the MVP of the Top 100 camp and basically dominated everywhere he went last year.

A scary thing about him is that he has gotten in better shape and he continues to just get more and more athletic.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#42 » by B-Ball Freak » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 am

Shawn Kemp...with handles?
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#43 » by crazy_me_87 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:The over-hyping is out of control here. Zion has a chance to be a special player, but if you want to use the word "LeBron" in your comparison of him, stop yourself. Because it just makes you sound like someone who doesn't remember LeBron very well, because he was on a whole different level from Zion in pretty much every way. Taller, more athletic, more skilled, better passer, better body...

Comparing him to LeBron isn't fair to Zion and will just make you look dumb when someone pulls this thread up 5 years from now.

I think people are bringing up Lebron in a sense of they haven't seen a mix of this size and athleticism since Lebron. If that's what they're doing then I think it's appropriate. I follow high school basketball (it's sad I know) and I have not seen someone as big and athletic as Zion since Lebron. Is he as skilled as Lebron? No of course not. Lebron was taller and faster and had better ball skills. Zion is much thicker than a high school Lebron and I might actually give Zion the edge in vertical explosiveness. He's 6'6 and gets his eyes above the rim with ease. Zion is also very quick and fast for someone his size, not Lebron status but still freakish.

Again if the people bringing up Lebron are doing it by saying we haven't seen a combo of size and athleticism since Lebron I think that's fair and on point. If they start saying he's as skilled as Lebron than ya they definitely start losing their credibility on the subject.

Good Summary.. i doubt anybody really compares Zion to Lebron as overall Players or even talents at age 16. Still from a "Athletism and Strenght for his size" perspective he is very close to Lebron and in terms of strenght even far ahead of 16yo Lebron. Lebron was 230 when he was 19.. Zion is 230 at 16. If he stays ripped and in great shape(he is suprisingly lean.. anybody who thinks he is chubby check out his instagram..)and continues to grow he will be ahead of Lebron in terms of Strenght/Speed ratio once he enters the NBA.

Also i have seen him throw some Lebron esque passes..Hold on i dont thing he ever will be on Lebrons Level passing but he has flair in his passes and is a willing passer to. Not the 7-9apg guy Lebron is... more like 4-5apg at his peak.

His shot is not broken and with proper traing can be at least decent enough(same discussion as with Ben Simmons..)

We also dont have to be so fixed on Lebron comps here.. allthough Zion said multuple times his idol is cleary Lebron.

A Prime Larry Johnson(Have we ever seen his actual Prime? he started to get injured very soon into his career)
A ripped not chubby taller Charles Barkley
A SF/PF version of Shaq(dunks on anybody.. doesnt need a Jumper..)

are all comps i can think of.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:The over-hyping is out of control here. Zion has a chance to be a special player, but if you want to use the word "LeBron" in your comparison of him, stop yourself. Because it just makes you sound like someone who doesn't remember LeBron very well, because he was on a whole different level from Zion in pretty much every way. Taller, more athletic, more skilled, better passer, better body...

Comparing him to LeBron isn't fair to Zion and will just make you look dumb when someone pulls this thread up 5 years from now.

I think people are bringing up Lebron in a sense of they haven't seen a mix of this size and athleticism since Lebron. If that's what they're doing then I think it's appropriate. I follow high school basketball (it's sad I know) and I have not seen someone as big and athletic as Zion since Lebron. Is he as skilled as Lebron? No of course not. Lebron was taller and faster and had better ball skills. Zion is much thicker than a high school Lebron and I might actually give Zion the edge in vertical explosiveness. He's 6'6 and gets his eyes above the rim with ease. Zion is also very quick and fast for someone his size, not Lebron status but still freakish.

Again if the people bringing up Lebron are doing it by saying we haven't seen a combo of size and athleticism since Lebron I think that's fair and on point. If they start saying he's as skilled as Lebron than ya they definitely start losing their credibility on the subject.

Good Summary.. i doubt anybody really compares Zion to Lebron as overall Players or even talents at age 16. Still from a "Athletism and Strenght for his size" perspective he is very close to Lebron and in terms of strenght even far ahead of 16yo Lebron. Lebron was 230 when he was 19.. Zion is 230 at 16. If he stays ripped and in great shape(he is suprisingly lean.. anybody who thinks he is chubby check out his instagram..)and continues to grow he will be ahead of Lebron in terms of Strenght/Speed ratio once he enters the NBA.

Also i have seen him throw some Lebron esque passes..Hold on i dont thing he ever will be on Lebrons Level passing but he has flair in his passes and is a willing passer to. Not the 7-9apg guy Lebron is... more like 4-5apg at his peak.

His shot is not broken and with proper traing can be at least decent enough(same discussion as with Ben Simmons..)

We also dont have to be so fixed on Lebron comps here.. allthough Zion said multuple times his idol is cleary Lebron.

A Prime Larry Johnson(Have we ever seen his actual Prime? he started to get injured very soon into his career)
A ripped not chubby taller Charles Barkley
A SF/PF version of Shaq(dunks on anybody.. doesnt need a Jumper..)

are all comps i can think of.

Zion has gotten in much better shape as of late. He is now a really thick dude but ripped, his body at 16 is flat out freakish. I also dont want to sell Zion short on his skills either. Now hes not as skilled as Lebron but he is also not the #2 player in his class just because of his athleticism. He has tremendous touch 10ft and in, he uses his freakish body control and athleticism mixed with his tremendous touch and that allows him to score at great efficiency 10ft and in even against elite size and competition. He also has good handles for a SF at the age of 16 and has tremendous basketball IQ.

Of course if you compare him to Lebron he is going to fall short, but I think he and Bagley are both freak talents and if they keep on their trajectory they will be looked at as superstar potential type guys.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#45 » by bulliedog8 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:34 pm

How good is that Marvin Bagley guy if Zion is getting this much hype yet not even #1 in his class?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:How good is that Marvin Bagley guy if Zion is getting this much hype yet not even #1 in his class?

Really really good haha. 6'11 and really athletic and really skilled. Has a really nice looking jumper, its inconsistent right now but has great potential with it. Can either play the 3 or be the perfect stretch 4 in todays game. Not too many holes in Bagley's game.
the7boss
Pro Prospect
And1: 553

Post#47 » by the7boss » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 pm

Lebron James comparison is too much for any kid. Not a good thing.

I see more a Westbrook-like SF-PF, it seems he can be running the court, hustling for rebounds and dunking on people for the whole 48mins, insane motor and agressiveness. Plus the combination of size, strength, pace and coordination is unique.

Even without a reliable jumper he can have a long NBA carreer.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#48 » by JV4MVP » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Unreal (2:15, 2:50, 4:50, 5:40):

Reminds me of Shawn Kemp.

Read on Twitter
BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#49 » by BillyKingGM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

What makes Zion a better prospect than Aaron gordon?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm

BillyKingGM wrote:What makes Zion a better prospect than Aaron gordon?

More translatable athleticism. Zion is faster, quicker both with his first step and laterally and Zion's ball handling is also much better. I know dunking is all you see in the highlights but he has tremendous body control and touch around the rim. Gordon had a lot of nasty finishes in high school but they were usually off dump offs and stuff, he was never a threat as a slasher, Zion is a dominant slasher no matter the competition. He's a tremendous at making layups in traffic. I'll keep saying it as well, his basketball IQ especially on offense is through the roof. This dude always plays at his own pace and never takes a bad shot.
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#51 » by TheBunk » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Yeah, i'm not really seeing Aaron Gordon at all, beyond the leaping
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#52 » by bigboi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:
bigboi wrote:He's athletic, but doesn't really have good ball handle or a shot

The part about his ball handling is simply not true.. He has pretty darn good Handling for a guy his Size. He played PG for most of his life before his growth spurt.

You act like all PGs have good handles lmao. That mans handles were obviously poop because he was getting like no looks before the growth spurt
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
KobesScarf
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#53 » by KobesScarf » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:This competition is really bad. It worries me about a guy that big. It looks like he's playing guard or wing most of the time but he's always the tallest guy on the court. is he just bullying these kids? He doesn't have elite speed at all, but can jump and is super strong. But he doesn't have the speed to get to the rim in the NBA imo Lots of backdoor dunks and ally oops but he isn't breaking you down and dunking like lebron. Fast break dunks only

That windmill ally was nasty though. Again though, everyone on the other team looked below 6 feet.

This is a silly criticism.

Zion like every other top basketball recruit is evaluated in AAU(against the best players in the country) not HS.
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#54 » by LonZoBallin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm

KobesScarf wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:This competition is really bad. It worries me about a guy that big. It looks like he's playing guard or wing most of the time but he's always the tallest guy on the court. is he just bullying these kids? He doesn't have elite speed at all, but can jump and is super strong. But he doesn't have the speed to get to the rim in the NBA imo Lots of backdoor dunks and ally oops but he isn't breaking you down and dunking like lebron. Fast break dunks only

That windmill ally was nasty though. Again though, everyone on the other team looked below 6 feet.

Zion like every other top basketball recruit is evaluated in AAU(against the best players in the country) not HS.

Yes and Zion was little known before the start of this season. He's gotten hype for what he's done this year, against a bunch of small guys
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#55 » by reanimator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Zion was definitely well know before this season. Duke mentioned the NBA Top100 camp but the first time I heard of him was at the Hoopseen Bob Gibbons Tournament of Champions. He also was impressive on the Adidas circuit for good measure. Competition is not a worry nor matters at this stage and probably not even the college level.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:37 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

Yes and Zion was little known before the start of this season. He's gotten hype for what he's done this year, against a bunch of small guys

I'm sorry but this is flat out wrong. Unless you are talking about his name becoming more well known to the average fan because his videos have gone viral, but if you are talking about what scouts think you're wrong on this one. Zion was the MVP of the NBPA top 100, he was a huge standout during the in the Elite 24 practices (practices mean more than the actual game, he dominated the game as well) even though he was the youngest player, he was a standout in the Adidas Nations event as well and again one of the youngest players that were invited, that included the top prospects in the nation and not just in his class, he was going up guys like Ayton and Carter.

A few scouts have even said they think he's the #1 prospect over Bagley and they said that before he became so popular on youtube with all his dunks.
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#57 » by LonZoBallin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:
KobesScarf wrote:

I'm sorry but this is flat out wrong. Unless you are talking about his name becoming more well known to the average fan because his videos have gone viral, but if you are talking about what scouts think you're wrong on this one. Zion was the MVP of the NBPA top 100, he was a huge standout during the in the Elite 24 practices (practices mean more than the actual game, he dominated the game as well) even though he was the youngest player, he was a standout in the Adidas Nations event as well and again one of the youngest players that were invited, that included the top prospects in the nation and not just in his class, he was going up guys like Ayton and Carter.

A few scouts have even said they think he's the #1 prospect over Bagley and they said that before he became so popular on youtube with all his dunks.

Well that's just ridiculous. You and me both know that. Bagley is prolly the best player in the nation. Again, Zion is beating little kids, Bagley beat the #1 team in the nation
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:41 pm

LonZoBallin wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:

Well that's just ridiculous. You and me both know that. Bagley is prolly the best player in the nation. Again, Zion is beating little kids, Bagley beat the #1 team in the nation

I agree that Bagley is the better prospect. But your point that Zion is only doing this against little kids and that's why he's ranked and hyped as high as he is, is flat out wrong though. Zion shot up the rankings when he just ran through the top 100 camp and was a standout in the Adidas circuit even though he was a good year to 2 years younger than a lot of the guys he was going against and those guys were some of the best recruits in the nation.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#59 » by bigboi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:42 am

Zion Williamson was getting no buzz until this season, why are you dudes lying? Otherwise, there would've been massive hype around him. Didn't realize he was a senior though
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#60 » by reanimator » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:45 am

I made this post before his HS season:

reanimator wrote:Zion Williamson and Romeo Langford seem to be the two names I see most often outside of Bagley.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1462624&p=48932718&hilit=zion#p48932718

Return to NBA Draft