Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,655

Re: Auston Matthews 

Post#41 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:53 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
DonMega wrote:
DeKobe DeBryant wrote:Who?

The beast that made history in his first NHL game ever. The IMMORTAL that will bring a championship to this city. THAT's who..

Nobody would be care about the leafs winning a championship except hockey fans in Toronto. It's not like cubs world series or if the Knicks championship. Hockey is not a top 7 popular sport world. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, cricket, rugby and tennis are all bigger.

It would be cool for a day

Raptors won. It would be a lot more global. You think China or Brazil or europe will say Toronto is from Canada who cares lol. They would enjoy it. Also depends on who we beat or which superstar we have to win the championship. For America to care.

Leafs is just a Toronto thing

You're telling me that if we reversed the global popularity of the leagues you'd be more interested in hockey because it's more popular? Popularity is a ridiculous barometer of just about anything. Do and watch what you enjoy mate. Who cares what's more popular? If the Leafs win it'll be important to the City of Toronto and many people in it, the rest of the world notwithstanding (although I think you're selling hockey a bit short).
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#42 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
DonMega wrote:
The beast that made history in his first NHL game ever. The IMMORTAL that will bring a championship to this city. THAT's who..

Nobody would be care about the leafs winning a championship except hockey fans in Toronto. It's not like cubs world series or if the Knicks championship. Hockey is not a top 7 popular sport world. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, cricket, rugby and tennis are all bigger.

Raptors won. It would be a lot more global. You think China or Brazil or europe will say Toronto is from Canada who cares lol. They would enjoy it. Also depends on who we beat or which superstar we have to win the championship. For America to care.

You're telling me that if we reversed the global popularity of the leagues you'd be more interested in hockey because it's more popular? Popularity is a ridiculous barometer of just about anything. Do and watch what you enjoy mate. Who cares what's more popular? If the Leafs win it'll be important to the City of Toronto and many people in it, the rest of the world notwithstanding (although I think you're selling hockey a bit short).

i agree it would be great for the city of toronto. but a championship that people would give us respect outside of toronto is not stanley cup. its the world series or nba championship. it would be talked about more. thats if you like hockey i mean. So a stanley cup would cater too hockey fans in toronto not everyone. If hockey is a good sport is subjective
Raptors til death
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Post#43 » by theaub » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Kc17 wrote:I'm not even a Leaf fan, it's just crazy how deluded some people are on this board when it comes to the NHL and hockey in general.

Best part of this board tbh
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,976

Post#44 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Why are we arguing about which sport is more popular and who would care more if either the Leafs or Raps won the championship? They're both our teams and represent the city. Any of them winning would be a cause for celebration throughout the country. I still don't understand why some people think that to be a true fan of one team or sport, you can't be a fan of another team or sport.

I've grown up in this city without seeing a single damn championship from the Leafs, Raps or Jays. At this point, I'll celebrate like hell regardless of which team finally wins one.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,655

Post#45 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:10 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nobody would be care about the leafs winning a championship except hockey fans in Toronto. It's not like cubs world series or if the Knicks championship. Hockey is not a top 7 popular sport world. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, cricket, rugby and tennis are all bigger.

i agree it would be great for the city of toronto. but a championship that people would give us respect outside of toronto is not stanley cup. its the world series or nba championship. it would be talked about more. thats if you like hockey i mean. So a stanley cup would cater too hockey fans in toronto not everyone. If hockey is a good sport is subjective

I know what you're saying and you're probably right overall. I'm just saying, what do you mean by "people would give us respect outside of toronto" and why does it matter?
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,983

Post#46 » by MavCarter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:11 pm

lol who cares if the leafs winning a championship wouldn't get a ton of recognition worldwide?? Toronto has been a sports shathole for way too long, we need all the rings we can get. You don't see sports fans in boston **** on the bruins because they want the patriots to win it every year.
#Enjoytheride
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,983

Post#47 » by MavCarter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Also this board continues to show how insecure it is towards hockey. The leafs most popular forum has a raptors thread stickied and is active as hell. I don't see why people on here feel like they have to pledge allegiance to one team, this isn't how great sports towns work
#Enjoytheride
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#48 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Big Mac Biyombo wrote:
CDN Uprising wrote:Patrik Laine is better

Bigger, stronger, faster, better shooter, stronger with the puck... It's pretty hard to argue otherwise. Laine has virtually had more success at every level. He won the world juniors, he won the Finnish league, and he's got more points and a better +/- in less games despite a serious concussion.

People in Toronto don't want to hear it, but Laine is just the superior player. That's not to say Matthews is bad, he's a phenomenal talent. Laine is just even better.

He has better line-mates, that's all. There was a stat floating around the other day about how many primary points he's responsible for 5 on 5 for the team and he's near the top of the league in his share. It's easier to see why Laine is great, admittedly. That rifle shot is elite. On the other hand, Matthews has like close to 60 shots on goal on him in only 4 more games. There's a lot of underlying evidence that Matthews is more dominant. Also, if you're going to bring up how much he's won in the past, may as well point out that Matthews is playing on the better team now with, like, 7 other rookies 8-)
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#49 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:

I know what you're saying and you're probably right overall. I'm just saying, what do you mean by "people would give us respect outside of toronto" and why does it matter?

I guess I'm saying they would be more eye balls watching the championship for raptors or blue Jays. Leafs in it less about respect but relevancy. CBC would be crazy with the ratings but outside no one would care.
Raptors til death
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,976

Post#50 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 pm

McGregFan wrote:Also this board continues to show how insecure it is towards hockey. The leafs most popular forum has a raptors thread stickied and is active as hell. I don't see why people on here feel like they have to pledge allegiance to one team, this isn't how great sports towns work

This. I fully understand why Raptors fans hate the puckheads who won't even give basketball the time of day and do their best to either ignore it or criticize it. I hate those puckheads myself. But, when Raptors fans start saying stuff like "f*** hockey" and hating on the Leafs, they're basically stooping to the same level as those puckheads that they're always criticizing.

Even if you aren't a hockey or baseball fan, it costs you nothing to wish the Leafs or Jays well and doesn't take anything away from you being a Raptors fan.
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#51 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:34 pm

i didnt say i dont want the leafs to win a stantley cup i honestly dont care. just saying it wouldnt be as big of a deal than what most people think. if you live in toronto awesome enjoy it but outside nobody cares about it.... anyways its a huge hypothetical. first they gotta make the playoffs let alone a championship lol
Raptors til death
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#52 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Is this what Yogurt Producer does in his spare time in Saskatchewan?

Well, to be fair, yogurt can only be produced during yogurt season.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#53 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Jonn wrote:
Concernedcad wrote:I find it hard to root for the Leafs because Matthews is American. It's wrong but it is what it is.

Probably the dumbest thing I have read on this forum in a long time, and that's saying a lot. I award you no and1's and may god have mercy on your soul.

Ahem. I believe you awarded one of my posts with that honour. If you just go about awarding that status willy nilly it loses all meaning.

As for Matthews, he's not the whole team or the only exciting player. Mitch Marner, Canadian, is no slouch, and no one is going vintage Don Cherry over Nylander.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
RealGM
And1: 66,425

Post#54 » by 720 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Big Mac Biyombo wrote:

Bigger, stronger, faster, better shooter, stronger with the puck... It's pretty hard to argue otherwise. Laine has virtually had more success at every level. He won the world juniors, he won the Finnish league, and he's got more points and a better +/- in less games despite a serious concussion.

People in Toronto don't want to hear it, but Laine is just the superior player. That's not to say Matthews is bad, he's a phenomenal talent. Laine is just even better.

I don't even watch hockey and I can easily tell this post is an exaggerated comment with no context. Any hockey fans here to back up or deny this claim? Btw are you from Winnipeg?
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#55 » by Jonn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Jonn wrote:
Concernedcad wrote:I find it hard to root for the Leafs because Matthews is American. It's wrong but it is what it is.

Probably the dumbest thing I have read on this forum in a long time, and that's saying a lot. I award you no and1's and may god have mercy on your soul.

Ahem. I believe you awarded one of my posts with that honour. If you just go about awarding that status willy nilly it loses all meaning.

As for Matthews, he's not the whole team or the only exciting player. Mitch Marner, Canadian, is no slouch, and no one is going vintage Don Cherry over Nylander.

I don't care where players from I just want all the best players I can get. Being Canadian is a bonus. I can cheer for Team Canada and Canadians on other teams. I don't even support a Canadian NHL team and I don't find a struggle with this.

When it comes to a Matthews/Laine discussion. It ends with Matthews being a Center who will stay at Center. Top line Centers with that kind of offensive talent are so rare. Not to take anything from Laine who is tremendous. But I will take Matthews and my background is Finnish.
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst
And1: 8,068

Post#56 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:40 pm

VC720 wrote:
Big Mac Biyombo wrote:

I don't even watch hockey and I can easily tell this post is an exaggerated comment with no context. Any hockey fans here to back up or deny this claim? Btw are you from Winnipeg?

Exaggerated with no context? What was exaggerated? His better track record as far as winning goes? His better stats? The fact that he's put up those stats in a much harder division in less games played?
Raptorstopfan wrote:Demar is inarguably the best jump shooter NBA has seen in a long long time.
Ipsofact0
Senior
And1: 529

Post#57 » by Ipsofact0 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:45 pm

lmfao that makes no **** sense

some people man
Ipsofact0
Senior

Re: RE: Re: Auston Matthews 

Post#58 » by Ipsofact0 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Potential wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
DonMega wrote:

Exactly this. Only the small Canadian population and the few Americans would know about the Leafs winning. No one else would even care. NBA is a waaaaaaay more popular league. The Raptors would be getting a lot more talk and congrats around the world especially the large population in USA, China etc. No one even knows what the Leafs are outside of Canada

it's crazy how delusional some people are..
RealGM
And1: 66,425

Post#59 » by 720 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Big Mac Biyombo wrote:
VC720 wrote:
Big Mac Biyombo wrote:Bigger, stronger, faster, better shooter, stronger with the puck... It's pretty hard to argue otherwise. Laine has virtually had more success at every level. He won the world juniors, he won the Finnish league, and he's got more points and a better +/- in less games despite a serious concussion.

Exaggerated with no context? What was exaggerated? His better track record as far as winning goes? His better stats? The fact that he's put up those stats in a much harder division in less games played?

Well for one jaysrule already talked about their different positions and how Matthews plays in a more challenging role at C.
Ipsofact0
Senior

Post#60 » by Ipsofact0 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:i didnt say i dont want the leafs to win a stantley cup i honestly dont care. just saying it wouldnt be as big of a deal than what most people think. if you live in toronto awesome enjoy it but outside nobody cares about it.... anyways its a huge hypothetical. first they gotta make the playoffs let alone a championship lol

i am not a hockey fan

but the leafs winning a cup would be the BIGGEST thing to ever happen in Toronto/Canadian sports news. I'm not really sure where your going with this? I **** love the Raptors but PLEASE don't be delusional enough to think they even come close to the Leafs in terms of world wide popularity/repore/history/legacy.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs