Moderator: Crowned

RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: RE: Re: Auston Matthews 

Post#61 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Ipsofact0 wrote:
Potential wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nobody would be care about the leafs winning a championship except hockey fans in Toronto. It's not like cubs world series or if the Knicks championship. Hockey is not a top 7 popular sport world. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, cricket, rugby and tennis are all bigger.

It would be cool for a day

Raptors won. It would be a lot more global. You think China or Brazil or europe will say Toronto is from Canada who cares lol. They would enjoy it. Also depends on who we beat or which superstar we have to win the championship. For America to care.

Leafs is just a Toronto thing

Exactly this. Only the small Canadian population and the few Americans would know about the Leafs winning. No one else would even care. NBA is a waaaaaaay more popular league. The Raptors would be getting a lot more talk and congrats around the world especially the large population in USA, China etc. No one even knows what the Leafs are outside of Canada

it's crazy how delusional some people are..

Nothing delusional about it. The Stanley cup averages less viewers than the ECF in usa lol. Worldwide NBA destroys NHL in popularity Except Canada
Raptors til death
Ipsofact0
Senior
And1: 529

Re: Auston Matthews 

Post#62 » by Ipsofact0 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:58 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:i didnt say i dont want the leafs to win a stantley cup i honestly dont care. just saying it wouldnt be as big of a deal than what most people think. if you live in toronto awesome enjoy it but outside nobody cares about it.... anyways its a huge hypothetical. first they gotta make the playoffs let alone a championship lol

so incredibly stupid...
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#63 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Ipsofact0 wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:i didnt say i dont want the leafs to win a stantley cup i honestly dont care. just saying it wouldnt be as big of a deal than what most people think. if you live in toronto awesome enjoy it but outside nobody cares about it.... anyways its a huge hypothetical. first they gotta make the playoffs let alone a championship lol

so incredibly stupid...

Atleast give reasoning lol. Tv Ratings, social media numbers prove NHL is way behind NFL, NBA, Football English or Spanish or italy leagues and baseball
Raptors til death
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,764

Post#64 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Jonn wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:
Jonn wrote:
Probably the dumbest thing I have read on this forum in a long time, and that's saying a lot. I award you no and1's and may god have mercy on your soul.

Ahem. I believe you awarded one of my posts with that honour. If you just go about awarding that status willy nilly it loses all meaning.

As for Matthews, he's not the whole team or the only exciting player. Mitch Marner, Canadian, is no slouch, and no one is going vintage Don Cherry over Nylander.

I don't care where players from I just want all the best players I can get. Being Canadian is a bonus. I can cheer for Team Canada and Canadians on other teams. I don't even support a Canadian NHL team and I don't find a struggle with this.

When it comes to a Matthews/Laine discussion. It ends with Matthews being a Center who will stay at Center. Top line Centers with that kind of offensive talent are so rare. Not to take anything from Laine who is tremendous. But I will take Matthews and my background is Finnish.

I don't have a problem with he being American either. I do understand the sentiment though. For decades Toronto fans have watched as locally developed players lead other teams on to glory while at the same time, when these stars become free agents, they rarely consider Toronto as a destination. There is an unsatisfied thirst for a locally developed star. Mitch Marner might fit that bill.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Ipsofact0
Senior
And1: 529

Post#65 » by Ipsofact0 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:
Ipsofact0 wrote:
Potential wrote:Exactly this. Only the small Canadian population and the few Americans would know about the Leafs winning. No one else would even care. NBA is a waaaaaaay more popular league. The Raptors would be getting a lot more talk and congrats around the world especially the large population in USA, China etc. No one even knows what the Leafs are outside of Canada

it's crazy how delusional some people are..

Nothing delusional about it. The Stanley cup averages less viewers than the ECF in usa lol. Worldwide NBA destroys NHL in popularity Except Canada

Actually it's completely delusional.

If you think the Raptors are a more popular franchise worldwide than the Leafs, then yeah actually probably one of the stupidest things I've heard on here.

Which sport is more popular is irrelevant

Also i ask why you are so salty? in general about Hockey. You come off insecure as hell. We get it you love BB so do I, but other sports exist my friend. Leafs have cups/legacy/repore Raptors will have to work hard for that, hopefully one day we will achieve it.
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#66 » by RaptorsLife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Ipsofact0 wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
Ipsofact0 wrote:it's crazy how delusional some people are..

Actually it's completely delusional.

If you think the Raptors are a more popular franchise worldwide than the Leafs, then yeah actually probably one of the stupidest things I've heard on here.

Which sport is more popular is irrelevant

Also i ask why you are so salty? in general about Hockey. You come off insecure as hell. We get it you love BB so do I, but other sports exist my friend. Leafs have cups/legacy/repore Raptors will have to work hard for that, hopefully one day we will achieve it.

They are more popular franchise worldwide because the sport they play. You think people in China or Brazil know what the Leafs are. ECF was boardcasted in over 150 countries. Millions have watched them play. NHL is strictly Canada, Russia, small European countries like Sweden, Finland etc that's it.. not even the big European countries care about the NHL like France or Germany.

NBA is global sport. Every contient. I mean China it's huge. They love basketball there

I said the blue Jay's too. I wasn't trying to make it a raptors vs leafs things but raptors or blue won a championship they would be more relevant when they win it globally. Then if leafs did. Only GTA would Care.

I don't like hockey but I hope they personally do win the Stanley Cup
My GF loves the leafs and I have lots of friends who do too
Raptors til death
DonMega
General Manager
And1: 8,689

Post#67 » by DonMega » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:13 pm

And1's for all the leafs fans, respect. Enjoy the game tonight against his favorite team to score on.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,501

Post#68 » by BetterCallSaul » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 pm

That's a terrible song.
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst
And1: 8,068

Post#69 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:30 pm

VC720 wrote:
Big Mac Biyombo wrote:
VC720 wrote:I don't even watch hockey and I can easily tell this post is an exaggerated comment with no context. Any hockey fans here to back up or deny this claim? Btw are you from Winnipeg?

Exaggerated with no context? What was exaggerated? His better track record as far as winning goes? His better stats? The fact that he's put up those stats in a much harder division in less games played?

Well for one jaysrule already talked about their different positions and how Matthews plays in a more challenging role at C.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693025-jets-patrik-laine-youngest-in-nhl-history-with-three-hat-tricks

I'll just leave this here for those of you who are still in denial. The guy is the greatest scoring prospect in 25 years. The last rookie to have 3 hat tricks in a season was Selanne.

Positions are irrelevant when one guy is a phenom of this magnitude. Guys that score like this don't grow on trees.
Raptorstopfan wrote:Demar is inarguably the best jump shooter NBA has seen in a long long time.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#70 » by BramptonYute » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Matthews is way better than Laine
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst

Post#71 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:21 am

BramptonYute wrote:Matthews is way better than Laine

So even though Laine has better stats, is a proven winner at every level, and is noticeably better from the eye test, Matthews is way better? Solid reasoning. That Toronto media bias is a hell of a drug.

Laine has the second hardest shot in the NHL at 18.

He's one of the fastest skaters in the whole league at 6'5" - 220.

He was named the MVP at the World Championships at age 18 in the same year he led Finland to gold at the World Juniors and led his pro team to yup.... You guessed it. Another championship.

He's literally putting up the most impressive rookie season in decades while playing in the hardest division in the league.

But he doesn't play for the Leafs, so he's obviously not as good. :lol:

When he's hoisting the Calder at the end of the year, it will be a surprise to nobody but Leafs fans.
Raptorstopfan wrote:Demar is inarguably the best jump shooter NBA has seen in a long long time.
BramptonYute
Head Coach

Post#72 » by BramptonYute » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Big Mac Biyombo wrote:

So even though Laine has better stats, is a proven winner at every level, and is noticeably better from the eye test, Matthews is way better? Solid reasoning. That Toronto media bias is a hell of a drug.

He was named the MVP at the World Championships at age 18 in the same year he led Finland to gold at the World Juniors and led his pro team to yup.... You guessed it. Another championship.

He's literally putting up the most impressive rookie season in decades while playing in the hardest division in the league.

When he's hoisting the Calder at the end of the year, it will be a surprise to nobody but Leafs fans.
mitch marner is better than your pal Laine.

Matthews is a center, taking D-zone faceoffs with 1:00 left in 1 goal games. He's way better defensively than Laine. Matthews is also playing with two rookies all the time, Hyman and Brown or Hyman and Nylander. Matthews is doing all that while still putting up nearly the same points and goals.

Laine is one dimensional, while Matthews will be an elite all around #1C.

Elite center >>> Elite winger every day of the week.

Im not trying to discredit Laine, because he is and will continue to be an elite scorer for his career, but he's not doing anything else than just that.
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst

Post#73 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 am

BramptonYute wrote:
Big Mac Biyombo wrote:

Matthews is a center, taking D-zone faceoffs with 1:00 left in 1 goal games. He's way better defensively than Laine. Matthews is also playing with two rookies all the time, Hyman and Brown or Hyman and Nylander. Matthews is doing all that while still putting up nearly the same points and goals.

Im not trying to discredit Laine, because he is and will continue to be an elite scorer for his career, but he's not doing anything else than just that.

You were saying? :lol:
BramptonYute
Head Coach

Post#74 » by BramptonYute » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:35 am

Big Mac Biyombo wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:
Big Mac Biyombo wrote:So even though Laine has better stats, is a proven winner at every level, and is noticeably better from the eye test, Matthews is way better? Solid reasoning. That Toronto media bias is a hell of a drug.

You were saying? :lol:

what was that?
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#75 » by Griff83 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Saying Laine is better than Matthews is hilarious (especially if you look at what each guy is doing THIS season).

First off Laine plays on a line with Mark Schiefele, whos one of the best C's in the league this season and he also has Ehlers on the opposite wing.

Matthews most common linemates this season have been 2 rookies in Hyman and Brown. Just look at it like this. If you were to stick Matthews on a line with a player the calibur of Schiefele and put Laine with players comparable to Matthews wingers, do you think he'd have anywhere near the same level of production? It would be akin to sticking Laine on a line with Armia and Copp. Again it cannot be talked about enough just how superior Laine's linemates are compared to Matthews. Schiefele is 4TH in the entire NHL in points.

Laine also plays on the first PP unit with guys like Schiefele, Wheeler, Byfuglien whereas Matthews plays on the 2nd unit with guys like Komarov, Brown, Rielly.

Laine also averages over 2.5 seconds more per shift compared to Matthews (Laine rank 107 vs Matthews rank 229) which gives him more chances to produce offensively.

Lets look at each guy from a advanced analytics POV

CF% ( Corsi For Percentage; The percentage of all shots that are taken by a team (CF/(CF + CA)

Matthews 52.51 CF%
Laine 47.67 CF%

CF60 (Corsi For per 60; Shots taken by a team or player per 60 minutes of Time On Ice (CF/TOI*60)

Matthews 64.64 CF60
Laine 50.54 CF60

So basically Matthews is considerably better at driving posession and creating chances even tho hes working with much much less.

Even strength goals scored

Matthews 23 2nd in NHL (82% of goals scored)
Laine 21 Tied for 3rd (70% of goals scored)

So in the end from a offensive standpoint, I'd say its pretty much a wash. Laine plays with the much better linemates and gets more prime PP usage whereas Matthews plays with 2 rookies and one of them Hyman is pretty much a glorified grinder with limited finishing ability.

This next part is where both players really get seperated. So many casual hockey fans fall in love with goal scorers and totally disregard everything else that goes on in the game of hockey and thats ALOT. I mean for the first 4-5 years of each players careers many people argued that Ovechkin was a better hockey player than Crosby. Me thinks these people are highlight reel lovers and obsessed with goals. Many of the more educated fans said Ovechkin couldnt hold a candle to Crosbys all around game and overtime its been proven right and Crosby is unquestionably a better player.

Auston Matthews 59 games played
50 takeaways vs 32 giveaways (+18, that ranks #16 overall in the NHL)

Patrik Laine
32 takeaways vs 42 giveaways (-10, that ranks #674 overall in the NHL)

Laine has 10 more giveaways compared to Matthews with 4 less games played.

Matthews ability to not only be reponsible with the puck but also take it away from the other team is far superior.

Listen, Patrik Laine is a FANTASTIC pure goal scorer, one of the very best we've seen in along time but he's pretty much a 1 way player at this point.

Like I earlier said, if you swapped linemates and Matthews played on a line with Schiefele/Ehlers caliber players and Laine on a line with players of the Brown/Hyman ilk, you could prolly add around 8-10 points for Matthews and take away a decent amount for Laine.

Lets not even forget that the center position is FAR more valuable compared to wing.

Both great young players that have had great rookie seasons but Matthews has been the more impactfull all around player, doing it with less skilled players.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#76 » by Griff83 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 am

This narrative that it's a toronto thing and we're being blind is wrong.

Just last night Bob Mackenzie said he polled 24 of the 30 GM's and asked them who was their pick for rookie of the year.

Something like 20 of the 24 chose Matthews.
gsptheman
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#77 » by gsptheman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:58 am

RaptorsLife wrote:[url][/url]
Potential wrote:
Kc17 wrote:
What a delusional post. First, hockey is way more popular than football worldwide. Nobody gives a **** about football outside of North America.

If the Leafs won the Stanley Cup it would be all you heard about on the Canadian sports networks until the new season began. The Leafs are by far the most popular and most talked about sports franchise in Canada. And it would certainly get a fair amount of play down in the US and Europe.

If the Raps won the championship it would get buried hard in the US. The Raps winning a championship, or even getting to the finals is probably one of the worst scenarios for the NBA in terms of ratings, hype and marketing. Even worldwide it wouldn't create much buzz. The Leafs definitely have a bigger following Canada wide and worldwide than the Raptors.

I'm not even a Leaf fan, it's just crazy how deluded some people are on this board when it comes to the NHL and hockey in general. When the Leafs get good again, which they are trending towards, its bad news for the Raptors unfortunately, so I can understand why there is hate.

Wrong. What a terrible post. Hockey is d league compared to NBA and NFL

England, Germany, France, South America, South asia, Australia, Africa, China, Japan etc don't care about hockey. In America. Hockey isn't bigger than Nascar.

Russia and the smaller European countries, Canada. Very small majority of Americans that's it

NBA and NFL are way bigger. NHL has 4 times less twitter followers than NBA and NHL. Social example.

NHL 5 400 000 million compared to nfl 21 000 000 million and NBA 24 million

NHL has less twitter followers than LA Lakers lol

Lakers have 5.7 million

Like I said before China, Europe or south America or worldwide dont care if Toronto is from Canada. Only America and that only depends on who we beat and if we have a popular superstar than they would care.

The Stanley Cup last year averaged less viewers than ECF NBA in usa. Which had a Canadian team and NHL had 2 American teams. No one cared about it in America

Did you really say basketball and baseball is more global than hockey? hahah dude get out of your fantasy world and travel the world ppl around the world dont even know if a sport like basketball exists...china doesnt give a sh*t about basketball its all fake rumors by the nba trying to make them selfs look important....England is soccer crazy then cricket they dont give a sh*it about your basketball...germany is all soccer and a little bit of hockey...france is all soccer...hockey is a religion in easter europe and russia...
brazil is all soccer and than MMA they dont give a **** about your basketball... baseball is only popular in USA, Canada and small latin american countries and japan thats it rest of the world follows cricket...
the NBA ECF TVratings in the US was 4-5 million LMAO NFL pre season gets better ratings than that, dont forget its 4-5 million ppl watching out of 300 million ppl...the leafs 2013 1st round playoff ratings in canada alone was 5 million+ in a country of 35million LOLL....NBA is not even popular in the country of its orgin which is United states and your saying its golabal...NBA is the 3rd most watched sport in the US just a little notch above the NHL...
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#78 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:05 am

gsptheman wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:[url][/url]
Potential wrote:Wrong. What a terrible post. Hockey is d league compared to NBA and NFL

England, Germany, France, South America, South asia, Australia, Africa, China, Japan etc don't care about hockey. In America. Hockey isn't bigger than Nascar.

Russia and the smaller European countries, Canada. Very small majority of Americans that's it

NBA and NFL are way bigger. NHL has 4 times less twitter followers than NBA and NHL. Social example.

NHL 5 400 000 million compared to nfl 21 000 000 million and NBA 24 million

NHL has less twitter followers than LA Lakers lol

Lakers have 5.7 million

Like I said before China, Europe or south America or worldwide dont care if Toronto is from Canada. Only America and that only depends on who we beat and if we have a popular superstar than they would care.

The Stanley Cup last year averaged less viewers than ECF NBA in usa. Which had a Canadian team and NHL had 2 American teams. No one cared about it in America

Did you really say basketball and baseball is more global than hockey? hahah dude get out of your fantasy world and travel the world ppl around the world dont even know if a sport like basketball exists...china doesnt give a sh*t about basketball its all fake rumors by the nba trying to make them selfs look important....England is soccer crazy then cricket they dont give a sh*it about your basketball...germany is all soccer and a little bit of hockey...france is all soccer...hockey is a religion in easter europe and russia...
brazil is all soccer and than MMA they dont give a **** about your basketball... baseball is only popular in USA, Canada and small latin american countries and japan thats it rest of the world follows cricket...
the NBA ECF TVratings in the US was 4-5 million LMAO NFL pre season gets better ratings than that, dont forget its 4-5 million ppl watching out of 300 million ppl...the leafs 2013 1st round playoff ratings in canada alone was 5 million+ in a country of 35million LOLL....NBA is not even popular in the country of its orgin which is United states and your saying its golabal...NBA is the 3rd most watched sport in the US just a little notch above the NHL...

I been to London. I been to carberian. Just from those places hockey is a non factors.

Besides small European countries, Canada, Russia and small majority of Americans who cares about hockey?

Asia doesn't care besides Russia. Field hockey more popular there. Austrila, England, France, Germany, China, Japan, South asia India, Pakistan ETC also south America Brazil, Argentina, Chile. Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico etc. Mexico too.

Where is it popular.

Social media numbers..

NBA has 21 million followers on Twitter NHL has 5.5 million.

NFL has 24 million.

Facebook likes

NBA has 32 million likes

NHL has 4.3 million

Huge difference in popularity
Raptors til death
gsptheman
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#79 » by gsptheman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:14 am

RaptorsLife wrote:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nobody would be care about the leafs winning a championship except hockey fans in Toronto. It's not like cubs world series or if the Knicks championship. Hockey is not a top 7 popular sport world. Soccer, basketball, football, baseball, cricket, rugby and tennis are all bigger.

It would be cool for a day

Raptors won. It would be a lot more global. You think China or Brazil or europe will say Toronto is from Canada who cares lol. They would enjoy it. Also depends on who we beat or which superstar we have to win the championship. For America to care.

Leafs is just a Toronto thing

You're telling me that if we reversed the global popularity of the leagues you'd be more interested in hockey because it's more popular? Popularity is a ridiculous barometer of just about anything. Do and watch what you enjoy mate. Who cares what's more popular? If the Leafs win it'll be important to the City of Toronto and many people in it, the rest of the world notwithstanding (although I think you're selling hockey a bit short).

i agree it would be great for the city of toronto. but a championship that people would give us respect outside of toronto is not stanley cup. its the world series or nba championship. it would be talked about more. thats if you like hockey i mean. So a stanley cup would cater too hockey fans in toronto not everyone. If hockey is a good sport is subjective

Hey when ppl in toronto dont even care about raptors or basketball what makes you think they would make any impact worldwide? LOL they cant even get the country they play in behind them let alone the world...whereas leafs are on another level they are the yankess of the NHL or the cowboys of the NHL ...NBA regular season national broadcasts across the US = 2-3 million viewers...leafs get more than that every saturday again in 35 million ppl country LOL...NBA should first try to be popular in the US and canada before thinking they are global LOL...
Name me one country where basketball is the number #1 sport and considered a religion? just name me one? haha u cant cuz there is none for hockey i could name a dozen countries...
Oh and go look at the ratings for winter olympics hockey tournment vs the summer olympics basketball tournment....hockey owns basketball in the US ahaha ...you have been misinformed my friend like seriously its common sense there like 1 million viwers for raptors in canada and another 2-3 million in the states watching the cavs what makes you think ppl around the world give a fu*k? when the countries participating in the event dont even care?
RaptorsLife
RealGM

Post#80 » by RaptorsLife » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:20 am

gsptheman wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
You're telling me that if we reversed the global popularity of the leagues you'd be more interested in hockey because it's more popular? Popularity is a ridiculous barometer of just about anything. Do and watch what you enjoy mate. Who cares what's more popular? If the Leafs win it'll be important to the City of Toronto and many people in it, the rest of the world notwithstanding (although I think you're selling hockey a bit short).

i agree it would be great for the city of toronto. but a championship that people would give us respect outside of toronto is not stanley cup. its the world series or nba championship. it would be talked about more. thats if you like hockey i mean. So a stanley cup would cater too hockey fans in toronto not everyone. If hockey is a good sport is subjective

Hey when ppl in toronto dont even care about raptors or basketball what makes you think they would make any impact worldwide? LOL they cant even get the country they play in behind them let alone the world...whereas leafs are on another level they are the yankess of the NHL or the cowboys of the NHL ...NBA regular season national broadcasts across the US = 2-3 million viewers...leafs get more than that every saturday again in 35 million ppl country LOL...NBA should first try to be popular in the US and canada before thinking they are global LOL...
Name me one country where basketball is the number #1 sport and considered a religion? just name me one? haha u cant cuz there is none for hockey i could name a dozen countries...
Oh and go look at the ratings for winter olympics hockey tournment vs the summer olympics basketball tournment....hockey owns basketball in the US ahaha ...you have been misinformed my friend like seriously its common sense there like 1 million viwers for raptors in canada and another 2-3 million in the states watching the cavs what makes you think ppl around the world give a fu*k? when the countries participating in the event dont even care?

NBA finals averaged 21 million viewers just America.

Stanley cup averaged 4 million lol. Last year that too with 2 American teams

There is a reason why nba salary cap is huge. And reason

Wht kyle lowry will make 35 million a year and

Ashton matthews will make at his best 15-17 million a year

Salary cap and player salary is best on the market share and popularity of a sport. ESPN TNT huge TV deal that dwarfs the NHL deal with NBC and Rogers

NBA is huge in China. Your worrying about 2-3 million lol. NBA has 100s of million of people following their sport

Honest to God I wasn't trying to make this into a NBA to NHL popularity contest. I strongly believe NBA is much bigger worldwide. Numbers back that

My point was outside of Toronto. The Leafs winning the cup wouldn't be that big of a deal as some think. Not every Raptor fan is from Toronto.

If your from Toronto awesome enjoy it when it happens. Throw a huge ass Pardee
Raptors til death

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs