ImageImageImageImageImage

2016-2017 off season thread.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Populate List on 100 of Baseball's Best 

Post#341 » by Ranma » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:58 pm

In addition to Kershaw being #2 and Seager #11, Turner is #56, Jansen #65, Grandal #90, and A-Gon is #91.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: 2016-2017 off season thread. 

Post#342 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 am

Turner should be higher.

It's unjustifiable to have Arenado that high and Turner at 56.

I dare anyone to respond to this comment via the actual numbers and not some knee jerk reaction based on Arenado's highlight tape looking better than Turner's.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Not Quite Game Over? 

Post#343 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#344 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 am

What you got on Ryan Mosely, Ranma?

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#345 » by Neddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:25 am

Ryu went a live pitching session today for 1 inning of work, got 2 swinging strike outs and 1 looking K. gave up 1 hit. not sure whom he pitched against, but for his first live pitching session of this ST after 2 years of constant injuries and the guy got 3 Ks when asked of 1 inning of work, I think is very impressive as well as promising. I think Ryu has a great chance making the rotation if he can keep this up, even with mid to high 80s velocity. crafty lefties have maded living throwing junkballs for years, he could be the next one to do it. knowing we would have Wood, Kazmir, and McCarthy in the bullpen if Kershaw-Hill-Maeda-Urias-Ryu is the final rotational candidates, I don't see any issues with having injury risk player take a spot. the worst that can happen is bring up a rightful bullpen arm who will be displaced to AAA due to the surplus of starters that we have.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Dodgers Populate List on 100 of Baseball's Best 

Post#346 » by Neddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:29 am

Ranma wrote:In addition to Kershaw being #2 and Seager #11, Turner is #56, Jansen #65, Grandal #90, and A-Gon is #91.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I look for Urias making that list next year, with Bellinger replacing Gonzo the year after.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#347 » by Neddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:37 am

BTW, would we be willing to trade Joc, Bellinger, and Alvarez for Trout?

I know it's hypothetical and yes we are losing a ton of our future, as well as the Angels fans probably thinking that's just not enough, but can you imagine our lineup of

Forsythe
Seager
Trout
Gonzo
Turner
Grandal
Puig
Toles

with Barnes, Ethier, Franklin, SVS, **** + Utley on the bench? from looking at this lineup, I wonder if SVS has any options left. if so, I see him starting the season in AAA.

Frankly, I would love to flip Joc+Puig+Buehler+Willie for Trout and a prospect and able to keep Bellinger and Alvarez, but Im sure that's a pipe dream.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Is He a Dodgers' Signee? 

Post#348 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:49 am

Quake Griffin wrote:What you got on Ryan Mosely, Ranma?

I'm sorry. I don't know who that is.
Ranma
RealGM

Sold on Paying the Premium Price 

Post#349 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 am

Neddy wrote:BTW, would we be willing to trade Joc, Bellinger, and Alvarez for Trout?

I know it's hypothetical and yes we are losing a ton of our future, as well as the Angels fans probably thinking that's just not enough, but can you imagine our lineup of

Forsythe
Seager
Trout
Gonzo
Turner
Grandal
Puig
Toles

with Barnes, Ethier, Franklin, SVS, **** + Utley on the bench? from looking at this lineup, I wonder if SVS has any options left. if so, I see him starting the season in AAA.

Frankly, I would love to flip Joc+Puig+Buehler+Willie for Trout and a prospect and able to keep Bellinger and Alvarez, but Im sure that's a pipe dream.

We've had similar discussions on this in the past where I was willing to give up a ton in quantity to get Trout but reluctant to include quality like Julio Urias. I don't think I said that Trout was not worth it, but I was playing on the angle of the Angels' desperation and the lack of other teams' abilities to match our offers.

Things have since seemed to change as other teams have overpaid in prospect packages for players, so I'm more inclined to include Urias now provided we get Trout now and not 5 years from now. He's a player I'd be willing to deplete the farm for.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Sold on Paying the Premium Price 

Post#350 » by Neddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:BTW, would we be willing to trade Joc, Bellinger, and Alvarez for Trout?

Forsythe
Seager
Trout
Gonzo
Turner
Grandal
Puig
Toles

We've had similar discussions on this in the past where I was willing to give up a ton in quantity to get Trout but reluctant to include quality like Julio Urias. I don't think I said that Trout was not worth it, but I was playing on the angle of the Angels' desperation and the lack of other teams' abilities to match our offers.

Things have since seemed to change as other teams have overpaid in prospect packages for players, so I'm more inclined to include Urias now provided we get Trout now and not 5 years from now. He's a player I'd be willing to deplete the farm for.

I dunno if I would go that far. Trout is the best position player in all baseball, we know that and he is basically worth 8 WAR at any given season for the next 4-5 years easily, but Joc and Urias alone would make up most of that WAR for the same duration of time. Urias especially would become Trout's equal in 3 to 5 years in terms of WAR all by himself alone.

although having said that, Trout's value for the next 5 years would overshadow Joc+a couple of players whos WAR would combine to be 4 to 5 because Trout would cover Joc's position defensively while our prospects would compensate for some of the loss of the other two players.

again, even after expressing my counter argument, I still feel Trout is our times Mickey Mantle and won't be disappointed if we gave up our farm for him with the roster as it is.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Bringing About a Really Big 3 

Post#351 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:20 am

Neddy wrote:I dunno if I would go that far. Trout is the best position player in all baseball, we know that and he is basically worth 8 WAR at any given season for the next 4-5 years easily, but Joc and Urias alone would make up most of that WAR for the same duration of time. Urias especially would become Trout's equal in 3 to 5 years in terms of WAR all by himself alone.

although having said that, Trout's value for the next 5 years would overshadow Joc+a couple of players whos WAR would combine to be 4 to 5 because Trout would cover Joc's position defensively while our prospects would compensate for some of the loss of the other two players.

again, even after expressing my counter argument, I still feel Trout is our times Mickey Mantle and won't be disappointed if we gave up our farm for him with the roster as it is.

I tend to agree with you, but like you, I'm willing to make an exception for Mike Trout. Also, I added another paragraph to my previous post before your reply, so I'll just state it here instead with the following paragraph.

So to answer your question, Neddy, yes, I think I would trade Joc, Bellinger, and Alvarez for Trout at this point but I'd rather build a package around Pederson, Brock Stewart, Alex Verdugo, Willie Calhoun, and Walker Buehler.

I'd love to be able to get Trout without giving up Bellinger or Urias, but having him form a triumvirate of Kershaw, Trout, and Seager would bring on a golden age for the Dodgers. We'd still have free agency to pursue Manny Machado and hopefully have the opportunity to go after Shohei Otani as well. I'd do just about anything to make this happen without giving up Bellinger or Urias even if it meant including Yadier Alvarez. It goes without saying that I'd be willing to give up Gavin Lux as well.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Is He a Dodgers' Signee? 

Post#352 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:35 am

Ranma wrote:

5:03PM: The trade is official, as per a Dodgers press release.

4:23PM: The Orioles are close to acquiring left-hander Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers in exchange for minor league right-hander Ryan Moseley, reports Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun.
Ranma
RealGM

Per TrueBlueLA.com (Opens Up Spot on 40-Man Roster) 

Post#353 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:41 am

Quake Griffin wrote:5:03PM: The trade is official, as per a Dodgers press release.

4:23PM: The Orioles are close to acquiring left-hander Vidal Nuno from the Dodgers in exchange for minor league right-hander Ryan Moseley, reports Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun.

Read on Twitter

Eric Stephen, TrueBlueLA.com (2/19/17)
Moseley, 22, was drafted by Baltimore in the eighth round of the 2016 draft out of Texas Tech. As a junior last year he pitched mostly in relief, posting a 4.98 ERA in 56 innings, and with more walks (37) than strikeouts (32).

Baseball America said Moseley had a sinking fastball, but was inconsistent with both his curve and slider, noting, “He has three pitches to start but unless he shows significant improvement to his control, a power-reliever future seems more likely.”

Mosely had a 3.20 ERA in 12 games in his pro debut with Class-A Aberdeen in the New York-Penn League, with 18 strikeouts and nine walks in 19⅔ innings.

Dodgers trade Vidal Nuño to Orioles for RHP Ryan Moseley
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Is He a Dodgers' Signee? 

Post#354 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:27 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Ranma wrote:

5:03PM: The trade is official, as per a Dodgers press release.

we got him to clear the 40 men roster spot. he was drafted on potential and a fresh arm. I'm pretty sure he was a high school catcher who caught a flash in the pan as a college freshman then fizzled out. but he is still what, 23? I say he is an asset for a trade package later.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#355 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Cody Bellinger just joined on with Scott Boras.

Hello FA market.
Hello $275 million+

^^^
Assuming all goes as planned for his first 6 years with us.

****!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#356 » by Neddy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 am

^well hopefully, Cody will become thta $275 million worthy player.

and BTW, have you guys thought of the 2018 dodger lineup?

C Grandal
1B Bellinger
2B Forsythe
3B Turner
SS Seager
LF Verdugo
CF Joc
RF Puig

Barnes/****/Toles on the bench

that team, as long as Puig can muster the average performance between his breakout year and the last year, would devastate any opponent.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Son of a... 

Post#357 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:58 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Cody Bellinger just joined on with Scott Boras.

Hello FA market.
Hello $275 million+

^^^
Assuming all goes as planned for his first 6 years with us.

****!

Good grief. Why did Cody have to go and do that for? Hopefully, we can avoid another Adrian Beltre situation. Kershaw's agent, Casey Close, has been getting the upper-hand in negotiations with the Dodgers but at least we have a good relationship with him.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#358 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:45 am

Plus Seager
Plus Urias

We're going to have a hell of a time keeping this team together....

Assuming they all perform

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Neddy
RealGM

Post#359 » by Neddy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Seager and Urias will be up for contract extensions when our payroll is much more manageable, if anyone leaves it will be Cody, and via trade before his 6 year is up. meanwhile, Okoyea Dickson is a decent alternative of a right handed corner infielder/LF right now.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers