Jonathon Isaac

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Jonathon Isaac 

Post#1 » by sportfan6197 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:16 am

While he's been talked about in other threads, I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on Isaac yet considering all the discussion and love for Ingram last year. These two guys have been talked about quite a bit because of their similar builds coming from 2 ACC schools. Isaac looks to be an inch or so taller with a little bit more weight on him while Ingram has the longer arms.

Isaac seems to established himself as a top 6-7 pick in the draft. He's been the best player on an otherwise mediocre Florida State team that's now ranked in the polls, despite being touted as raw (by nbadraft) prior to the season. He's putting up solid percentages across the board (53/37/80), has shown good coordination/fluidity with the ball in his hands, and above average rebounding skills for his position, though he has been limited in minutes.

Doesn't seem like he'll be a guy that can contribute a lot immediately, but there's a lot of potential there. How high do you think Isaac can go? And what do you think his peak will be? Small-ball stretch 4 off the bench? Thad Young fringe starter? All-star caliber level such as Paul George?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Jonathon Isaac 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 am

He could go as high as #3 IMO and I don't think he goes past #6. He just has too much upside to overlook and he plays a valuable position with a valuable skill (shooting). His length is also just really good to have defensively.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#3 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:55 am

Didn't know much about him other than seeing him 4 or 5 times this year, but the more I read about him, he might have more of a groundwork for being able to create off the dribble then he's been given credit for. He doesn't have that side to side shake to his game, but I've been impressed with his footwork when he gets into his pull j. He'll even flash a fluid stepback from time to time. He's just playing in such a diminished role that you don't see those things very often from him.

But if he can do that, shoot and defend multiple positions...him becoming the most valuable player in this draft down the road is very possible, especially in terms of building a championship level team.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,607

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 am

Curious on who gets taken first between him and Tatum. I don't really see a star from Isaac because his lack of ability to create for himself compared to the other elite guys in this draft. But gotta love his potential.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#5 » by reanimator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:10 am

He won't be ball dominant or super dynamic with the ball which is perfect because it'll be easier to pair him with an actual star over a guy like Jayson Tatum and gives you a great deal of roster flexibility. One-two pull ups, straight line slashes, transition buckets, catch and shoot 3s, cuts to the basket and hopefully a post up game plus the defensive versatility. Don't see him in the top tier with the big 4 but I'd take him 6th and anywhere 5-7 is sensible.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#6 » by tester551 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:27 am

RipCity71252 wrote:I'll be honest when I say I didn't know much about him other than seeing him 4 or 5 times this year, but the more I read about him, he might have more of groundwork for being able to create off the dribble then he's been given credit for. He doesn't have that side to side shake to his game, but I've been impressed with his footwork when he gets into his pull j. He'll even flash a fluid stepback from time to time. He's just playing in such a diminished role that you don't see those things very often from him.

But if he can do that, shoot and defend multiple positions...him becoming the most valuable player in this draft down the road is very possible, especially in terms of building a championship level team.

I completely agree here. IMO, he has the highest potential in this draft. It will take patience, but I think he'll get there.

He reminds me of Durant. He plays with some shot-happy guards, so I don't think everyone can see his full potential as a player.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#7 » by cksdayoff » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:45 am

Isaac for a few years looks like a 3rd option on a team, while Tatum looks like a second option guy. Isaac is probably the better defender though, just because he's more athletic.
#failforfultz
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#8 » by Upperclass » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 am

I think he busts. I dont see it with him. Possesses a little of a few different areas, but nothing is great and isnt a high IQ player. Kinda mechanical at times.
PLO
Analyst
And1: 1,305

Post#9 » by PLO » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am

Well, I think he's going to be great - he's a long way off in terms of time though.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#10 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Why is his potential seen as being so high? I just don't see it at all. What makes him better than Tatum? Heck why him over Monk, Williams, or Lauri?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#11 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:33 pm

E-Balla wrote:Why is his potential seen as being so high? I just don't see it at all. What makes him better than Tatum? Heck why him over Monk, Williams, or Lauri?

Versatility. The potential to play the 3-4 positions well, both offensively and defensively
PLO
Analyst

Post#12 » by PLO » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

E-Balla wrote:Why is his potential seen as being so high? I just don't see it at all. What makes him better than Tatum? Heck why him over Monk, Williams, or Lauri?

I have a more detailed reply, but shorthand, vs Tatum, Isaac is the better defender and can finish through contact vs NBA level talent (unlike Tatum) - Tatum can put the ball on the ground but has the blinkers on as soon as he does it - he obviously has more tricks ball in hand than Isaac but overall I think Isaac has the higher upside because of having NBA level athleticism and if you're drafting Isaac you really shouldn't be expecting him to be putting the ball on the floor much at all. I think Tatum will be really limited by his athleticism at the next level. Monk's deficiences are obvious, Isaac has shown more than Williams vs really good talent, but yeah Williams' ceiling is super-high. I'm not really sure if any of them end up playing Isaac's role as a slashing 4 and close to do-it-all on defense that awaits him if he fulfills his potential.

Probably the only prospect I think is potentially better is Markannan - that dude's shot is phenomenal and will translate from day one in the NBA, obviously though he's also limited in other areas.

Just to be clear, I think all of these prospects will carve out good NBA careers - ironically I think it will take Isaac and Williams the longest to reach their potential (in Isaac's case because of his build) but at their top could be better than any of them bar Lauri.
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Lonzo Ball is literally on a Hall of Fame trajectory at this point. This thread is so full of fail.

shakes0 wrote:I hope they put Simmons on Trae. He'll foul him out by the 3rd quarter. plus Simmons can't stay in front of Trae. No one can.
PLO
Analyst

Post#13 » by PLO » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:52 pm

^ ^ there's a clip of Isaac blocking Tatum on youtube somewhere, from earlier in the season. The difference in athleticism is pretty obvious. I think Tatum will struggle mightily guarding some of the players he will have to in the league - he obviously has good instincts on D but yeah he will be a bit overwhelmed by the athletic marvels he will face night in night out in the NBA.

E-Balla
RealGM

Post#14 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

Versatility. The potential to play the 3-4 positions well, both offensively and defensively

Basically, he's tall and can shoot? Because I don't know why else anyone would think he can play the 3 offensively or the 4 defensively.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#15 » by reanimator » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm

E-Balla wrote:Because I don't know why else anyone would think he can play the 3 offensively or the 4 defensively.

Why not?
PLO
Analyst

Post#16 » by PLO » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Basically, he's tall and can shoot? Because I don't know why else anyone would think he can play the 3 offensively or the 4 defensively.

Offensively I can understand but what makes you think he won't be able to defend the 4 in the NBA once he puts some weight on?

BillyKingGM
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#17 » by BillyKingGM » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Ibaka

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#18 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 pm

PLO wrote:

I have a more detailed reply, but shorthand, vs Tatum, Isaac is the better defender and can finish through contact vs NBA level talent (unlike Tatum) - Tatum can put the ball on the ground but has the blinkers on as soon as he does it - he obviously has more tricks ball in hand than Isaac but overall I think Isaac has the higher upside because of having NBA level athleticism and if you're drafting Isaac you really shouldn't be expecting him to be putting the ball on the floor much at all. I think Tatum will be really limited by his athleticism at the next level. Monk's deficiences are obvious, Isaac has shown more than Williams vs really good talent, but yeah Williams' ceiling is super-high. I'm not really sure if any of them end up playing Isaac's role as a slashing 4 and close to do-it-all on defense that awaits him if he fulfills his potential.

Probably the only prospect I think is potentially better is Markannan - that dude's shot is phenomenal and will translate from day one in the NBA, obviously though he's also limited in other areas.

Just to be clear, I think all of these prospects will carve out good NBA careers - ironically I think it will take Isaac and Williams the longest to reach their potential (in Isaac's case because of his build) but at their top could be better than any of them bar Lauri.

Isaac isn't even that athletic. Tatum is only slightly shorter but is more oversized for his position, and he's slower but he's also not a string bean. Everyone doesn't have the build to gain a lot of weight and unlike AD who gained 35 pounds from 2010 to 2012 Issac doesn't seem to be constantly gaining weight.

Tatum doesn't really have blinders either. Not a great passer but he's averaging 2 assists a game and he moves the ball well when he's not isolating (and even if he's isoing he's the top 1 on 1 scoring in the nation).

What really interested me about your post is that you called him a slashing 4. How do you see that? He doesn't slash now and he's guarded by guys that aren't on NBA level at all. I think he'll stick because he can shoot and defend but outside of that I'm just not seeing much.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#19 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:10 pm

PLO wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Offensively I can understand but what makes you think he won't be able to defend the 4 in the NBA once he puts some weight on?

Everyone can't just put weight on without losing speed and quickness. Isaac doesn't have those AD shoulders he's built more like Anthony Randolph.

reanimator wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Because I don't know why else anyone would think he can play the 3 offensively or the 4 defensively.

Why not?

No handles to be a 3 and lack of the quickness needed for 3s. Defensively at the 4 he's weaker than even KP and KP only squeezes by with his height and Isaac doesn't even that he's a little over the average PF in length. He's a tweener in the worst way.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#20 » by No-Man » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:40 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:

I'd say this is impossible, you'd need all of the guys with a better shot at becoming 1 or 2 options to bust hard.

Return to NBA Draft