ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Thread -- Wiz vs Jazz (2/26/17)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Who will prevail?

Representing the most powerful city in the world.
75%
I gotta join a "club" just to have a beer? Meh.
25%

Total votes: 4

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Re: Official Thread -- Wiz vs Jazz (2/26/17) 

Post#241 » by tontoz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:35 am

Outrebounded by 25. It is almost impossible to overcome that. Our frontcourt got punk'd in every way.

Impressed by Beal again. Scoreless at the half but goes off in the 2nd.

I am hoping that Brooks can eventually get Wall to take better care of the ball.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#242 » by BigA » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:42 am

Dat2U wrote:I was at the game. I just got into a back and forth with Ted Leonsis about Ernie Grunfeld. I told him fire Ernie, he walked towards me and responded "that's your opinion". I said Mahinmi & Nicholson were horrible free agent signings. He said "we just traded Nicholson". I said you spent a 1st round pick to dump him, but "we got a good player in return" he said. I told him I didn't think Bogdanovic was worth a 1st. He just shook his head in disagreement. I told him well thanks for speaking with me and held out my hand to shake his. He dramatically pulled his hand away and rubbed his scalp and smiled as he walked way in the opposite direction. What a douche bag!

The fact that he didn't have his bodyguards grab you so he could take a free swing is a sign that he's matured over the years.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#243 » by AFM » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:45 am

I'm actually w/ NatP4 on this one.

Chugs four IPAs.
Anxiety sets in, bead of sweat rolls down forehead.
Still not drunk enough to approach arch rival Leonsis.
Becomes first person to ever order a shot of Fireball at the Verizon Center.
Finally feeling confident, euphoric, warm.
Zig zag walk towards Ted's Orate Nership booth. Steadies himself with one hand on the wall as a guide.
See Ted in booth.
He's enjoying the game with his family, his few hours a week when he's not slaving away trying to make the world a better place, donating millions to local charities, setting up orphanages, curing rare cancers, etc
Screams out "TEEEEED-YYYY BOOOOOY!"
He looks in Dat's direction, security comes to accost him, but Ted is nice enough, to hold them back.
"Hello there, young man. You must a passionate fan, to come out tonight when you're clearly feeling nauseous! Please, come into my booth and make yourself at home!"
"FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELLLL!!"
Ted shakes his head, "hah hah, well that's your opinion, my man!"
Dat points his finger at ted's shirt--"You've got mustard on your shirt, Terdieeee"
Ted looks down. Dat then brings his finger up quick and hits Ted in the nose, hard, while laughing maniacally.
Ted sighs, but doesn't want to be rude to a belligerent drunken fan twice his size. "Please, just leave then, my man, leave my family in peace. You're scaring my daughter."
"BOGDONAVICCCCC..." Dat burps a disgusting fireball burp, like a mixture between whiskey and Listerine mouthwash. "I'm not intoxicationed, just had a fe--" *BURPS AGAIN* getting some beer backwash onto his hand.
"Can I at least get a handshake?" dat asks, as he wipes the sticky IPA foam off his hand onto his shirt.

Goes home and rushes to his laptop. "Ted is such a douche!"
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#244 » by dangermouse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:58 am

Officiating was a f^&%ing s*#show.

John Wall can't get a call since the all star break, its gone back to rookie/sophmore John when he couldnt get a damn call either. How many all star games has he gotta be in to get some god damn respect from the refs?

Utah were holding Beal and Porter on one end and pushing for rebounds on the other. I know its not to blame for the loss and I hate resorting to laying blame at the feet of the refs... but i've got eyes, I know what i was seeing.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#245 » by CobraCommander » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:04 am

tontoz wrote:Outrebounded by 25. It is almost impossible to overcome that. Our frontcourt got punk'd in every way.

Impressed by Beal again. Scoreless at the half but goes off in the 2nd.

I am hoping that Brooks can eventually get Wall to take better care of the ball.

Im not expecting Brooks to get Wall to get the turn overs under control ...see Westbrook... also people in the league not killing Wall, Harden, Westbrook or Curry (last year) over turnovers because of the high usage. I would like to see Wall not get the lob out of bounds or caught in the air or going to the rim and kick out turn overs...those ill hurt in playoffs.

Not impressed with Beal going scoreless with 3 fouls in first half...but played like a man on fire in second half.

the problem was being OUT Rebounded and put played in the front court. Hayward basically showed Otto what a Max SF looks like... in every way possible. Gortat and Morris didnt do anything on the boards and nothing with the ball.

Today it was again Wall and Beal against the world. We wont win like that.

Only an idiot and someone that doesnt understand fatigue would blame Wall or Beal for the last two games. Wall and Beal are not the problem and have not been during our last two game losing streak. They Need help. When Sato come in the game or god forbid burke...its like a train wreck. Wall and Beal are being over used because we have NO guard play beyond them and as much as I love them, they are not the type of players that can overcome the front court being comply outplayed. It would take a Lebron tier player to over come how badly we were beat in the front court.

This highlights how bad it is that we didnt go all in to get Cousins and how things with Morris and Gortat as rebounders is only going to get worse and not better as they age. They are both opportunistic rebounders vs good rebounders. Opportunistic in the sense that SOMEONE has to get the rebounds and thats where Gortat gets most of his. We never see him go get a contested rebound or rebound in traffic... 50 wins still in sight???
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#246 » by CobraCommander » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:10 am

Oh and btw...Mahimi----he should wear a mask and brandis a weapon when he collects his checks cause he is committing larceny! But EG is GM of the year?
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#247 » by Meliorus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:13 am

Gortat's stat-line reflects his performance??? I'm shocked.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#248 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:14 am

Dat2U wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I was at the game. I just got into a back and forth with Ted Leonsis about Ernie Grunfeld. I told him fire Ernie, he walked towards me and responded "that's your opinion". I said Mahinmi & Nicholson were horrible free agent signings. He said "we just traded Nicholson". I said you spent a 1st round pick to dump him, but "we got a good player in return" he said. I told him I didn't think Bogdanovic was worth a 1st. He just shook his head in disagreement. I told well thanks for speaking with me and held out my hand to shake his. He dramatically pulled his hand away and rubbed his scalp and smiled as he walked way in the opposite direction. What a douche bag!

Ballsy of you to do that, but who was the douche bag? :D I mean, you just killed his boy and he probably gets 100 tweets a day about firing EG. What do you expect him to do, agree with you? That would be admitting he was wrong and you should know, that's a pretty tough thing. :wink: Notice he didn't disagree with your about Mahinmi.

Well I was on my 4th IPA and had a Fireball as well so I was in a talkative mood lol. I got lucky on some floor seats for cheap so I caught him near the Jazz bench right after the game. He could have ignored me but he walked directly towards me as I let him know how I felt. I did appreciated the interaction so I thought we could disagree but be agreeable. But the diss move seemed unnecessary. It confirmed to me his ego outsizes any and everything.

While I can imagine that you felt dissed by his pulling back, Dat, I can also imagine that in his position he may be counseled to avoid physical contact where a person might use it to initiate something unpleasant. Obviously, you aren't someone who'd have done that, but to him you're an unknown. He should have said something, not just walked away. But "douche bag" might be a little bit of an overreaction -- though understandable!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#249 » by CobraCommander » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 am

TGW wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Wall needs to stop sucking. He was terrible again today. Wall Morris Gortat Porter all need to play better.

The bench looked legit with Satoransky running it. We'll be fine.

Not worried about John though nine turnovers is inexcusable and remember, Beal was in the entire second half to help the bench. I have no problem with Sato over Burke but I don't think that means the bench is of a sudden great. Not when Oubre is sucking right now and we don't know if Smith is in or out of the rotation. Mahinmi is paid to defend and rebound. He had two rebounds in 16 minute. His offense is gravy. Morris going 3 for 11 and a -23 and Gortat predictably bad against Gobert, though he played soft all night.

Whether it's Burke or Satoransky, whoever is running that second unit flat out stinks to high hell.

Im not buying what Nat is selling here. Wall sucking while Beal is saddled with 3 fouls in the first? I doubt anyone watching the game didnt see that Wall was doing MORE than he should be asked to do. I dont consider that sucking. When in the second half Wall and Beal had to do TOO much again to try to make this competitive. There is a reason why we only have 1 allstar on this team...and its not because Wall needs to stop sucking...its because most of the rest of the team has too many nights like this. Im not ready to hit the panic button but we need a back up point guard as badly as cleveland...but D-Will isnt signing with the wiz tomorrow is he.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#250 » by dangermouse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 am

I'm absolutely sick of seeing Burke pound the hell out of the rock and then throw up some rubbish with nothing left on the shot clock.

Sato came in late in the 3rd and played the point so much better. SO much better.

Our second unit should be Sato/Boggs/Oubre/Smith/Mahinmi, and I'd run that exact lineup as sparingly as possible, i'd be inclined to have Mahinmi be the first person to sit back down. Shift Smith to centre and put either Kief or Porter back in at PF. Gortat has been bad since the break but Mahinmi is just ass at this point. $64 million dollars worth of ass.

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#251 » by CobraCommander » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:33 am

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Ballsy of you to do that, but who was the douche bag? :D I mean, you just killed his boy and he probably gets 100 tweets a day about firing EG. What do you expect him to do, agree with you? That would be admitting he was wrong and you should know, that's a pretty tough thing. :wink: Notice he didn't disagree with your about Mahinmi.

Well I was on my 4th IPA and had a Fireball as well so I was in a talkative mood lol. I got lucky on some floor seats for cheap so I caught him near the Jazz bench right after the game. He could have ignored me but he walked directly towards me as I let him know how I felt. I did appreciated the interaction so I thought we could disagree but be agreeable. But the diss move seemed unnecessary. It confirmed to me his ego outsizes any and everything.

While I can imagine that you felt dissed by his pulling back, Dat, I can also imagine that in his position he may be counseled to avoid physical contact where a person might use it to initiate something unpleasant. Obviously, you aren't someone who'd have done that, but to him you're an unknown. He should have said something, not just walked away. But "douche bag" might be a little bit of an overreaction -- though understandable!

Wait did he pull it back like Pappi does on Highly Questionable? Was the smile one of those...i gotcha smiles... or was it f*** this clown? I dont know, i think its cool that Ted talks to his customers and engages in friendly banter and critical feedback about the product that he provides. Can you imagine what would have happened if you would have went up to Steve Jobs and critqued the original IPhone? Based on all accounts (biography and multiple news story's from emplyoees and friends) that I have read he would have told you, dont buy apple products if you don't like them. I think you also have to consider he is writing checks to these bums and if you see they bums you know him and his friends know these guys that he writes millions of dollars in checks to are garbage. PLUS he JUST lost 2 games in a row. I mean this is HIS team so in his heart HIS team just got beat. There is some emotional baggage that he is inherently carrying around because of that. I think you gotta give him a pass simply based on the circumstance- plus what if he would have agreed with you? WHOA...and you had it on tape. WHOA WHOA...they would lead sport center with those quotes... i dont know man...i think you are a good dude and I dont know ted ...but i would give him a pass here based on the circumstance
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,319

Post#252 » by NatP4 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:35 am

dangermouse wrote:I'm absolutely sick of seeing Burke pound the hell out of the rock and then throw up some rubbish with nothing left on the shot clock.

Sato came in late in the 3rd and played the point so much better. SO much better.

Our second unit should be Sato/Boggs/Oubre/Smith/Mahinmi, and I'd run that exact lineup as sparingly as possible, i'd be inclined to have Mahinmi be the first person to sit back down. Shift Smith to centre and put either Kief or Porter back in at PF. Gortat has been bad since the break but Mahinmi is just ass at this point. $64 million dollars worth of ass.

Right, the ball was moving around, Sato had no issue fluently running the offense, everyone was moving the ball, we could actually defend pick and rolls.

But I thought Mahinmi played well tonight, and he's still getting into shape and developing chemistry, tonight was the first night that he got to play with Sato and not Burke, they got the PNR working some.

I'd go:
Wall/ Satoransky
Beal /Oubre
Porter/Bojan
Keef/Porter
Gortat/Mahinmi

Stagger Beal and Porter with the 2nd unit, because Beal can create his own shot and play PG, Porter can play power forward. Oubre and Bojan would benefit from playing with Wall as much as possible.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant

Post#253 » by dangermouse » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:46 am

Also Sato looks like the dude in the second Bourne movie that snipes Jason's Mrs. in the back of the noggin.

That has to be worth some playing time.

BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#254 » by BigA » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:24 am

montestewart wrote:
AFM wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I was at the game. I just got into a back and forth with Ted Leonsis about Ernie Grunfeld. I told him fire Ernie, he walked towards me and responded "that's your opinion". I said Mahinmi & Nicholson were horrible free agent signings. He said "we just traded Nicholson". I said you spent a 1st round pick to dump him, but "we got a good player in return" he said. I told him I didn't think Bogdanovic was worth a 1st. He just shook his head in disagreement. I told him well thanks for speaking with me and held out my hand to shake his. He dramatically pulled his hand away and rubbed his scalp and smiled as he walked way in the opposite direction. What a douche bag!

I saw Ted Leonsis at a grocery store in Dupont yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Way bars in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This kind of feels like a HOF combination. Anyone second?

Yes, but there have been a few more after these two, like AFM's Rashomon treatment. You (or someone) needs to do a little work to capture the original and all the funny responses in one post for the HOF.

This Dat2U encounter with Ted instantly grabs a place in Wizboard lore.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#255 » by montestewart » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 am

keynote wrote:
montestewart wrote:
AFM wrote:

I saw Ted Leonsis at a grocery store in Dupont yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Way bars in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This kind of feels like a HOF combination. Anyone second?

Seconded. But what would be better would be an entire "Tall Tales of Ted" thread. Let posters script increasingly ridiculous, over-the-top "anecdotes" about their encounter with the good Mr. Leonsis.

E.g., "I was feeding the meter on U St when a careening Bentley sideswiped my parked car! To my surprise, *Ted Leonsis* hopped out of the driver's seat, placed a urinal cake on the hood of the damaged car, yelled, 'I'm *never* firing Ernie, b@#$h!' and drove off without leaving a note."

Done, the two above along with AFM's second epic post, a trio of Terdesque absurdity. HOF Enshrinement found here
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#256 » by queridiculo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:00 am

The Wizards got some good minutes from Jason Smith during their run, since the break he's pretty much disappeared from the rotation but in the four minutes he came off the bench against the Sixers he gave us more energy and hustle than any of the other bigs.

Mahinmi hasn't shown he belongs on the court, absolutely devastating signing by Grunfeld.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#257 » by queridiculo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:06 am

TGW wrote:
Whether it's Burke or Satoransky, whoever is running that second unit flat out stinks to high hell.

Agreed, but if I had to choose between the two I'd rather role with Satoransky, it's incredible to me how unconformable Burke looks with the ball.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#258 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:10 pm

dangermouse wrote:Image

Also Sato looks like the dude in the second Bourne movie that snipes Jason's Mrs. in the back of the noggin.

That has to be worth some playing time.

I'd edit that somewhat.

Spawn this guy with Alfred E. Nueman and you've got a dead ringer for Sato.
In Rizzo we trust
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#259 » by Meliorus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Scott Brooks seems pretty satisfied with Burke's play.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#260 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Most of that was coachspeak. The only time he was honest was when he said Burke was "Good at times, struggled at times". I wouldn't say that he was satisfied with his play. If he was, he wouldn't have pulled him in the second half. But with 25 games left, unless we sign a veteran PG, you have to go with the hotter PG, which is right now is Sato. I could see him play Burke here and there, as long as he doesn't need ballhandling duties and just a shooter.

Return to Washington Wizards