ImageImageImageImageImage

Torrey Smith for Jordan Matthews rumors are back

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Re: Torrey Smith for Jordan Matthews rumors are back 

Post#2 » by thesack12 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 12:32 am

I didn't see anything in that article indicating Jordan Mathews would be coming to Frisco in a potential Torrey Smith trade.

But, it did mention that at the trade deadline Philly was offering a 5th and Baalke insisted on a 3rd. Just yet another terrible decision by Baalke. Torrey Smith was, is, and will be a colossal bust of a free agent signing. He's as one dimensional of a WR as they come, and he's not even great at that one dimension. If you have a chance to get anything of positive value for him, do it and do it now. I'd even offer to cover Smith's salary to move him for a draft pick. Would be doubly beneficial for the 9ers in getting an asset for a player who doesn't fit at all and still helps the team get to the salary floor.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#3 » by Dodub » Sun Feb 5, 2017 1:26 am

thesack12 wrote:I didn't see anything in that article indicating Jordan Mathews would be coming to Frisco in a potential Torrey Smith trade.

But, it did mention that at the trade deadline Philly was offering a 5th and Baalke insisted on a 3rd. Just yet another terrible decision by Baalke. Torrey Smith was, is, and will be a colossal bust of a free agent signing. He's as one dimensional of a WR as they come, and he's not even great at that one dimension. If you have a chance to get anything of positive value for him, do it and do it now. I'd even offer to cover Smith's salary to move him for a draft pick. Would be doubly beneficial for the 9ers in getting an asset for a player who doesn't fit at all and still helps the team get to the salary floor.

It talks about Matthews at the end of the article and being in a contract Year and such. It also talks about a player for player deal being best
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#4 » by NinerSickness » Sun Feb 5, 2017 7:43 am

Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I didn't see anything in that article indicating Jordan Mathews would be coming to Frisco in a potential Torrey Smith trade.

It talks about Matthews at the end of the article and being in a contract Year and such. It also talks about a player for player deal being best

thesack12
RealGM

Post#5 » by thesack12 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 1:31 pm

Dodub wrote:

I guess its a matter of 2 people reading the same thing, yet coming away with different conclusions.

However, because Jordan Matthews is likely to be the team's slot receiver and Smith is due roughly $13.2 million over the remaining three years of his contract and could be cost prohibitive.

This is the only time Mathews is mentioned in the article. It mentions that the talk at the trade deadline was solely draft picks for Smith being discussed. The potential "player for player" hypothetical was made after talking about how the team will likely not want to part with draft picks, shadowing on the weak WR free agent class, and how Philly doesn't have much cap space. This was several paragraphs after Mathews was mentioned. To me that says because of their situation they should look to explore player for player trades as a generic option.

While I would love a Mathews for Smith trade to happen, I don't think that was ever in the discussion nor ever will be. It makes no sense for a team looking to upgrade at WR to trade its best player at the position for a worse more expensive one.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#6 » by Dodub » Sun Feb 5, 2017 2:48 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:

I guess its a matter of 2 people reading the same thing, yet coming away with different conclusions.

However, because Jordan Matthews is likely to be the team's slot receiver and Smith is due roughly $13.2 million over the remaining three years of his contract and could be cost prohibitive.

This is the only time Mathews is mentioned in the article. It mentions that the talk at the trade deadline was solely draft picks for Smith being discussed. The potential "player for player" hypothetical was made after talking about how the team will likely not want to part with draft picks, shadowing on the weak WR free agent class, and how Philly doesn't have much cap space. This was several paragraphs after Mathews was mentioned. To me that says because of their situation they should look to explore player for player trades as a generic option.

While I would love a Mathews for Smith trade to happen, I don't think that was ever in the discussion nor ever will be. It makes no sense for a team looking to upgrade at WR to trade its best player at the position for a worse more expensive one.

The Eagles are looking to upgrade their WR position outside of the numbers and upgrade their deep speed. Matthews offers neither of these things as he's their slot receiver. They have a big decision to make on him and frankly, I'm not sure that they're willing to give him a big contract at the moment.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 11:19 pm

Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:

The Eagles are looking to upgrade their WR position outside of the numbers and upgrade their deep speed. Matthews offers neither of these things as he's their slot receiver. They have a big decision to make on him and frankly, I'm not sure that they're willing to give him a big contract at the moment.

Of course, Smith and Mathews are different types of WR's. Still doesn't change that Philly would be beyond stupid to trade Mathews for Smith. Even if you want to argue Smith would help them on the outside, trading Mathews for him would rip open a gaping hole inside. If Philly is interested in Smith it is to put him with Mathews.

Also regarding contracts, its not like Torrey's deal would be an attractive alternative to paying Mathews for them (unless the 9ers pick up the money owed to him.) They would be much better off letting Mathews play out his last year and simply getting the compensatory pick if they let him leave.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#8 » by Dodub » Mon Feb 6, 2017 12:19 am

thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Of course, Smith and Mathews are different types of WR's. Still doesn't change that Philly would be beyond stupid to trade Mathews for Smith. Even if you want to argue Smith would help them on the outside, trading Mathews for him would rip open a gaping hole inside. If Philly is interested in Smith it is to put him with Mathews.

Also regarding contracts, its not like Torrey's deal would be an attractive alternative to paying Mathews for them (unless the 9ers pick up the money owed to him.) They would be much better off letting Mathews play out his last year and simply getting the compensatory pick if they let him leave.

I don't think you fully understand their situation, they have tons of guys who can work as a slot but nothing on the outside so it wouldn't rip a whole inside.

They ARE going to get a WR this offseason who will be their #1 target on the outside. Matthews isn't going to be their #1 option but at this point he will likely require a big contract.

There's debate going on as to if they will even extend him at all. If you have a guy that you aren't sure fits into your future then why not get a player that fits a gigantic need on several fronts? Eagles aren't in a win now mode.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#9 » by Dodub » Mon Feb 6, 2017 12:19 am

thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I don't think you fully understand their situation, they have tons of guys who can work as a slot but nothing on the outside so it wouldn't rip a whole inside.

They ARE going to get a WR this offseason who will be their #1 target on the outside. Matthews isn't going to be their #1 option but at this point he will likely require a big contract.

There's debate going on as to if they will even extend him at all. If you have a guy that you aren't sure fits into your future then why not get a player that fits a gigantic need on several fronts? Eagles aren't in a win now mode.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#10 » by RedneckNiner » Mon Feb 6, 2017 6:45 am

If the Eagles were willing to give up a 5th Id pish for a 4th.... but I would settle for the 5th. And O would prefer the pick to a player. Its time to rebuild and the more draft picks the better.. either for players or to trade for draft position.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#11 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 6, 2017 1:59 pm

Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:

I'm aware of their situation enough to realize that trading Jordan Mathews for Torrey Smith doesn't help them.

1) Just because they have other guys that "can" play in the slot doesn't mean any of them are nearly as good as Mathews
2) For a team with a sketchy cap situation, trading a cheap player for an extremely overpriced one makes no sense
3) Lets say they wanted to trade Mathews, they would be much better off trading a pick for Smith, then moving Mathews in a different trade which would get them a better pick than what they gave for Smith
4) Even if they let Mathews walk next year, depending on what else they do, the compensatory pick they would receive would probably be higher than the pick it would take to get Smith
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#12 » by DoobieKeebler » Mon Mar 6, 2017 11:06 pm

Looks like we wont have to worry about those rumors coming back up any more

Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#13 » by NinerSickness » Tue Mar 7, 2017 6:14 am

I Said Torrey was a stupid signing from the beginning.

Baalke was riding Jim Harbaugh's coat tails. He sucked. Imagine what Jim could've done w/ a competent GM. Image
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#14 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Mar 7, 2017 12:23 pm

NinerSickness wrote:I Said Torrey was a stupid signing from the beginning.

Baalke was riding Jim Harbaugh's coat tails. He sucked. Imagine what Jim could've done w/ a competent GM. Image

It started with the AJ Jenkins pick, letting Delanie Walker and Ted Ginn go; etc. These were all moves that most of us were totally against as soon as he made them.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#15 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Mar 7, 2017 4:56 pm

The worst for me was not taking WRs the year the draft was freaking loaded with them.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#16 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Thank you Trent Baalke for not doing something to help the team in the future by trading Torrey Smith for something of value, but also for not being shy to do something to hurt the future of the team in going ahead and signing Vance to the undeserved extension.

Return to San Francisco 49ers