Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Zion Williamson 

Post#81 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:21 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Athletically or overall game? Because I think there game is nothing alike.

Who has a game when they're in HS that doesn't change significantly? I'm talking about their abilities and skills.

I think you can get a good feel on how someone plays the game when theyre in high school. I think Zion is the far superior athlete and higher basketball IQ than Stanley at that age and I think Stanley had the better offensive skill set.

Thanks. As an example of what I was getting at is - the 2 games I saw Wiggins play in HS, he played mostly low post offense.

And based on what Stanley's done in the NBA, I'm not sure what game he's got. Whatever it is, he better get a lot better at it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#82 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 3, 2017 4:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Who has a game when they're in HS that doesn't change significantly? I'm talking about their abilities and skills.

I think you can get a good feel on how someone plays the game when theyre in high school. I think Zion is the far superior athlete and higher basketball IQ than Stanley at that age and I think Stanley had the better offensive skill set.

Thanks. As an example of what I was getting at is - the 2 games I saw Wiggins play in HS, he played mostly low post offense.

And based on what Stanley's done in the NBA, I'm not sure what game he's got. Whatever it is, he better get a lot better at it.

I really liked Stanley as a prospect but he is one of those guys thats kind of a jack of all trades and master of none and to me those can be tricky prospects. Hes a good athlete but not great, solid offensive skills but not enough to rely on, good defender but not game changer either. He doesnt have that one thing that you can say he can fall back on an rely on. Unlike say Justise who he always gets compared too. Justise has that one elite skill to fall back on, hes an elite defender. You knew when drafting him worst case he was another MKG and a guy that could guard 1-4. I always like the prospects that have that one skill or attribute that is truly elite.

Zion is elite in 2 areas in my opinion. Of course #1 is his athleticism, that athleticism and explosion should be enough for him to fall back on and should help erase freshman and rookie mistakes when he gets to college and the NBA. The other thing I think hes elite in and I preach this a lot for those who have only watched his highlights, his IQ/feel for the game offensively. He never takes bad shots and never gets sped up. Even when he goes up against elite big men like a Wendell Carter or Ayton, he may not be able to just power jam over them every play, so he adds in floaters, drop off passes and all these other moves where he always just seems to make the right move.
cksdayoff
RealGM
And1: 3,636

Post#83 » by cksdayoff » Fri Mar 3, 2017 6:27 pm

Wasn't a fan of Stanley Johnson at all in college Lack of wingspan, plays below the rim and never had a jump shot. He could bully people in HS and college because he was a tank, but he wasn't vertically explosive, and he really didn't have touch around the rim either. His potential as a good defender was apparent though
#failforfultz
MEGAQUIB
Junior
And1: 194

Post#84 » by MEGAQUIB » Sat Mar 4, 2017 7:18 pm

Looks like Julius Randle with better hops
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#85 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 6, 2017 1:05 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I really liked Stanley as a prospect but he is one of those guys thats kind of a jack of all trades and master of none and to me those can be tricky prospects. Hes a good athlete but not great, solid offensive skills but not enough to rely on, good defender but not game changer either. He doesnt have that one thing that you can say he can fall back on an rely on. Unlike say Justise who he always gets compared too. Justise has that one elite skill to fall back on, hes an elite defender. You knew when drafting him worst case he was another MKG and a guy that could guard 1-4. I always like the prospects that have that one skill or attribute that is truly elite.

Zion is elite in 2 areas in my opinion. Of course #1 is his athleticism, that athleticism and explosion should be enough for him to fall back on and should help erase freshman and rookie mistakes when he gets to college and the NBA. The other thing I think hes elite in and I preach this a lot for those who have only watched his highlights, his IQ/feel for the game offensively. He never takes bad shots and never gets sped up. Even when he goes up against elite big men like a Wendell Carter or Ayton, he may not be able to just power jam over them every play, so he adds in floaters, drop off passes and all these other moves where he always just seems to make the right move.

Caught him front row of the Duke UNC game this weekend. You guys on his radar?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#86 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 1:11 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Thanks. As an example of what I was getting at is - the 2 games I saw Wiggins play in HS, he played mostly low post offense.

Right now the latest talk is his top 3 teams at the moment is Duke, Kansas and South Carolina. Sadly I don't think he ends up at Duke though. Many believe the Adidas pull is going to be too strong and he will end up at Kansas. Or the hometown pull of SC, feel like Duke might end up being window dressing. Still hope he ends up at Duke though of course.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#87 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 6, 2017 1:19 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Right now the latest talk is his top 3 teams at the moment is Duke, Kansas and South Carolina. Sadly I don't think he ends up at Duke though. Many believe the Adidas pull is going to be too strong and he will end up at Kansas. Or the hometown pull of SC, feel like Duke might end up being window dressing. Still hope he ends up at Duke though of course.

At KU next to Udoka could be scary. Might push Bragg out as well.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#88 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 6, 2017 2:42 am

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

At KU next to Udoka could be scary. Might push Bragg out as well.

KU will be very scary in 2 years if they land Zion and if Billy Preston stays for more than one year they would have a ton of talent in the front court.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#89 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:11 am

Seems like my weekly Zion update. This highlight is basically just a best of. A bunch of times when he jumps it looks like a dude jumping off a trampoline especially on some of his blocks. The height he gets at 33 seconds into the video is just ridiculous.

kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#90 » by kennydorglas » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Seems like my weekly Zion update. This highlight is basically just a best of. A bunch of times when he jumps it looks like a dude jumping off a trampoline especially on some of his blocks. The height he gets at 33 seconds into the video is just ridiculous.

Please god, let this guy do the athletic testing in the combine.
OMG
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#91 » by TheBunk » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:31 pm

His handle is actually very good
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#92 » by DrCoach » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:22 am

I like the Shawn a kemp and Larry Johnson Comparision
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#93 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:00 am

Way too many of these highlights are simple dunks or athletic plays being done against small-SC HS basketball. His (what I assume) AAU highlights are always more shooting or ball based. I'll definitely be interested to see how he plays against other athletes and size.

Right now, there is not anyone close to his size/athleticism so when he moves up, will be interesting to see.

Let's not forget how Seventh Woods was going to change the world.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#94 » by DrCoach » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:29 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Way too many of these highlights are simple dunks or athletic plays being done against small-SC HS basketball. His (what I assume) AAU highlights are always more shooting or ball based. I'll definitely be interested to see how he plays against other athletes and size.

Right now, there is not anyone close to his size/athleticism so when he moves up, will be interesting to see.

Let's not forget how Seventh Woods was going to change the world.

His AAU #'s were off the chart too

Adidas Gauntlet starts again in 1 month
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#95 » by mattao313 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:09 am

This guy is a legit freak athlete....Jesus.
Championships
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#96 » by The-Power » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 pm

DrCoach wrote:Adidas Gauntlet starts again in 1 month

Is there an overview which top recruits are expected to play in which event in AAU basketball?
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#97 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:46 am

The-Power wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Adidas Gauntlet starts again in 1 month

Is there an overview which top recruits are expected to play in which event in AAU basketball?

You would have to go to each of the big 3 sneaker AAU circuits to see or follow these guys in Twitter or IG
coletrain11
Ballboy
And1: 120

Post#98 » by coletrain11 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:15 pm

He reminds bit of Charles Barkley. The way he moves and the way he plays on fast breaks not to mention the big body.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#99 » by ItsThatEasy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Guys with that size in high school rarely end up being good pro's.

You can point to every physical specimen the NBA has seen and notice how slim they were in high school, from Shaq to LeBron. These guys are usually trim and ripped with broad shoulders that show they'll be able to carry their eventual NBA mass.

I'd love to see what Barkley looked like in high school now that I'm thinking about it. But I just can't get too excited about a kid that big already no matter his athleticism, history just shows it doesn't end well.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#100 » by jonjames » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:Guys with that size in high school rarely end up being good pro's.

You can point to every physical specimen the NBA has seen and notice how slim they were in high school, from Shaq to LeBron. These guys are usually trim and ripped with broad shoulders that show they'll be able to carry their eventual NBA mass.

I'd love to see what Barkley looked like in high school now that I'm thinking about it. But I just can't get too excited about a kid that big already no matter his athleticism, history just shows it doesn't end well.

What does that even mean? Are you referring to his body composition? A lot of the top players stand out just from the the sheer size advantage over the competition let alone the skill/athleticism. I think as long as said player can carry their own weight well it doesn't matter if they are heavier than your stereotpyical basketball build but clearly this kid can. His size hasn't deterred his athleticism at all. Maybe you're getting flashbacks of Anthony bennett?

Return to NBA Draft