How HS basketball works

Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 904

How HS basketball works 

Post#1 » by Gibson22 » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:32 pm

Hello guys, I don't know anything about HS basketball, I mean, I know who the best players are, I see there are tournaments, I saw some games and highlights, I know what the best teams are etc. But I don't know how HS basketball works, are there age categories? Cause for example I see liangelo (98) and lamelo (2001) playing on the same team. And especially I don't know if is there a High school champion, I mean is there a team that wins it all or is it based on states or is it about the most important tournaments? I mean does it work like the NCAA? And how teams choose tournaments, do they got a fixed schedule or not? How can you follow HS basketball?

As you see I'm almost totally ignorant, I'd be grateful if someone would introduce me to HS Basketball :D
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: How HS basketball works 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:38 am

lebron3-14-3 wrote:Hello guys, I don't know anything about HS basketball, I mean, I know who the best players are, I see there are tournaments, I saw some games and highlights, I know what the best teams are etc. But I don't know how HS basketball works, are there age categories? Cause for example I see liangelo (98) and lamelo (2001) playing on the same team. And especially I don't know if is there a High school champion, I mean is there a team that wins it all or is it based on states or is it about the most important tournaments? I mean does it work like the NCAA? And how teams choose tournaments, do they got a fixed schedule or not? How can you follow HS basketball?

As you see I'm almost totally ignorant, I'd be grateful if someone would introduce me to HS Basketball :D

I couldn't answer everything, as it differs by state, but HS is from grades 9-12 in the US, so generally ages 14-18. Each state has its own championship and schools are categorized by size in each state. I'm not totally sure how scheduling works for prep schools as I don't know much on them at all, but for local schools you play within your district and maybe some invitationals if your team wants to.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 904

Post#3 » by Gibson22 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:03 pm

bondom34 wrote:
lebron3-14-3 wrote:Hello guys, I don't know anything about HS basketball, I mean, I know who the best players are, I see there are tournaments, I saw some games and highlights, I know what the best teams are etc. But I don't know how HS basketball works, are there age categories? Cause for example I see liangelo (98) and lamelo (2001) playing on the same team. And especially I don't know if is there a High school champion, I mean is there a team that wins it all or is it based on states or is it about the most important tournaments? I mean does it work like the NCAA? And how teams choose tournaments, do they got a fixed schedule or not? How can you follow HS basketball?

I couldn't answer everything, as it differs by state, but HS is from grades 9-12 in the US, so generally ages 14-18. Each state has its own championship and schools are categorized by size in each state. I'm not totally sure how scheduling works for prep schools as I don't know much on them at all, but for local schools you play within your district and maybe some invitationals if your team wants to.

Thank you
mikestar
Junior
And1: 105

Post#4 » by mikestar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:17 am

Also, if junior high and high school are part of the same actual school (as is the case in my small town) then 7th and 8th graders are eligible.
Pinkipay
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Pinkipay » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:23 am

This is useful information for me

Return to High School Basketball