Departures:

Bennett
Ryan
Sheard

Re-signed:

Branch, Harmon, Develin

Free agents:

Blount, Long, Hightower

Have to get back Hightower, hope Butler stays too. Love LG, hope he stays as well.

I can't believe we got better already. If Browns are the Browns I know they'd trade #1 overall pick for Garoppolo. The money left on the cap is 30+ million. Butler could leave though, not sure the Patriots would match any 10+ million per year offer for him. But we'd get a 1st rounder.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Re: OT - Patriots are having a monster offseason so far 

Post#2 » by Kalela » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:52 am

I hope they resign Blount. Favorite player on that team.
Fire Mazzulla
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,261

Post#3 » by Froob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:04 am

Get High and Butler back and wow...I hate giving up so much for Cooks but that's a hell of a pickup. Hope he fits. We always get big time players in the first round.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,050

Post#4 » by London2Boston » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:28 am

Gonna need Oracle Froob's opinion before I place any bets.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,261

Post#5 » by Froob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:31 am

London2Boston wrote:Gonna need Oracle Froob's opinion before I place any bets.

A second dynasty is on the way, going for 3 in 4 again.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#6 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:04 am

I unfortunately had to stop being a Patriots fan, now that anything good for Bill Belichick's reputation is bad for our country.

Even so, I can't help being interested in his team-building machinations. He's outstanding at it, and anyway I rooted for those guys as recently as November.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,364

Post#7 » by Homerclease » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I unfortunately had to stop being a Patriots fan, now that anything good for Bill Belichick's reputation is bad for our country.

Even so, I can't help being interested in his team-building machinations. He's outstanding at it, and anyway I rooted for those guys as recently as November.

What does that even mean?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#8 » by jfs1000d » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:13 pm

Froob wrote:
London2Boston wrote:Gonna need Oracle Froob's opinion before I place any bets.

A second dynasty is on the way, going for 3 in 4 again.

Probably not. This is one final reload for tom Brady's final 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#9 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:30 am

Homerclease wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:I unfortunately had to stop being a Patriots fan, now that anything good for Bill Belichick's reputation is bad for our country.

Bill Belichick personally put his reputation behind Trump's claim that, when the media reported on Trump's wrongdoing, they were the liars rather than Trump.

That messaging of Trump's, and its widespread acceptance, is one of the most damaging things that has ever happened to our democracy. I hope that Donald Trump Sr., Donald Trump Jr., Steve Bannon, Sean Hannity and everybody else complicit in that fall into and stay in disgrace for the rest of their lives, starting as soon as possible. Bill Belichick is included on that list.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#10 » by Homerclease » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:09 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Bill Belichick personally put his reputation behind Trump's claim that, when the media reported on Trump's wrongdoing, they were the liars rather than Trump.

That messaging of Trump's, and its widespread acceptance, is one of the most damaging things that has ever happened to our democracy. I hope that Donald Trump Sr., Donald Trump Jr., Steve Bannon, Sean Hannity and everybody else complicit in that fall into and stay in disgrace for the rest of their lives, starting as soon as possible. Bill Belichick is included on that list.

Coming from a Giants fan, that's ridiculous and you were never really a pats fan to begin with. Sorry.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#11 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:46 am

Homerclease wrote:
Homerclease wrote:What does that even mean?

Coming from a Giants fan, that's ridiculous and you were never really a pats fan to begin with. Sorry.

I think it's more likely that you're not a patriotic (no pun intended) American.

The well-being of my country (and of the world) are more important to me than are spectator sports. Your priorities seem to be different.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#12 » by Homerclease » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:52 am

Homerclease wrote:

I think it's more likely that you're not a patriotic (no pun intended) American.

The well-being of my country (and of the world) are more important to me than are spectator sports. Your priorities seem to be different.

Sports and politics have nothing to do with eachother. The fact that you can't separate the two is your own problem, regardless of people's opinions on whatever policy you may choose. The fact you can't follow the pats because someone shares a different political viewpoint is a joke. Childish even.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#13 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Coming from a Giants fan, that's ridiculous and you were never really a pats fan to begin with. Sorry.

Sports and politics have nothing to do with eachother. The fact that you can't separate the two is your own problem, regardless of people's opinions on whatever policy you may choose. The fact you can't follow the pats because someone shares a different political viewpoint is a joke. Childish even.

You misunderstood me. My biggest issue is not that he disagrees with me. Rather, it's that he told damaging lies to the public, supposedly based on his personal knowledge. I.e, he is using his well-earned good reputation to damage the country, dishonestly.

It is true that, as a general rule, I have very little respect for any Trump supporter. But I can make an exception for the guy's personal friends, such as Kraft, Belichick and Brady. Besides, Kraft and Brady did the right thing -- admitted their friendship, but didn't turn it into outright political endorsement.

What I can't accept is Belichick's personal contribution to one of the biggest problems of Trump's ascendancy -- the vilification of truth itself. I want Belichick's reputation to diminish as quickly as possible, and hence I want the Pats to fail.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#14 » by Homerclease » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Homerclease wrote:

You misunderstood me. My biggest issue is not that he disagrees with me. Rather, it's that he told damaging lies to the public, supposedly based on his personal knowledge. I.e, he is using his well-earned good reputation to damage the country, dishonestly.

It is true that, as a general rule, I have very little respect for any Trump supporter. But I can make an exception for the guy's personal friends, such as Kraft, Belichick and Brady. Besides, Kraft and Brady did the right thing -- admitted their friendship, but didn't turn it into outright political endorsement.

What I can't accept is Belichick's personal contribution to one of the biggest problems of Trump's ascendancy -- the vilification of truth itself. I want Belichick's reputation to diminish as quickly as possible, and hence I want the Pats to fail.

By writing a private letter to a friend? That's a leap the size of the Grand Canyon. Especially after you just put a guy on blast on our forum for extrapolating Ainges thoughts on how a deadline acquisition would fit with the team.

I'm a liberal and i was a sanders guy, I have no love for trump but it's this kind of liberalism that gives the entire cause a bad name.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#15 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Sports and politics have nothing to do with eachother. The fact that you can't separate the two is your own problem, regardless of people's opinions on whatever policy you may choose. The fact you can't follow the pats because someone shares a different political viewpoint is a joke. Childish even.

By writing a private letter to a friend? That's a leap the size of the Grand Canyon. Especially after you just put a guy on blast on our forum for extrapolating Ainges thoughts on how a deadline acquisition would fit with the team.

I'm a liberal and i was a sanders guy, I have no love for trump but it's this kind of liberalism that gives the entire cause a bad name.

It was public, meant to be read at a political rally and reported in the press. BB confirmed that shortly after the occasion.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#16 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 am

Homerclease wrote:

I may have missed something but when did BB "personally put his reputation behind Trump's claim that, when the media reported on Trump's wrongdoing, they were the liars rather than Trump."?

Below are the exact words of his letter and many liberals who feel Trump is a liar would concede what BB said about media bias can also very very true as well. Something like 95-98%+ of the newspapers tracked endorsed HRC. I acknowledge that Trump during the campaign told more lies than HRC. But that doesn't mean the media can't still be heavily biased against Trump in calling him a fascist et cetera and pretty much lying/wildly exaggerating about what he is likely to do.

"Congratulations on a tremendous campaign. You have dealt with an unbelievable slanted and negative media, and have come out beautifully – beautifully. You’ve proved to be the ultimate competitor and fighter. Your leadership is amazing. I have always had tremendous respect for you, but the toughness and perseverance you have displayed over the past year is remarkable. Hopefully tomorrow’s election results will give the opportunity to make America great again. Best wishes for great results tomorrow.

Bill"

He is clearly supporting Trump and wishing him well but at the same time not stating a clear Trump lie is the truth and at least in that note he isn't stating that Trump hasn't lied during the campaign himself.

This is what BB said afterwords.

“Our friendship goes back many years,” Belichick said at a news conference. “Anybody who spends more than five minutes with me knows I’m not a political person. My comments are not politically motivated. I have a friendship with Donald.”

Trump told supporters at a New Hampshire rally Monday night that he had the support of both Belichick and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

“I write hundreds of letters and notes every month. It doesn’t mean I agree with every single thing a person thinks about politics, religion and other subjects,” Belichick said. “I have multiple friendships that are important to me. That’s what that is all about. It’s not about politics. It’s about football. We have a huge football game this week against a great team, a great organization. That’s where it all is going forward.”

“I’ve received a number of inquiries relative to a note that I wrote to Donald on Monday,” he said. “Our friendship goes back many years and I think anybody that’s spent more than five minutes with me knows I’m not a political person. The comments are not politically motivated, I have a friendship and loyalty to Donald.

“[A] couple of weeks ago, we had Secretary of State [John] Kerry in our locker room. That’s another friend of mine. I can’t imagine two people with more different political views than those two, but to me friendship and loyalty is just about that. It’s not about political or religious views.

“I write hundreds of letters and notes every month. [It] doesn’t mean I agree with every single thing that every person thinks about politics, religion or other subjects. I have multiple friendships that are important to me. That’s what that was about.

“It’s not about politics, it’s about football. We’ve got a huge game this week against a great football team and a great organization . . .”

Truth is Trump can be a liar and the media can be heavily biased against him as well and also be printing a bunch of misleading stories. Most mainstream media members are liberal and they tend to be biased towards that point of view. Trump tells more outright lies as a percentage of his statements than the mainstream media. I won't deny that but the media usually slants the coverage to favor Democrats but in this election it was to such a large degree that even something like 40% of Dems when polled said the media was favoring her with the coverage.

And yes Hannity/Limbaugh et cetera are all heavily biased to the Republicans but at least in their defense, they don't pretend to be impartial when they obviously are not. A liberal like Rachel Maddow probably doesn't really pretend either but a bunch of CNN/NY Times/Washington Post people do.

And for the record, it really isn't even clear if BB truly wanted to make his letter public. He may have sent it at the last second hoping Trump wouldn't use it but just wanting to be on the record wishing his friend good luck and supporting him. Trump then possibly calls him up and asks can I mention the letter in a campaign rally and its hard to say no to that if you really are his friend.

Let's face it if he really wanted to support him as much as possible, he campaigns with him like Bobby Knight did in the summer.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#17 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:What does that even mean?

I may have missed something but when did BB "personally put his reputation behind Trump's claim that, when the media reported on Trump's wrongdoing, they were the liars rather than Trump."?

Below are the exact words of his letter and many liberals who feel Trump is a liar would concede what BB said about media bias can also very very true as well. Something like 95-98%+ of the newspapers tracked endorsed HRC. I acknowledge that Trump during the campaign told more lies than HRC. But that doesn't mean the media can't still be heavily biased against Trump in calling him a fascist et cetera and pretty much lying/wildly exaggerating about what he is likely to do.

"Congratulations on a tremendous campaign. You have dealt with an unbelievable slanted and negative media, and have come out beautifully – beautifully.

Total lie, destructive to our country, which evidently has even ensnared you. Whatever its bias or other flaws, the media didn't hit Trump hard ENOUGH. Claiming that the dishonesty or dangers of Clinton and Trump are comparable is an intellectual and/or moral failure. In the case of BB, I judge it to be more on the moral side. In your case, I'm guessing it to be more intellectual.

And for the record, it really isn't even clear if BB truly wanted to make his letter public. He may have sent it at the last second hoping Trump wouldn't use it but just wanting to be on the record wishing his friend good luck and supporting him. Trump then possibly calls him up and asks can I mention the letter in a campaign rally and its hard to say no to that if you really are his friend.

“If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country.”
-- E. M. Forster

Well, Trump may be BB's friend, but he isn't mine. If BB chooses betraying his country -- and indeed betraying the last 300 years of human progress -- over not helping his friend politically, fine. But I want him to fail. I want Ivanka Trump's businesses to fail in a humiliating way. Ditto Jared Kushner's. I want nothing but bad to happen to the public reputation of those who use their reputation to generally oppose logic and facts.

I suspect that we're going pretty far afield for a sports message board, but that's the essence of it.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#18 » by truth18 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Homerclease wrote:

No one cares. This is sports. The people that made your car and the clothes on your back are horrible people as well, who created horrific environments to create said products. Idk if you are vegan or not, but if you eat meat, there are a lot of criminal and horrible moral issues surrounding the industry. Are you going to start making your own clothes, start riding a bike, and stop eating meat too?

You don't want to follow the Pats anymore? Cool. No one cares, no need to shout it from the rooftops.

I despise this administration, I support Bill and Tom as Patriots, nothing more, as I always have. Until they murder someone like Hernandez, I could give one **** about their politics beyond occasionally calling them fools for supporting him when the issue comes up among friends.

You want to change the world for the better? PM me. There's a lot of concrete, real world actions that you can take. I can give you links/phone numbers if you'd like.

Also, you realize we have a bunch of guys not going to the Whitehouse, right? Does that mean Trump supporters should/will stop following the team?
YOU LOSE
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:26 pm

truth18 wrote:You want to change the world for the better? PM me. There's a lot of concrete, real world actions that you can take. I can give you links/phone numbers if you'd like.

Evidently you think you know how I spend all my time and all my money, and you think I'm not doing enough to help people.

How did you get all that information about me?
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#20 » by truth18 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:32 pm

truth18 wrote:You want to change the world for the better? PM me. There's a lot of concrete, real world actions that you can take. I can give you links/phone numbers if you'd like.

Evidently you think you know how I spend all my time and all my money, and you think I'm not doing enough to help people.

How did you get all that information about me?

Nah, bruh, you're assuming I think that. I said nothing of the sort. Not everyone in the world knows how to get started/involved with this stuff and I was simply offering a helping hand if you needed one.

My apologies if it didn't come across that way though. Not my intention, hell, you could be doing way more than me. My intention was simply to point out that not supporting the Patriots anymore does nothing at all in terms of making the world or country better in any way, in contrast to the numerous other ways one can better the world (which you may be doing, as I clarified above).

One of my good friend's girlfriend's family is highly conservative. They stopped eating Oreos when they moved their factories to Mexico, now they eat Hydrox. That won't get rid of the Mexican people in their town like they want, it won't change the fact that Oreos are delicious, and it won't bring back jobs to America. They can do whatever they want but best believe I don't give a **** and no one else does either.

I find dropping the Patriots to be a similar case, but either way, the one thing we can be sure of is that other people don't care what you think on this matter.
YOU LOSE

Return to New England Patriots