Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

2017 Spring Training 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Prospects Going Yard 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:07 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: 2017 Spring Training 

Post#3 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:28 am

Cody is looking real good, but we all know Gonzo is going no where anytime soon and rightfully so. but with both being lefties, we can use a right handed PH/platoon 1B in the mold of Olmedo Saenz.

I see a guy on a piss poor team outside of their 40 men roster who fits the mold. Park from Minnesota is killing it so far in early spring. I think we could have him for a mid to low range pitching prospect as they are absolutely terrible in that department. Yasiel Sierra with us eating a chunk of his future money perhaps? probably not, Im thinking Ross or Brock and that maybe too high of a cost for an essentially a bench player, but he also kills lefty pitchers.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Strike a Pose 

Post#4 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Eye on Spring Pitching 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 4, 2017 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Jinxed or Signs of Encouragement? 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Sun Mar 5, 2017 4:49 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Striking Up a Conversation 

Post#7 » by Ranma » Sun Mar 5, 2017 7:02 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 6, 2017 2:05 pm

Just praying our new $48 million pitcher makes it through ST without hitting the trainer's table.

If we do, I'm fine with almost anything that happens in Arizona.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 6, 2017 9:35 pm

Scott Kazmir MRI coming up.

YAY!
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Reinvigorated Youth 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM

Post#11 » by Neddy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Scott Kazmir MRI coming up.

YAY!

Scott has no chance to make the rotation now banning multiple injuries. looking forward to see McCarthy and Ryu start the 4th and 5th spot with Urias on extended spring until one of them breaks down, with Wood starting the season as our long relief and probably get his shot when the other gets hurt again.

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I have high hopes for Yasiel... hope this is the year he breaks through.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Deadspin Tweets 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 am

Reported that there is buzz around spring training that Walker Buehler is looking fantastic.

I expect him to rise up lists this year as I said before...

And I expect him to be worth the wait/TJS/Investment

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ranma
RealGM

Looking Back at Buehler's Drafting 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Reported that there is buzz around spring training that Walker Buehler is looking fantastic.

Admittedly, I wasn't particularly high on Buehler when we drafted him as I was leaning toward then prep prospect Mike Nikorak between the two at the time, but I certainly wasn't opposed to drafting him as I thought we got great value where we selected him 24th overall in 2015. Kyle Funkhouser at 35th overall, on the other hand, was a different story.

Buehler's uptick in velocity has generated some excitement in his standing with his TJS concerns prior to the draft allowing us to get a possible steal now. The funny thing is that for an older prospect as a college pitcher with pitchability, he now has one of the highest ceilings as a young arm in baseball.

My only concern with Walker Buehler is whether his arm will hold up without any lingering effects from his Tommy John surgery. I actually think Mitchell White, who is younger and also had TJS himself, is the safer prospect, but Buehler actually has the potential to be the better prospect between the two despite being the one drafted at an older age. White's age and build leads me to believe that he has a better chance of making a full recovery than Buehler does but I certainly hope both realize their full potential with the Dodgers.

In any case, I posted some Buehler stuff in the Prospects thread for the sake of organization and also thanks in part to your bringing the news to my attention, Quake.

p.s. You've mentioned before how you were fine with our developmental system when I expressed concerns over our depleted depth atop the talent chart with the graduation of both Seager and Urias. The rapid rise of Bellinger, Buehler, and Alvarez has since relieved that anxiety on my part, but remember, I only expressed concern when Verdugo and Calhoun were considered our top prospects for that brief time, especially since I view them both to be of more value to us as trade assets than long-term fixtures for the organization.

I bring it up only because I forgot to include that portion in my previous response to your aforementioned post.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Looking Back at Buehler's Drafting 

Post#15 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Reported that there is buzz around spring training that Walker Buehler is looking fantastic.

Admittedly, I wasn't particularly high on Buehler when we drafted him as I was leaning toward then prep prospect Mike Nikorak between the two at the time, but I certainly wasn't opposed to drafting him as I thought we got great value where we selected him 24th overall in 2015. Kyle Funkhouser at 35th overall, on the other hand, was a different story.

Buehler's uptick in velocity has generated some excitement in his standing with his TJS concerns prior to the draft allowing us to get a possible steal now. The funny thing is that for an older prospect as a college pitcher with pitchability, he now has one of the highest ceilings as a young arm in baseball.

My only concern with Walker Buehler is whether his arm will hold up without any lingering effects from his Tommy John surgery. I actually think Mitchell White, who is younger and also had TJS himself, is the safer prospect, but Buehler actually has the potential to be the better prospect between the two despite being the one drafted at an older age. White's age and build leads me to believe that he has a better chance of making a full recovery than Buehler does but I certainly hope both realize their full potential with the Dodgers.

In any case, I posted some Buehler stuff in the Prospects thread for the sake of organization and also thanks in part to your bringing the news to my attention, Quake.

p.s. You've mentioned before how you were fine with our developmental system when I expressed concerns over our depleted depth atop the talent chart with the graduation of both Seager and Urias. The rapid rise of Bellinger, Buehler, and Alvarez has since relieved that anxiety on my part, but remember, I only expressed concern when Verdugo and Calhoun were considered our top prospects for that brief time, especially since I view them both to be of more value to us as trade assets than long-term fixtures for the organization.

I bring it up only because I forgot to include that portion in my previous response to your aforementioned post.

We weren't in different places imo.

I think we viewed the actual position we were in at that present moment the same. Any farm losing Seager and Urias is going to take a dip. I think my position was that Alvarez and Buehler are going to shoot up the charts and change the narrative rather quickly. I don't think you disagreed there. I think you were just patiently waiting. Correct me if I'm wrong. Looks good so far at this point with all the writers gawking over them but let's see what the season holds. I do have concern about Buehler's arm just like anyone else would.
Ranma
RealGM

Respective Organizational Developmental Depth Assessment 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I think we viewed the actual position we were in at that present moment the same. Any farm losing Seager and Urias is going to take a dip. I think my position was that Alvarez and Buehler are going to shoot up the charts and change the narrative rather quickly. I don't think you disagreed there. I think you were just patiently waiting. Correct me if I'm wrong. Looks good so far at this point with all the writers gawking over them but let's see what the season holds. I do have concern about Buehler's arm just like anyone else would.

Yeah, I agree we were/are on the same page for the most part, except that I believe you and Neddy value Verdugo and Calhoun higher than I do. There was little doubt Alvarez and Bellinger were going to surpass both of them in the rankings eventually but they each made faster progress than I anticipated. Buehler's rapid rise was a total but pleasant surprise.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#17 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Yeah, I value Verdugo pretty high. A guy with his kind of tools isn't just trade bait to me. His other issues may put him into that stratosphere but there's no doubt to me if he was viewed as a Jeter/Seager-Type, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I think we agree on Calhoun.
He's fat, without a position and doesn't have any tools outside of his hit/power tool imo.
Trade bait.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#18 » by Neddy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 am

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:I think we viewed the actual position we were in at that present moment the same. Any farm losing Seager and Urias is going to take a dip. I think my position was that Alvarez and Buehler are going to shoot up the charts and change the narrative rather quickly. I don't think you disagreed there. I think you were just patiently waiting. Correct me if I'm wrong. Looks good so far at this point with all the writers gawking over them but let's see what the season holds. I do have concern about Buehler's arm just like anyone else would.

Yeah, I agree we were/are on the same page for the most part, except that I believe you and Neddy value Verdugo and Calhoun higher than I do. There was little doubt Alvarez and Bellinger were going to surpass both of them in the rankings eventually but they each made faster progress than I anticipated. Buehler's rapid rise was a total but pleasant surprise.

Alex is raw. but he is talented. his slight lack of athleticism is more than made up with his baseball IQ and natural instint. wish he stayed as a lefty pitching prospect, but understand his desire to play everyday.

Quake Griffin wrote:Yeah, I value Verdugo pretty high. A guy with his kind of tools isn't just trade bait to me. His other issues may put him into that stratosphere but there's no doubt to me if he was viewed as a Jeter/Seager-Type, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I think we agree on Calhoun.
He's fat, without a position and doesn't have any tools outside of his hit/power tool imo.
Trade bait.

probably.

but there also is a room for a utility role ( although poorly, regarding his defense) and don't forget, it has been a long time since this team had a professional pinch hitter. Dave Hanson and Olmedo Saenz come to mind. young players rarely excel in that role as they need to play everyday to get in rythme, but if there ever was a kid who could handle the pressure of being a pinch hitter along with inconsistent at bats given, this kid is the closest thing to being just that. I love, LOVE his natural ability to hit. being short, also don't forget, shortens the strike zone for the pitchers. when you are in a pinch and the pitchers are sweating, guys like Matt Stairs shines the most. Calhoun is built just like Matt. short and stocky, hits with power and has a great, natural swing.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#19 » by Neddy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:09 am

and oh, guys, I am flying over to Arizona on Thursday. making my annual pilgrimmage to our springtraining facility. I'll give you guys an upclose and personal "scouting report" lol.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Calhoun's Organizational Value and Path 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:17 am

Neddy wrote:but there also is a room for a utility role ( although poorly, regarding his defense) and don't forget, it has been a long time since this team had a professional pinch hitter. Dave Hanson and Olmedo Saenz come to mind. young players rarely excel in that role as they need to play everyday to get in rythme, but if there ever was a kid who could handle the pressure of being a pinch hitter along with inconsistent at bats given, this kid is the closest thing to being just that. I love, LOVE his natural ability to hit. being short, also don't forget, shortens the strike zone for the pitchers. when you are in a pinch and the pitchers are sweating, guys like Matt Stairs shines the most. Calhoun is built just like Matt. short and stocky, hits with power and has a great, natural swing.

That's a good point in favor for Calhoun, but he has yet to prove that as of now at the Major-League level. Still, even if he did succeed in such a role, his value to the organization should still be higher in trading him than using him as our designated pinch-hitter. However, by using him as our regular reserve batter to start out his MLB career in a couple of years, it may actually showcase his hitting ability and up his trade value.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers