Bonzie Colson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,830

Bonzie Colson 

Post#1 » by TheSuzerain » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:55 pm

What do we think of his NBA prospects? Haven't seen him on any mock draft, yet I think I'd be hard pressed to name 30 guys I'd draft over him.

Obvious comparison is Draymond.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Bonzie Colson 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Can he re-work his body to the point that he can actually contest anybody defensively? if that's a possibility, then sure, has enough shooting/playmaking going for him and he is long.

He isnt nearly as tough as Draymond, that's an obvious bad comparison, can't stop anybody in the air, and gets scored over all the time, Draymond is one of the best post defenders in the game.

Colson needs to completely change his body to get full adv of whatever athleticisim he has, it's a long shot, he is likely a super good player in Europe.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#3 » by shawn_hemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:13 am

Reminds me more of Glen Davis than Draymond

He did keep ND in the game today against WVU though
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:42 am

shawn_hemp wrote:Reminds me more of Glen Davis than Draymond

He did keep ND in the game today against WVU though

Reminds me more of a frog.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,050

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 am

PJ Tucker should be his model. He is about 6'4, but he has a 7'2 wingspan. If he can guard SF's he absolutely can play in the NBA. Two years in the D-League developing his game should do the trick.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM

Post#6 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:07 am

Chuck Everett wrote:PJ Tucker should be his model. He is about 6'4, but he has a 7'2 wingspan. If he can guard SF's he absolutely can play in the NBA. Two years in the D-League developing his game should do the trick.

lol at guarding SFs, he can't even guard random 6'8 college guys on the move
he is a better shooter than Tucker but doesnt have close to the same athleticism and explosiveness.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Swanigan is more of a Draymond then Colson
No-Man
RealGM

Post#8 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:49 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Swanigan is more of a Draymond then Colson

if you take defense out sure, Swanigan can't defend nobody, got roasted by Burton
Bit's
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Bit's » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:09 pm

I don't think there's any NBA player at this moment that is similar to Bonzie Colson. He plays like a legit modern PF at offense, he can shoot from 3 and he can play inside with the same efficiency, grabs a lot of rebounds (off and def). But as Fischella said he doesn't defend very well, he's not strong and/or fast enough, and we're talking about college players competition. Besides that, he's just 6'5, he's very undersized even in modern NBA that runs a lot of small ball.

He has enough skills to play in the NBA, but his phisical limitations will be a huge obstacle for him to find a place in the league. But you never know, he still has one year at college and can develop more his body in order to get stronger and become a better defensive player, too.
Indiana Pacers!
No-Man
RealGM

Post#10 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:22 pm

He just should leave ND and hit a real weight room in a training program, either dleague or NBA if he can, ideally he gets one of those two-way contracts and can remake his body,he needs that first.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#11 » by MotownMadness » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:24 pm

What about Patrick Patterson as a comparison? PPat is also a good defender though but Colson maybe able to get to that level.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,050

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Fischella wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:PJ Tucker should be his model. He is about 6'4, but he has a 7'2 wingspan. If he can guard SF's he absolutely can play in the NBA. Two years in the D-League developing his game should do the trick.

he is a better shooter than Tucker but doesnt have close to the same athleticism and explosiveness.

When PJ Tucker was at Texas, he didn't look like an NBA player either. He worked hard to become one. You need to stop writing everyone off, just because they don't fit a prototype.

How is TJ McConnell in the NBA right now? Treveon Graham? Development is important in today's league.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
No-Man
RealGM

Post#13 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Fischella wrote:

When PJ Tucker was at Texas, he didn't look like an NBA player either. He worked hard to become one. You need to stop writing everyone off, just because they don't fit a prototype.

How is TJ McConnell in the NBA right now? Treveon Graham? Development is important in today's league.

sure is, some are outliers, I think Tucker was much worse of a shooter and that's what he had to work on mostly but was a better athlete for sure, I remember seen him, and liking him at Texas, Bonzie has more skills, just not the same athleticism.

McConnell is a gritty defensive Guard with some PnR ability that played for a coach in Miller that doesnt like PnR, couldnt showcase that at Arizona, Graham always had some skill and he is barely in the NBA honestly.

I know, havent said that Colson has no shot, but he is obviously a guy that needs a ton of work.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,717

Post#14 » by BoyzNTheHood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:16 am

Boris Diaw?
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Bit's wrote:I don't think there's any NBA player at this moment that is similar to Bonzie Colson. He plays like a legit modern PF at offense, he can shoot from 3 and he can play inside with the same efficiency, grabs a lot of rebounds (off and def). But as Fischella said he doesn't defend very well, he's not strong and/or fast enough, and we're talking about college players competition. Besides that, he's just 6'5, he's very undersized even in modern NBA that runs a lot of small ball.

He has enough skills to play in the NBA, but his phisical limitations will be a huge obstacle for him to find a place in the league. But you never know, he still has one year at college and can develop more his body in order to get stronger and become a better defensive player, too.

A while back in another thread, I compared/contrasted him to Jae Crowder - not that I think he'll be as good as Crowder - primarily because Crowder is MUCH better defensively, but people didn't believe Crowder would make the NBA, either. Crowder is 2 inches taller, significantly stronger, but Colson is longer. Basically, Colson has to learn to play the 3. Considering his toughness (both physical and mental), BBIQ, length, and touch, I think he'll make it - though not on as high a level as Crowder.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#16 » by DrCoach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Would be a great guy to grab in the 2nd rd

Return to NBA Draft