SHAQ believes the earth is FLAT.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,134

Re: SHAQ believes the earth is FLAT. 

Post#41 » by Edrees » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:44 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
Edrees wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:First thing Shaq says is that his history books lied to him, and so he's suspicious of other facts as well. That's an interesting aspect of this kind of phenomenon.

Unlike history you can test real science right now and find out for yourself

My point was that public school history books lie- in my day, they definitely preferred myth-making to real history, and the number of ways that that has come back to bite our society in the ass is pretty astounding. This may be another small example of that ass-bitin'.

Science is more "proveable" than history, but thats not the problem. The problem is the lack of rigor, investigation, critical-thinking skills, etc applied when thinking about either subject.

While this is your point(and a good one) it doesn't seem like Shaq's was point was going this far. The earth being round doesn't require much critical thinking to prove, it requires a $40 telescope to observe all the round planets around us, and a basic use of the gravity equation in a middle school physics textbook to prove a round earth is required to balance what you observe with your telescope.

There are better examples to use if you wanna teach the "don't believe things you hear just because" lesson.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#42 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:He's definitely trolling, just like Kyrie was definitely trolling, and it's not funny anymore. This thing is a month old at this point. Find a new gag.

But hey, if people actually believe that Shaq and Kyrie believe the earth is flat, maybe the joke has more mileage left in it than I thought.

Dude, have you ever saw a satire or heard sarcasm? The latter doesn't go on for minutes, and the former has clear stylistical elements. It is usually very easy to identify sarcasm when it is in the spoken word, and neither Irving, nor Shaq displayed any kind of sarcastic marks durign their speech. Not only that, but Irving reiterated when he was asked to clarify. It is very obvious that Irving is not trolling, but instead he is one of the tens of thousand ofs Americans, who actually believe that the Earth is flat.

Shaq could be trolling I guess, but based on this recording, there is a very high probability that he is serious as well. I realize that it is hard to believe that people could be this dumb, but if you do some research on the flat earth movement, you will realize that not only it is a thing, but there are a frighteningly high amount of people who believe it.

It's a bit. A bit can go on for a while -- even a lifetime (see Andy Kaufman). This particular bit has run its course for me, but if you guys are still chewing on it...
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#43 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

jonjames wrote:Shaq isn't wrong and doesn't deserved to be ridiculed..the earth is indeed flat and stationary. If we lived on a globe earth there would be curvature. Water doesn't curve its always level. The horizon is called the horizon for reason and not a "curvizon." All civilizations believed it was flat for thousands of years it wasn't until 500 years ago when copernicus introduced his heliocentric model that there was a major paradigm shift and pushed/promoted by the scientifc community.

:lol:. You should see if Shaq will bring you on staff as a writer.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#44 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Do people not understand that if you go small enough you can find straight paths on a ball.

I hope this is satire but honestly I cant even tell what is anymore.

Now we just need jordan to say it
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#45 » by ImSlower » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Yeah, Irving​ on and on with it on that radio show. There wasn't a hint of his making light of it. If anything, it seemed like his teammates baited him into talking about it to have a laugh at him. It was really awkward to listen to.

I haven't heard Shaq yet, but he is enough of an uneducated dope that I suppose he could be serious as well. I guess I was holding out a bit of hope that he was doing it to tease Kyrie.
SilverFlight
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#46 » by SilverFlight » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

danijel00
Ballboy
And1: 25

Post#47 » by danijel00 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Man, if you write ''flat earth'' on youtube and go watch some commentaries on those videos...people are really lost it these days. Flat earth and chemtrails are the stupidest theories ever and it's really amazes me how many people believe in this
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#48 » by jonjames » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

danijel00 wrote:Man, if you write ''flat earth'' on youtube and go watch some commentaries on those videos...people are really lost it these days. Flat earth and chemtrails are the stupidest theories ever and it's really amazes me how many people believe in this

It's only seems preposterous on surface due to cognitive dissonance. When one of the first things we learn since we are babies is looking at a globe earth to childhood doing science projects on planets all the way up to adulthood it become ingrained in our brains as accepting it some kind of actual "fact" when it's quite the contrary. Even if one were to question the validity of the "theory" if you look at the presented evidence of amateur balloons going up at extremely high altitudes proving no curvature or other experiments with an open mind it's quite logical and nothing out of realm of irrationality.
BucksPackers
Analyst
And1: 599

Post#49 » by BucksPackers » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

He went to LSU..............
BloodyQ
Starter
And1: 1,183

Post#50 » by BloodyQ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 pm

The only conspiracy that matters. Are all NBA players humanoid robots?

LeBron James is actually a cyborg...this guy literally believes it
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#51 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Edrees wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
Edrees wrote:
Unlike history you can test real science right now and find out for yourself

My point was that public school history books lie- in my day, they definitely preferred myth-making to real history, and the number of ways that that has come back to bite our society in the ass is pretty astounding. This may be another small example of that ass-bitin'.

Science is more "proveable" than history, but thats not the problem. The problem is the lack of rigor, investigation, critical-thinking skills, etc applied when thinking about either subject.

While this is your point(and a good one) it doesn't seem like Shaq's was point was going this far. The earth being round doesn't require much critical thinking to prove, it requires a $40 telescope to observe all the round planets around us, and a basic use of the gravity equation in a middle school physics textbook to prove a round earth is required to balance what you observe with your telescope.

There are better examples to use if you wanna teach the "don't believe things you hear just because" lesson.

Yeah I agree with you. Anyway you slice it, Shaq's got no excuse. But something simple like a $40 telescope is more or less what I meant by "investigation and rigor"- it doesn't necessarily take a lot of investigation or rigor :D

I have a feeling he's not entirely serious, but not because he knows better and is kidding, but because he hasn't thought about it and doesn't consider it worth thinking about any further. Which is stupid, but may not be the same as declaring a firm belief.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#52 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

jonjames wrote:Shaq isn't wrong and doesn't deserved to be ridiculed..the earth is indeed flat and stationary. If we lived on a globe earth there would be curvature. Water doesn't curve its always level. The horizon is called the horizon for reason and not a "curvizon." All civilizations believed it was flat for thousands of years it wasn't until 500 years ago when copernicus introduced his heliocentric model that there was a major paradigm shift and pushed/promoted by the scientifc community.

:noway:
ImSlower
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by ImSlower » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Jonjames. For the love of God. What happens to the penguins that reach the edge of the abyss on Antarctica? Just tell me. Is there a wall? Or a mist that becomes space? Or are penguins in the southern hemisphere (or, I suppose, the outer ring of your world) a creation of "They"?

Please assist. Thank you.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,134

Post#54 » by Edrees » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:31 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
Edrees wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:

Yeah I agree with you. Anyway you slice it, Shaq's got no excuse. But something simple like a $40 telescope is more or less what I meant by "investigation and rigor"- it doesn't necessarily take a lot of investigation or rigor :D

I have a feeling he's not entirely serious, but not because he knows better and is kidding, but because he hasn't thought about it and doesn't consider it worth thinking about any further. Which is stupid, but may not be the same as declaring a firm belief.

Ah I see what you mean. Valid point then
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Post#55 » by robbie84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm

so has shaq confirmed this was trolling or is he really a moron?
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#56 » by jonjames » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:39 pm

ImSlower wrote:Jonjames. For the love of God. What happens to the penguins that reach the edge of the abyss on Antarctica? Just tell me. Is there a wall? Or a mist that becomes space? Or are penguins in the southern hemisphere (or, I suppose, the outer ring of your world) a creation of "They"?

Yes, we live inside a firmament or dome. The whole ships will fall of the face earth narrative is impossible because the oceans and landmass are surrounded by the artic ring or aka Antarctica. We are not allowed to explore beyond the entry tourism point of antartica anything further will be met at gunpoint and asked to turn around by military guards. Antartica of course is agreed upon by all nations from the treaty that says no nation can claim it as their own terriotry. However we know that it's a huge site for military bases. They all know at some point near the edge will come to a dead end...the firmament. It also explains why the space shuttles that have launched unsuccessfully the past 50 years have mysteriously exploded in the sky bc once it got to high altitude it hit the dome. Basically the more you peel off the layers the more you realize that other events never happened aka satellites orbiting in outer space, man on the moon etc.
HotTubMike
Veteran
And1: 4,166

Post#57 » by HotTubMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:41 pm

jonjames wrote:
ImSlower wrote:Jonjames. For the love of God. What happens to the penguins that reach the edge of the abyss on Antarctica? Just tell me. Is there a wall? Or a mist that becomes space? Or are penguins in the southern hemisphere (or, I suppose, the outer ring of your world) a creation of "They"?

Yes, we live inside a firmament or dome. The whole ships will fall of the face earth narrative is impossible because the oceans and landmass are surrounded by the artic ring or aka Antarctica. We are not allowed to explore beyond the entry tourism point of antartica anything further will be met at gunpoint and asked to turn around by military guards. Antartica of course is agreed upon by all nations from the treaty that says no nation can claim it as their own terriotry. However we know that it's a huge site for military bases. They all know at some point near the edge will come to a dead end...the firmament. It also explains why the space shuttles that have launched unsuccessfully the past 50 years have mysteriously exploded in the sky bc once it got to high altitude it hit the dome. Basically the more you peel off the layers the more you realize that other events never happened aka satellites orbiting in outer space, man on the moon etc.

This is awesome. Please keep posting!
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#58 » by Heej » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 pm

This is just a concerted media effort to distract us from the infinitely more plausible hollow earth theory and all the strange things happening in Antarctica.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
ImSlower
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by ImSlower » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 am

jonjames wrote:

The penguins are a lie? But, but, I just watched Planet Earth II and they were ADORABLE!
Z Cabarkapa
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#60 » by Z Cabarkapa » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am

jonjames wrote:

This is great!!!! My father is a pilot who claims to have flown to Australia by going East and by going West. Clearly not true. Is there an east and west, sunrise, sunset? How does the round dome keep some of the earth dark and some light at the same time and not reflect the light to everywhere? So fascinating - I wanna hear more

Return to The General Board