ImageImageImageImageImage

AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT...

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#81 » by wco81 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:55 pm

If he's a good player, fine.

But when you keep drafting DL high in 3 consecutive years, that probably means you're going to let some of them go after their rookie contracts? They can't all command over $10 million a year.

Hope it doesn't turn out like the Lions under Millen drafting WR after WR for several drafts, with top 10 picks.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#82 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:47 pm

The hype on Thomas is the highest. He's shot all they way up to #2. Unreal. I'd be pretty uncomfortable taking him at 2 and that has nothing to do with the Oregon bros. I want a sack master beast if going DL at 2. Thomas doesn't scream that to me. I'm so unhappy with the value at 2. Ugh.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#83 » by Hangman_52 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Solomon Thomas is a beast. He reminds me so much of Bryant Young its uncanny. If you don't think Bryant Young was worth the second overall pick then you are crazy. Thomas will be a stud all over the defense front.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#84 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm

Read on Twitter
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#85 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Thomas is the flavor of the month. Lets see who shows up in April.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Hangman_52 wrote:Solomon Thomas is a beast. He reminds me so much of Bryant Young its uncanny. If you don't think Bryant Young was worth the second overall pick then you are crazy. Thomas will be a stud all over the defense front.

Bryant Young wasn't an undersized 43 DT though. He was 290ish

Thomas is in the 270s. I don't see him as an ideal 43 DT. We already have Buckner and Armstead. We already have positional overlap. What we don't have is a bonfide pass rushing end who can also stand up or a long term big run stuffer.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#87 » by Hangman_52 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:49 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
Hangman_52 wrote:Solomon Thomas is a beast. He reminds me so much of Bryant Young its uncanny. If you don't think Bryant Young was worth the second overall pick then you are crazy. Thomas will be a stud all over the defense front.

Thomas is in the 270s. I don't see him as an ideal 43 DT. We already have Buckner and Armstead. We already have positional overlap. What we don't have is a bonfide pass rushing end who can also stand up or a long term big run stuffer.

When he was drafted Bryant Young was in the low 280s and was considered undersized. He put on about 10 lbs and played DT at 290 for a long time. it wasn't until near the end of career he went over 300 lbs. If you check out their measurables they are very similar. And their play style too. Most people see a Justin Smith when they watch him play, but he has better pass rush moves and isn't all about power like Justin was. He has that power, but he has spins and rips. I have liked Solomon Thomas way before the combine and was shocked when he was a late first early second round pick. All he need to do is add 15 lbs.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 am

Hangman_52 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

When he was drafted Bryant Young was in the low 280s and was considered undersized. He put on about 10 lbs and played DT at 290 for a long time. it wasn't until near the end of career he went over 300 lbs. If you check out their measurables they are very similar. And their play style too. Most people see a Justin Smith when they watch him play, but he has better pass rush moves and isn't all about power like Justin was. He has that power, but he has spins and rips. I have liked Solomon Thomas way before the combine and was shocked when he was a late first early second round pick. All he need to do is add 15 lbs.

Like I said BY was 290ish. Thomas would have to throw on about 20 pounds. I'm not as optimistic about you when it comes to him still being as effective with 20 pounds thrown on his frame. I doubt much of it would be muscle as he's kind of maxed out.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#89 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 am

Solomon Thomas - DL - Cardinal

Former NFL scout John Middlekauff doesn't believes that Stanford DL Solomon Thomas is a top-five talent.

On a Bay Area radio show, Middlekauff was asked about Todd McShay’s recent mock draft that had the 49ers taking Thomas with the No. 2 overall pick. Did he agree with that selection? "I don’t," Middlekauff said. "I mean, I really like the guy. ... [but] I think sometimes, we have the NCAA Tournament going on right now, and sometimes guys can make a lot of money in the tournament when they just go nuts." That's a reference to Thomas’ dominant performance in his last college game against North Carolina, which caused his stock to spike. Thomas has also had a good pre-Draft process. Pro Football Focus has comped him to Seattle Seahawks DL Michael Bennett.
Source: knbr.com

Mar 24 - 1:48 PM
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#90 » by Jikkle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/104805-panthers-possibly-eyeing-49ers-draft-pick/

Looks like 9ers could possibly have a taker for the #2 pick.

Curious to see who the Panthers have targeted at that spot too since Garrett is all but certain to be off the board.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#92 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 2, 2017 6:09 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Read on Twitter

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/104805-panthers-possibly-eyeing-49ers-draft-pick/

Curious to see who the Panthers have targeted at that spot too since Garrett is all but certain to be off the board.

If the Niners trade down to 8, I will tar & feather Lynch. Any pick except Trubisky is a f***ing disaster. You have the chance to draft a franchise QB, you take it. :noway:

But if they trade down to 8, Malik Hooker could still be there because of his assault charge.

I wouldn't count on Hooker being there, though, my next-favourite guy is Cam Robinson. But I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't get Mitch or at least Hooker.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#93 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 2, 2017 6:27 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
Read on Twitter

If the Niners trade down to 8, I will tar & feather Lynch. Any pick except Trubisky is a f***ing disaster. You have the chance to draft a franchise QB, you take it. :noway:

But if they trade down to 8, Malik Hooker could still be there because of his assault charge.

I wouldn't count on Hooker being there, though, my next-favourite guy is Cam Robinson. But I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't get Mitch or at least Hooker.

Hey Sick, that surveillance video is of Joe Mixon. Not Malik Hooker. Malik Hooker, the ballhawking safety that plays for the Ohio State Buckeyes, has a clean criminal background from what I know.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#94 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 2, 2017 6:56 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Hey Sick, that surveillance video is of Joe Mixon. Not Malik Hooker. Malik Hooker, the ballhawking safety that plays for the Ohio State Buckeyes, has a clean criminal background from what I know.

Image Fail.

Thanks Bingo. I saw that on a Malik-Hooker thread & didn't read the entire thing.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#95 » by Jikkle » Sun Apr 2, 2017 7:13 pm

With #2 I can see the Browns making the trade for the second pick as I do agree that if they want a QB in this draft they'll have to trade up and grab him. Without being able to trade for Jimmy G or Cousins I don't think they can afford to miss on grabbing a QB in this draft.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#96 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 4, 2017 8:47 pm

Romo stepping away from the game should enhance the value of the #2 pick. One more team out there that needs a QB.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#97 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Apr 8, 2017 3:34 pm

I seen a mock recently that projected us trading back twice in the first. From #2 to #4, with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Again from #4 to #8 with the Carolina Panthers. It was a very intriguing scenario. The only thing that was wrong with it IMO is that with all that ammunition we accumulated, we remained too passive - should have maneuvered back at the end of the first to draft Corey Davis:

ROUND ONE
1. CLE- Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M
2. JAX- Leonard Fournette RB LSU
3. CHI- Jonathan Allen DE Alabama
4. CAR- Solomon Thomas DE Stanford
5. TEN- Malik Hooker S Ohio State
6. NYJ- Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State
7. LAC- Jamal Adams S LSU
8. SF- Reuben Foster LB Alabama
9. CIN- Dalvin Cook RB Florida State
10.BUF- O.J. Howard TE Alabama
11. NO- Taco Charlton DE Michigan
12.CLE- Mitchell Trubisky QB UNC
13.TEN- Mike Williams WR Clemson
14.PHI- Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford
15.IND- Obi Melifonwu CB UCONN
16.BAL- Cam Robinson OT Alabama
17.WAS- DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame
18.ARI- Jabrill Peppers S Michigan
19. TB- Forrest Lamp OL Western Kentucky
20.DEN- Garett Bolles OT Utah
21.DET- Marlon Humphrey CB Alabama
22.HOU- Patrick Mahomes II QB Texas Tech
23.NYG- David Njoku TE Miami FL.
24.OAK- Kevin King CB Washington
25.MIA- Haason Reddick LB Temple
26.SEA- John Ross WR Washington
27.CHI- Corey Davis WR Western Michigan
28.DAL- Derek Barnett DE Tennessee
29. GB- T.J. Watt EDGE Wisconsin
30.PIT- Jarrad Davis LB Florida
31.LAC- Deshaun Watson QB Clemson
32. NO- Adoree' Jackson CB USC

TRADES
JAX trades #4, #68 and 2018 2nd to SF for #2 and 2017 6th
CAR trades #8, #40 to SF for #4 and #109
TEN trades #18, #83 and 2017 5th to ARI for #13
HOU trades #22 and 2017 4th to MIA for #22
CHI trades #36 and #111 to KC for #27
LAC trades #38 and 2017 4th to ATL for #31
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#98 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 8, 2017 4:12 pm

I heard talk that Davis would be top 15, not bottom end of the first round.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#99 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Apr 8, 2017 10:05 pm

wco81 wrote:I heard talk that Davis would be top 15, not bottom end of the first round.

That's exactly where I expect him to go, maybe even earlier. I was just commenting on that scenario in particular, IF he so happens to slide... i would try to trade up because the Browns are enamored with him. He wouldn't last to pick #34.

Even if Davis was not there at that slot, I noticed that John Ross also slid. He would be option #2 in terms of needing a reason to trade back up in the late first to acquire him.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#100 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Leonard Fournette - RB - Tigers

Sources have suggested to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora that LSU RB Leonard Fournette is "in play" for the Browns at No. 1.

No, he is not. One, the talent does not warrant the selection. Two, Fournette does not play a cornerstone position. And three, an analytics driven front office will not make this pick, and might not even if Fournette is on the board at No. 12.
Source: CBS Sports

Apr 10 - 10:41 AM

Return to San Francisco 49ers