we need like 7 more o's
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Re: Dipsy-Doo! The Eric Collins Thread 

Post#122 » by yosemiteben » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 am

His comment about the Curry family motto was hilarious.
Flip Murray
Hornets Forum Spelling Bee
And1: 1,987

Post#123 » by Flip Murray » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:46 am

Collins has been killing it all year. Keep up the good work
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Re: LOUD NOISES!!! The Eric Collins Thread 

Post#124 » by LamarMatic7 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:59 pm

the home team - the locals;
any 13-point advantage - a baker's dozen;
a dunk is - a chin-up;
a lay-up on which one twists in the air (?) is a - dipsy-doo
someone continuing a particular streak is to - keep on keeping on
the bench - the pine
a high-arching three-pointer - moonball
perseverance - stick-to-itiviness
to discontinue pressure defense and hacking down the stretch of a game - to call off the dogs
the rim - the tin
P.J. Hairston dunk - P.J. gets his Jammies on
two made free throws out of three - the Meatloaf special
just a huge play gets a... - HOW DO YOU DOOOOO

two new ones that just had to be added.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#125 » by Snidely FC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:29 am

vs ORL tonight Collins said of Jodi Meeks, "he's looking forward to the future; he's been told the Meeks will inherit the Earth."
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#126 » by yosemiteben » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 am

Was pretty hilarious when Dell went in on Eric's hair line.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#127 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 am

"Frank Kaminsky is COLD."

He said that after he made a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
ammofan
Sophomore
And1: 38

Re: LOUD NOISES!!! The Eric Collins Thread 

Post#128 » by ammofan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm

LamarMatic7 wrote:the home team - the locals;
a dunk is - a chin-up;
the bench - the pine
to discontinue pressure defense and hacking down the stretch of a game - to call off the dogs
the rim - the tin

Didn't hear the Meatloaf Special thing lolllll. Not even sure where that came from.

Also, coach=the skipper (even tho thats def a baseball thing)
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Post#129 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:55 pm

ammofan wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:the home team - the locals;
a dunk is - a chin-up;
the bench - the pine
the rim - the tin

Didn't hear the Meatloaf Special thing lolllll. Not even sure where that came from.

Also, coach=the skipper (even tho thats def a baseball thing)

It's lyrics to Meatloaf's (the singer) song.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#130 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Is anyone not a fan of our TV crew? I legitimately think they're the best in the business and a massive upgrade from the days of Steve and Dell.
LamarMatic7

Post#131 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Is anyone not a fan of our TV crew? I legitimately think they're the best in the business and a massive upgrade from the days of Steve and Dell.

Best in the business is a bit far-fetched, in my opinion. If you want legitimately good analysis, there are crews like Minnesota's that are way better. I can imagine someone calling them the best, only if that person is solely looking for entertainment and likes their chemistry. That probably would have to be a product of just being a Charlotte fan who is used to listening to them every game.

There are way too many games where the most discussion they create as far as debating about the game is the following:

Eric - Was that a good shot right there? [referring to a transition three early in the shot clock]
Dell - No, he rushed it. As a shooter you want to get your balance before firing it up.

or

Stephanie - It's like I tell James and Ivy all the time. If you don't do your homework, you won't be able to watch TV. Team X clearly didn't do their game prep to find out that they're dealing with a great perimeter defender in MKG who'll get up in you on such a perimeter jumper.

Now, that's not to slam any of them. They're among my favorite crews in the league because of the seamless way the three of them chime in, can have a laugh about one another and just are entertaining night in, night out (the conversations about Eric's trivia findings are the best). Maybe they need to develop the flow to their analytical conversations. It's been only their second year together after all. Perhaps, Stephanie and Dell don't want to go in too deep, obviously, they're much smarter about basketball than any of us. It might even be unnecessary for them to dwell too much about X's and O's when the broadcasts are meant for the average Joe.

However, there are other crews that are good at it while staying quite listenable. So as a huge basketball fan I have to give them a bit more credit for that.

That being said, they're a pretty good crew and we should be happy about getting to listen to them when an 82-game season can tire you out in so many ways. There is a decent amount of crews that I just refuse to listen to, always opting for the other team's broadcast.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#132 » by yosemiteben » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Depth of analysis is not at all why I like them, agree there, you nailed it with the latter - I find them very entertaining and they enhance the viewing experience for me.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#133 » by Eoghan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:49 am

I still think Eric Collins is one of the worst play callers in the league and his voice is an assault to the senses. I like Steph a lot but she is growing more and more homerish, to the point that in a few seasons she might be as bad as the LAC guys. Dell is possibly the greatest color guy in the league though. His homerism is very dialed down, a rare quality of color guys that are former players of the team they're calling games for. He rarely rambles aka goes full Bill Walton and his anecdotes are humorous. His analysis may not be very in depth but he's at least very concise unlike a lot of guys that take a 5 minutes of monosyllabic analysis to say something any casual basketball fan already knows.
LamarMatic7

Post#134 » by LamarMatic7 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 am

Eoghan wrote:I still think Eric Collins is one of the worst play callers in the league and his voice is an assault to the senses. I like Steph a lot but she is growing more and more homerish, to the point that in a few seasons she might be as bad as the LAC guys. Dell is possibly the greatest color guy in the league though. His homerism is very dialed down, a rare quality of color guys that are former players of the team they're calling games for. He rarely rambles aka goes full Bill Walton and his anecdotes are humorous. His analysis may not be very in depth but he's at least very concise unlike a lot of guys that take a 5 minutes of monosyllabic analysis to say something any casual basketball fan already knows.

I can imagine that if someone saw Collins twice a season, he'd be pretty annoyed with his energy. However, I do believe that his whole shtick is intentionally overdone. He's in on the joke that his trivia can be meaningless and that some of his reactions are over-the-top. At least that's what I've taken away from the times Steph and Dell make fun of him or his guest appearance on the At The Hive podcast. He can be overly positive about the team and some particular game, yet I also don't feel like he's ever irrational about the team's strength. At least I believe that he knows that this is a .500 team he's calling games for. He's simply a local play-by-play guy who wants to live and die with them to serve the audience.

Great point about Dell. Eric does a great job at getting out random anecdotes about former players from him. Sometimes I take notes on his stories, but I almost feel like I've already forgotten all of them. Perhaps, I should go back and cut out the audio from them.

And, for the record, Bill Walton's rambling is the best thing in the world.
TheKingofSting
RealGM

Dipsy-Doo! The Eric Collins Thread 

Post#135 » by TheKingofSting » Sat Jun 3, 2017 12:46 am

Eric is calling the Atlanta Braves @ Cincinnati Reds baseball game on FS1 tomorrow afternoon (6/3). The listed start time is 3:30 pm est but that could be the pregame show. There is no way I'm missing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingofSting
RealGM

Dipsy-Doo! The Eric Collins Thread 

Post#136 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Jun 4, 2017 2:18 am

No Dipsy-Doos but lots of facts about where the players were born and played little league baseball. He also wondered why no one bunts in baseball anymore in a pretty obvious bunting situation. Matt Adams for the Braves hit a 12th inning game winning home run and Eric belts out "MATT ADAMS, WHERE YA BEEN?!?" I would like to hear Eric call some more baseball games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#137 » by Snidely FC » Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:23 pm

Coming out of halftime last night vs SA, Collins says, "Leading scorers Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb both with ten. When they talk with each other they use their Husky voices . . . "
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#138 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Nov 4, 2017 1:19 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Coming out of halftime last night vs SA, Collins says, "Leading scorers Kemba Walker and Jeremy Lamb both with ten. When they talk with each other they use their husky voices . . . "

He and Dell were on point with the dad jokes last night. 8-)

Dell entering a TV timeout after a Hornets fast break score: "Bacon sizzles to the cup!"
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#139 » by countryboi » Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:00 pm

eric collins is just corny enough that he entertains the hell out of me...he is like your favorite blanket.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
geraldwallace
Junior
And1: 271

Post#140 » by geraldwallace » Sun Nov 5, 2017 10:19 pm

Collins isn’t the most in depth guy but for someone whose played and watched basketball their whole life. I prefer someone entertaining than someone who will spend 5 minutes going in depth on a basic play

Return to Charlotte Hornets