ImageImageImageImageImage

If Boston offered Brooklyn pick

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: If Boston offered Brooklyn pick 

Post#101 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:51 pm

shtolky wrote:In mid January, before his 3's numbers slipped slightly, he was the only player in NBA HISTORY to average 2 blocks and 2 3's a game. Is that not exclusive enough for you? I am not saying he's the second coming, but you saying he's just another big who can hit threes and block shots is just absurd and illogical. You also say he has no go to moves and has poor positional defense...HE'S 21!! In year 2!! Give the kid time to get even better. I'll say it again and again, go look at other players' 2nd year stats, you'll be surprised how much better they are now.

Look at Jokic's first year, Cousins' second year, Gasol's first three years, etc. Guys improve.

No. Mofo's don't get to pick and choose. Mofo's hated Tim Hardaway JR in his second year. Where was all of this "patience" talk then? It was OK to be critical of his skill set and what he was actually showing us as a second year player but not with KP?
Greenie
RealGM

Post#102 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
wait so its not rare to see someone block 2 shots a game and make 2 3's a game in the NBA?

He's a big that can shoot and block shots.
That's not a rare skill set. You keep posting a stat though, even though dude has really no offensive go to moves and has poor positional defense.

I spoke on his skill set shown RIGHT NOW. Not stats.

Chriss is throwing up similar numbers in PHX right now too. Ask me if I care.

You have to account for some projection for KP, like any team trading for him or trading him away would as well.

As I posted before, even with that projection, IF getting the pick meant being able to go back to back at 1,2 or 2,3 in this draft, I'd really consider it, especially with another pick the following year that will be top 10 and honestly the Knicks would probably be top 12 at least as well.

Young dynamic guards\wings seems easier to get competitive around by filling in with solid if not spectacular vets at the PF\C rotation, plus the Knicks would still have a young, promising C in WHG and Melo to play at his natural position at PF, unless he is also dealt for a pick, which ensures an even worse Knicks record and ANOTHER pick, though probably late 1st as Melo would be traded to a contender.

Agreed
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,999

Post#103 » by god shammgod » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

y'all should of just been fair about melo. you created this monster. lol
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#104 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Greenie wrote:
Putting KP's defense above Marc Gasol's is a damn joke. Blocking shots does not equal defense. I know, he blocks over 2 shots a game! You love numbers so much but you're ignoring that the same guy you just called horrible on defense in Lopez averages 1.7 blocks per game...

It doesn't have to do with blocked shots either. As a big the most important thing is defending the rim and help defense (ie helping on pick and rolls and such). KP does that significantly better than Marc Gasol.

Marc Gasol is a really good defender don't get me wrong. You think KP would look better defensively with Mike Conley and Tony Allen instead of Derrick Rose?

Brook Lopez has taken strides defensively but he is no where in the atmosphere as KP on defense. Outside of block shots.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#105 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
That's not a rare skill set. You keep posting a stat though, even though dude has really no offensive go to moves and has poor positional defense.

Dude has been hot since All-Star break

17.5 pts, 7.3 rebs, 1.3 stls, 2.3 blks and hitting 1.5 threes the last 4 games.

You're touting KP's skill set as unique. I don't think it's unique because there are too many other bigs that can shoot and block a shot. If he was the only dude doing it that would be unique. It would be like calling Westbrook unique in a league littered with uber athletic, rim attacking PG's. He's good, he's simply not unique.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#106 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

god shammgod wrote:y'all should of just been fair about melo. you created this monster. lol

I just killed it. :cry:
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,688

Post#107 » by shtolky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Greenie wrote:
shtolky wrote:In mid January, before his 3's numbers slipped slightly, he was the only player in NBA HISTORY to average 2 blocks and 2 3's a game. Is that not exclusive enough for you? I am not saying he's the second coming, but you saying he's just another big who can hit threes and block shots is just absurd and illogical. You also say he has no go to moves and has poor positional defense...HE'S 21!! In year 2!! Give the kid time to get even better. I'll say it again and again, go look at other players' 2nd year stats, you'll be surprised how much better they are now.

Look at Jokic's first year, Cousins' second year, Gasol's first three years, etc. Guys improve.

No. Mofo's don't get to pick and choose. Mofo's hated Tim Hardaway JR in his second year. Where was all of this "patience" talk then? It was OK to be critical of his skill set and what he was actually showing us as a second year player but not with KP?

I'm not following your THJ narrative. What does he have to do with KP? You're saying we hated him and now he's good so we weren't patient? You're actually comparing THJ's situation to KP? Did you watch THJ play for us? Do you watch THJ now? I'm failing to see the comparison. Fans weren't patient with THJ because there was nothing to be patient about? The guys I listed all CLEARLY were very good from the start and were going to get better, like KP. THJ is just a future journeyman. And I have NO problem being critical of KP if he plays badly but to be critical of his overall game at this point given what he's done the first two years is just silly.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#108 » by mpharris36 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

wait tim hardaway showed us something in his second year? I must have missed that...
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#109 » by god shammgod » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:
god shammgod wrote:y'all should of just been fair about melo. you created this monster. lol

I just killed it. :cry:

just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist
Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#110 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Putting KP's defense above Marc Gasol's is a damn joke. Blocking shots does not equal defense. I know, he blocks over 2 shots a game! You love numbers so much but you're ignoring that the same guy you just called horrible on defense in Lopez averages 1.7 blocks per game...

It doesn't have to do with blocked shots either. As a big the most important thing is defending the rim and help defense (ie helping on pick and rolls and such). KP does that significantly better than Marc Gasol.

Marc Gasol is a really good defender don't get me wrong. You think KP would look better defensively with Mike Conley and Tony Allen instead of Derrick Rose?

Brook Lopez has taken strides defensively but he is no where in the atmosphere as KP on defense. Outside of block shots.

Dude dont waste your time. Shes the only person(and her alter ego kinglee) that thinks this.

Every gm/coach/scout knows how special kp is and can become.

Her opinion is just that an opinion. It doesnt mean ****.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#111 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Not even.
I simply said people need to stop acting as if KP has an unique skill set.

This league is filled with C's and PF's who can stretch the floor and shoot while being able to block shots.

That was it. Then came all of this other stuff.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#112 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Dude dont waste your time. Shes the only person(and her alter ego kinglee) that thinks this.

Every gm/coach/scout knows how special kp is and can become.

Her opinion is just that an opinion. It doesnt mean ****.

Just like yours.

Kinglee isn't an alter ego either. Ask a mod.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#113 » by god shammgod » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Greenie wrote:

Not even.
I simply said people need to stop acting as if KP has an unique skill set.

This league is filled with C's and PF's who can stretch the floor and shoot while being able to block shots.

That was it. Then came all of this other stuff.

hey. we cool. i don't want no problems. :lol:
Greenie
RealGM

Post#114 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 pm

mpharris36 wrote:wait tim hardaway showed us something in his second year? I must have missed that...

Just like I missed what KP was doing January and February?

Dudes was pissed at THjr for playing well down the stretch because of the tank.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#115 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

On the one hand sometimes I think KP gets a little overrated with the shotblocking and his defense needs some work, but other times it's pretty clear watching games that even when he doesn't block shots, there seems to be at least 3, and sometimes more, instances in a game where a player is going to drive and sees KP and sort of says "f*ck it". Now, does that mean players can't challenge KP and score on him? Sure. Probably a few times a game too. But I see the blocks AND the deterrence. And that he needs to get better. And the Knicks guards (mostly Rose) suck on D. And the coaching of D sucks as well, making even solid defenders like Clee and LFT look bad too.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#116 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Dkillanyk4lyf wrote:
Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

You're touting KP's skill set as unique. I don't think it's unique because there are too many other bigs that can shoot and block a shot. If he was the only dude doing it that would be unique. It would be like calling Westbrook unique in a league littered with uber athletic, rim attacking PG's. He's good, he's simply not unique.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The fuq is funny?
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#117 » by Fat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:03 pm

Greenie wrote:
j4remi wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
I don't see how that would make us any better. Ball/KP or Fultz/KP are much better fits than Ball and Fultz.

And Brown doesn't move the needle at all.

But if it's both BK picks then it's really Fultz/Ball/BK's pick (as close to guaranteed top 5 as it gets) vs Ball/KP or Fultz/KP. That extra top five pick is what really makes it intriguing along with the fact that moving KP would damn near guarantee us a cellar dweller season. Two top five picks in this draft class and potentially two top five picks in next year's draft is enticing even at the expense of KP. Granted...Boston won't do that and I have no problem keeping KP for his entire career. But both BK's picks is really enticing.

We're going to suck with or without KP next year.

Ball
Fultz
Brown
?(Melo should get the message of a pure rebuild loud and clear and waive that NTC)
Willy

...with two more top 5 picks on the way? Yes please. Yasssssssssssssssss!

We"d get abused on the defensive end on the perimeter and in the paint lol. I"d replace fultz with Jackson.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,688

Post#118 » by shtolky » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:wait tim hardaway showed us something in his second year? I must have missed that...

Just like I missed what KP was doing January and February?

Dudes was pissed at THjr for playing well down the stretch because of the tank.

No no no...they were pissed at him for ONE game...one, the Atlanta game. Why am I even still talking about THJ...
Greenie
RealGM

Post#119 » by Greenie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 pm

shtolky wrote:
Greenie wrote:OMG.

Lopez
Gasol
Jokic
Cousins
Towns
Embid

...And those are just centers. We can talk PF's too if you would like.
Bigs are shooting more threes than ever before. The dudes I listed will block your **** too.

Jokic averages 0.6 threes a game and 0.7 blocks per game. Cousins barely averages over a block a game. Don't compare KP to Embiid, a guy who literally can't stay on the floor. Towns averages barely over a 3 a game and barely over a block a game. Do you actually look at stats or do you just make stuff up hoping it's true? You comparing KP to Chriss destroys your credibility.

You're reading comprehension destroys yours. Keep posting numbers though. I'm talking skill set. Do you have to respect Jokic on the outside? Yes do you have to respect Cousins rim protection? Yes.

Go look at Chriss's stats lately since you like numbers. I even said I don't give a damn about his numbers when I said his name. We are talking skill sets and people are having a hard time following that.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#120 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

I get where you are coming from. It felt unique when he was drafted but style of play has led to an explosion of teams willing to let bigs take 3's, C's who have some level of defensive ability and others who don't. So I get the shine coming off the "Unicorn" moniker. I get it.

On the other hand, KP is blocking a full shot more a game and averaged taking at least 2 more 3's a game and makes about 2 a game, on average. Now, it's not mind boggling different, but if we were comparing 2 players and one got 4 more points and 2 more assists at guard, we'd be pretty comfortable saying that makes him better than the other guy. I was hoping KP would be a better shooter, but he's already gone up that 030% jump that Euros tend to from season one to two, so at the least KP should be a 36% or greater 3 point shooter, which is damn good for a big, especially a big where a team is comfortable letting him take 5 3's a game on average. And I bet it'll go up again next year. 38%.

Return to New York Knicks