Sindarius Thornwell

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Sindarius Thornwell 

Post#1 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Welp, I know some people are gonna catch up with him due to the Tournament and I wanted to just share some stats.

6th player since 2010 to record a +16BPM along with at least 700min (the other 5? AD, KAT, Oladipo, Delon Wright and Denzel Valentine)

If you make the cut at +9OBPM he is 2nd to Oladipo only in been a two way elite offensive player, 3rd is Kaminsky.
Oladipo did this at a younger age than Thornwell, but Valentine for example was a similar aged guy, I think at the very least with the versatility he has to his game due to strength, and the shooting ability he has unlocked this year, overall his shooting numbers are solid through the years, some high and bumps due to volume and difficulty of shooting at SC, but still alright, has to be seen as tht level of a prospect, like a vet guy that can go anywhere from late lotto to early 20s, similarly to Josh Hart and what Denzel was last year.

Also if you want to know how good he is at taking care of the ball by TOV%/(USG+ASIST%) he fares incredibly well at 0.23, for comparisons sakes DGreen and Simmons were at 0.32 at his top years in college and Chris Paul and Jimmy Butler two of the elite players, albeit with different styles at taking care of the ball, hoover around 0.18 in the NBA.

I think Thornwell is quite underrated, I dont believe he can do much on-ball, lacks 1st step, athleticism and vision to warrant that, but if we take the shot as something realistic to traslate with his strong defense, and the ability to bully some guys and get space in a pinch in some situations, bullied Kennard in the post against Duke a few times, I think a Wes Matthews type can be a possible outcome.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: Sindarius Thornwell 

Post#2 » by E-Balla » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:23 pm

I made a big post about him in the Knicks Board draft thread a few months ago. I really want him in the 2nd round. Very talented.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:31 pm

He can be a cold blooded scorer and very entertaining at times.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#4 » by kalenclayton » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:10 pm

OT just a bit, but this guy's name sounds like it is off of Key & Peele.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,242

Post#5 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Guy is good. He's a SG that has handles. He plays defense though, which makes him intriguing.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#6 » by tester551 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:25 pm

I haven't watched him yet. As a late round pick, who's better.... Thornwell or Hart?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#7 » by No-Man » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Guy is good. He's a SG that has handles. He plays defense though, which makes him intriguing.

his handles are okay but he doesnt get anywhere with them, like he doesnt have the explosivity to get around PnRs against real athletes.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#8 » by kennydorglas » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 pm

He was the main reason I picked South Carolina to defeat Duke in my bracket.
I really love him.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,481

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 pm

I don't know why but I get a Malcolm Brogdon feel with him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#10 » by Upperclass » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 pm

He reminds me of Mo Pete
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#11 » by jonjames » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm

He looks like vet out there in the college game.didn't realize he was that old he will be 24 around draft night? He has nice fundamentals especially off that triple threat and knows how to use angles to drive and create his own shot. I think he will be real nice pickup in 2nd round maybe even late 1st.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Upperclass » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:13 am

Watching Thornwell.. he plays almost exactly like TJ Warren.. Very unorthodox
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#13 » by Notanoob » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:19 am

He's certainly tough and can hit 3s but he's not exactly fast. I like him but we're talking about a UDFA who could stick around as a decent bench player.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:51 pm

I'd be scared drafting this guy. Smacks of an outlier senior season after 3 rather mediocre ones. His 3pt sample size this season is not very large.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#15 » by E-Balla » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:18 pm

EvanZ wrote:I'd be scared drafting this guy. Smacks of an outlier senior season after 3 rather mediocre ones. His 3pt sample size this season is not very large.

Its legitimate improvement not an outlier. He's shooting 36% on 2 point jumpers after being 31% last year. He's shooting 41% from deep and has been consistently shooting around 40% all year after shooting 33% last year. He's shooting 83% on FTs after being 76% last year. I'd understand if he didn't show massive improvements shooting across the board but he has.

I'd take him in the top 20 personally but he's probably going in the 2nd round which makes him a great steal. I just keep thinking of other SEC POYs that somehow weren't drafted early like Chandler Parsons and I can't see the reason why someone wouldn't take a shot with a late first.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Upperclass » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 pm

With the lack of shooting guards in the league today, I'd have zero concern in drafting this guy. His ability to score in general, score in the post and just get good shots off, isnt all that common. He's also a very good defender with super quick hands. While i dont think he'll be that great of a man2man defender in the nba, I think he'll be serviceable and will be a great team defender, and should endup a pretty good starting SG for somebody. He'd fit damn well in Philly in particular. He also seems to care about basketball and maintains a large court presence every time he's on the floor..and not just when he has the ball
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:33 am

E-Balla wrote:
EvanZ wrote:I'd be scared drafting this guy. Smacks of an outlier senior season after 3 rather mediocre ones. His 3pt sample size this season is not very large.

Its legitimate improvement not an outlier. He's shooting 36% on 2 point jumpers after being 31% last year. He's shooting 41% from deep and has been consistently shooting around 40% all year after shooting 33% last year. He's shooting 83% on FTs after being 76% last year. I'd understand if he didn't show massive improvements shooting across the board but he has.

I'd take him in the top 20 personally but he's probably going in the 2nd round which makes him a great steal. I just keep thinking of other SEC POYs that somehow weren't drafted early like Chandler Parsons and I can't see the reason why someone wouldn't take a shot with a late first.

Do you understand the meaning of "outlier"? He is shooting 34% on 3's in 4 years with 500 3PA total. This season he's hitting them at 40% on 137 3PA. That's the very definition of outlier. If you look up "outlier", you will find this guy right next to Rodney Stuckey's one good 3-pt shooting season (also very few attempts).

I'm sorry, I don't mean to rain on your hope parade. But don't tell me in the future you forgot to bring an umbrella.

(Also, 36% on 2-pt jumpers is not good. Did you think that was a good stat?)
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#18 » by doordoor123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:09 am

EvanZ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

Do you understand the meaning of "outlier"? He is shooting 34% on 3's in 4 years with 500 3PA total. This season he's hitting them at 40% on 137 3PA. That's the very definition of outlier. If you look up "outlier", you will find this guy right next to Rodney Stuckey's one good 3-pt shooting season (also very few attempts).

I'm sorry, I don't mean to rain on your hope parade. But don't tell me in the future you forgot to bring an umbrella.

2-pt jumpers are also a strong indicator of success for guards because it means they could get in the lane. Look what it did for Yogi Ferrell.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#19 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:18 am

he has improved from 3 but what he has gotten is basically space to operate and that has helped a ton to get FTs, before they couldn't use his strength to play him in a power position the same way.
I dont think he projects as a guy that creates much, so I don't care too much for the outlier Senior season, even if he is just an avg shooter having a versatile wing that can legit guard 1 through 4, 1 and 4 are a bit more high variance but he can get those assignments in a pinch, and can shoot some, plus make the extra pass and play hard, it's a solid enough piece that is worth a 1st round selection.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#20 » by No-Man » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am

EvanZ wrote:
E-Balla wrote:

again, the fact that SC has more talent has opened up his game, there is a reason why he wasnt efficient before, he isnt a guy that's gonna score against athletes, but if he can shoot at least 34-35%, like he has shown, and be a good defender, versatile, he is a rotation piece on the wings.
those players are valuable, guys that are not even rotation players still stick on the league just because they are wings.
drafting Thornwell in the 20s carries 0, literally, 0 risk.

Return to NBA Draft