Total votes: 40

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: NFC East 

Post#441 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bleu wrote:I said all of last year the thing that would doom the Cowboys is their defensive line. They desperately need to address that this offseason if they want to be viewed as a real contender in my eyes.

Not disagreeing with that at all. Even without a good DL they are still good enough to make the playoffs however they would be doomed to repeat what happen last year and what happened in 2014 in the playoffs (one and done).

I just found out we signed a T/G named Byron Bell. Do you know anything about him?

He was out last year with an ankle. Everything I read says "serviceable". Best thing it does for me is keep Collins at LG where he belongs.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,001

Post#442 » by Mr B » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Not disagreeing with that at all. Even without a good DL they are still good enough to make the playoffs however they would be doomed to repeat what happen last year and what happened in 2014 in the playoffs (one and done).

I just found out we signed a T/G named Byron Bell. Do you know anything about him?

He was out last year with an ankle. Everything I read says "serviceable". Best thing it does for me is keep Collins at LG where he belongs.

He's also HUGE for a RT. He's like 6'5" 360 lbs
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#443 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:43 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:I just found out we signed a T/G named Byron Bell. Do you know anything about him?

He's also HUGE for a RT. He's like 6'5" 360 lbs

If he can set the edge then Zeke will love him.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#444 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:25 am

Sounds like a great addition and some O-line depth.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#445 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Sounds like a great addition and some O-line depth.

Honestly I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of him. I'm thinking more of a camp body.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#446 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:33 am

Mr B wrote:

Honestly I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of him. I'm thinking more of a camp body.

So know that Leary is in Denver and Free has retired, what do you think will be the starting O-line next year besides the obvious?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#447 » by Mr B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:30 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

So know that Leary is in Denver and Free has retired, what do you think will be the starting O-line next year besides the obvious?

I think Collins ends up starting at LG and Green at RT. The obvious 3 and those two will be the starting 5 in my opinion. It will all depend on Green's health. I expect they will bring in a couple undrafted RT's (if they don't draft one) and possibly sign another vet if one gets cut June 1st. It's going to be interesting if Ryan Ramczyk is still on the board at 28.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#448 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:47 pm

its hard to figure out where exactly the Eagles should prioritize with trying to improve on defense

obvious answer is Cornerback since just about every team can theoretically get better at CB

but I think getting an OLB should be ahead of a CB. Jalen Mills actually played pretty well last year. The main reason he had some bad moments is because he was a 7th round draft pick who somehow got asked to guard the opposing best receiver week in and week out. Watch the guys he has to cover throughout this highlight, its crazy

and he always looked like he was up for the challenge. He might not have, in actuality, been up for the challenge, but at least he had good moments as well. I really like this kid moving forward, and I hope we take an edge rusher in the 1st round this year.

only problem is he lacks speed to recover if you beat him off the line of scrimmage so he might wind up as just a really good slot corner eventually. He also gets pretty physical with receivers to throw them off and negate their speed advantage. That type of CB was great about 10+ years ago. Now, you even sneeze on a WR and youre getting valled for PI
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#449 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I think Collins ends up starting at LG and Green at RT. The obvious 3 and those two will be the starting 5 in my opinion. It will all depend on Green's health. I expect they will bring in a couple undrafted RT's (if they don't draft one) and possibly sign another vet if one gets cut June 1st. It's going to be interesting if Ryan Ramczyk is still on the board at 28.

I really like Collins and agree with you on him. I just haven't made up my mind as of yet on Green. I hope it works out, but I am cautiously optimistic with him.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#450 » by Mr B » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:So know that Leary is in Denver and Free has retired, what do you think will be the starting O-line next year besides the obvious?

I really like Collins and agree with you on him. I just haven't made up my mind as of yet on Green. I hope it works out, but I am cautiously optimistic with him.

Cautious is definitely the right way to feel about Green. He played well when he was on the field and ever played really well when he filled in for Tyron Smith at LT. Dude just can't stay healthy. He was injury prone in college and has been the same way in the pro's. He seems to have a very low pain threshold.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#451 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am

shawn_hemp wrote:its hard to figure out where exactly the Eagles should prioritize with trying to improve on defense

obvious answer is Cornerback since just about every team can theoretically get better at CB

but I think getting an OLB should be ahead of a CB. Jalen Mills actually played pretty well last year. The main reason he had some bad moments is because he was a 7th round draft pick who somehow got asked to guard the opposing best receiver week in and week out. Watch the guys he has to cover throughout this highlight, its crazy

and he always looked like he was up for the challenge. He might not have, in actuality, been up for the challenge, but at least he had good moments as well. I really like this kid moving forward, and I hope we take an edge rusher in the 1st round this year.

only problem is he lacks speed to recover if you beat him off the line of scrimmage so he might wind up as just a really good slot corner eventually. He also gets pretty physical with receivers to throw them off and negate their speed advantage. That type of CB was great about 10+ years ago. Now, you even sneeze on a WR and youre getting valled for PI

Sounds like both our teams are in the same boat with that "edge rusher" need. Sure makes life less stressful for those CB's when you have one.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#452 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Jason Witten just signed a 4 year extention. I knew we would finally do something I wouldn't like. I understand freeing up a lot more cap space, but Witten is on the downside of his career and I was hoping he would be gone by the end of this upcoming season. :banghead:
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#453 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Jason Witten just signed a 4 year extention. I knew we would finally do something I wouldn't like. I understand freeing up a lot more cap space, but Witten is on the downside of his career and I was hoping he would be gone by the end of this upcoming season. :banghead:

He's still got some game... and he won't see this entire deal. And as this team gets younger, he's the kind of leader you want in the locker room.

I'm cool with it. Particularly if the end result means added defensive help.

Read on Twitter
CDior510
Junior
And1: 105

Post#454 » by CDior510 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Jason Witten just signed a 4 year extention. I knew we would finally do something I wouldn't like. I understand freeing up a lot more cap space, but Witten is on the downside of his career and I was hoping he would be gone by the end of this upcoming season. :banghead:

He's still got some game... and he won't see this entire deal. And as this team gets younger, he's the kind of leader you want in the locker room.

Read on Twitter

He's a terrific player, TE's don't become franchise players very often nowadays and he is one. He knows your team, your facility, your coach and offensive scheme. If you didn't have such pressing defensive needs, I would say to draft a TE to learn under him. He's an absolute locker guy, he plays with heart and soul. I never want to get rid of guys like this. Even though he's aging, he was still easily top 5 TE last year.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#455 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:10 am

CDior510 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Read on Twitter

He's a terrific player, TE's don't become franchise players very often nowadays and he is one. He knows your team, your facility, your coach and offensive scheme. If you didn't have such pressing defensive needs, I would say to draft a TE to learn under him. He's an absolute locker guy, he plays with heart and soul. I never want to get rid of guys like this. Even though he's aging, he was still easily top 5 TE last year.

When Parcells drafted him, he brought in Bavaro to tutor him. I absolutely loved Bavaro when he was with your heroes. So needless to say I caught on early what the feeling was about Witten by the team. He has been everything you want in a player on your team.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#456 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:18 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'm thinking part of the reason is to free up more cap space. I wonder if the other reason is Witten is expecting great things in Dallas and wants to hang around longer instead of retiring, if you catch my drift here.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#457 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Read on Twitter

I'm thinking part of the reason is to free up more cap space. I wonder if the other reason is Witten is expecting great things in Dallas and wants to hang around longer instead of retiring, if you catch my drift here.

Probably a little of both along with him knowing how he feels physically. You and I both know Witten wouldn't hang around for a paycheck.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#458 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:25 am

I think it was definitely done to free up cap space this year. It pushes more dead money down the road though.

Witten is still a very solid TE. Not as good as he once was and he does draw a lot of penalties but the good outweighs the bad. I don't see any way he finishes this contract.

The bright side is I'm hearing good things about Rico Gathers. If he does become the heir apparent to Witten it will even more solidify the fact that the 2016 draft was the greatest draft in Cowboys history.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#459 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Mr B wrote:I think it was definitely done to free up cap space this year. It pushes more dead money down the road though.

Witten is still a very solid TE. Not as good as he once was and he does draw a lot of penalties but the good outweighs the bad. I don't see any way he finishes this contract.

The bright side is I'm hearing good things about Rico Gathers. If he does become the heir apparent to Witten it will even more solidify the fact that the 2016 draft was the greatest draft in Cowboys history.

Would be hard to top '75, but I agree. Wish we had been able to stash Jackson somehow... but you can't have everything. The lynch pin to "best ever" will be Smith. If he is able to contribute, then this draft was a slam dunk.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#460 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Mr B wrote:I think it was definitely done to free up cap space this year. It pushes more dead money down the road though.

I don't disagree with you at all that the 2016 might turn out to be a slam dunk, but what Landry did in 1964 and 1975 was just masterful and brilliant, sorry.

Return to The General NFL Board