Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Ike Anigbogu 

Post#1 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:38 pm

Ike Anigbogu is not ready.

But figured I'd start a thread since he declared for the draft yesterday. He's not hiring an agent, my guess is that he won't like what he hears from scouts and execs about his draft position, and will come back to UCLA next year. I can't imagine he'd be a 1st round pick, ahtough I guess I maybe wrong?

Multiple NBA executives told ESPN that Anigbogu's potential has him projected as a first-round pick in June's NBA draft, likely in the 20-30 range.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19085761/ucla-freshman-ike-anigbogu-declaring-nba-draft

He's almost a good college player though, good physical tools (the kid is definitely skrong), but way underdeveloped skill set.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Ike Anigbogu 

Post#2 » by No-Man » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:46 pm

from what I've heard he is gone, if he shows well in the combine he is gonna get good reviews and get drafted top40, I guss that's good enough for him.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#3 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:56 pm

Fischella wrote:from what I've heard he is gone, if he shows well in the combine he is gonna get good reviews and get drafted top40, I guss that's good enough for him.

I feel like landing in the 1st round and getting that guaranteed contract is a big deal. If he's basically assured of that, he'll hire an agent. If he's borderline end of 1st round, that's a tough call. But yeah if he rips it up at combine that might more or less guarantee a 1st round selection.

Such a project though.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:59 pm

He's a big mystery in terms of stock. A team could really like him and take him early, but I think his stock will be dependent on his work outs and the combine (the whole draft process).
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#5 » by Gam » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:20 pm

I could even see him go top 20 if his measurables kill it which I think they will, I see him having at least 3/4: Wingspan 7'4"+ Hand Length 11"+ Max Vert 36"+ Reach 9'2"+ Which are all elite for the C position, especially for his build.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,480

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:22 pm

If this dude falls to the 2nd round, I would love to see the Warriors do what they did last year for McCaw and do that to get a pick for Angibogu. The dude is as raw as it comes offensively, but damn I really like his defensive and rebounding potential.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#7 » by DirtyDez » Thu Apr 6, 2017 11:10 pm

Check out the production UCLA is losing...

Lonzo Ball
TJ Leaf
Isaac Hamilton
Bryce Alford
Ike Anigbogu
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 11:16 pm

DirtyDez wrote:Check out the production UCLA is losing...

Lonzo Ball
TJ Leaf
Isaac Hamilton
Bryce Alford
Ike Anigbogu

Yup losing a lot and not bringing in enough guys to replace them that will be day 1 contributors. They have a solid class with bringing in Wilkes, Hands, Riley and Hill. I dont see a OAD in that group and I think theyre going to have a rough year. Now if all 4 of those guys stay and dont declare, the season after next they could definitely be a pretty damn good team.
Disposable Hero
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#9 » by Disposable Hero » Thu Apr 6, 2017 11:22 pm

He really needed another year to work on his game. Can't fault him if this is what he wants and he's happy being a later 1st instead of potential lottery that he might have been if he put in the work. I can't see him seeing the floor much next year in the NBA and maybe not for a few years really.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#10 » by Upperclass » Fri Apr 7, 2017 11:29 am

He'll probably end up 15-20. His athletic potential and shot blocking is impressive. He might have more potential then Bam tbh
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#11 » by No-Man » Fri Apr 7, 2017 11:49 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

Lonzo Ball
TJ Leaf
Isaac Hamilton
Bryce Alford
Ike Anigbogu

Yup losing a lot and not bringing in enough guys to replace them that will be day 1 contributors. They have a solid class with bringing in Wilkes, Hands, Riley and Hill. I dont see a OAD in that group and I think theyre going to have a rough year. Now if all 4 of those guys stay and dont declare, the season after next they could definitely be a pretty damn good team.

The team is gonna be bad, they have,

Holiday-Hands
Ali-Hands
Wilkes-Smith-Ball
Goloman-Riley-Olesinski
Welsh-Hill-Okwarabizie

Arizona, USC and Oregon are gonna be better for sure, they have some nice bigs but the perimeter is kind of unproven and too young.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 12:07 pm

Fischella wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Lonzo Ball
TJ Leaf
Isaac Hamilton
Bryce Alford
Ike Anigbogu

The team is gonna be bad, they have,

Holiday-Hands
Ali-Hands
Wilkes-Smith-Ball
Goloman-Riley-Olesinski
Welsh-Hill-Okwarabizie

Arizona, USC and Oregon are gonna be better for sure, they have some nice bigs but the perimeter is kind of unproven and too young.

UCLA will for sure get transfers. And maybe there's someone sitting in waiting on the bench we haven't seen like a redshirt. And not every high schooler has picked a team yet. I just think they made too much of a name for themselves this year for players to not want to go to LA and play there.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 7, 2017 1:57 pm

I can't imagine anyone picking him in the first round. He's a good talent, but I don't see much offensive potential. Eventually, maybe he becomes an Ian Mahinmi type player - after his rookie contract's over. I wouldn't pick him other than as a 2nd round draft and stash player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 2:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:I can't imagine anyone picking him in the first round. He's a good talent, but I don't see much offensive potential. Eventually, maybe he becomes an Ian Mahinmi type player - after his rookie contract's over. I wouldn't pick him other than as a 2nd round draft and stash player.

To be fair he didn't have many touches. Most of the time he got the ball it was off of rebounds and UCLA only ran plays for their wings. I also think Welsh could have been better if he was given more touches.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#15 » by madmaxmedia » Thu May 18, 2017 11:22 pm

His combine measurements were impressive- He came in at slightly under 6-10, but he also has a 7-foot-6-plus wingspan to pair with a 9-foot-2.5 standing reach and an outrageous 5.4 percent body fat at 252 pounds.

That 7'6" wingspan is very nice, and he is a strong athletic guy for sure. I mean if you want a defensive power 4 in the late 1st/early 2nd, this may be your guy. He'll never be a stretch 4 though.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#16 » by GimmeDat » Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 pm

I've actually been tossing him up for the Bulls in the range of Jarrett Allen/Jonathan Patton. He measured really well and projects to be an extremely strong defender, imo. Hasn't shown much offense but is super young and should at least be able to run the floor and be a lob target/finisher.

How do people feel about him in the 1st round? I think he can be a real C.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#17 » by The-Power » Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 am

madmaxmedia wrote:That 7'6" wingspan is very nice, and he is a strong athletic guy for sure. I mean if you want a defensive power 4 in the late 1st/early 2nd, this may be your guy. He'll never be a stretch 4 though.

His chances of succeeding will entirely depend on his ability to play C in the league imo. I can't imagine some team drafting him to be a 4.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#18 » by EvanZ » Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 am

I don't understand how it's 2017 and people still don't understand modern NBA positions. This guy is a 4 in 1995. Not today.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:27 am

The-Power wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:That 7'6" wingspan is very nice, and he is a strong athletic guy for sure. I mean if you want a defensive power 4 in the late 1st/early 2nd, this may be your guy. He'll never be a stretch 4 though.

His chances of succeeding will entirely depend on his ability to play C in the league imo. I can't imagine some team drafting him to be a 4.

Ya hes not playing the 4 on either side of the ball. Hes going to play the Tristan Thompson role.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#20 » by The-Power » Fri May 19, 2017 12:41 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Ya hes not playing the 4 on either side of the ball. Hes going to play the Tristan Thompson role.

Agreed. And a longer/stronger but less mobile/coordinated version of Thompson actually wouldn't be a bad comparison. Although getting there depends on his desire to be that non-stop hustle guy who lives for crashing the offensive glass. Not many players with the required body can play TT's role because not many of those players have the internal drive and endurance to be a glorified garbage man on offense for the entire career. If Ike has the mental capacity to do it then he definitely has a role in the NBA. But the odds, as hinted above, might not be as high as you want them to be for a mid-first. Yet it might be worth the gamble if that's what your (borderline) playoff team needs.

Return to NBA Draft