Jonathan Jeanne

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Jonathan Jeanne 

Post#1 » by Goldbum » Thu Apr 6, 2017 12:52 am

I'm really not sure how to rate this guy. Earlier I had him as a real sleeper. A guy who would go mid to late first round and turn into a real force. I like his shot, length, agility and mobility. He seems to have above average feet and hands. Long term I see him as a PF, and small ball Center. The problem is he seems to be dropping on everybody's draft boards and oddly shrinking... Earlier he was 7'3, then 7'2 now 7'1". I've read reports that he's developing well and others that he's not progressing and is developing an attitude.
Does anyone know what's really going on?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: Jonathan Jeanne 

Post#2 » by GimmeDat » Thu Apr 6, 2017 1:17 am

I've heard some conflicting information as well, and the only footage I see is that on Youtube.

Based on how things are going I see him as an early 2nd, though. It'd be easy to slip right to the bottom of the 2nd in this draft, but I think Jeanne's pure length and fluidity will intrigue someone early enough. I'm in the dark enough that I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in the 20's, though I personally think that's a reach at this stage.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:40 am

He's 7'3 and he's really fluid/athletic/explosive. I wouldn't be surprised if he were 7'1, but I'm pretty sure he's taller. I could see him defending the wing as a 4 like Porzingis, but his skills no where near advanced and need a lot of work still. But he's a guy that can catch super high lobs, runs the floor really hard and he could stifle players on defense (though he would get bullied inside). But I think his wingspan is so long that even if he were bullied, he could still get his hands in places that could deflect the ball. He doesn't have a good feel for the game and all that jazz, but he's still young and could learn a lot under the right guidance. I would take him top 10. I hope he enters this year. (Sorry for the buts -- I'm drunk).
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#4 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:00 am

Maybe a bit like Thon Maker but with a lower athletic ceiling and upside at different respective positions? FWIW, in time, I don't think either will ever be much more than 8th-9th bench players in the NBA. Just too much ground to make up in BBIQ and feel for the game at the NBA pace.

Or Hasheem Thabeet, maybe?
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#5 » by GimmeDat » Thu Apr 6, 2017 9:37 am

zzaj wrote:Maybe a bit like Thon Maker but with a lower athletic ceiling and upside at different respective positions? FWIW, in time, I don't think either will ever be much more than 8th-9th bench players in the NBA. Just too much ground to make up in BBIQ and feel for the game at the NBA pace.

Not to start a tangent, but hasn't Thon already shown the ability to be an 8th-9th rotation guy? He's had a really good rookie season. Can get out in the PnR on defense, block shots, hit the 3, and is an athletic finisher.

I guess you might think he may not grow a lot more from where he is now, but to me at least, he's already proving himself to be on the trajectory of a high level back up, if not more.

Fwiw I think Jeanne at least becomes a capable back up in the league as well.
zzaj
Head Coach

Post#6 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 6, 2017 3:41 pm

GimmeDat wrote:
zzaj wrote:Maybe a bit like Thon Maker but with a lower athletic ceiling and upside at different respective positions? FWIW, in time, I don't think either will ever be much more than 8th-9th bench players in the NBA. Just too much ground to make up in BBIQ and feel for the game at the NBA pace.

Not to start a tangent, but hasn't Thon already shown the ability to be an 8th-9th rotation guy? He's had a really good rookie season. Can get out in the PnR on defense, block shots, hit the 3, and is an athletic finisher.

I guess you might think he may not grow a lot more from where he is now, but to me at least, he's already proving himself to be on the trajectory of a high level back up, if not more.

Fwiw I think Jeanne at least becomes a capable back up in the league as well.

I certainly can't really give a good argument either way. I've only watched him play in about 5 games this season but every time he seemed the exact kind of LOST that I expected him to be coming in. He looked like a 3rd big off the bench to me. Taking a quick glimpse at his rookie stats don't sway me a whole lot...but I could be convinced by those who have seen him play on a daily basis. He's (probably) only 20 and certainly has some athletic tools. But as we all know, it's a gamble to project on athleticism alone. I certainly hope he gets to his ceiling though--he seems like a sweet kid and is easy to root for.

Jeanne is similar for me, in that there isn't great video or information out there. It's tough to project him without getting a good sense of his play on film. All anybody has are his measurables, a bit of video and word of mouth. About the best information I've come across is Javier Pasquera talking about him at length on the What's On Draft pod...
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#7 » by coutournant » Thu Apr 6, 2017 3:53 pm

Jeanne is taller and longer than Thon Maker, and I think he is more athletic and more fluid. He runs and jumps faster than guards in his team. The problem is that he doesn't play enough to showcase his tools. He has good handles and passing for his height, nice hands. His jumpshot was promising but it never really improves. His body is a problem too, he doesn' add weight easily. He's still awfully skinny. That's why he is not where he was supposed to be nowadays.
On a positive not, he had a big impact in short stretches in his team's last wins. His team is the worst of French Pro A, very bad coaching staff/ front office. They should use him more
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#8 » by Gam » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:25 pm

Thon has been starting and playing 5-20 minutes a night for us since before the ASB. His ceiling is much closer to Perennial All-Star than it is to 8th-9th man.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 7:32 pm

Gam wrote:

Thon has been starting and playing 5-20 minutes a night for us since before the ASB. His ceiling is much closer to Perennial All-Star than it is to 8th-9th man.

Yep and Jeanne has a similar ceiling. Maker can create off the dribble which kind of Makers him a monster. Jeanne can't dribble like that at all.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#10 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 9:16 pm

I don't like him, but he probably shouldn't make it out of the first round in this draft based on upside alone. After the top 15-20, the depth of this class is looking pretty weak.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 9:19 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:I don't like him, but he probably shouldn't make it out of the first round in this draft. After the top 15-20, the depth of this class is looking pretty weak.

This is one of the strongest drafts in years depth-wise. The full two rounds will have quality contributors or they'll be quality players to develop. I think this is one of the longest, quickest, most fluid drafts I've ever seen. There will be good players that don't even make a team.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 9:29 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:I don't like him, but he probably shouldn't make it out of the first round in this draft. After the top 15-20, the depth of this class is looking pretty weak.

This is one of the strongest drafts in years depth-wise. The full two rounds will have quality contributors or they'll be quality players to develop. I think this is one of the longest, quickest, most fluid drafts I've ever seen. There will be good players that don't even make a team.

Meh. I don't see a lot of starter potential (Evans, Mitchell being the most likely) past that range so I guess it comes down to how big of a swing you wanna make at the back end of the 1st.

I think the biggest thing for me is that past the top 20, the only thing that would keep me from taking a chance on Jeanne would be if I'm confident that I could get an instant contributor (which are typically upperclassmen) and I think the Junior and Senior classes are pretty barren of those guys this year.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 6, 2017 10:07 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Meh. I don't see a lot of starter potential (Evans, Mitchell being the most likely) past that range so I guess it comes down to how big of a swing you wanna make at the back end of the 1st.

I think the biggest thing for me is that past the top 20, the only thing that would keep me from taking a chance on Jeanne would be if I'm confident that I could get an instant contributor (which are typically upperclassmen) and I think the Junior and Senior classes are pretty barren of those guys this year.

The length in this class with size and ability will for sure create starters. Even if it isn't instant this group will definitely be in the NBA for a long time. When a player has certain physical ability and one NBA skill, they usually stick in the NBA a while. And because the freshmen are getting so much hype all the way through the first round, the other players aren't getting enough attention. There is a lot of upside in this draft and I'm sure not all of them will work out, but there are also a lot of really solid guys who could push those younger guys into the second round and even undrafted. The two strongest positions in this draft are PG and PF, but what makes his draft strong is that there are a lot of skilled wings and a lot with good defensive potential (which is unique to this year). And wing has been the biggest need for teams since there are so few good ones and even then there aren't a lot of real defender there. Center is lacking though.
zzaj
Head Coach

Post#14 » by zzaj » Fri Apr 7, 2017 12:54 am

Gam wrote:

Really?! The last game I watched him in was the Blazer game on 3/21 and in his 3 minutes of starting he got torched and pulled. Based on the erratic minutes in his game log I'm guessing this has been happening quite a bit? At 4.5/1.8 (42%/30%) with .5 blocks, .2 steals and 1.7 fouls in about 12 minutes a game, his post-AS stats certainly look a lot closer to a bench player than a perennial AS, even given the benefit of the doubt in Per 36...although, it looks like he has been playing a bit better the last 4 or 5.

I'll trust you though...as I said, you've been watching him play. And obviously me watching a small sample size isn't going to give a good impression. I certainly hope the best for the kid and hope he reaches his potential sooner rather than later.
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#15 » by Gam » Fri Apr 7, 2017 2:40 pm

zzaj wrote:
Spoiler:
Gam wrote:

Really?! The last game I watched him in was the Blazer game on 3/21 and in his 3 minutes of starting he got torched and pulled. Based on the erratic minutes in his game log I'm guessing this has been happening quite a bit? At 4.5/1.8 (42%/30%) with .5 blocks, .2 steals and 1.7 fouls in about 12 minutes a game, his post-AS stats certainly look a lot closer to a bench player than a perennial AS, even given the benefit of the doubt in Per 36...although, it looks like he has been playing a bit better the last 4 or 5.

I'll trust you though...as I said, you've been watching him play. And obviously me watching a small sample size isn't going to give a good impression. I certainly hope the best for the kid and hope he reaches his potential sooner rather than later.

40% from 3, not 30%. The fouls are an issue though, but the eye test says to me that he is improving week to week. His season has reminded me a lot of rookie Giannis', I don't expect him to grow 2 inches though lol.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 3:39 pm

Gam wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Spoiler:
Gam wrote:

40% from 3, not 30%. The fouls are an issue though, but the eye test says to me that he is improving week to week. His season has reminded me a lot of rookie Giannis', I don't expect him to grow 2 inches though lol.

Agreed, but you don't need him to grow 2 inches lol.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#17 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 7, 2017 4:13 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:I don't like him, but he probably shouldn't make it out of the first round in this draft based on upside alone. After the top 15-20, the depth of this class is looking pretty weak.

That's every draft not just this one ..you'll have a few guys be real good picked in the 20's and later but about 90% of first rounders picked in the high teens and later don't make it to a second contract..

15-20 good players out of one draft would be tremendous. It's usually not that many
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by RipCity71252 » Fri Apr 7, 2017 7:25 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:I don't like him, but he probably shouldn't make it out of the first round in this draft based on upside alone. After the top 15-20, the depth of this class is looking pretty weak.

That's every draft not just this one ..you'll have a few guys be real good picked in the 20's and later but about 90% of first rounders picked in the high teens and later don't make it to a second contract..

15-20 good players out of one draft would be tremendous. It's usually not that many

Completely fair. I guess my comment was more in response to the general thinking that this is a deeper than usual draft in that range.
I think the lottery is definitely deep with talent though.
zzaj
Head Coach

Post#19 » by zzaj » Fri Apr 7, 2017 10:33 pm

Gam wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Spoiler:
Gam wrote:

Eh. Not to be nitpicky but it actually is 30% since the ASB. I assumed you meant that he was playing better since then, which is why he would be getting minutes. But maybe not? For the season he's at 38.9%, so his 3pt shooting has been down since the ASB, I guess.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/1627748/traditional/?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,181

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 am

doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

The length in this class with size and ability will for sure create starters. Even if it isn't instant this group will definitely be in the NBA for a long time. When a player has certain physical ability and one NBA skill, they usually stick in the NBA a while.

What length are you talking about? 2018 has length. This draft has a bunch of T-Rex dudes.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to NBA Draft