ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 REGULAR SEASON LA Dodgers & international

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#1 » by Neddy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:36 pm

well, we may still have a couple of free way series games left, but across the Pacific, NPB and KBO got their season opening games over with. surprise surprise... Otani batted 3rd as DH and got 2 hits with 1 double to win. Dustin Nippert went for yet another dominant performance and leading the Bears to potential 3 peat season.

baseball is upon us, fellas! :D :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :clap: :clap: :clap:

here is hoping for our WS season of 2017!

the pitching rotation is exactly how I envisioned it, and love seeing 2 long relievers to lessen the innings burden from often injured but talented group we have. can't wait for the season opener!
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Toles or Forsythe for Leadoff? 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 2, 2017 5:05 am

I've always liked Toles at the leadoff spot and think Forsythe is better in the #2 hole.

Read on Twitter

Just want to add some international flavor given the thread title, so what better than to turn back the clock and view Japanese hearthrob (as pitching phenom) Shohei Otani pitching in high school?

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Re: 2017 REGULAR SEASON LA Dodgers & international 

Post#3 » by Neddy » Tue Apr 4, 2017 1:00 am

what a game. brought my laptop to work and got lucky to see the back to back HRs by Pederson and Grandal. was pissed when Kershaw gave up that first run but after that top of the first, he was his usual, coating along 7 innings with 8Ks, 2Hs and no BBs.

can't wait for tomorrow and see what Maeda's got.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: Toles or Forsythe for Leadoff? 

Post#4 » by Neddy » Tue Apr 4, 2017 1:11 am

Ranma wrote:I've always liked Toles at the leadoff spot and think Forsythe is better in the #2 hole.

Read on Twitter

Just want to add some international flavor given the thread title, so what better than to turn back the clock and view Japanese hearthrob (as pitching phenom) Shohei Otani pitching in high school?

Read on Twitter

well, I still like the way the heart of the order goes. with Logan's somewhat spotty OBP, moving him to the 5th spot was a brilliant move that paid off immediately. Toles seems to be the man to lead off, then Seager-Turner-Gonzo are a fearsome 2-3-4 to follow. then have Logan as your secondary lead off who can hold his own to supply protection for Gonzo, then here it goes again, Pederson-Grandal-Puig for 6-7-8. this team is basically constructed to have 3 bit bats following not so small but good quality leadoffs in front of each set. I really like it. every starter got a hit including Kershaw!

and as for Otani, I sure hope he wants to come to the Dodgers as he almost did out of high school. but he is now leading that league as a hitter.... looks more and more like a AL player who will start every 5 th game while DHing the other 4.
ehhhhh f it.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#5 » by TKainZero » Tue Apr 4, 2017 3:06 am

Really liked the lineup

Back of the rotation is what is key, the starting 8 look amazing.

Let's go madea!
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#6 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 4, 2017 2:44 pm

Hate to get hyped this early in a Dodgers season, but they looked really good out there. The Offense looked poised and confident. The value of resigning our FAs is apparent.
Let's avoid the injury bug and build some momentum.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Apr 4, 2017 8:56 pm

I hate when Kershaw doesn't go 9 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 27 Ks.
:nonono:
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Wed Apr 5, 2017 2:44 am

my worries are coming to its fruition...

when I saw how Dave lined up our rotation, the first impression for me was that Kershaw/Hill/Ryu will most likely dominate their counterparts as 1/3/5 pitchers. but Maeda as #2 was a bit of a reach, and that he would be overmatched. seeing Clayton Richard going against Maeda for the game from a week ago, I was thinking this could be trouble for us, and here we are, down 2 nothing and a runner on second in just the top of the second, with Maeda near 40 pitches with just one out.

PHEW.....!

that bunt attempt was botched and became an easy infield fly to double up the antsy runner. what a break. this is just what we needed. hopefuly Kenta settles down from here on and get some easy innings.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#9 » by Neddy » Wed Apr 5, 2017 2:59 am

Kenta gave up a HR on a neutral count... I agree with Ranma that Kenta isn't a top three pitcher in a good rotation, but hopefully sliding down HIll, McCarthy, and Ryu down a spot or two each will benefit us that much more.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#10 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 5, 2017 9:21 am

Still struggling against lefties?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#11 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 6, 2017 2:46 am

Please don't let that break Rich's right hand.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#12 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 6, 2017 3:17 pm

Nice to see Puig take one out of the park.

He is looking lean and in shape. I am very proud of him in that regard. This whole 8 hole thing for Puig might be a blessing in disguise and I hope he takes advantage of it. Will probably see some good pitches and there's less pressure on him from that spot.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 6, 2017 9:38 pm

Will watch McCarthy's start when I get home but 6 IP and 2 ER on 4 hits and 1 BB is alright with me.

hopefully it wasnt just luck.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#14 » by TKainZero » Fri Apr 7, 2017 1:08 am

Puig huge today
2 home runs

He is going to be moving up the lineup soon
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#15 » by Neddy » Fri Apr 7, 2017 3:15 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Nice to see Puig take one out of the park.

was stuck in CE courses for Oregon Dental Convention so I couldn't see the game, but surely was checking up on the stats all game.
i had told my old roommate from 20 years ago I happened to come across during a spring training game in Arizona, that I expect big things from Puig this season and he wasn't exactly on board with it then, hopefully Puig keeps this up and have a career year, cementing his right handed power bat in the middle of this lefty heavy group of youngsters for years to come.
Quake Griffin wrote:He is looking lean and in shape. I am very proud of him in that regard. This whole 8 hole thing for Puig might be a blessing in disguise and I hope he takes advantage of it. Will probably see some good pitches and there's less pressure on him from that spot.

well, traditionally, guys hitting in the 8th hole don't see good pitches to hit because the pitchers can get an easy out behind him as most counterpart pitchers hit in the 9th hole, especially in crucial, run scoring opportunities with a base open. Joc struggled mightly in that role too, but 8th guy gain a ton of walk and inflate their OBP because of it. Kershaw's ex personal catcher comes to mind. but i get what you are saying, about being in a non-pressure situation and he can just go out there and do what he does, without thinking about it.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#16 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Apr 7, 2017 10:16 am

T'was a brain fart on my end...some neurons not firing when I wrote that. Sleep at the wheel.

Saw some of McCarthy's start. Got hit pretty well a couple times early. Some of those balls found gloves. Pederson misplayed what I'd still say was a well hit ball regardless. Maybe Solarte wouldnt have got a double out of it. Joc signaled that he misplayed it because he couldn't see it well.

Regardless...looks like we are out of the woods on those yips. He looked confident throwing all his stuff up there and I couldnt be more pleased watching him get quick ground balls in his 6 pitch 4th inning. I know it's just the Padres but it's is a good building block to start from.

Ryu tonight in Colorado...
They just took 3 of 4 from the Brewers. Should be a good test for him early.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#17 » by Neddy » Fri Apr 7, 2017 9:14 pm

man, got sick and couldn't go to the conference today.... sitting at home watching this game from the first pitch on.

Ryu is pitching very well, but our defense is failing him. the first two pitches were 90 mph fastballs to low and outside for strikes to Blackmon, but grandal let the strike out pitch pass him. he did throw Blackmon out the very next pitch tho. then **** let a routine ground ball into a single, then let another routine double play get away from him.

but the Rockie's Rook Kyle Freeman is already up to 60 pitch count on top of 4th with no out with runner on second. let's see how this plays out.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#18 » by Neddy » Fri Apr 7, 2017 9:29 pm

finally, **** makes a decent play at SS. Ryu's got 5Ks and onyl 50 pitch count with two outs in the bottom of the 4th. he should go 6 easy, maybe 7. Rockies will need to reach in to their bullpen by 6th, for sure by 7th. I like our chances with the game tied.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#19 » by Neddy » Fri Apr 7, 2017 9:54 pm

damn, things kinda unraveled in the 5th for Ryu and yet the Rook is still in the game for the Rocks.

hope Ross gets the third and the final out for this inning. Ryu deserved better from defensive point, but more importantly we are still only 1 run down. we can win this game. we have got to win this game as the next 5 games have 3 lefty pitchers stacked against us.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#20 » by Neddy » Fri Apr 7, 2017 9:58 pm

Stripling gets us out of the jam!!!!

and with Hill already going on DL, Wood becomes our #3 starter. we now have Maeda and Wood who are going to be outmatched against their opposing #2 and #3 pitchers.

I would rather see Kershaw-McCarthy-Ryu-Maeda-Wood, but whatever. Hill will eventually come back and get his 100 to 120 innings this season.... :banghead:
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers