congrats to the leafs

Moderator: Crowned

RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: congrats to the leafs 

Post#41 » by RaptorsLife » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:13 am

VC720 wrote:
Double Helix wrote:Might as well talk about the Toronto Rock lacrosse team. Hockey is a sport dominated by upper middle class "athletes" that can afford to play it at a young age with stars that look like guys you beat in every sport you played in gym class. America laughs at the NHL as a whole. It's 4th tier and the MLS is catching up already to it. England doesn't care. Spain doesn't care. Brazil doesn't care. Portugal doesn't care. China doesn't care. Russia is the only other large population in the world who cares about hockey at all. The rest are Scandinavian countries with populations the size of the GTA, or a third of Ontario.

In what sport other than video games, curling, darts, car racing or bowling would somebody who looked like this be the top superstar athlete?

Or somebody like this one of its top 20:

Let's be real. The difference between hockey and lacrosse is slightly more publicity and marketing influencing us as kids growing up in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I'm not even a hockey fan but I don't understand this logic. Who cares what other countries think, we live in Canada. Here Hockey is a big deal.

Yeah American football outside out if 2-3 countries ain't that popular. But America it's very popular. Hockey popular here in canada. So hockey is most important here
Raptors til death
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#42 » by MavCarter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

VC720 wrote:
Double Helix wrote:Might as well talk about the Toronto Rock lacrosse team. Hockey is a sport dominated by upper middle class "athletes" that can afford to play it at a young age with stars that look like guys you beat in every sport you played in gym class. America laughs at the NHL as a whole. It's 4th tier and the MLS is catching up already to it. England doesn't care. Spain doesn't care. Brazil doesn't care. Portugal doesn't care. China doesn't care. Russia is the only other large population in the world who cares about hockey at all. The rest are Scandinavian countries with populations the size of the GTA, or a third of Ontario.

In what sport other than video games, curling, darts, car racing or bowling would somebody who looked like this be the top superstar athlete?

Let's be real. The difference between hockey and lacrosse is slightly more publicity and marketing influencing us as kids growing up in Canada.

I'm not even a hockey fan but I don't understand this logic. Who cares what other countries think, we live in Canada. Here Hockey is a big deal.

This. You think americans care whether or not other countries like football? lol\. Im not the biggest hockey fan in the world but it's our sport
#Enjoytheride
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#43 » by Slo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 am

Double Helix wrote:
McGregFan wrote:

lol i mean you can **** on their appearance but hockey players are tough compared to soft ass basketball players who cry when you barely scratch them.

So are Lacrosse players. What's your point? You value toughness and blood watch UFC.

Hockey is a sport dominated by a bunch of rich kids who take skating lessons at age 3. Nobody outside of Russia or Canada even talks about it. The only reason Auston Matthews even learned of this sport is because a Canadian team (the Winnipeg Jets) randomly moved to Phoenix and he started liking it and seeing other mediocre athletes skating around on ice and thinking he could do that. Auston Matthews would be a frat boy at Arizona University this year had this bizzare sport of guys on skates not existed. The top superstars in the game wouldn't be recognized in most places outside of Russia or Canada. It's not even a transferable skill in terms of athleticism. It's entirely dependent on skating ability and is the only sport reliant on something beyond shoes.

In Canada we are raised in this culture that treats the NHL like everyone around he world cares about it. Want to know why Canada wins so often in it? It's the same reason we are so good at Curling and why the Netherlands are so good at Speed skating and the Germans so good at Bobsled. Most other countries don't care and each of these counties has brainwashed enough kids to care at a young age based on the success of others to consistently better the few other nations who do care a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Get off your **** high horse and stop pretending you know anything that goes on in the world outside of Canada. In ALOT of Europe hockey is really big. By your logic NFL and MLB are **** leagues too because i can tell you not many folks outside of USA care about it too. Certainly not as many as for Hockey.
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,533

Post#44 » by TheRaptor! » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:16 am

McGregFan wrote:
TheRaptor! wrote:Get this leafs crap out of the Raptors board.

Hope they get knocked out quick so the Raps are the only talk of the city.

Yea im pretty salty.

Especially the Puckheads wearing Leafs gear to the Raptors game and the Jurassic park. FOH
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,273

Post#45 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:18 am

And likewise, nobody cares about basketball outside the US, except for a few tiny countries in the Baltics and Balkans, where it's still less popular than soccer. International basketball competitions are the biggest joke in sports. The US completely dominates the competition (Canada is actually legitimately challenged by a number of countries in hockey competitions). Neither sport has the right to talk **** about the other.
S ID
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,111

Post#46 » by S ID » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:21 am

thread still going strong? thought this **** would be locked instantly... mods slackin
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

congrats to the leafs 

Post#47 » by Double Helix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:22 am

Slo wrote:
Double Helix wrote:
McGregFan wrote:

lol i mean you can **** on their appearance but hockey players are tough compared to soft ass basketball players who cry when you barely scratch them.

So are Lacrosse players. What's your point? You value toughness and blood watch UFC.

Hockey is a sport dominated by a bunch of rich kids who take skating lessons at age 3. Nobody outside of Russia or Canada even talks about it. The only reason Auston Matthews even learned of this sport is because a Canadian team (the Winnipeg Jets) randomly moved to Phoenix and he started liking it and seeing other mediocre athletes skating around on ice and thinking he could do that. Auston Matthews would be a frat boy at Arizona University this year had this bizzare sport of guys on skates not existed. The top superstars in the game wouldn't be recognized in most places outside of Russia or Canada. It's not even a transferable skill in terms of athleticism. It's entirely dependent on skating ability and is the only sport reliant on something beyond shoes.

In Canada we are raised in this culture that treats the NHL like everyone around he world cares about it. Want to know why Canada wins so often in it? It's the same reason we are so good at Curling and why the Netherlands are so good at Speed skating and the Germans so good at Bobsled. Most other countries don't care and each of these counties has brainwashed enough kids to care at a young age based on the success of others to consistently better the few other nations who do care a little bit.

Get off your **** high horse and stop pretending you know anything that goes on in the world outside of Canada. In ALOT of Europe hockey is really big. By your logic NFL and MLB are **** leagues too because i can tell you not many folks outside of USA care about it too. Certainly not as many as for Hockey.

Combined... more people in the world (due to the population dominance in America) probably care about the NFL and MLB (especially with Japan, Canada and Latin America factored in) than people do hockey.

Ice Hockey probably isn't even the top 10. Field hockey is more popular.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-most-popular-sports-in-the-world.html

http://gazettereview.com/2016/08/top-10-popular-sports-world/

https://www.theknowledgegateway.com/top-10-most-popular-sports-leagues-from-around-the-world/

Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#48 » by Veggamattic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:22 am

McGregFan wrote:lesss go

Do you actually think it's Lesss go or Less go and not let's go or is this some kind of inside joke?
S ID
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,111

Post#49 » by S ID » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 am

Double Helix wrote:In what sport other than video games, curling, darts, car racing or bowling would somebody who looked like this be the top superstar athlete?

Asinine Statement. Show me one athlete that can do this.

MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#50 » by MavCarter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 am

Veggamattic wrote:

Do you actually think it's Lesss go or Less go and not let's go or is this some kind of inside joke?

lessss go boi
#Enjoytheride
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#51 » by mrsocko » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 am

VC720 wrote:

If you check any list of top team sports in the world Hockey is top ten, usually coming in about 8th while basketball is usually 4th or 5th. There both hugely popular worldwide. Why denigrate one over the other.

And go back and check Tom Brady's draft picks. Doesn't exactly look like a great athlete.
Dick expectation level 0/5
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#52 » by Inevitable » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:25 am

Raps in 4 wrote:

And likewise, nobody cares about basketball outside the US, except for a few tiny countries in the Baltics and Balkans, where it's still less popular than soccer. International basketball competitions are the biggest joke in sports. The US completely dominates the competition (Canada is actually legitimately challenged by a number of countries in hockey competitions). Neither sport has the right to talk **** about the other.
So why does the NBA get hundreds of millions of views in Asia?
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#53 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:30 am

Inevitable wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

So why does the NBA get hundreds of millions of views in Asia?

Yao Ming is the sole reason for that. The moment they develop a single NHL star, hockey will explode there too. They're a developing sports market.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#54 » by Veggamattic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:30 am

McGregFan wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:

lessss go boi

I didn't realize how young you were...sorry.
Concernedcad
Starter
And1: 5,894

Post#55 » by Concernedcad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:30 am

Have you guys ever met a racist Raptor fan? Growing up I had to deal with a lot of "Go back to your own country" and the usual Paki epithet from Leaf fans. Think it explains why I don't root for the Leafs.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#56 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 am

Concernedcad wrote:Have you guys ever met a racist Raptor fan? Growing up I had to deal with a lot of "Go back to your own country" and the usual Paki epithet from Leaf fans. Think it explains why I don't root for the Leafs.

That's a dumb reason to not root for a sports team.

Soccer fans are the most racist scum on earth. And yet millions of people, from every ethnic and racial background, are fans of the same soccer teams as the racists.

I grew up in a poor immigrant family. I hate rich white racists as much as anyone. But they can't claim ownership of a sports team.

NBA teams in redneck towns are full of racists (see: https://streamable.com/7386). If you grew up in Indiana, would you also avoid cheering for the Pacers just because pieces of filth like that are also fans of the team?
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

congrats to the leafs 

Post#57 » by Double Helix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:38 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Concernedcad wrote:Have you guys ever met a racist Raptor fan? Growing up I had to deal with a lot of "Go back to your own country" and the usual Paki epithet from Leaf fans. Think it explains why I don't root for the Leafs.

Soccer fans are the most racist scum on earth. And yet millions of people, from every ethnic and racial background, are fans of the same soccer teams as the racists.

I grew up in a poor immigrant family. I hate rich white racists as much as anyone. But they can't claim ownership of a sports team.

FYI: Racism goes way beyond whites and in fact a lot of white people have been leaders in progressive, inclusive multiculturalism efforts worldwide.

ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#58 » by ash_k » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:41 am

meanwhile, keeping the fingers crossed for Leafs! we need a W, tonight! BADLY!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#59 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 am

Double Helix wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

FYI: Racism goes way beyond whites and in fact a lot of white people have been leaders in progressive, inclusive multiculturalism efforts worldwide.

Obviously not all whites are racists (just as many immigrants are racists too). But whites are the richest ethnic group in developed countries, which has allowed the racists among them to institutionalize racism in those countries.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#60 » by ash_k » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 am

and FAK the Canadiens (for what they did to PK!) and look at him and his Preds upset the migthy Blackhawks! why I am at FAK the Flames and the Oilers! :lol:
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs