congrats to the leafs

Moderator: Crowned

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

congrats to the leafs 

Post#101 » by Double Helix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:10 pm

This post started on the Raptors board where it is fun to bash hockey, the CFL, Curling and the Leafs. Especially since it was posted on the Raptors board following a frustrating Raptors loss.

I figured it would get locked or something but it's since moved over to the right place so I'm outta here now.

I actually like Tyler Seguin's game. If he had been on the Leafs right now (still only 25!) it would have been easier for me to jump on the bandwagon perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DonMega
General Manager
And1: 8,689

Re: congrats to the leafs 

Post#102 » by DonMega » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Garlic Sauce wrote:I actually agree the Leafs were the Knicks of the NHL for a long long time until Lieweke came and changed things.

Now they have people that know what they are doing, from coaching, to management, to the roster to the scouting team. Before it was an embarassment. No more meddling from the idiots in the ownership structure.

Concussions are a reality but they can happen to anyone in this league.

2013 season was a blessing in disguise. It was the year most of us hardcore leafs fans said **** it and rogers noticed their earnings drop (probably). This is when they decided a complete rebuild is needed.
I wonder if say the raptors got swept this year if the same would happen?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#103 » by LLJ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Double Helix wrote:
s e n s i wrote:
Double Helix wrote:Auston Matthews will get clobbered cleanly within the next 2 years and develop concussion issues and this new Leafs core will max out below this Raptors core. A Conference Finals.

It's the Leafs way.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

what an incredibly sh*tty and tasteless post. Lol who the hell says that

It's a sport with as many concussion issues as the NFL with far less of a spotlight on it. The removal of clutch and grab has actually increased the speed of some of these open ice hits. It's not a matter of if but when in this sport with the finesse players. Crosby knows what I'm talking about.

All the quick finesse players get targeted. Patrik Laine got it already this year. Matthews will take an open ice hit within the next 2.

The sports Barbaric setup allows for these kinds of wild swings and a rising star of today could be forever changed in an instant with some of these huge hits. So, it's hard to put too many eggs in the Leafs basket in a league where one of the top phenoms of the game (Crosby) saw prime years removed from him from concussions.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Sorry DH, I like your posts, but here in this thread you do sound like you're wanting the Leafs to fail, even though they've actually been doing almost everything right for once since 1967 these last 2 years.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#104 » by LLJ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:23 pm

DonMega wrote:This is why I'm still salty about the Wiggins draft, sure he hasn't arrived yet but his team has a future. We should have began a proper rebuild when we had the chance, tanking and getting players through draft. This current raptors team looks like it's on its last legs due to bandaid solutions for years.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I don't think Wiggins will turn out super great. Some drafts are just meh at the top. But it does look like Matthews is one of those possible generational players. At the very least he looks like a guy who could become a perennial top 5 NHL point leader every year. Matthews probably isn't LeBron, but he would be like a Kevin Durant or Chris Paul. Maybe not always the KING but always in the conversation.

The thing is, it's not just tanking. You gotta draft RIGHT too. We also drafted Mitch Marner (my favorite Leaf right now) who could also be a star and a great setup guy on offense and Nylander has been one of those third bananas who can kill you when you ignore him too.

Most organizations can tank, but they always **** it up and draft the wrong guy. That's what a GOOD organization does, pick the right guys. They don't *just* tank. Anyone can do that. We pay the big bucks for them to choose RIGHT though.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

congrats to the leafs 

Post#105 » by Double Helix » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 pm

I had a lot of beer in me from that Raptors game and was angry. Seeing others talking about the Leafs success on the Raptors board just made me angrier last night so I just went it on how small ice hockey is outside of Canada, and bashed the Leafs because I was angry from the Raptors loss. I actually don't hate the Leafs but I didn't grow up liking them either. I am happy for those who did. I can understand the excitement.

I cleaned my BBQ. Cleaned my deck and slept and I'm less angry now than I was earlier. Sorry for being a jerk. I figured it better to be a jerk online than have my anger make me a jerk around my friends or family.

I'm going to try and enjoy this Leafs ride somehow since I live here now.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#106 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Double Helix wrote:I had a lot of beer in me from that Raptors game and was angry. Seeing others talking about the Leafs success on the Raptors board just made me angrier last night so I just went it on how small ice hockey is outside of Canada, and bashed the Leafs because I was angry from the Raptors loss. I actually don't hate the Leafs but I didn't grow up liking them either. I am happy for those who did. I can understand the excitement.

I cleaned my BBQ. Cleaned my deck and slept and I'm less angry now than I was earlier. Sorry for being a jerk. I figured it better to be a jerk online than have my anger make me a jerk around my friends or family.

I'm going to try and enjoy this Leafs ride somehow since I live here now.

This is why I always click to read what DH has to say :lol:
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#107 » by Griff83 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:14 pm

LLJ wrote:
DonMega wrote:This is why I'm still salty about the Wiggins draft, sure he hasn't arrived yet but his team has a future. We should have began a proper rebuild when we had the chance, tanking and getting players through draft. This current raptors team looks like it's on its last legs due to bandaid solutions for years.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I don't think Wiggins will turn out super great. Some drafts are just meh at the top. But it does look like Matthews is one of those possible generational players. At the very least he looks like a guy who could become a perennial top 5 NHL point leader every year. Matthews probably isn't LeBron, but he would be like a Kevin Durant or Chris Paul. Maybe not always the KING but always in the conversation.

The thing is, it's not just tanking. You gotta draft RIGHT too. We also drafted Mitch Marner (my favorite Leaf right now) who could also be a star and a great setup guy on offense and Nylander has been one of those third bananas who can kill you when you ignore him too.

Most organizations can tank, but they always **** it up and draft the wrong guy. That's what a GOOD organization does, pick the right guys. They don't *just* tank. Anyone can do that. We pay the big bucks for them to choose RIGHT though.

You also need to get lucky.
How good would the rebuild look right now if....

A.) We didnt win the lottery (I actuly think we had the worst odds of the 3 remaining teams when the last ball was drawn). We could have easily ended up with the #3 pick and right now could have Jesse Puljujarvi instead of Auston Matthews.

B.) The Ariozona Coyotes selected Marner at #3 instead of Dylan Strome. Now rumour has it we would have went with Provorov or Werenski. Now both fill a need but to me Marner's upside is the highest out of the the 3.

C.) The Vancouver Canucks OR Carolina Hurricanes had selected Nylander at #6/7 and we would be left with Virtanen, Fluery, Ehlers (who isnt a massive downgrade from Nylander) or Nick Ritchie.

We ended up most likely with the best case scenario there but we could have easily been looking at Puljujarvi/Dubois, Provorov/Werenski and Ehlers. Now that is a nice collection of young talent but cant hold a candle to Matthews, Marner and Nylander.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,631

Post#108 » by GQStylin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Griff83 wrote:You also need to get lucky.
How good would the rebuild look right now if....

A.) We didnt win the lottery (I actuly think we had the worst odds of the 3 remaining teams when the last ball was drawn). We could have easily ended up with the #3 pick and right now could have Jesse Puljujarvi instead of Auston Matthews.

B.) The Ariozona Coyotes selected Marner at #3 instead of Dylan Strome. Now rumour has it we would have went with Provorov or Werenski. Now both fill a need but to me Marner's upside is the highest out of the the 3.

C.) The Vancouver Canucks OR Carolina Hurricanes had selected Nylander at #6/7 and we would be left with Virtanen, Fluery, Ehlers (who isnt a massive downgrade from Nylander) or Nick Ritchie.

We ended up most likely with the best case scenario there but we could have easily been looking at Puljujarvi/Dubois, Provorov/Werenski and Ehlers. Now that is a nice collection of young talent but cant hold a candle to Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Of course you need to be lucky when it comes to building a team in sports, but the thing is you need good management, good scouting and good coaching too and the Leafs for the first time in a very long time have all three. That is the big difference here that is making the turn around be so quickly rather than taking many years although we'll have to see if there won't be some decline next year because alot of things went right for us this year.

Also consider this:

A) Yes we had the worst odds of the three remaining teams for the first overall even though we had the best odds going in. Sure we were lucky there, but consider the previous year where we had the best odds of the four remaining teams and we ended up staying at fourth and losing out on McDavid. So luck goes both ways. It didn't work out for us in 2015, but it did work out for us in 2016.

B) From what I've read it seemed like the Leafs were willing to trade the #4 for the Jackets #8 and other picks but then ultimately CBJ decided against it. If that trade went through as much as I love Marner, maybe that would've turned out even better for the Leafs because we get a top pairing defenseman in Provorov or Werenski and also some extra picks in the 2nd round. Imagine how much nicer the Leafs defense looks with

Rielly-Provorov/Werenski
Gardiner-Zaitzev

As our top 4. Marner could become our Kane, but would you rather have Patrick Kane or would you rather have a Duncan Keith or Drew Doughty on the Leafs right now? I'm betting most people would choose Keith/Doughty over Kane. Heck with hindsight being 20/20 maybe we should've just taken Provorov/Werenski at the four spot anyways.

C) Nothing wrong with the Leafs taking Ehlers and some people might even think he's abit better than Nylander, but both are pretty close right now.

And also Matthews, Marner and Nylander are a great group, but best case scenario would've been McDavid, Werenski/Provorov and Nylander/Ehlers. As much as I love our current group, I'd much rather have superstar forward, top pairing/potential franchaise defenseman and top line winger.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#109 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:51 pm

S ID wrote:they drafted a dynasty while this **** team will go into the luxury tax for a choking core

Spoiler:
OMEGA LUL. GOOD ONE BUDDY

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs