2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Re: 2017 Cowboys Off Season Thread 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter

No details but I wouldn't be surprised to see his cap hit reduced for 2017.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,010

Post#42 » by Mr B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:26 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea from my understanding they did it to reduce his cap hit this year. Seriously doubt he finishes the contract. What it means though is more dead money in a year or two. Especially when you consider Tyrone Crawford's money is going to have to come off the books soon if he doesn't start producing. He needs to have the best year of his career this year to remain on the team. Demarcus Lawrence needs to kick up his production too. They are going to have no choice but to rebuild and reload through the draft, which is not a bad thing.

It's going to be really interesting to see if Stephen holds true to his word and be reluctant to hand out 3rd contracts to players. How many contracts has Dez had?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea from my understanding they did it to reduce his cap hit this year. Seriously doubt he finishes the contract. What it means though is more dead money in a year or two. Especially when you consider Tyrone Crawford's money is going to have to come off the books soon if he doesn't start producing. He needs to have the best year of his career this year to remain on the team. Demarcus Lawrence needs to kick up his production too. They are going to have no choice but to rebuild and reload through the draft, which is not a bad thing.

It's going to be really interesting to see if Stephen holds true to his word and be reluctant to hand out 3rd contracts to players. How many contracts has Dez had?

Well... let's see. 3 more years.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Not truly a Cowboys item other than...

Michael Irvin Under Investigation For Alleged Sexual Assault In Florida
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700595-michael-irvin-under-investigation-for-alleged-sexual-assault-in-florida

From his attorney

Michael was in Ft. Lauderdale visiting his nieces and nephews at a track meet. He was also visiting his 90-year-old aunt and attending her birthday party. He was blindsided by news of these allegations.

The allegations are completely false. In the few hours since we've learned about them we've already discovered many red flags about this young woman's background and the allegations she made against Michael. Even the complaint that she made specifically says she does not recall the events that took place. She was very drunk that night. Nothing happened and there was no assault.

It's always uncomfortable for me when an attorney feels compelled to invoke the "red flags about this young woman's background" comment when defending his/her client. Why can't they just stick with "He's innocent and we will prove it" and leave it at that?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 5, 2017 1:37 pm

And - in the end...

Maybe Jerry did Tony a massive favor by allowing this thing to play out the way it did. A month ago, pretty much all of us thought Romo would be playing "somewhere" this season and Jerry was "doing him wrong" by not releasing him and so on and so on. The end result is significantly different. Instead, he goes out on his feet with his last pass a TD in a drive that was vintage Romo... and he goes out AS A COWBOY. Jerry gets what we all pretty much expected him to get which was to spread his remaining cap over the next two seasons and the ability (once Free makes it official) to go chase additional help on the defense.

And - we all get rid of Phil Simms.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#46 » by Mr B » Wed Apr 5, 2017 2:26 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:And - in the end...

And - we all get rid of Phil Simms.

In the end this is what really matters. Simms sucks.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,271

Post#47 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:00 am

Guys. Does Dez Bryant have a no trade clause in his contract? If not are we able to trade him and also free up his cap hit for this year?
Mr B
RealGM

Post#48 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Guys. Does Dez Bryant have a no trade clause in his contract? If not are we able to trade him and also free up his cap hit for this year?

No he doesn't have a no trade clause. And I wouldn't hold my breath about trading Dez. He isn't going anywhere. At least not for a couple more years. Dez got a 5 year deal right? I can't remember if it was 4 or 5 years. Well Stephen said a month ago or so that their philosophy (now) is that they don't want to give a players a 3rd contract. The player would have to be a special player to get a 3rd contract from the Cowboys. Dez should be going into his 3rd season on his contract, which is his second contract. If Dez continues to play like he has and/or continues to miss big chunks of the season there is no way he's getting a 3rd contract. He will have to stay healthy all year and will have to have a dominant season.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#49 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Mr B wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:Guys. Does Dez Bryant have a no trade clause in his contract? If not are we able to trade him and also free up his cap hit for this year?

No he doesn't have a no trade clause. And I wouldn't hold my breath about trading Dez. He isn't going anywhere. At least not for a couple more years. Dez got a 5 year deal right? I can't remember if it was 4 or 5 years. Well Stephen said a month ago or so that their philosophy (now) is that they don't want to give a players a 3rd contract. The player would have to be a special player to get a 3rd contract from the Cowboys. Dez should be going into his 3rd season on his contract, which is his second contract. If Dez continues to play like he has and/or continues to miss big chunks of the season there is no way he's getting a 3rd contract. He will have to stay healthy all year and will have to have a dominant season.

I'm just playing around with some scenario's in my head for the upcoming draft. Cleveland wants to trade down and I want to move up if it means getting the Garrett kid. I'm willing to trade Dez if we can land a defensive gem like him, but really just playing around in my head for draft options.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

There sure seems to be a lot of "noise" about the Cowboys doing something to go get Richard Sherman. I've heard a lot of proposals that begin with #28 in this years draft. I love Sherman (I'm in a minority on that here) and what he brings to a team. I'm also certain (even with the Cowboys picking up Zack Martin's option at $9.3M this morning) they could figure out a way to make it work financially.

But... no way do I do that deal! This team needs way more that Sherm - and with the talk about the defensive depth in this draft and the opportunity to get younger and faster, giving up #28 + whatever other draft picks just doesn't make sense to me.

Just stay the course. Draft defense exclusively in 10 days unless there is some guy that intrigues you in the later rounds. But - the first 3 rounds need to be Defense, Defense, Defense.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#51 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I'm just playing around with some scenario's in my head for the upcoming draft. Cleveland wants to trade down and I want to move up if it means getting the Garrett kid. I'm willing to trade Dez if we can land a defensive gem like him, but really just playing around in my head for draft options.

Dallas would have to give up a ton to move up to #1. We're talking our 1st and 2nd this year as well as next year's 1st (and maybe next year's 2nd too). That would kill our team.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:There sure seems to be a lot of "noise" about the Cowboys doing something to go get Richard Sherman. I've heard a lot of proposals that begin with #28 in this years draft. I love Sherman (I'm in a minority on that here) and what he brings to a team. I'm also certain (even with the Cowboys picking up Zack Martin's option at $9.3M this morning) they could figure out a way to make it work financially.

But... no way do I do that deal! This team needs way more that Sherm - and with the talk about the defensive depth in this draft and the opportunity to get younger and faster, giving up #28 + whatever other draft picks just doesn't make sense to me.

Just stay the course. Draft defense exclusively in 10 days unless there is some guy that intrigues you in the later rounds. But - the first 3 rounds need to be Defense, Defense, Defense.

I wouldn't mind adding Sherman but not for a 1st round pick. I'd give up MAYBE a 3rd. It nothing higher than that. He wants to be one of the highest paid CB's (if not the highest) in the NFL. Oh yea, and he's 29 years old. With our lack of a pass rush we also would not be getting the same player that he's been in Seattle. He's also coming off a down year. I would prefer to build the defense (specifically the pass rush) through the draft. If they can build a dominant pass rush their CB's will be much better. If they can build a pass rush similar to what Seattle has done the chances are good that the Cowboys would find the next Richard Sherman in the later rounds. Hell, Brown could be that guy. Also this is a deep CB draft. There will be guys available in the 2nd round that would be 1st rounders any other year, and 3rd rounders that would have normally gone in the 2nd. Just my opinion.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#53 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:There sure seems to be a lot of "noise" about the Cowboys doing something to go get Richard Sherman. I've heard a lot of proposals that begin with #28 in this years draft. I love Sherman (I'm in a minority on that here) and what he brings to a team. I'm also certain (even with the Cowboys picking up Zack Martin's option at $9.3M this morning) they could figure out a way to make it work financially.

You took all the words out of my mouth on this one. I have nothing to add. I agree 100% with everything you just posted to a tee. I agree, defense, defense and more defense. But I have been saying it for 7 years now. Do we finally get our wish this year? :roll:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#54 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Mr B wrote:

I wouldn't mind adding Sherman but not for a 1st round pick. I'd give up MAYBE a 3rd. It nothing higher than that. He wants to be one of the highest paid CB's (if not the highest) in the NFL. Oh yea, and he's 29 years old. With our lack of a pass rush we also would not be getting the same player that he's been in Seattle. He's also coming off a down year. I would prefer to build the defense (specifically the pass rush) through the draft. If they can build a dominant pass rush their CB's will be much better. If they can build a pass rush similar to what Seattle has done the chances are good that the Cowboys would find the next Richard Sherman in the later rounds. Hell, Brown could be that guy. Also this is a deep CB draft. There will be guys available in the 2nd round that would be 1st rounders any other year, and 3rd rounders that would have normally gone in the 2nd. Just my opinion.

Sorry Mr. B. Can't go with you on this one. I'm old school when it comes to being held hostage by CB's and WR's. Let him stay in Seattle. Sherman wants out because he is seeing the Seahawks go backwards and he wants no part of it. I think Pete Carroll is starting to lose his team.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Mr B wrote:

An opinion I share. Way too much value in this draft specific to our needs. And you are right about players slipping... especially if a few QB-needy teams decide they MUST have one of these guys and someone drops to us as a result. I feel for teams in that situation but would be happy to benefit from their lack of resolve.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#56 » by Mr B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

An opinion I share. Way too much value in this draft specific to our needs. And you are right about players slipping... especially if a few QB-needy teams decide they MUST have one of these guys and someone drops to us as a result. I feel for teams in that situation but would be happy to benefit from their lack of resolve.

I would really hate to be in this draft feeling like we have to draft a QB. Not really impressed with any of these guys.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I would really hate to be in this draft feeling like we have to draft a QB. Not really impressed with any of these guys.

Me either. I don't think there is a 1st rounder in the bunch. Which means at least two will go in the 1st round. Which means something good drops to us at 28.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#58 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Mr B wrote:

That Dobbs kid from Tennessee could be the sleeper of the bunch.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#59 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. He reminds me a lot of Dak.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Otis Driftwood » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

I actually think Mahombs is going to be pretty good. But I wouldn't take him in the 1st.

Return to Dallas Cowboys