Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Jalen Brunson 

Post#1 » by BRIGGS » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Radically undervalued.
Many same characteristics as Isiaih Thomas
6-2 200 strong complete ball control body control high IQ shifty knows every angle powerful and lefty Excellent court vision plays at his pace. Pesky smart defender very decent bounder doenst turn it over much.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Re: Jalen Brunson 

Post#2 » by Upperclass » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:31 am

undrafted or super late 2nd round.. he's not an nba player and has zero in common with thomas
SC923
Sophomore
And1: 178

Post#3 » by SC923 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 pm

He lacks explosiveness and athleticism, just doesnt fit in the modern Nba
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#4 » by reanimator » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 pm

He can be a Derrick Fisher type guard if he puts in effort defensively
jonjames
Veteran
And1: 1,757

Post#5 » by jonjames » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

He won't get drafted bc of the aforementioned reasons above but if TJ McConnell can start for an nba team there's no reason he can't play spot minutes off the bench.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Brunson doesn't play a single NBA game imo. Lacking in quite a few important areas.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:46 pm

The_Hater wrote:Brunson doesn't play a single NBA game imo. Lacking in quite a few important areas.

He's returning to college
jsa
Junior
And1: 70

Post#8 » by jsa » Mon May 1, 2017 6:51 pm

Some goods pro's, even at PG, are not super atheletic. His father wasn't, played more than 10 years. Fisher, Andre Miller, Henry Bibby.

He has a chance with another good year, but he is a decided underdog.
Cosmic_Backlash
Junior
And1: 272

Post#9 » by Cosmic_Backlash » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 am

Kid this year is averaging 19/5/3 and putting up a blistering 70% true shooting percentage.

Hard to imagine he's not getting looked at seriously for at least a 2nd round pick anymore. I think he'll go in picks 31-40 this year if he comes out.

Anyone else think he's still under rated? I think he'll make a solid NBA backup.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#10 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:06 am

Cosmic_Backlash wrote:Kid this year is averaging 19/5/3 and putting up a blistering 70% true shooting percentage.

Hard to imagine he's not getting looked at seriously for at least a 2nd round pick anymore. I think he'll go in picks 31-40 this year if he comes out.

Anyone else think he's still under rated? I think he'll make a solid NBA backup.

I'm really high on him, not extremely flashy and doesn't have elite length or massive hops, but just so, so solid. He's built like a truck, he's a really good shooter off the dribble and his playmaking abilities have improved every year.

Confident that he can be a solid backup PG and if his elite shooting translates why couldn't he have a ceiling as a Lowry-esque player on the offensive end?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm

BRIGGS wrote:Radically undervalued.
Many same characteristics as Isiaih Thomas
6-2 200 strong complete ball control body control high IQ shifty knows every angle powerful and lefty Excellent court vision plays at his pace. Pesky smart defender very decent bounder doenst turn it over much.

None of those characteristics make him sound like Thomas.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Cosmic_Backlash wrote:Kid this year is averaging 19/5/3 and putting up a blistering 70% true shooting percentage.

I'm really high on him, not extremely flashy and doesn't have elite length or massive hops, but just so, so solid. He's built like a truck, he's a really good shooter off the dribble and his playmaking abilities have improved every year.

Confident that he can be a solid backup PG and if his elite shooting translates why couldn't he have a ceiling as a Lowry-esque player on the offensive end?

Because Lowry is much quicker and creates a lot more separation with the ball in his hands.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:03 pm

He's actually become a better athlete than given credit for - particularly the ability to explode toward the rim and finish. I think he's an early 2nd rounder with a chance to go late first - especially in this draft which runs out of steam after 20, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#14 » by Kolkmania » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:09 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Because Lowry is much quicker and creates a lot more separation with the ball in his hands.

Well obviously he's not a clone, but I'm not sure if Kyle Lowry was much quicker than Jalen Brunson in college. However, I get what you're saying, but I feel that Brunson doesn't run full speed 90% of the time because there's no need to and that causes an optical illusion that he's slow.
When you watch Chris Paul at his current age you don't see a guy running full speed as well, it's about shiftiness and understanding where to go. TJ McConnell wasn't the quickest guy at Arizona either but he's an excellent point guard in the NBA as well.

I agree that this is a question mark, but with NBA conditioning and better body control he might improve his first step. The Lowry-esque outcome is obviously a ceiling and not a median, otherwise he would be near the top guys in this draft.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Well obviously he's not a clone, but I'm not sure if Kyle Lowry was much quicker than Jalen Brunson in college. However, I get what you're saying, but I feel that Brunson doesn't run full speed 90% of the time because there's no need to and that causes an optical illusion that he's slow.
When you watch Chris Paul at his current age you don't see a guy running full speed as well, it's about shiftiness and understanding where to go. TJ McConnell wasn't the quickest guy at Arizona either but he's an excellent point guard in the NBA as well.

I agree that this is a question mark, but with NBA conditioning and better body control he might improve his first step. The Lowry-esque outcome is obviously a ceiling and not a median, otherwise he would be near the top guys in this draft.

Lowry isn’t even his ceiling at all. Lowry is really quick and even in the videos you’ve provided Lowry is much quicker. And even TJ McConnell was quicker than Brunson, Chris Paul too. Brunson just doesn’t have a second gear. He’s not quick enough and not crafty enough as a handler. Don’t get me wrong, he has a role as a shooter who can pass and control the ball, but beyond that he won’t be able to do as much in the NBA. You know who had the same kind of speed as him in college? D’Angelo Russell, Russell was bigger and more skilled. And now even Russell has a hard time getting into the paint.
Cosmic_Backlash
Junior
And1: 272

Post#16 » by Cosmic_Backlash » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:13 am

I think he's a suitable NBA athlete. As a Magic fan, He kinda reminds me of Jameer Nelson. Doesn't do anything terribly flashy, but is shifty and an above average shooter. I could see his peak years being similar to peak Jameer - not really good enough to be an all-star (although Jameer snuck 1 in), but absolutely good enough to be a suitable starter/really good backup on a playoff caliber team.
Kolkmania
Analyst

Post#17 » by Kolkmania » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 am

doordoor123 wrote:Lowry isn’t even his ceiling at all. Lowry is really quick and even in the videos you’ve provided Lowry is much quicker. And even TJ McConnell was quicker than Brunson, Chris Paul too. Brunson just doesn’t have a second gear. He’s not quick enough and not crafty enough as a handler. Don’t get me wrong, he has a role as a shooter who can pass and control the ball, but beyond that he won’t be able to do as much in the NBA. You know who had the same kind of speed as him in college? D’Angelo Russell, Russell was bigger and more skilled. And now even Russell has a hard time getting into the paint.

Fair enough, I'm not giving up on him yet. A lot can be done with handles, body fakes and there's a chance he gets quicker with NBA training programs. His ability to shoot off the dribble (if it translates) will keep defenses honest and makes it easier to get by defenders, something which wasn't the case for Russell who's been really bad in pull up jumpers in the NBA (I know he was very good at Ohio State, that's why I mentioned the "if it translates").
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#18 » by ItsThatEasy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Cosmic_Backlash wrote:I think he's a suitable NBA athlete. As a Magic fan, He kinda reminds me of Jameer Nelson. Doesn't do anything terribly flashy, but is shifty and an above average shooter. I could see his peak years being similar to peak Jameer - not really good enough to be an all-star (although Jameer snuck 1 in), but absolutely good enough to be a suitable starter/really good backup on a playoff caliber team.

Jameer was far more athletic than Jalen.

Flash and playing style has nothing to do with actual functional athleticism. Jalen isn't an NBA athlete, unfortunate truth.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Still, it's the inability to finish at the rim that stops a lot of very good college PG's from making it in the NBA, and Brunson's going to be a good finisher in the NBA - due to his strength, aggression, decisiveness, and better explosion to the hoop than given credit for.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#20 » by Wizop » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:19 am

Brogdon is my comparison.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to NBA Draft