Motley

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Motley 

Post#1 » by Goldbum » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 am

The more I watch this kid the more I like him. His length is elite, he has fluid hips (moves like an NFL CB), has a sweet mid range game, and nice touch down low. He seems to set above average screens, and has a little nastiness to his game. I feel like he can come in and play day one. I see a medium to high upside (if he can extend his ranve to the 3pt line watch out!) and a super high floor. Still mozt mocks have him on the 1st round/2nd round bubble. I get that he turns it over a bit more than you like, and his length/athleticism hasn't resulted in great BLK #'s (I blame the system), but what am I missing? From what I've seen I think he's going to be a better player than half those guys mocked ahead of him...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Re: Motley 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:54 am

Goldbum wrote:The more I watch this kid the more I like him. His length is elite, he has fluid hips (moves like an NFL CB), has a sweet mid range game, and nice touch down low. He seems to set above average screens, and has a little nastiness to his game. I feel like he can come in and play day one. I see a medium to high upside (if he can extend his ranve to the 3pt line watch out!) and a super high floor. Still mozt mocks have him on the 1st round/2nd round bubble. I get that he turns it over a bit more than you like, and his length/athleticism hasn't resulted in great BLK #'s (I blame the system), but what am I missing? From what I've seen I think he's going to be a better player than half those guys mocked ahead of him...

His length is average for a center (starting centers have an average of 7'4), but his height is below average. Don't think he will be able to guard NBA wings and think he's more valuable inside than outside. He's a good defender though. I think he'll be a good back up center.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#3 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 am

I hate this sentiment that if you don't shoot 3's you are automatically looked at as an undersized center. It's awesome if you can, but it's still more about what position you can defend. And hell, out of all the bigs that aren't already looked at as stretch bigs, he has probably one of the highest chances of becoming one based on the touch/mechanics he shows from both the midrange and FT line.

Motley's defensive fundamentals come and go but the guy might be the fastest, most fluid/flexible big in this class and with more time in a man to man scheme plus nba coaching I don't see why he shouldn't have a chance to be at least average guarding space/pnr plus be switchable in certain situations at the 4.

Don't get me wrong, I have issues with him as prospect. He's kinda immature and a highly emotional player and also can be pretty inconsistent at times. Don't think he's a post up player at all in the nba either (I have a lot more faith in his face-up being translatable) besides on switches since he really struggles with strong and long athletes (gets little lift) but I think he can be a nice versatile pnr threat and pretty dynamic in space created by more talented nba teammates where he'll be in position to better use his above average handle/craft.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#4 » by Coeur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:05 am

?? He's a PF. Definitely underrated. Will be a good pick for someone in the late 1st
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by No-Man » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 am

He isnt gonna be a threat on offense but many bigs aren't and they play, he isnt the type of guy I'd value a ton, but somebody is gonna try to start him at the PF and he is likely going to be a solid defensive guy so I guess for the right organization he carries value.

How you conciliate all of that? well, me personally I don't think I'd have him top40, but at the same time I wouldn't blame anybody that takes him in the 25-40 range, I guess that's my best.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 am

RipCity71252 wrote:I hate this sentiment that if you don't shoot 3's you are automatically looked at as an undersized center. It's awesome if you can, but it's still more about what position you can defend. And hell, out of all the bigs that aren't already looked at as stretch bigs, he has probably one of the highest chances of becoming one based on the touch/mechanics he shows from both the midrange and FT line.

Motley's defensive fundamentals come and go but the guy might be the fastest, most fluid/flexible big in this class and with more time in a man to man scheme plus nba coaching I don't see why he shouldn't have a chance to be at least average guarding space/pnr plus be switchable in certain situations at the 4.

Don't get me wrong, I have issues with him as prospect. He's kinda immature and a highly emotional player and also can be pretty inconsistent at times. Don't think he's a post up player at all in the nba either (I have a lot more faith in his face-up being translatable) besides on switches since he really struggles with strong and long athletes (gets little lift) but I think he can be a nice versatile pnr threat and pretty dynamic in space created by more talented nba teammates where he'll be in position to better use his above average handle/craft.

I see Ed Davis when I watch him play and I think his jumper will be as effective (because I don't like Motley's jumper). Also don't think he's quick compared to NBA athletes. He runs like a center.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#7 » by RipCity71252 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:22 am

doordoor123 wrote:
RipCity71252 wrote:I hate this sentiment that if you don't shoot 3's you are automatically looked at as an undersized center. It's awesome if you can, but it's still more about what position you can defend. And hell, out of all the bigs that aren't already looked at as stretch bigs, he has probably one of the highest chances of becoming one based on the touch/mechanics he shows from both the midrange and FT line.

I see Ed Davis when I watch him play and I think his jumper will be as effective (because I don't like Motley's jumper). Also don't think he's quick compared to NBA athletes. He runs like a center.

No disrespect, but I have no idea where you get that from. Ed Davis was always stiff and rigid but bouncy vertically. Basically the exact opposite of Motley athletically.

He may not be the quickest, but he's rangy and right up there with Patton as one of the fastest bigs end to end in this class.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#8 » by Blazinaway » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:08 pm

doordoor123 wrote:

Ed Davis has no outside shot nor even mid range game, he's all about working inside and is offensively very limited. Haven't seen much of Motley but I was thinking he has quite a bit more of an offensive game - am I wrong?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Ed Davis has no outside shot nor even mid range game, he's all about working inside and is offensively very limited. Haven't seen much of Motley but I was thinking he has quite a bit more of an offensive game - am I wrong?

He shoots, but has a flat shot. Should be more mid-range game than 3pt in the NBA. I see Motley as a P&R partner and a guy that puts rebounds back. His low post game needs work, but I don't have faith he'll develop it because he plays with his chest a lot like Dwight Howard. His movements aren't fluid enough and I don't think he can get down low enough.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#10 » by GimmeDat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 pm

I like him right at the start of the 2nd round. Seems like a very capable big that should be able to find a niche in the league.

Return to NBA Draft