ImageImageImageImage

Woj: Magic interested in David Griffin, Lloyd in the running

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Woj: Magic interested in David Griffin, Lloyd in the running 

Post#1 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-orlando-magic-interested-cavaliers-gm-david-griffin-143419598.html

The Orlando Magic’s search process for a new top basketball executive could extend until the end of the Cleveland Cavaliers’ playoff run, which would allow Orlando to gauge the interest of general manager David Griffin, league sources told The Vertical.

The Magic are researching multiple possible candidates to replace former GM Rob Hennigan, but the possibility of Griffin does intrigue Orlando president Alex Martins and top Magic officials, league sources said.

Griffin’s contract expires at the end of the season and talks on a new contract with Cavaliers ownership have been stalled for months, league sources said. There’s an increasing belief among league executives that Griffin could be lured away from Cleveland, league sources said.

Griffin was the front-office architect of Cleveland’s 2016 NBA championship team. The Cavs hold a 3-0 series lead over Indiana in the first-round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Nevertheless, owner Dan Gilbert has the highest payroll in the NBA at $126 million and rewarded coach Ty Lue with a five-year, $35 million contract. So far, Gilbert has hesitated in offering Griffin an extension that’s on par with the NBA’s championship-level executives, league sources told The Vertical.

The Magic are using Jed Hughes of the Korn Ferry search firm to gather information on the process, but Martins has been significantly engaged in the identification and vetting of candidates, league sources said.

Assistant GM Matt Lloyd has been working as the interim general manager, and will be a candidate for the permanent GM job. Lloyd is so well-respected by his front-office peers, several GMs told The Vertical, that they’ve been reluctant to make recommendations to Orlando about potential candidates because they hoped that Martins and ownership would seriously consider Lloyd’s candidacy.

The Magic are patient enough to wait until the end of the NBA Finals for a chance to engage Griffin, allowing Lloyd to prepare for the NBA draft and set a course for July free agency, league sources said.
aka: prorl
BN
Starter
And1: 28

Re: Woj: Magic interested in David Griffin, Lloyd in the running 

Post#2 » by BN » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#3 » by cedric76 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 pm

Oh dear. Lebron is making the moves. Griffin is just a puppet

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#4 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

cedric76 wrote:Oh dear. Lebron is making the moves. Griffin is just a puppet

The worst part I read is that they (by they i mean Alex) may be willing to wait until after Cle finishes in the playoffs to talk to him....you mean in the middle of June....We are such a dumb franchise if this is the case. Yea just hire some dude who lucked into Lebron being born in that city and wanting to play there again and then have him do the draft with little or no preparation for this team's needs. We might as well just promote Lloyd.
aka: prorl
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#5 » by MoMM » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:

Yea just hire some dude who lucked into Lebron being born in that city and wanting to play there again...

Sounds we have a plan :lol:

Let's build more basketball courts in Orlando to increase our odds.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#6 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm

but Martins has been significantly engaged in the identification and vetting of candidates

This just makes me cringe.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#7 » by darthcheech2000 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 pm

I'd rather hire Dan Gilberts son to rep us at the draft lottery.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#8 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:42 pm

darthcheech2000 wrote:I'd rather hire Dan Gilberts son to rep us at the draft lottery.

:rofl2:
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#9 » by Flannerz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

I think it's a fantastic idea to appoint the man who drafted Anthony Bennett at number one. Now, where's my medication?
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#10 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Assistant GM Matt Lloyd has been working as the interim general manager, and will be a candidate for the permanent GM job. Lloyd is so well-respected by his front-office peers, several GMs told The Vertical, that they’ve been reluctant to make recommendations to Orlando about potential candidates because they hoped that Martins and ownership would seriously consider Lloyd’s candidacy.

Who is the they? The search firm or other GMs? Who hopes we just hire Lloyd?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#11 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

I don't know if being gifted #1 overall draft picks qualify as being an Architect.

Anyone know if Griffin drafted Bennet?

Otherwise, he has picked up quality vets but that ain't hard when you have Lebron on your team.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#12 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Flannerz wrote:I think it's a fantastic idea to appoint the man who drafted Anthony Bennett at number one. Now, where's my medication?

Well you may need some heavier stuff because Chris Grant drafted Bennet and was fired for it. Not David Griffin.
magicfan4life88
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#13 » by magicfan4life88 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:

The worst part I read is that they (by they i mean Alex) may be willing to wait until after Cle finishes in the playoffs to talk to him....you mean in the middle of June....We are such a dumb franchise if this is the case. Yea just hire some dude who lucked into Lebron being born in that city and wanting to play there again and then have him do the draft with little or no preparation for this team's needs. We might as well just promote Lloyd.

Well since Matt Lloyd is the one running draft ops I think we will be fine, also did you bother to take into consideration he may be hired for President of basketball operations?
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#14 » by Flannerz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
Flannerz wrote:I think it's a fantastic idea to appoint the man who drafted Anthony Bennett at number one. Now, where's my medication?

Well you may need some heavier stuff because Chris Grant drafted Bennet and was fired for it. Not David Griffin.

I'm usually drunk so I'll blame it on that :D
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#15 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Maybe, if the Magic hired Griffin, then that means Lebron will be wearing a Magic jersey next season!!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#16 » by Def Swami » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Saw this tweet like 11 days ago and made me wonder...now it seems more relevant.
Read on Twitter

I'm a huge proponent of someone like David Griffin. He has a lot of front office experience. Spent 17 years with the Phoenix Suns and worked his way to Senior VP of Basketball Operations there. Then helped lead the Cavs to a championship. Give the man some credit; he has been part of some really good teams, which is more than anyone in the franchise can say. Lebron is the most instrumental part of Cleveland's success, but someone had to facilitate that from a cap standpoint and he made some big time trades that led to that championship, including acquiring JR Smith, Iman Shumpert, and Channing Frye. I think someone like Griffin would be a huge get. He has a lot of relationships around the league and is well-respected. Wouldn't be shocked to see him in a President of Basketball Ops role, while Matt Lloyd continues as GM.

A little more inclined to read that new book Return of the King. Have heard some really interesting anecdotes about David Griffin from the book.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#17 » by flying_mollusk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Def Swami wrote:Saw this tweet like 11 days ago and made me wonder...now it seems more relevant.
Read on Twitter

Wouldn't be shocked to see him in a President of Basketball Ops role, while Matt Lloyd continues as GM.

Thats my hope. I want Lloyd to be the GM.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#18 » by Versubio » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Saw this tweet like 11 days ago and made me wonder...now it seems more relevant.
Read on Twitter

Wouldn't be shocked to see him in a President of Basketball Ops role, while Matt Lloyd continues as GM.

Thats my hope. I want Lloyd to be the GM.

That would definitely work for me.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#19 » by EAS Law » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

All David Griffin has done is be on his position while LeBron decided to come back to Cleveland.

I would not in any way be excited for this guy.

I would like everyone to think of what their opinion of Hennigan is or will be if we end up getting this Laker pick, and think of the subsequent performance of anyone we've traded since he was our GM, then tell me he's really that awful.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#20 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

didnt Chris Grant draft Bennet?

Return to Orlando Magic