How the NFL is out to screw your favorite team with the schedule

Moderator: bwgood77

RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

How the NFL is out to screw your favorite team with the schedule 

Post#1 » by RavenMad31 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:20 pm

The NFL schedule is out and most of us fans are paranoid and assume an NFL conspiracy is the only thing standing between us and perfect seasons every season. That being said, what part of your 2017 schedule has you convinced that the NFL is just out to get you?

In three consecutive weeks, they send us to London to play Jacksonville, the only place where they play well, then at home to play Pittsburgh and wrap that stretch up with a west coast trip to play the Raiders.
Our strength of schedule alone has to be near the highest going into next year, though that is almost solely predetermined ahead of time by whatever divisions we are supposed to face in 2017.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Re: How the NFL is out to screw your favorite team with the schedule 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Probably that the Chargers three toughest non division games are all on the road (Pats, Cowboys, Giants).
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#3 » by Revived » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Probably that the Chargers three toughest non division games are all on the road (Pats, Cowboys, Giants).

Plus no prime time home games.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#4 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Cowboys December (@ NY Giants, @ Raiders, Seahawks, @ Eagles) is brutal.

No matter - gotta play 'em all.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 am

Open at GreenBay & an early bye week. Otherwise I'm cool with it.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#6 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 am

Otis Driftwood wrote:Cowboys December (@ NY Giants, @ Raiders, Seahawks, @ Eagles) is brutal.

The league had to make up for last years' cupcake of a schedule. I believe Dallas had like the 30th SOS last year. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:25 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Cowboys December (@ NY Giants, @ Raiders, Seahawks, @ Eagles) is brutal.

The league had to make up for last years' cupcake of a schedule. I believe Dallas had like the 30th SOS last year. :wink:

Meh. It was tougher at this time last year. That's the thing about schedules.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,113

Post#8 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:19 am

Texans and Cowboys should be a yearly thing, alternating cities each year.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#9 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 am

The good thing about Dallas and the couple other teams in the middle of the country is that their road trips aren't far enough to throw them off their time schedule too much.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:27 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:

The good thing about Dallas and the couple other teams in the middle of the country is that their road trips aren't far enough to throw them off their time schedule too much.

True. Pretty much a 3 hour flight at the worst. And kickoff times don't screw with the body clock either.

I did hear someone on my other board complaining that Green Bay has a Sunday night game this season followed by a Thursday nighter. He's convinced the league hates the Packers. I laughed.
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#11 » by RavenMad31 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:

True. Pretty much a 3 hour flight at the worst. And kickoff times don't screw with the body clock either.

I did hear someone on my other board complaining that Green Bay has a Sunday night game this season followed by a Thursday nighter. He's convinced the league hates the Packers. I laughed.

I'll give him this, that's a screwed up thing to do to a team, but if there is one team in the NFL that the league doesn't hate, it's the Packers. As an aside, how would you feel about an 18 week schedule with 2 byes and one of the bye weeks precedes Thursday night games. I really like the Thursday night games, especially since they are on network TV. It's a nice appetizer for the weekend games. This would solve the recovery time complaint which is more than valid, especially when the league is talking about player safety out of the other side of its mouth.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:20 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
RavenMad31 wrote:The good thing about Dallas and the couple other teams in the middle of the country is that their road trips aren't far enough to throw them off their time schedule too much.

I'll give him this, that's a screwed up thing to do to a team, but if there is one team in the NFL that the league doesn't hate, it's the Packers. As an aside, how would you feel about an 18 week schedule with 2 byes and one of the bye weeks precedes Thursday night games. I really like the Thursday night games, especially since they are on network TV. It's a nice appetizer for the weekend games. This would solve the recovery time complaint which is more than valid, especially when the league is talking about player safety out of the other side of its mouth.

You know... they did that early on in the "bye week" concept. The teams didn't like it and most fans didn't either. Their opinions were that it really messed with the continuity of the season and didn't help much with injuries. I didn't have a big problem with it. The only thing I would say is that I don't want the season starting any later than it does... and I don't want to see the Super Bowl moved into mid-February. If that moved the start of the season back a week (to September 3 in this year's case) then I'm all for it.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#13 » by hermes » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 pm

fairly difficult close for the vikes (three road games in a row in late nov/early dec - lions, falcons, panthers)

more primetime games than i would have thought - at least we got the early monday night opener this year
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#14 » by shawn_hemp » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:13 am

Eagles got a pretty nice schedule actually. Mentioned that in the NFC East thread

we play Chicago from the NFC North and Carolina from the NFC South

NFC East plays the AFC West and NFC West this year so the rest of our schedule was already fairly manageable.

Bye week before our game in Dallas, probably the best time we could have gotten it
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Schedule is what it is. Take them one game and one week at a time. This is just a drama queen thread to begin with.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:16 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Schedule is what it is. Take them one game and one week at a time. This is just a drama queen thread to begin with.

The drama queen thread is the one where we have to listen to "strength of schedule" arguments inside the division. Only difference between the four teams in the NFC East is two games each. That's all. I won't waste my time with those discussions.
RavenMad31
Senior

Post#17 » by RavenMad31 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:Schedule is what it is. Take them one game and one week at a time. This is just a drama queen thread to begin with.

Lol. It was totally meant to be.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:00 am

RavenMad31 wrote:

Lol. It was totally meant to be.

Someone had to take over this off season without Ernie around, :lol:
TheOnlyQuayH
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#19 » by TheOnlyQuayH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:28 pm

New England's schedule this year is a little harder than usually but still manageable. I do not like that we have to play on the road 3 games in a row. I guess that's what you get when you're the defending champs.
bsjaffe6
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#20 » by bsjaffe6 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:53 pm

The Redskins first four games are not Friendly maybe 1 win maybe 2 if captain Kirk wants the big money here is chance guide the skins to 3 wins in the first 4 and get them into the play-offs and win at least 1 game then he gets his pay otherwise cut him loose

Return to The General NFL Board